Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I tried backtracking to the temple before that point and the priest guy wouldn't let me in. So I dunno if you can without triggering the Dark Aeons.

Huh, maybe you can't actually get into the temple at that point then, I'd already got the destruction sphere and backtracked for other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm trying really, really hard to push myself to the "interesting" parts of FFx-2's battle system, but it's just such a slog on par with FF13-2 in terms of there being purely button mashing, which is my problem with most ATB games. Is there any mission point that the game picks up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, as soon as you select New Game on the menu.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The destruction sphere in Besaid leads to a weapon for Yuna that's good until like Mi'Hen Highroads, it's nothing to go crazy over.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, as soon as you select New Game on the menu.

Okay so never, thanks for that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why are you mashing buttons in X-2

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

X-2 is the one game you shouldn't mash buttons in, since you can easily time your attacks in tandem with the others in your party to interrupt enemy attacks. I dunno what the gently caress Tae is doing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

The destruction sphere in Besaid leads to a weapon for Yuna that's good until like Mi'Hen Highroads, it's nothing to go crazy over.

The point is not locking yourself out of Anima without having to deal with an extra level of crap (dark valefor)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Help Im Alive posted:

Why are you mashing buttons in X-2

Selecting options in the menu is button mashing.

Unless they're literally just mashing the first thing in the menu to fight and then BOY are they wasting time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

X-2 is the one game you shouldn't mash buttons in, since you can easily time your attacks in tandem with the others in your party to interrupt enemy attacks. I dunno what the gently caress Tae is doing.

I'm attacking with my warrior/gunner/thief, switching to mage for the obvious fire weakness, and dancing darkness against iron giants.

I'm not literally just mashing buttons randomly, the gently caress.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
How many FF games could a computer randomly mashing buttons beat anyway?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The point is not locking yourself out of Anima without having to deal with an extra level of crap (dark valefor)

Mom locked me out of my anime and now I have to deal with an extra level of crap (parental controls)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tae posted:

I'm attacking with my warrior/gunner/thief, switching to mage for the obvious fire weakness, and dancing darkness against iron giants.

I'm not literally just mashing buttons randomly, the gently caress.

That's still stupidly early in the game and you probably won't even have a lot of the stunlocking skills yet.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That's still stupidly early in the game and you probably won't even have a lot of the stunlocking skills yet.

That's why I asked when the game gets to that sweet point that everyone gushes over.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I didn't finish any fiesta runs last year because I ran into a brick wall named Byblos with only thieves and berserkers at my disposal, and I was pretty busy with Heavensward anyway. I'll have to make up for it this year.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ibram Gaunt posted:

On the plus side once you can handle Dark Valefor, getting Anima and the Three Sisters should be a cakewalk!

In theory. :shepicide:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

1) Yojimbo
2) Reload a lot

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i posted it when it came out on vita/ps3 so i'll do it again now, here's a basic backtracking guide if you want to grab a bunch of decent blitz players and all the jecht spheres and crap. do this immediately after beating spherimorph in macalania woods:

code:
Macalania Woods:  
-Jecht Sphere (Woods South)  

Thunder Plains:  
-Jecht Sphere (South (East Area))  

Moonflow:  
-Sign Miyu (Defender) (North Wharf)  
-Jecht Sphere (South Wharf)  

Djose Temple:   
-Sign Kyou (Defender) (Left Bridge)  

Mushroom Rock Road:  
-Jecht Sphere (Precipice by Elevator)  

Mi'ihen Highroad:  
-Jecht Sphere (Southernmost End of Old Road)  

Mi'ihen Agency:  
-Sign Ropp (MF/Defender)  

Luca:  
-Sign Wedge (Near Stadium (Forward))  
-Sign Jumal (Near Fountain (GK))  
-Jecht Sphere (Stadium Basement (Outside Auroch's Locker Room))  

S.S. Liki:  
-Jecht Sphere (Bridge)  

Besaid Village:  
-Jecht Sphere (Near Temple)  
-Valefor's Second Limit (Talk to Shopkeep girl, then talk to Dog in NE Residence) 

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also if you want to scam the system keep resetting the tournaments by deleting all data until you see the prize you want, go recruit those guys, mop the floor because at level 1 they are better than anything else

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Tae posted:

I'm trying really, really hard to push myself to the "interesting" parts of FFx-2's battle system, but it's just such a slog on par with FF13-2 in terms of there being purely button mashing, which is my problem with most ATB games. Is there any mission point that the game picks up.

Most enemies can be beaten simply by mashing attack, if you're at a high enough level. Some standout enemies (Amorphous Gel in Macalania, Stalwart in Kilika) will ruin your poo poo if you do that, though. Even early in the game you can do interesting things. Are you trying to create long chains?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

baram. posted:

i posted it when it came out on vita/ps3 so i'll do it again now, here's a basic backtracking guide if you want to grab a bunch of decent blitz players and all the jecht spheres and crap. do this immediately after beating spherimorph in macalania woods:

code:
Macalania Woods:  
-Jecht Sphere (Woods South)  

Thunder Plains:  
-Jecht Sphere (South (East Area))  

Moonflow:  
-Sign Miyu (Defender) (North Wharf)  
-Jecht Sphere (South Wharf)  

Djose Temple:   
-Sign Kyou (Defender) (Left Bridge)  

Mushroom Rock Road:  
-Jecht Sphere (Precipice by Elevator)  

Mi'ihen Highroad:  
-Jecht Sphere (Southernmost End of Old Road)  

Mi'ihen Agency:  
-Sign Ropp (MF/Defender)  

Luca:  
-Sign Wedge (Near Stadium (Forward))  
-Sign Jumal (Near Fountain (GK))  
-Jecht Sphere (Stadium Basement (Outside Auroch's Locker Room))  

S.S. Liki:  
-Jecht Sphere (Bridge)  

Besaid Village:  
-Jecht Sphere (Near Temple)  
-Valefor's Second Limit (Talk to Shopkeep girl, then talk to Dog in NE Residence) 

Generally a good list, although that second limit for Valefor is really a backup option. You can get it as soon as you get Yuna in the party while you're in Besaid for the first time. Just walk back into town after plot has you leave. No need to wait on it until you're in Macalania Woods and backtracking.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mega64 posted:

So, a couple weeks until pre-reg and the hype train begins again for the Four Job Fiesta. Always a fun time of year.
Oh man, it's already mid-May! Hopefully I don't get more than two berserkers.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think I might aim to beat Omega and Shinryu this time. Hopefully I got an unorthodox party and not a boring one.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

June is when I goddamn finally get a game I've been waiting forever for so I probably won't play as much this year. My 3DS only has so much battery though, so I'll see what I can do! :)

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Playing FFX for the first time and I'm a little overwhelmed by the leveling system. Any pitfalls to watch out for, or should I just go for the skills/abilities I like and level 'em willy-nilly?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Not a Children posted:

Playing FFX for the first time and I'm a little overwhelmed by the leveling system. Any pitfalls to watch out for, or should I just go for the skills/abilities I like and level 'em willy-nilly?

Did you pick the expert sphere?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Not a Children posted:

You can play through the entire game just following every character's natural progression through the grid. That being said try to pay attention to where the locked spheres are and resist the urge to blow the first unlock sphere you find on whatever is closest. Look ahead on the grid a little bit and save your unlocks for a path that looks fun (for example, taking Tidus down Rikku's path). Khimari ends up being a very flexible character because of his placement on the grid, with easy access to almost every character's path.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The sphere grid is a lot more linear than it looks, you couldn't really screw it up if you tried (unless you're playing with the expert grid)

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Thank loving God you can access the Japanese voices in the Steam release of FFX. I couldn't make it past the opening monologue without hitting Alt+F4. Holy poo poo that english voice acting is atrocious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FanaticalMilk posted:

Thank loving God you can access the Japanese voices in the Steam release of FFX. I couldn't make it past the opening monologue without hitting Alt+F4. Holy poo poo that english voice acting is atrocious.

The Japanese voice acting is largely worse. Tidus and Yuna both have much worse actors in Japanese than they do in the US.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The FFX acting is fine. The writing isn't great, but it never really is in FF anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FFX gets a pass because it was really the first time a game of that scale and scope had a fully voiced cast. Completely voiced games are ubiquitous now but it's easy to forget that at the time FFX was made they really weren't, and the game's success contributed to the inevitability and expectation that every mainstream AAA release thereafter would be voiced 100%.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

The Japanese voice acting is largely worse. Tidus and Yuna both have much worse actors in Japanese than they do in the US.

Don't be silly, bad voice acting doesn't exist in Japan. It's a magical land where everybody has the voice of an angel.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The main plus to Japanese VA regardless of acting quality is that not understanding them means you get the closest experience to no VA at all and can just read the dialog with no audio distraction, just like old games.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FanaticalMilk posted:

You're loving dumb.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the voice acting is fine except for Tidus, who sucks

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

the voice acting is fine except for Tidus, who sucks

Wakka's bad, Yuna's bad, Rikku's bad, Seymour's bad, most of the side cast is bad.

The voices themselves notwithstanding, the lip-flaps matching makes everything sound really stilted. That's why Auron's the standout, since his mouth is covered most of the time.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i regret posting

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
The worst voice actor is easily Yuna, who has no emotions whatsoever in any of her lines.

Other than her, I thought they were all acceptable, if taking a noticeable dip when lip flaps were complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The JP voices sound fine, they're definitely not the best since they were early roles for alot of the cast but I found it much preferable to the constant awkward pauses English Yuna and the like do.