Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortoiseburger
Mar 27, 2007

The Finest of the Tortoise
Great, they got the cabbie fired. Another victory for the people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

A friend who moved to NYC was visiting Austin with his boyfriend (who's lived in NYC his whole life) and the boyfriend could not believe we didn't have a city and state income tax.

But did you inform him of all of the social services we don't have to pay for?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tortoiseburger posted:

Great, they got the cabbie fired. Another victory for the people.

1 down, approximately 667 to go.

— "the people"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/gregabbott_tx/status/732586745481547776

Powerful stuff.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

between bathroom bills and uber, jesus christ local politics is getting gross

like how is this the hill to die on

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i really, really thought Abbott would be more like Joe Straus and less like Dan Patrick whoops

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Pay no attention to the pending corruption charges of state elected officials, worry about where people make peepee and poopoo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all know about this lady yet?
https://twitter.com/newcivilrights/status/732606802261647366

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

That's just East Texas being East Texas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PhilPrazan/status/732619278130814981

Hmmmmm

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The exact language adopted at the convention:

quote:

We call upon the Texas Legislature to improve the 2015 Compassionate Use Act to allow doctors to determine the appropriate use of cannabis to prescribed patients.

The gently caress? That's...great? Where am I?

Abbott's still against it, though: http://tpr.org/post/gop-leaders-not-ready-say-yes-medical-marijuana-texas#stream/0

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My glaucoma has been acting up lately...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah my brain instantly flooded itself with memories of my old Dr. Feelgood off 35th street

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I'm just assuming that there's a couple members in congress who have some mostly-fallow land that they found out could be used to grow weed, and have plans to be the exclusive cultivators in texas.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bushiz posted:

I'm just assuming that there's a couple members in congress who have some mostly-fallow land that they found out could be used to grow weed, and have plans to be the exclusive cultivators in texas.

Rick Perry used his appointment authority as a personal ATM; fucker went into politics as a teacher and came out the rear end end a millionaire. I can only imagine how the licensing process would be corrupted and abused. Tax money for public education you say, gently caress that, time for tax relief, maybe even some rebates.

edit: maybe m wrong. I could have sworn Perry was in education before politics. am I wrong. he drat sure wasn't rich.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 17, 2016

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I always enjoyed that Perry didn't really try to hide his corruption. He'd just do it, and if he got called on it, like the HPV shots, he'd just stop and start looking for new score.

At least he didn't try to lie about loving the people in the rear end

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
:golfclap:

https://twitter.com/patricksvitek/status/732641684891176960

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Moron Labe

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

someone please photoshop it to say come and take a poo poo

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
Does Abbot also own the security firm that's going to do inspections at bathroom entrances

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

The man and woman have blank spots where their genitals should be, indicating that physical appearance does not determine a person's gender. A Good Graphic.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

This is the loving hill my state has decided to die on. Jesus loving christ of latter day saints and all his loving disciples.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

citybeatnik posted:

This is the loving hill my state has decided to die on. Jesus loving christ of latter day saints and all his loving disciples.

I really really don't think this issue has legs. I think the social conservatives are going to be well chastised following a presidential election in which none of their pet issues were pandered to and are going to be meek as gently caress by the time January rolls around.

Not to mention we'll have a better sense about how courts and the public are going to react to legislation like this, and so far it ain't in the favor of Dan Patrick etal.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

citybeatnik posted:

Sorry to bear the bad news, but Texas is already a huge joke outside of Texas. This isn't the hill Texas died on.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

zoux posted:

I really really don't think this issue has legs. I think the social conservatives are going to be well chastised following a presidential election in which none of their pet issues were pandered to and are going to be meek as gently caress by the time January rolls around.

Not to mention we'll have a better sense about how courts and the public are going to react to legislation like this, and so far it ain't in the favor of Dan Patrick etal.

It's red meat for the down-ballot elections and to get the base out to vote when they'd rather not due to Trump.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

citybeatnik posted:

It's red meat for the down-ballot elections and to get the base out to vote when they'd rather not due to Trump.

I'm wondering if it also may be a way to try and fight back the negative down-ballot effects that Trump could have with the Hispanic vote in Texas. If the Texas Dems could get Hispanic guys under 35 to vote at the same level as, say, white men over 35, everybody elected to a statewide office would be out of a job. Trump is going to bring a lot of them out this cycle, but maybe a bit of weird gender stuff and "keeping families safe" might just keep them from going strong on the other Dems...

e_angst fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 17, 2016

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Sorry to bear the bad news, but Texas is already a huge joke outside of Texas. This isn't the hill Texas died on.

Every state is a joke outside it's own borders.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I don't think I've ever heard someone make fun of New Mexico. Might be the only state, though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

radical meme posted:

Rick Perry used his appointment authority as a personal ATM; fucker went into politics as a teacher and came out the rear end end a millionaire. I can only imagine how the licensing process would be corrupted and abused. Tax money for public education you say, gently caress that, time for tax relief, maybe even some rebates.

edit: maybe m wrong. I could have sworn Perry was in education before politics. am I wrong. he drat sure wasn't rich.

Cotton farmer who realized the real money was in politics (and or lobbying).

Gotta say, he had one main goal and he accomplished it.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

e_angst posted:

I'm wondering if it also may be a way to try and fight back the negative down-ballot effects that Trump could have with the Hispanic vote in Texas. If the Texas Dems could get Hispanic guys under 35 to vote at the same level as, say, white men over 35, everybody elected to a statewide office would be out of a job. Trump is going to bring a lot of them out this cycle, but maybe a bit of weird gender stuff and "keeping families safe" might just keep them from going strong on the other Dems...

I'll put money on that being the strategy.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Aliquid posted:

I don't think I've ever heard someone make fun of New Mexico. Might be the only state, though.

New Mexico as a whole, no, but there's a fair number of people (both in and out of New Mexico) who make fun of the people who live in Santa Fe.

I still make the point to friends that Breaking Bad is a documentary, though.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

e_angst posted:

Uhm... Well... Things weren't all sunshine and roses back then. I happened to find this clip recently, which really sums up Texas politics better than anything else. It's from the Documentary Dildo Diaries (so it's kinda NWS), but it is basically TexasPolitics.mov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaUl6x1YXpg&t=180s

"Even if they slip?"

This is amazing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Why is the women's stall wider than the men's stall? Where is my gender equality???????

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Back Hack posted:

Every state is a joke outside it's own borders.
I dunno I don't really see the same kind of eye-rolling jerk-off-gesturing kind of disdain for other states, except maybe California or NY to a much lesser degree. Texas sort of has a chip on its shoulder, and people like to knock that chip off.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

I dunno I don't really see the same kind of eye-rolling jerk-off-gesturing kind of disdain for other states, except maybe California or NY to a much lesser degree. Texas sort of has a chip on its shoulder, and people like to knock that chip off.

We have spare chips. What do you think we store in our ten gallon hats?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Texans may be a laughing stock with their attention-craving ways, but Californians with their arrogance are definitely much more hated.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

So glad this is the hill they chose to die on.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KoltenParker/status/732961651163582464

This is way worth than the trans bathroom stuff imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fellow white people: We did it!