Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
u can't put a price on ~pride of ownership~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
My plan is to just kill myself. There's no realistic expectation that I can continue to live in a house or afford shelter. There's no path forward for people at the bottom, we're just expected to curl up and die somewhere out of sight.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
hurry it up

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

War Wizard posted:

My plan is to just kill myself. There's no realistic expectation that I can continue to live in a house or afford shelter. There's no path forward for people at the bottom, we're just expected to curl up and die somewhere out of sight.

It always surprises me that "going postal and taking some bastards out with you" isn't above just dying quietly. Guess I'm just fundamentally a bad person.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If you're gonna check out do the rest of us a favour and take some of those rich fucks with you, thanks

e: beaten and my faith in humanity restored

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

bartlebyshop posted:

People will go insane if they can't have a "living room" in their house they keep pristine and unused except when guests are over, which they never are.

Man gently caress living rooms. Such a pointless waste.

If I hit rock bottom with no way to climb back out, I don't think I'd kill myself. Not immediately anyway.

I'd go live in the forest and try my hand at being a half insane reclusive mountain man. It's always kind of appealed to me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Butcher posted:

Man gently caress living rooms. Such a pointless waste.

If I hit rock bottom with no way to climb back out, I don't think I'd kill myself. Not immediately anyway.

I'd go live in the forest and try my hand at being a half insane reclusive mountain man. It's always kind of appealed to me.

Are you arguing that we should all just have bedrooms attached to kitchens and bathrooms directly or what? Or am I misunderstanding what you call a living room (the room where your TV and couch and maybe computer is)?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I don't need anything more than a bed, pan,, computer, and feeding tube to make internet posts and I don't understand why anyone would want anything more out of life

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

Are you arguing that we should all just have bedrooms attached to kitchens and bathrooms directly or what? Or am I misunderstanding what you call a living room (the room where your TV and couch and maybe computer is)?

That's a family room. The one the family actually hangs out in and uses.

The living room is a room that you keep spotless and never use except for entertaining fancy guests and maybe Christmas Day.

Might be a regional term variation?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Butcher posted:

The living room is a room that you keep spotless and never use except for entertaining fancy guests and maybe Christmas Day.

Must be. I've seen houses with those and it's weird. Still, I would call the primary room with all things unrelated to sleeping, loving, making GBS threads, cooking, and bathing the "living room.". It may or may not be contiguous with a dining area.

Also, gently caress having a separate " breakfast nook"

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

The Butcher posted:

That's a living room. The one the family actually hangs out in and uses.

The dining room is a room that you keep spotless and never use except for entertaining fancy guests and maybe Christmas Day.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I live in a 100 sqft 1 bedroom apartment and sleep in something resembling a file cabinet drawer, but I'm posting on the internet so I must be doing okay.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Seriously though the original entertaining room is the drawing room.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

what about the conservatory?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Claverjoe posted:

It always surprises me that "going postal and taking some bastards out with you" isn't above just dying quietly. Guess I'm just fundamentally a bad person.

You're among friends, goon.

e. Fundamentally bad person friends, but still.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

DariusLikewise posted:

I live in a 100 sqft 1 bedroom apartment and sleep in something resembling a file cabinet drawer, but I'm posting on the internet so I must be doing okay.

You have a cell phone just like a rich person would this mean that there are no such thing as job security issues, housing issues, income inequality issues. Society is doing just fine.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Who was it that reported that the poor are fine because they have cell phones and refrigerators? Anyone have a link to that article?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Guess who!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
"Poor"

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
How many people without households have a fridge?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

ZShakespeare posted:

what about the conservatory?

That's for storing lead pipes and wrenches.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cultural Imperial posted:

My mind is blown that the crea is calling the top of the market.

I tried to buy a family sized house on the weekend... 9 different bidders and sold for 172k over asking.

I'd hate to find out what things would look like if this wasn't the top of the market.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bidding wars that don't end until someone calls in a favor and all the other bidders get beaten to death by Triad members?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

EvilJoven posted:

Bidding wars that don't end until someone calls in a favor and all the other bidders get beaten to death by Triad members?

It was near the Danforth so greeks but yeah

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
what the gently caress is a danforth

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

what the gently caress is a danforth

Greektown

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lmao gently caress off i'm not googling anything about eastern canada i've got better things to do

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
If you kill yourself due to the crushing poverty imposed by our society and you don't first try to take out a few politicians who put you there, or at least Jimmy Patterson, you're basically a retard. :colbert:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Boomers need separate rooms for every activity. You can't just have one big living room that has your TV and is where you hang out with guests.

My parents, who are always stressed about finances have:
1 formal dining room that is used once every few years, tops. It's very upsetting that this room isn't fully decked out in the most expensive furniture.
1 very large formal living room that is used maybe once a year and needs to be stocked with expensive sofas and tables and decor and kept immaculate.
1 large living room that is actually used for most guests.
1 large basement living room that is used for watching movies/sports with friends.
1 large spare bedroom that is totally empty save for a single small desk for a laptop.
2 very large bedrooms
1 medium sized bedroom
A full basement suite that is unused
Every used room also needs a TV

I tell them selling would solve all their problems, even just downsizing to a 2 br house with a basement den or something would see them set for life financially. But moving is scary and they have a hard time imagining living in a smaller space, so it's never going to happen.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Rime posted:

If you kill yourself due to the crushing poverty imposed by our society and you don't first try to take out a few politicians who put you there, or at least Jimmy Patterson, you're basically a retard. :colbert:

kill this guy who can't even spell the names on his hit list first

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Boomers need separate rooms for every activity. You can't just have one big living room that has your TV and is where you hang out with guests.

1 formal dining room that is used once every few years, tops. It's very upsetting that this room isn't fully decked out in the most expensive furniture.
1 very large formal living room that is used maybe once a year and needs to be stocked with expensive sofas and tables and decor and kept immaculate.
1 large basement living room that is used for watching movies/sports with friends.
1 large spare bedroom that is totally empty save for a single small desk for a laptop.
2 very large bedrooms
1 medium sized bedroom

I tell them selling would solve all their problems, even just downsizing to a 2 br house with a basement den or something would see them set for life financially. But moving is scary and they have a hard time imagining living in a smaller space, so it's never going to happen.

kill you're parents

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.vice.com/en_ca/video/surreal-estate-part-one

lmao 'lively hip hop scene'

i saw moka only at brassneck brewery over the weekend. much dank so hip hop wow

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
:qq: i can't buy a home :qq:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I move often for work and my favorite part is having to go through all my poo poo every few years because it allows me to throw out all the dumb stuff I don't need anymore (or probably never needed in the first place). I'm moving later this year and will be getting rid of our spare room because it serves no real purpose, and the sort of people who would get pissy about having to sleep on a cot are the kind of people we don't want to host anyways.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Baronjutter posted:

2 very large bedrooms
1 medium sized bedroom

My parents had a house like this and then actually downsized because it was a pain in the rear end to clean without kids to help you.

I tore down half the walls in my house and don't put anything in the basement because gently caress owning stuff.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

My parents are planning to downsize and they've been clearing stuff out and selling things with a zeal usually reserved for cult members.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Vacancy solution for Vancouver? Tear down old rental buildings and replace them with high-end condos

quote:

In the rules of Vancouver real estate, there's an unofficial 11th commandment when it comes to rental buildings, says analyst David Goodman.

"Thou shalt not tear down under any circumstances."

And now, he says, is the time to break it.

David Goodman, a well-known Vancouver real estate marketer since the 1970's, who authors a quarterly report on the rental market, calls it a crisis. One that can only be solved, he argues, by ending a freeze on tearing down old rental buildings in the city of Vancouver.

While many Vancouver renters live in privately owned condos or suites in houses, dedicated rental buildings are seen as offering long term security and better protection from rising rents.

It's why there are growing calls from both sides of the political spectrum for city hall to re-think its policy on preserving existing rental stock — at all costs.

The vast majority of rental buildings in Vancouver were built half a century ago, when three stories was the norm and no one was concerned about maximizing density.

In fact, at least 80 per cent of purpose-built rental buildings in the city fall into that category, says David Hutniak, who as CEO of Landlord B.C. represents many of those building owners.

"A lot of land that exists is sitting under three storey walk-ups, and there's regulations preventing tearing them down."

In other words, too many buildings with too few units are taking up too much space.

If they were torn down bigger buildings — with many more rental units — could replace them.

Daves Goodman and Hutniak, the same assholes who wanted to overhaul the tenancy regs because it's so hard on the poor suffering landlords. Yes clearly these gentlemen just want to promote affordable rental housing!

Also, lol, CBC "Analysis". Basically "this guy said a thing". Refers to "growing calls" which are mostly coming from that guy.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 17, 2016

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/video/surreal-estate-part-one

lmao 'lively hip hop scene'

i saw moka only at brassneck brewery over the weekend. much dank so hip hop wow

sponsored by VanCity

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

THC posted:

Vacancy solution for Vancouver? Tear down old rental buildings and replace them with high-end condos

Daves Goodman and Hutniak, the same assholes who wanted to overhaul the tenancy regs because it's so hard on the poor suffering landlords. Yes clearly these gentlemen just want to promote affordable rental housing!

Also, lol, CBC "Analysis". Basically "this guy said a thing". Refers to "growing calls" which are mostly coming from that guy.
I'd be fine tearing down three story purpose built rentals if they were replaced with taller purpose built rentals of the same square footage. But we all know they would build micro condos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

They would replace 100 cheap old apartments with 300 luxury condos and 80 "affordable" rental units starting at just $1500 a month for a 250sf studio. Also if you live there you have to use the poor people entrance and you can't use any of the amenities.