Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the dlc areas of dark souls 2 are still some of the best in the series. they did a really good job there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Paul Zuvella posted:

Dark Souls 2 is an ok game. It has super high highs but the lows are the lowest in the series.

Nothing in DS2 is as bad as Lost Izalith.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Mental Midget posted:

This is from like 6 days ago but I'm quoting it because I think it's cool and thank you for linking it!

wait this is real

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Zelder posted:

I'm beginning to think I'm a crazy outlier cuz I love this game and ds2, bless it's soul, absolutely cannot hold my interest at all

When enthusiasts gather in one place, the positive aspects of a game are generally all agreed on to be positive, leaving only the negative aspects up for discussion. When you only discuss negativity, it begins to color your outlook, thus otherwise enthusiastic fans come to hate a game they otherwise love for faults they didn't know existed until someone told them they did.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

wait this is real

It is. I was at a comic book shop like, a week after release of DS3 and someone I knew there ran up to me going "PRAISE THE LIGHT, LOOKIT SOLAIRE IN THIS!" Please calm down. :ohdear:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

wait this is real

Yeah what, it's just some lovely generic fantasy comic with random Souls characters and names thrown in haphazardly

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

yeah, its all WORSE

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What's the key difference between the Uchigatana and Black Blade? I know Black Blade is the shortest Katana, but the move set and stats seem pretty close to the Uchigatana.

Made it down to Smouldering Lake and I'm flush with large and small titanite shards. Is bleed application normalized between weapons or will Bandits Knife apply bleed way faster than the Barbed Straight Sword?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

EpicNameBro's reaction to the final boss is very :allears:

He managed to not go to Untended Graves beforehand, though his Twitter indicates he's been there by now. Kind of weird that he rushed through to the obvious final boss, after having poked into Consumed King's Garden and deciding not to explore in that direction, while also vocally hoping that there's more to the game. At least he'll go there eventually.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

GulagDolls posted:

yeah, its all WORSE

simulate a slow, dramatic zoom by driving your face into the monitor thanks

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Deckit posted:

someone I knew there ran up to me going "PRAISE THE LIGHT"

that's just insulting

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I dunno. I've found aspects of DS3 to be worse than Scholar of the First Sin. I like the speed of DS3 more and a lot of the elements in it (like the level design or things as minor as ricard's rapier being returned to its DS1 design) but I have a lot of issues with it. Poise seems to be broken, I've had worse issues with phantom weapon swings than previous entries, the auto-summon covenants seem difficult to actually make work, and some of the weapon arts are very hit or miss (with the former being easy to spam). Perhaps, though, some of my less technical issues with the game come from the fact that I'm playing this after Bloodborne which I think is a tighter, more dynamic experience, despite being easier once you get the game down.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Harrow posted:

EpicNameBro's reaction to the final boss is very :allears:

My reaction to the final boss was "oh look another dummy sitting on the fire" then "well that was easy" (sorcerer :haw:) then "I didn't get a trophy, what was that guy's name anyway?" (Japanese version)
Just in case anyone was curious. :colbert:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

I think Lost Bastille and Tseldora are both at least on par with Izalith visually, despite both of them playing leagues better as levels.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
For those who were wondering about how to fight Londor Pale Shade, murdering Yoel is all you need to do. I killed him early in my game, Yuria never appeared, and I was able to fight the shade in both Farron's and Irithyl.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Deckit posted:

It is. I was at a comic book shop like, a week after release of DS3 and someone I knew there ran up to me going "PRAISE THE LIGHT, LOOKIT SOLAIRE IN THIS!" Please calm down. :ohdear:

I hope you said 'pssh, it's praise the sun, idiot. ' and then unfriended him.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I realize I'm weeks behind on this but god drat the Carthus Curved Sword is beastly, even Sharp with 18 Str and 40 Dex as opposed to a quality build

Like the other +10 Sharp weapons I have are an Estoc and Lothric Sword and it's 40-50 more attack than either

Baku fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 17, 2016

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 18, 2019

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

that's just insulting

lite_sleepr posted:

I hope you said 'pssh, it's praise the sun, idiot. ' and then unfriended him.

I calmly corrected him then broke open a pack of markers and wrote "try finger but hole ahead" behind the register.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ponzicar posted:

For those who were wondering about how to fight Londor Pale Shade, murdering Yoel is all you need to do. I killed him early in my game, Yuria never appeared, and I was able to fight the shade in both Farron's and Irithyl.

I only killed the "hope you checked the internet!" guy in the church, but that at least gets you the Irithyl invasion.

On that note, does the stone parma have bonus deflection values? Or is that NPC just that bad at using their mankin claws. "All the other NPCs put up a fight!" *Bounce* "...Okay." *Bounce* "I'll take a freebie when handed to me."

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I'm sl 65 at dragonslayer armour - am I severely underlevelled for this? Not in terms of difficulty, but I haven't seen a sign or been summoned since pontiff and I just want to engage in jolly cooperation.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

hard counter posted:

simulate a slow, dramatic zoom by driving your face into the monitor thanks

Star Citizen already implemented landing on magma planets?

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

McFunkerson posted:

Oh, I would have done the area anyway. I guess I didn't realize it was optional because I didn't realize you had to put the skulls on the thrones to trigger the end. I actually just played through as much of the game as I could only looking at a guide as a pointer to the next area if I got stuck and didn't know where to go. To be honest I'm not even sure I know which bosses heads I put up there. The story in these games always confuse me and I think I've learned to tune the story out and just slash mans. The gameplay, difficult, and atmosphere I enjoy. I watch a 10 min video on the lore at the end and I'm all good.

I mean the story is definitely confusing at times but the opening cinematic shows you a big picture of the Lords and tells you their names. I'm with you on the placing them on the thrones part though, I had to look that up. It's implied in the item description: "If the lords will not return to their thrones themselves, let them return as cinders." but again it's one of those things that you can run by 1000 times and never know that is what you're supposed to do.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://zippy.gfycat.com/SmugLittleDevilfish.webm
courtesy 4chan

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Cultisto posted:

I'm with you on the placing them on the thrones part though, I had to look that up. It's implied in the item description: "If the lords will not return to their thrones themselves, let them return as cinders." but again it's one of those things that you can run by 1000 times and never know that is what you're supposed to do.
Weird, the moment I saw the thrones I assumed they'd change as I killed the Lords, then when I killed the first one and they didn't I naturally checked to see if there was a use prompt on them.

I guess it would have been less obvious if I hadn't played DS1 with its lord souls though.

The fact that one of the lords is already sitting in his from the very beginning is another big hint, now that I think about it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

How do I do this

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the weird thing about dark souls 3 is that newcomers who didn't play the other installments wouldn't have any context for the flames and whatever. ds1 explicitly outlines that everything revolves around a magical flame but ds3 just kind of assumes you have the context of dying fires and undead curses

another nitpick: patches at one point mentions that the PC and he are "just a pair of jolly outcasts" (to mirror his line in ds1) except uh, no you're not? you're an ashen warrior which seems to have some sort of honor and duty attached to it, and people know who you are and address you by the title "unkindled"? so it seems "outcast" doesn't really apply and was just thrown in for nostalgia points

also, I wish you could obtain the zweihander earlier

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Internet Kraken posted:

How do I do this

Cheat engine I believe

Btw there's a first person mod in ce that lets you play King's Field Souls 3 if you want

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Daddy daddy look I'm an airplane!

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Can anyone hook me up with a Spiked Mace? I've got an end-game character I can reciprocate with.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4jqpnb/you_did_it_guys_from_suddenly_posted_the/

Matchmaking stuff

A Level 100 dark spirit invader can find a host in the range of level 90-130
-10% to +10%(+20)
A Level 100 mound maker invader can find a host in the range of level 90-135
-10% to +15%(+20)
A Level 100 Aldrich's Faithful invader can find a host in the range of level 60-110
-20%(-20) to +20%
A Level 100 Blue Sentinel Summon can find a host in the range of level 80-120
-10%(+10) to +20%
A Level 100 Darkmoon Blade Summon can find a host in the range of level 80-120
-10%(+10) to +20%

Kild fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 17, 2016

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Zelder posted:

I'm beginning to think I'm a crazy outlier cuz I love this game and ds2, bless it's soul, absolutely cannot hold my interest at all

I did Bloodborne --> DS3 --> trying DS2 and basically lost all my momentum and vibe. Almost considering another DS3 playthrough instead.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

Don't sorcerer or faith.

Ive done both of these things and they do work. It's just that being a sorcerer is hard as gently caress for most of the game until you can start one shotting bosses in the face. Faith builds are amazing. My main is a strength/faith based character and 15 faith is almost mandatory for PvP if you want to get tears of denial.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I guess I shouldn't have played DS1 before this, because parrying feels difficult again. I guess the frames are similar to DS2?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

SciFiDownBeat posted:

another nitpick: patches at one point mentions that the PC and he are "just a pair of jolly outcasts" (to mirror his line in ds1) except uh, no you're not? you're an ashen warrior which seems to have some sort of honor and duty attached to it, and people know who you are and address you by the title "unkindled"? so it seems "outcast" doesn't really apply and was just thrown in for nostalgia points

Unkindled are the lovely dregs called upon to try and bring the rampant Lords of Cinder to task. From the intro, "Nameless accursed undead, Unfit even to be cinder. And so it is, That ash seeketh embers." I got the feeling it was a "we have no other options really" type of deal.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

SL 74 was probably a bit high for Aldrich but it was pretty rad dinging him for 700+ damage with chaos bed vestiges

Eight casts and the poor lil guy never popped off his arrows or soul arrow attack

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Final boss spoilers:
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/264962703188015486/D4591E7C7C868525B8BBA3823042FB678EDE6F77/

gently caress it. Two tears in the bucket.
I think I'm done with this game for at least a few hours.

...still more fun than Nameless King, though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I backstabbed a guy near a ledge in Lothric. His body actually tumbled over the ledge, which was hilarious, except...

It didn't kill him. Instead it turned him loving invisible :psyduck:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Kild posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4jqpnb/you_did_it_guys_from_suddenly_posted_the/

Matchmaking stuff

A Level 100 dark spirit invader can find a host in the range of level 90-130
-10% to +10%(+20)
A Level 100 mound maker invader can find a host in the range of level 90-135
-10% to +15%(+20)
A Level 100 Aldrich's Faithful invader can find a host in the range of level 60-110
-20%(-20) to +20%
A Level 100 Blue Sentinel Summon can find a host in the range of level 80-120
-10%(+10) to +20%
A Level 100 Darkmoon Blade Summon can find a host in the range of level 80-120
-10%(+10) to +20%

from being specific? did japan have another reactor meltdown or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

MarshyMcFly posted:

Ive done both of these things and they do work. It's just that being a sorcerer is hard as gently caress for most of the game until you can start one shotting bosses in the face. Faith builds are amazing. My main is a strength/faith based character and 15 faith is almost mandatory for PvP if you want to get tears of denial.

For a first playthrough though, not pvp

I am aware sorcerer eventually gits gud