Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Toxxupation posted:

Is Agents of SHIELD actually good or is it what I suspect, it fumbling to and flailing at better-known Marvel storylines and concepts? Like, would watching it be a series of cool deep cuts to MU stuff that would never show up in the MCU proper or is it a bunch of also-rans pretending to be important? I ask because the Agents of SHIELD comic feels really fake and weird and kind of almost like fanfiction despite being 616 canon and I'm wondering if the tv show has that same sort of weird unreality to it as well.
It's good but starts bad, sort of like The 100, but with like twice as many episodes so that transition from bad to good takes twice as long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Is Agents of SHIELD actually good or is it what I suspect, it fumbling to and flailing at better-known Marvel storylines and concepts? Like, would watching it be a series of cool deep cuts to MU stuff that would never show up in the MCU proper or is it a bunch of also-rans pretending to be important? I ask because the Agents of SHIELD comic feels really fake and weird and kind of almost like fanfiction despite being 616 canon and I'm wondering if the tv show has that same sort of weird unreality to it as well.

It doesn't adapt comic book storylines.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Toxxupation posted:

If people say it's good, I'll give it a shot approaching with an open mind, but the early extreme negativity (and how everyone insisted it "got good after Winter Soldier") combined with what I've anecdotally seen doesn't exactly inspire confidence. On the other hand, though, I really love stuff like the Kree (and the Inhumans) so I'd be interested in a TV show that deals with that as a concept.

Basically my question is is it good or good because it's the only MCU TV show that deals with larger-scale threats and ideas?

There are always people who will say a show is good or even great. So if that is what you are looking for, you might as well just watch it.

As someone who watches or has watched most superhero/comic related things, AoS in my opinion is mediocre at its very best. DC shows tend to try to go big though they usually fall on their face. AoS is trying to go big lately, but it's mostly just been kind of boring. It isn't usually as pants on head dumb as the CW shows have been, thankfully, but its biggest offense is just being boring. Compared to the Netflix shows, its super bland and compared to the CW shows, it doesn't even like being all that comic booky and is also bland. If you are coming in as an MCU fan, then the best way to put AoS is that at this point, it is a non-canon show that exists in its own expanded universe, away from the movies and the Netflix shows.

If you don't care about comic book stuff, then you might as well check it out, but I suspect there are better sci-fi action shows on TV right now.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I enjoy AoS, but it has its shortcomings of course. Everything seems to take place within the tiny AoS world bubble, with no real repercussions towards anyone outside of the same characters over and over again. It all seems pretty small-scale overall, but I'm sure being limited to tv budget will do that. (Side note: whoever is in charge of the 3D jet animations/compositing has always done a stellar job; they're always beautiful.) Once Ward uh, did his thing awhile ago (you'll know when it happens), the show got much more engaging but even I still do not care about the Inhumans' goals/anything. It's never going to happen no matter how much Skye pleads. (and I like Skye a lot, shut up Rhyno) The show nails its guest appearances (Bill Paxton, Kyle McL, John Hannah, Powers Boothe) and Mockingbird was a great addition, please come back Mockingbird.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Season 1 was mostly bad but finished well.

Season 2 was mostly good.

Season 3 has kind of been dragging because it's mostly been more or less a single long-running plot and it's mostly kind of boring.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

irlZaphod posted:

Season 1 was mostly bad but finished well.

Season 2 was mostly good.

Season 3 has kind of been dragging because it's mostly been more or less a single long-running plot and it's mostly kind of boring.

Pretty much exactly agree. The season 2 finale was legitimately one of the best episodes of a comics TV series.

AoS has a really similar flow to the X-files (including long stretches of mediocre episodes in a row). If you like the MCU and could tolerate the X-files at it's worst, I would guess that you will like AoS.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
The best episode to start AoS with is the one that begins with Don't Fear the Reaper. That was badass.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

If you watched the last 6 or so episodes of S1 and didn't like it, you aren't going to like season 2 or 3.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Most of the posters in the thread will insist it's better written than the CW shows so they can feel like they're watching something superior, but they're wrong.

So do you like the Flash and Arrow? Because it's the same.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, I have a long weekend coming up, and no dignity. Should I durnk binge watch ARrow s4, Flash s2, gotham s2, agent carter s2, or shield s2-3?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Most of the posters in the thread will insist it's better written than the CW shows so they can feel like they're watching something superior, but they're wrong.

So do you like the Flash and Arrow? Because it's the same.

The only major difference between the two is their "scope". AoS is a globe trotting piece about world threats, while Flash and Arrow are grounded to singular locales to a greater degree.

I do think AoS handles some of the interpersonal drama better, but make no mistake, it's all melodrama.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I have a long weekend coming up, and no dignity. Should I durnk binge watch ARrow s4, Flash s2, gotham s2, agent carter s2, or shield s2-3?
Agent Carter is the best of the lot of them

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He said season 2, so not really. SHIELD S2 is better than Carter S2.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Did you watch Carter S1? Then Carter S2.

Otherwise, Shield S2-3, fast-forwarding over anything that's boring you.

Even with no dignity, that's already too much to binge-watch Gotham.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 17, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I did watch s1. So, Carter s2, then Shield s2-3. Is there any specific drinking I should for this?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

I did watch s1. So, Carter s2, then Shield s2-3. Is there any specific drinking I should for this?

All the drinking.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Comic Book Resources posted:

When "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." returns to ABC this fall, the show will air in a new timeslot: Tuesday nights at 10 pm EST. This pushes the show back an hour from its original 9 pm slot, which will now be filled by "Fresh Off the Boat" and "The Real O'Neals."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/abc-bumps-agents-of-shield-to-new-timeslot

Welp. This is most certainly a death sentence for a show that was already hemorrhaging viewers :(

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think Shield does a much better job of going against expectation than Flash or Arrow -- they seem to make a very deliberate effort to lead you into assuming it'll go general TV show resolution X then they do Y instead and that's nice to see. It's melodrama sure, but I honestly think most of the interpersonal stuff is handled more maturely than CW shows. Much less focus on high-school level love triangles and such (not to say there's 0 incidence of love triangles, they just tend to get resolved more rapidly than is normal.) There's also a lot less of people being total idiots for the sake of drama, but that DOES mean there's less drama in general and is hence can be kind of boring sometimes? I dunno, but it's the only currently running superhero show I actually look forward to watching week-to-week.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Welp. This is most certainly a death sentence for a show that was already hemorrhaging viewers :(

I thought 10pm timeslots were on the tail end of prime time TV in the USA? Granted, that's moving from the top of prime time to the end of it, but it's hardly a Friday night kiss of death.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

DrProsek posted:

I thought 10pm timeslots were on the tail end of prime time TV in the USA? Granted, that's moving from the top of prime time to the end of it, but it's hardly a Friday night kiss of death.

That's true, but for a show that was already struggling to keep its viewers, moving it to a later time slot does no favors.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Goodbye Flash/AoS back-to-back, my favorite night of television :(

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Jonny_Rocket posted:

That's true, but for a show that was already struggling to keep its viewers, moving it to a later time slot does no favors.

Ah, true, forgot that prime time isn't one giant blob of "good time", later in prime time is still bad even if it's just a small drop in viewers.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I guess the thing to do would be to look at the ratings numbers for action shows in the 10pm slot and compare them to current AoS numbers. If 10pm numbers across the board tend to be lower than current AoS numbers, then that is a very bad thing since that would mean they are knowingly putting a show in a slot where it will do worse.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

10pm on Tuesday is currently a disaster zone for ABC -- Battlebots did a .6 last week, and Beyond the Tank was at .5 two weeks ago.

ABC's thinking is that Shield has a reliable audience that will give them around a 1 in the key demo week after week, and tack another another .5 or so in DVR viewing. Compared to where they currently are, that's an improvement!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

howe_sam posted:

10pm on Tuesday is currently a disaster zone for ABC -- Battlebots did a .6 last week, and Beyond the Tank was at .5 two weeks ago.

ABC's thinking is that Shield has a reliable audience that will give them around a 1 in the key demo week after week, and tack another another .5 or so in DVR viewing. Compared to where they currently are, that's an improvement!

Let's be real though, neither Battlebots nor Beyond the Tank had a chance at that timeslot. Maybe any time slot.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

10pm on Tuesday is currently a disaster zone for ABC

Jesus I didn't even know Battlebots was back until this post. I guess that's how bad of a disaster it is.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
AoS is currently the 2nd highest rated non-Shondaland show on ABC. Not sure if that is a reflection of ABC being in dire straits or a move like howe_sam says to strengthen their weakest block.

Related: How are season 12 or whatever of Gray's Anatomy and Quantico pulling in so many people? They are doing crazy numbers for what they are (a show in double digit seasons where the majority of the main cast has left and a brand new show starring a complete unknown).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Jesus I didn't even know Battlebots was back until this post. I guess that's how bad of a disaster it is.

It's not, it was a preview episode. It returns later in the summer.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Related: How are season 12 or whatever of Gray's Anatomy and Quantico pulling in so many people? They are doing crazy numbers for what they are (a show in double digit seasons where the majority of the main cast has left and a brand new show starring a complete unknown).

The complete unknown is loving hot as hell, I think it is as simple as that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'd been watching for Jake Puckerman from Glee. He doesn't do a lot, sadly. :(

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
ABC canceled Galavant (easily one of my favorite shows ever), canceled Agent Carter, canceled THE MUPPETS, and isn't doing Marvel's Most Wanted. It's safe to say that ABC has no idea what they're doing and clearly hates everything good and pure in this world.

(My tongue is only partially in my cheek.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If more than you liked any of those shows they'd still be on.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

If more than you liked any of those shows they'd still be on.

I get other people not liking Galavant, but the Muppets? Have you people no souls!?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

wyntyr posted:

I get other people not liking Galavant, but the Muppets? Have you people no souls!?

It probably could have survived on ABC Family, or whatever it is called now. Primetime Muppets in modern times was a fantasy. Similarly, a prime time musical comedy was probably always a long shot for broadcast television.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Muppets was a creative nightmare that basically nobody at ABC was satisfied with and didn't resonate with audiences at all. They fired the showrunner and hired a new one midway through the season who basically outright said the previous half-season was a mistake that misunderstood what the muppets was in favor of a weird depressed dramedy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

AoS is currently the 2nd highest rated non-Shondaland show on ABC. Not sure if that is a reflection of ABC being in dire straits or a move like howe_sam says to strengthen their weakest block.

As previously stated, Quantico stars the most beautiful woman on the planet so that doesn't hurt.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chloe's callin' em out.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Muppets started off a bit rocky but got really good. I thought it was a lot of fun.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That is the single most whiny and self-entitled speech I've ever seen. And it ignores the inherent appeal of different stories in a shared universe, namely that they're different stories. Like even in the real actual 616, where there's no limitations on having to hire human beings to play characters and basically everyone can show up in everyone else's book whenever, you're not constantly seeing Squirrel Girl call on the New Avengers, the team she's currently a part of, just to hang out because it would just crowd out her own story. Like that's the whole bit of different names and lines- sure it's all part of the same universe and during crossovers and events they'll all come together but beyond that they stay part of their own spheres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

That is the single most whiny and self-entitled speech I've ever seen. And it ignores the inherent appeal of different stories in a shared universe, namely that they're different stories. Like even in the real actual 616, where there's no limitations on having to hire human beings to play characters and basically everyone can show up in everyone else's book whenever, you're not constantly seeing Squirrel Girl call on the New Avengers, the team she's currently a part of, just to hang out because it would just crowd out her own story. Like that's the whole bit of different names and lines- sure it's all part of the same universe and during crossovers and events they'll all come together but beyond that they stay part of their own spheres.

Clark Gregg previously called people who had quit watching the show losers about a year ago. Sure made me want to tune back in! But yeah, Chloe Bennet is the weakest link in the cast, this doesn't help me like her any better.

quote:

The Marvel Cinematic Universe loves to pretend that everything is connected, but then they don’t acknowledge our show at all. So, I would love to do that, but they don’t seem to keen on that idea.

That's because your how is terrible and everyone at Marvel's film division wants to pretend it doesn't exist.