Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Tuskin38 posted:

ok I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure i saw a naval unit icon in Switzerland for a second.

There is something called HOI4: War Stories

https://steamdb.info/app/445630/

Maybe that's another ebook thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
That would make sense.

Also I think the steam store page got new screenshots, might be wrong.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Pre-Purchase Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet Edition (Pre-Order) - $39.99
Pre-Purchase Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel Edition (Pre-Order) - $49.99
Pre-Purchase Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal Edition (Pre-Order) - $89.99

Hm... wonder what the difference is.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

COOL CORN posted:

Pre-Purchase Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet Edition (Pre-Order) - $39.99
Pre-Purchase Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel Edition (Pre-Order) - $49.99
Pre-Purchase Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal Edition (Pre-Order) - $89.99

Hm... wonder what the difference is.

Nothing in Steam right now, I guess they're still updating the page.

But they just showed a new trailer on Twitch and as per the stream, the differences are:

The Field Marshal edition includes expansion pack #1 but I don't know if that (plus the few extras that really make no difference) is really worth an extra $45...

edit: oh, now the Steam page is updated and the FM edition includes the first 2 expansions, not just 1 (estimated value of $49.99USD). I guess that's a little more palatable.

VVV - yes, I just saw it was updated.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 17, 2016

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

But they just showed a new trailer on Twitch and as per the stream, the differences are:

The Field Marshal edition includes expansion pack #1 but I don't know if that (plus the few extras that really make no difference) is really worth an extra $45...

According to the shop it's the first two expansion packs.
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/hearts-of-iron-iv-field-marshall-edition

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Hopefully there'll be a bunch of discounts floating around? Like I got Stellaris from Green Man Gaming with a 20% discount (got the Warhammer Total War preorder too)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Huh I thought Paradox said they wouldn't do season pass type deals. And $50 for the two expansions? I hope that includes the content packs too.

details all up on Steam:

quote:

Heavy Cruiser Pack:
Seven heavy cruisers available for both Axis and Allies - Exeter, Prinz Eugen and Mogami amongst others.
Soviet Tank Pack:
Eight tanks for when playing as Soviet, ranging from light all the way up to Super Heavy.
US Tank Pack:
Eight tanks for when playing as USA, ranging from light all the way up to Super Heavy.
British Tank Pack:
Eight tanks for when playing as United Kingdom, ranging from light all the way up to Super Heavy.
Wallpaper:
Wallpapers made with art from the game.
Field Marshal Forum Icon:
A icon that can be used on Paradox own forum.
German Tank Pack:
Eight tanks for when playing as Germany, ranging from light all the way up to Super Heavy.
French Tank Pack:
Eight tanks for when playing as Soviet, ranging from light all the way up to Super Heavy.
Unique portraits from the game to use as avatars on Paradox Forum.
Expansion Pass #1:
Includes the first 2 expansion and it’s related content, to an estimated value of $49.99.

Have to say it's much more enticing than the Stellaris preorder bonuses, I'm definitely getting the $50 at least and I might relent and get the $90 one :whitewater: but then art books are something I actually appreciate.

Can we get any details, even super vague ones, about what the expansions are gonna be?

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 17, 2016

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Koramei posted:

And $50 for the two expansions? That'd better include the content packs too.

It says first two expansions "and its related content" so I imagine that it does

Post-release Polish DLC free for everyone aparently

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So wait, are the tank packs additional in-game units that actually have an effect on play, or just pretty looking sprites like the CK2 and EU4 content packs?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

COOL CORN posted:

So wait, are the tank packs additional in-game units that actually have an effect on play, or just pretty looking sprites like the CK2 and EU4 content packs?

I'm pretty sure they're just eyecandy. Instead of looking like generic Medium Tank 2, it now looks like a Panzer III or Sherman. So your board game looks more authentic.

edit: VVV - look man, I know we're all thinking it but you don't need to be mean and point it out.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 17, 2016

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

So what's the Polish DLC? A screen door on your submarine? Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha...hahaha

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

COOL CORN posted:

You will not be able to build tanks unless you purchase the tank pack

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Sharzak posted:

You will not be able to build tanks unless you purchase the tank pack

You can totally build tanks but it's a microtransaction of 99 cents per tank.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
But why Poland? Do you really need a focus tree and unique models to spend three years building up and then get smashed by Germany and the Soviet Union? I mean, I know it's possible to survive as Poland but how many people are going to actually do that? Why not China or something?

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Kaza42 posted:

But why Poland?

You've seen the Paradox forums, right?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
It's the Purple Phoenix of Hearts of Iron preorder bonuses. :v:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Athaboros posted:

You've seen the Paradox forums, right?

No, then it would be Serbia/Yugoslavia.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Groogy posted:

Why? A ton of wars were started during this era with economical growth as motivator. Also I want to know what nation you play as where you can avoid wars all together.

I said try not succeed.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Kaza42 posted:

But why Poland? Do you really need a focus tree and unique models to spend three years building up and then get smashed by Germany and the Soviet Union? I mean, I know it's possible to survive as Poland but how many people are going to actually do that? Why not China or something?

When the delays happened and people were happy because they figured that this would mean the game would get more polish, Paradox got some signals crossed.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

TheMcD posted:

When the delays happened and people were happy because they figured that this would mean the game would get more polish, Paradox got some signals crossed.

lmao

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Cross the streams. Add Pontus.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

How are you guys gonna ask "what country can I play for a pacifist Vicky 2 run?" and not mention Switzerland? :colbert:

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Kaza42 posted:

China doesn't have indigenous tanks so it doesn't need special models, and it already has a unique focus tree

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

walgreenslatino posted:

China doesn't have indigenous tanks so it doesn't need special models, and it already has a unique focus tree

It actually doesn't.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
How will these tank packs affect my NATO counters?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

quote:

PC System
Requirements

Minimum:

They're moving to 64 bit. About time.

It's a shame they've never back ported Clausewitz improvements to older games. EU4 and Stellaris run fine on my laptop, but CK2 is a total dog.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

ArchangeI posted:

You can totally build tanks but it's a microtransaction of 99 cents per tank.

no you fool, it's 99 cents to buy 100 tank mana.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I am now the proud owner of Johan Anderson's Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal Edition:godwinning:

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Kaza42 posted:

Other than Paradox forums being very fond of my country for some reason, I would speculate it is also because of their longstanding deal with CDP. PDX games have always sold very well over here.

e: Also, first to fight, the war started here, never surrendered, etc.

mackintosh fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 17, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Do you need the content packs to have the correct names of the tanks in the game (e.g. Sherman, Tiger etc. instead of Medium Tank I, Heavy Tank I etc.) or do they just affect the visual representation for people who don't appreciate the full awesomeness of NATO counters (e.g. a stupid people tax)?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Poland games were some of my favorite in HoI2, I usually relied on gamey nonsense but in one I did manage to defeat both Germany and the USSR, which ranks second to my Sweden game where I annexed Japan.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's gotta be purely cosmetic. And to be fair there'll probably also be half a zillion Improved German Armor Models mods about 3 weeks after the game launches.

e: also aside from China, Poland seems like one of the most relevant countries to include, who else would you guys suggest?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like if they ever make a Vicky 3, it would help a lot to base the warfare on the HoI model rather than EU - especially if they integrated the strategic planning options in HoI4. That way it would be less about micromanaging your elite troops and hordes of conscripts and more about setting up a front line and then ensuring your production and supply lines hold up, which I feel would fit the economic focus of the Victoria series better than the EU style army management.

the thing about vicky 2 is that it starts as something like eu's warfare, napoleonic-era armies marching around, and smoothly transitions into ww1 as technology advances and populations grow. it's a neat trick, but the problem with trying to make two games at the same time is that you may not end up making either well...

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
In my head I am thinking of a model where you move stacks around at the EU4 level of detail but they would position themselves in the territory at an HOI level detail

Eh likely a bad idea

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
There's another 25% discount on GMG that works for all editions: IRON25

Field marshal edition for $67.50 means you basically get one of the future DLCs for free, definitely gonna go with that now.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Koramei posted:

e: also aside from China, Poland seems like one of the most relevant countries to include, who else would you guys suggest?

Yeah, that's fair. It was just a sort of surprise reaction, but it does make sense once I think about it. I'd still prefer China, or possibly Hungary, but Poland isn't as weird as I thought at first.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Kaza42 posted:

I don't know about China but I'm assuming some of southern Europe will be getting focus trees. It'd be a little weird to never have trees for Hungary, Romania, or Yugoslavia.

Edit: When I play Texas I also get the USA to invade Haiti for me so I have enough pops to be at least a little viable. You can get a nice chunk of immigration late game too if you pass enough reforms and can snag a few colonies.
vvvvvvvvvv

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 17, 2016

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Groogy posted:

Why? A ton of wars were started during this era with economical growth as motivator. Also I want to know what nation you play as where you can avoid wars all together.

Texas is one of my favorite nations to play as in Vic 2 where I play passively. Sure, it starts out in a war, but the US comes to your rescue pretty quick and keeps you independent. Then it's just a matter of maintaining relations and maybe going after Oklahoma and New Mexico to make your borders pretty. Fun game though even without wars, just trying to survive as a nation that wasn't meant to be.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
The air and naval reorganization windows could be improved with some stats in the UI. Its much easier to organize air wings when you know the relative strength of the different planes you're moving around, would be more intuitive than "Interwar Bomber" and "Tactical Bomber I"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
I'm not sure if I'm going to get the Cadet or Colonel edition. Really don't care about the accuracy of the models, I'll probably turn them off.