Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The design stuff was pretty excellent; "I don't loving care, but...", and that Dang's jazzed-up black box was a black box with a green box on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PCjr sidecar posted:

The design stuff was pretty excellent; "I don't loving care, but...", and that Dang's jazzed-up black box was a black box with a green box on it.

I could somehow see the Data Center People huddling around like a graven idol because it has some semblance of color on it.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

I like that Richard finally addressed the obvious in this episode, when he told Jack, "you can't fire us because you don't know how to use our IP". On another forum, I asked why he didn't flat out tell Jack that, like 2 episodes ago, so I find it very cathartic that he finally did :)

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I kinda hate it that Jack flipped out at the end, felt really out of character. Not going to miss him though, his "compassionate manipulator" shtick had already run it's course. I guess he was just there to make the transition to whichever CEO they have planned to introduce later more natural.

fake edit: I never thought that the knee-pads were anything more than just a safety measure for the actor, but I was definitely one of the people who expected an Ocean's Eleven plot twist. Guilty as charged, still think it was a great theory.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Rexides posted:

Guilty as charged

drat, I was going to acquit.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Avasculous posted:

Oh no, I think you're right and that part was totally fine for her.

I meant more that Laurie's supposed to be a cold, clinical, consummate investor- who here admits to overlooking that the contract surrenders the IP for 5 years (which seems like kind of a big deal) and is then willing to vote for it ten seconds later anyways because the used car salesman in front of her said that she has to "right now."

I can see that, I still don't think it was out of character, really though. Jack's IPO'd a few billion dollar companies so I wouldn't call him a 'used car salesman' and he stated in this episode that offering the algorithm allowed him to get a deal 3x more lucrative than the initial deal they had. Compared to the algorithm itself having 0 value, it's an extremely easy decision for Laurie to make and the deal was probably great on paper until Gavin pulled another classic Gavin.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Some of you have way too high an estimation of VC partners. The only parts of contracts they care about are the ones that protect their equity

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That just seemed like a weird deal. They make the box for this other company who then controls the algorithm and gets to resell the box? That makes no sense other than from a "makes any amount of money now" perspective.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Rexides posted:

I kinda hate it that Jack flipped out at the end, felt really out of character.

Maybe you've lucked out and never encountered that type, but personally I've known a few people who projected a calm, successful, and confident business sense that shattered into horrific child-like temper tantrums when they couldn't reconcile their constructed persona to something that was happening in reality (ie: they didn't get their way and/or weren't showered with praise/adulation for a few moments).

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Rexides posted:

I kinda hate it that Jack flipped out at the end, felt really out of character.

I disagree, I think that the scene with him flipping out on Erlich in the previous episode shows that the calm, compassionate demeanor is pretty much reserved for manipulation. Since he had nothing to gain with Erlich, he didn't bother schmoozing him like he did when he was trying to get on Richard's good side.

So when his gambit to put Richard in his place didn't work out because of Monica, he's sort of pushed into that same position. He has nothing left to gain until they can "reconvene" with a different board member.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've lost track of how the board of pied piper works at this point. I know Monica is in one of the Raviga seats, but she's on the board by name. How can Laurie just replace her directly on the board? Richard, Erlich, and Monica make three votes to not replace Monica as a board member. Laurie could still exit Monica from Raviga but she's still legally have the seat right?

All irrelevant now but anyone understand this better than me?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

M_Gargantua posted:

I've lost track of how the board of pied piper works at this point. I know Monica is in one of the Raviga seats, but she's on the board by name. How can Laurie just replace her directly on the board? Richard, Erlich, and Monica make three votes to not replace Monica as a board member. Laurie could still exit Monica from Raviga but she's still legally have the seat right?

All irrelevant now but anyone understand this better than me?

All 3 of Raviga's seats are given to the company and up to the managing partner to assign. Since Monica's been involved with them since day 1 and Richard specifically requested it, she's had a spot, but Laurie ultimately has final say as far as who actually speaks for Raviga.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It's Raviga's seat, not Monica's, she's just their representing Raviga. It's up to Laurie to decide who gets to represent Raviga. Plus I don't think board members really get to vote on who can and can't be on the board.

Edit: Beaten

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I don't think she is on the board by name- I think she was just a representative for Raviga's seat under Peter Gregory, and then Laurie let her stay on because richard requested her when he accepted the funding.

Laurie bought 2 additional seats for Raviga from Russ which she took over.

Presumably, Laurie can replace her at will from Raviga's end, just not mid meeting.

Edit: beaten like a red haired stepchild

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Gavin pretty much saved Monica's rear end in addition to the Pied Piper crew at the right moment.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I love how Erlich is just completely disregarded and isn't even given paperwork to look over.

I know Monica said Laurie was probably just going to replace her on the board anyways, but it seems her position has been saved - or does she still need to worry about that? I mean, that $250M pricepoint for Endframe proves she made a good choice, right?

edit: didn't read echo chamber's post oh well

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

That just seemed like a weird deal. They make the box for this other company who then controls the algorithm and gets to resell the box? That makes no sense other than from a "makes any amount of money now" perspective.

This is almost exactly what my company did back during the dot com boom, we licensed our software and made a box for one large car manufacturer. It's scary how real most of this poo poo is, Mike Judge knows his poo poo.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Oh yeah. White Label reselling of just about anything useful is a pretty hot commodity. Most of the stuff regarding companies themselves and how the power plays go down is pretty drat accurate, even if the individual tech stuff is technobabble.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ElCondemn posted:

This is almost exactly what my company did back during the dot com boom, we licensed our software and made a box for one large car manufacturer. It's scary how real most of this poo poo is, Mike Judge knows his poo poo.

What's the point? is it just to make a really quick buck while someone else handles marketing and whatever?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is a distinct divide between companies selling a product and companies selling a brand. If you are selling a brand then you have to find someone else to manufacture you something to stick your logo on.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

What's the point? is it just to make a really quick buck while someone else handles marketing and whatever?

I'm sure there's other possible reasons, but remember that Jack earlier predicts that tech is in a bubble and Richard's 4 years to market plan is unworkable. Passing the buck and cashing out makes perfect sense in that context.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Avasculous posted:

I'm sure there's other possible reasons, but remember that Jack earlier predicts that tech is in a bubble and Richard's 4 years to market plan is unworkable. Passing the buck and cashing out makes perfect sense in that context.

Based on the way our contracts limit our ability to engineer certain things that seem like common sense, I've had a suspicion for a long time that we're just collecting contracts so that we look more enticing to potential buyers. Basically, they've been trying to sell this company for a long time, making poo poo rear end deals that hinder us technically for the quick buck. But maybe that's just how business works, what do I know, all my business ventures have failed and I've had lovely ideas like "no overage charges".

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I've had to move a few times within Google, they even got the right moving boxes.

Pope Guilty posted:

Jack was ultimately another Russ Hanneman, interested only in a quick payout and not in actually building anything or establishing long-term viability.
IIRC he was only was into a quick payout when he went below 3 commas, before that he wanted them to get big first without concerning themselves with revenue, and then have a huge exit.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I know Monica said Laurie was probably just going to replace her on the board anyways, but it seems her position has been saved - or does she still need to worry about that? I mean, that $250M pricepoint for Endframe proves she made a good choice, right?

I could believe it either way. She could get canned for insubordination and Laurie would have a point, or she could get promoted and Laurie would have a point.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Cicero posted:

I've had to move a few times within Google, they even got the right moving boxes.

IIRC he was only was into a quick payout when he went below 3 commas, before that he wanted them to get big first without concerning themselves with revenue, and then have a huge exit.

Can't blame him, either. Who wants to drive a car with doors that open like this, when they can drive a car with doors that open like THIS?

One thing I don't like is how Hooli is supposedly the fictional equivalent to Google, yet Hooli is run by idiots that make horrible mistake after horrible mistake. Does Mike Judge have something against Google or something? Because that's kind of the exact opposite of the way Google does things

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DrunkPanda posted:

Can't blame him, either. Who wants to drive a car with doors that open like this, when they can drive a car with doors that open like THIS?

One thing I don't like is how Hooli is supposedly the fictional equivalent to Google, yet Hooli is run by idiots that make horrible mistake after horrible mistake. Does Mike Judge have something against Google or something? Because that's kind of the exact opposite of the way Google does things

Google's hosed up multiple things before, just like every tech company has.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Its also important to note when using the Google/Hooli comparisons that we are witnessing a period of time in Hooli's company where they aren't ascendant but rather decedent and complacent. It was probably more important to mock the pretense of corporate culture when Mike Judge was pitching the premise. Hooli has now moved past the phase where they innovate and now they just buy out other companies similar to Microsoft.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Dead Snoopy posted:

Its also important to note when using the Google/Hooli comparisons that we are witnessing a period of time in Hooli's company where they aren't ascendant but rather decedent and complacent. It was probably more important to mock the pretense of corporate culture when Mike Judge was pitching the premise. Hooli has now moved past the phase where they innovate and now they just buy out other companies similar to Microsoft.

The Surface line of hybrid laptop/tablets is innovative :colbert:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

DrunkPanda posted:

Google+? Never heard of it.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

squidgee posted:

Google+? Never heard of it.

Look it up on your google glass

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I always viewed Hooli as an unholy Google/Apple combo.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Look it up on your google glass

Is there any footage of it on Google Video? Maybe you can share it with me on Google Wave.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I sent you a link to the Knol page via Google Buzz.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I sent you a link to the Knol page via Google Buzz.
Can you add it as an app in Google Hangouts?

[spoiler]You can never add apps in Google Hangouts

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

A little late to the party, but this season will definitely end with Big Head being CEO.
Although I believe having Gilfoyle as some sort of interim CEO would make for some good comedy, even if it doesn't make much sense. He's been shown as the most realistic and most capable of the bunch.

Out of curiosity, is it possible for more seats to be made on a board? If only to get Russ back.

TwoStepBoog fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 18, 2016

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Loomer posted:

I always viewed Hooli as an unholy Google/Apple combo.

I always thought it was supposed to be some sort of fictional hybrid of many tech giants, including Google, Apple, Oracle, Microsoft, Amazon, etc, since there are aspects that map to a lot of different tech companies.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Also semi-related: http://www.theonion.com/article/ayahuasca-shaman-dreading-another-week-guiding-tec-52941

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

TwoStepBoog posted:

A little late to the party, but this season will definitely end with Big Head being CEO.

I do think that's possible, but I also think Erlich might bankrupt him, since he's basically taking control over Big Head's 20m and Big Head doesn't say no to anything.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Bighead probably can't join pied piper without forfeiting his contract with Hooli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mrmcd posted:

I always thought it was supposed to be some sort of fictional hybrid of many tech giants, including Google, Apple, Oracle, Microsoft, Amazon, etc, since there are aspects that map to a lot of different tech companies.

Also since all of those companies exist in the SV universe it would be dumb to have a complete parody of one.

• Locked thread