Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I really want to fly on a 787 one day, all their destinations from YVR don't seem to be anywhere I fly unfortunately :( Apparently AC flies them to/from Toronto, and then the Asian airlines transpacific flights to China and Japan. The 777 is a good airplane though, I'm a fan. It's nice for tall people :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CLAM DOWN posted:

I really want to fly on a 787 one day, all their destinations from YVR don't seem to be anywhere I fly unfortunately :( Apparently AC flies them to/from Toronto, and then the Asian airlines transpacific flights to China and Japan. The 777 is a good airplane though, I'm a fan. It's nice for tall people :)

I prefer the 777. I think the seats are wider in economy unless you get one of the AC gently caress-you-and-die layouts with 10-abreast seating. Sadly it looks like those are becoming more common because Air Canada literally gets off to the idea of human suffering.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

I prefer the 777. I think the seats are wider in economy unless you get one of the AC gently caress-you-and-die layouts with 10-abreast seating. Sadly it looks like those are becoming more common because Air Canada literally gets off to the idea of human suffering.

I think they're all moving to the 3-4-3 wide in economy, because gently caress you that's why

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Can anyone recommend somewhere I can study for a few hours in The Hague on a Sunday? I am arriving first thing via train, but won't be getting into accomodation etc. until late afternoon.

Also is there anywhere convenient to leave luggage in the town? I'm going to be near the Leiden (Hague) campus, so I don't want to have to walk miles to go pick it up again though...

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Can anyone recommend somewhere I can study for a few hours in The Hague on a Sunday? I am arriving first thing via train, but won't be getting into accomodation etc. until late afternoon.

Also is there anywhere convenient to leave luggage in the town? I'm going to be near the Leiden (Hague) campus, so I don't want to have to walk miles to go pick it up again though...

The public library in the city hall building is freely accessible even on a Sunday. You don't need to be a member or anything, but the toilet lady might ask you for 15 cents if you don't have a member card. It's all really close to the station, where the Leiden university buildings are. You can probably take your suitcase into study room in the library or just leave it at the desk there or something.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just booked my YVR<->AMS flight with KLM for July 3-18, their extra legroom options were reasonable compared to other airlines too. Thanks so much thread! I'm mega excited now, holy cow only a month and a half away.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

Just on the train back to Madrid from Toledo. Very cool city, although the sword shops (many of which sell Lord of the Rings props for added cringeworthiness) are ridiculous. It even seemed that none of the swords actually had an edge.

While there are 100 shops selling fake swords in Toledo, at least it's different from the miniature houses, postcards, keychains, shot glasses, bad t-shirts, and novelty pens/pencils sold in every other tourist trap town in Europe. At least their tourist shop gimmick is unique(ish).

I think the Venn diagram intersection of people who are qualified to responsibly hold and use a sharp-edged sword and care about its edge, and the people who buy novelty swords in tourist traps, is 0. So, it cuts down on the number of idiots severing their femoral arteries every year who fail to cut a coconut/watermelon with a sword.

But yeah I liked Toledo too despite it being a total tourist trap. It's a nice full day trip from Madrid.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Saladman posted:

While there are 100 shops selling fake swords in Toledo, at least it's different from the miniature houses, postcards, keychains, shot glasses, bad t-shirts, and novelty pens/pencils sold in every other tourist trap town in Europe. At least their tourist shop gimmick is unique(ish).

I think the Venn diagram intersection of people who are qualified to responsibly hold and use a sharp-edged sword and care about its edge, and the people who buy novelty swords in tourist traps, is 0. So, it cuts down on the number of idiots severing their femoral arteries every year who fail to cut a coconut/watermelon with a sword.

But yeah I liked Toledo too despite it being a total tourist trap. It's a nice full day trip from Madrid.

I am sure the reason is entirely "sheeple are retarded" and has nothing to do with the overall legality (or lack thereof) of possessing knives and bladed weapons, let alone carry them in public. :rolleyes:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

I am sure the reason is entirely "sheeple are retarded" and has nothing to do with the overall legality (or lack thereof) of possessing knives and bladed weapons, let alone carry them in public. :rolleyes:

Every law I've ever heard about has been regulated about the length of the knife, so... probably it's not a law in Spain since they're selling real metal swords everywhere in Toledo and not plastic ones. I know for sure you can carry a real sword around in California, for instance, so it's not like it's some universal truth :rolleyes:

E: A quick Google suggests something about an 11cm limit, and that double-edged daggers and switchblades are pretty much forbidden, while swords are usually okay since they're decorative, but that's just on some sword enthusiast forum, although there's a bunch of stuff about arma blanca and arma negra that I have no idea what the distinction is. YMMV, I'm not going to look up the penal code.

E2: Actually someone in the thread posted the penal code, Sections 4 and 5 on the Reglamento de Armas: No se considerarán comprendidas en las prohibiciones anteriores, la fabricación y comercialización con intervención de la Guardia Civil, en la forma prevenida en los artículos 12.2 y 106 de este Reglamento, la compraventa y la tenencia exclusivamente en el propio domicilio, con fines de ornato y coleccionismo, de las navajas no automáticas cuya hoja exceda de 11 centímetros.

Basically, there are no restrictions if you bought a sword for decorative purposes in your home. You can't carry it in the open or in your car, but you sure as poo poo can buy a sharp sword. :rolleyes: Are you British or something?

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 17, 2016

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

There's at least one guy in Toledo, Mariano Zamorano I think his name was, that does legit swords. I was seriously considering buying one and he gave me a tour of his workshop which was really cool. In the end the price was too much for the sword and shipping, but the quality was amazing.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Going to be in Florence for about 3 days (Sat afternoon > Tuesday afternoon). Plan on spending about half the time exploring the city, but was hoping to take at least a day trip to a surrounding town or area. Any recommendations for the best way to do this? I am particularly interested in visiting some vineyards as some pretty killer wine regions are right there. I'm ok with renting a car if needed (did it in Spain basque region last summer and it was a great decision). Would totally be open to spending a night elsewhere (a small town or something). Overall just looking for any recommendation for outside the city and stuff off the beaten path.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
'Sup Eurogoons!

I'm an American. I lived in Spain from 2007 to 2012. In 2012 since I wasn't able to renew my legal residency, I ended up I overstaying a schengen visa by about three months while I wrapped up my life in Madrid. In 2014 I returned to Madrid with my boyfriend at the time. When the customs official was looking at my passport, he asked me why I'd come, and I said I was there to sightsee. He pointed out (ominously, in my mind) that my Spanish was very good and asked to see my boyfriend. Fortunately he was right behind me and when he confirmed to the customs official that he knew me, I was allowed to proceed without consequence. I am now planning to visit Madrid again in two weeks. My fear is that my overstay in 2012 will come back to haunt me again - I know well that I got off light last time and that they could have deported me or hit me with a huge fine. What is the likelihood of that happening? Is there a statute of limitations on visa overstays?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Saladman posted:

Are you British or something?

Quite :P But yes, all I am saying is that it is not overly surprising that most of them don't have an edge, because that is the easiest way to make sure one doesn't run afoul of the law ;)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Xibanya posted:

'Sup Eurogoons!

I'm an American. I lived in Spain from 2007 to 2012. In 2012 since I wasn't able to renew my legal residency, I ended up I overstaying a schengen visa by about three months while I wrapped up my life in Madrid. In 2014 I returned to Madrid with my boyfriend at the time. When the customs official was looking at my passport, he asked me why I'd come, and I said I was there to sightsee. He pointed out (ominously, in my mind) that my Spanish was very good and asked to see my boyfriend. Fortunately he was right behind me and when he confirmed to the customs official that he knew me, I was allowed to proceed without consequence. I am now planning to visit Madrid again in two weeks. My fear is that my overstay in 2012 will come back to haunt me again - I know well that I got off light last time and that they could have deported me or hit me with a huge fine. What is the likelihood of that happening? Is there a statute of limitations on visa overstays?

There's no statute of limitations. You overstayed your visa once, they likely are going to be worried that you're going to do it again.

The best thing you can do is bring all the documentation you can that shows you're going to go back to the states. Return plane ticket, a travel itinerary, a letter from your job saying you still work there, a copy of your lease showing you're still living there for x months, that sort of thing.

If you're white you've got a better chance of getting let in than anyone else, and the fact that you're American doesn't hurt, but no one can really give you odds, it'll depend on the border agent.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Saladman posted:

Well, I know it's a horrible idea to buy a sword, but if I were to ever do so, I'd want it to actually be functional, whether or not I'd ever use it.

The large number of swords and knives would explain why security screening at the train station was so tight compared to Madrid.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I own a lovely flimsy tourist trap $30 sword, and also a much nicer flimsy tourist trap $150 sword, I cherish them both, they're cool momentos that will last a lifetime.

Bonus: Bought them in 2000, brought them on as carry-on luggage from London to Dallas. Try that today.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I am sick of Euro coins. There are too goddamn many of them, there is no reason why there should be both a 2-cent and 1-cent coin (in fact, I wish they'd do away with them altogether like Canada and several other countries have). I'd also eliminate the 20 and 50 cent coins and add a 25-cent coin.

I have an ever-increasing pile of coins on my bedside table here and I think the entire lot might not even add up to a whole Euro.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

Quite :P But yes, all I am saying is that it is not overly surprising that most of them don't have an edge, because that is the easiest way to make sure one doesn't run afoul of the law ;)

I've never understood why the British government is so afraid of bladed weapons, especially long ones. How many homicides are there, every year, from Celtic broadswords? I kind of understand the restrictions on daggers and stuff but normally even those can be purchased. California is pretty unusual, I think, in that anyone can go all out in public with real swords and daggers and whatever with no license, as long as they're not concealed.

One of my uncles in the US is huge into reenactment and goes around carrying a bunch of guns and swords across the states and he's never had any problems. Maybe he has a sword license though, I never even thought to ask. He definitely has a gun permit and documents saying the weapons are real and are antiques.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

PT6A posted:

I am sick of Euro coins. There are too goddamn many of them, there is no reason why there should be both a 2-cent and 1-cent coin (in fact, I wish they'd do away with them altogether like Canada and several other countries have). I'd also eliminate the 20 and 50 cent coins and add a 25-cent coin.

I have an ever-increasing pile of coins on my bedside table here and I think the entire lot might not even add up to a whole Euro.

Many countries (not sure if most?) HAVE done away with the 1 and 2 cent coins, in that while most places will take them if you insist, they're not minted and nobody will give them to you. I think this is a good idea. Replacing 20 and 50 cent coins with 25 ones would be weird though.

Waci fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 18, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Waci posted:

Many countries (not sure if most?) HAVE done away with the 1 and 2 cent coins, in that while most places will take them if you insist, they're not minted and nobody will give them to you. I think this is a good idea. Replacing 20 and 50 cent coins with 25 ones would be weird though.

Really? I'd be in favour of dropping the 5-cent and then sticking with 10,20,50, but I really like quarters as long as there's a 5-cent division. There are fewer types of coins to worry about, and you need exactly two of the most common coins to add up to 50 cents, which is a common division. In theory, the 50-cent piece is even better, but I never seem to have enough of them in practice, so I'm stuck with using three coins of two different denominations. Maybe I'd get used to it, but it seems cumbersome coming from North America, where both the US and Canada have quarters.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Waci posted:

Many countries (not sure if most?) HAVE done away with the 1 and 2 cent coins, in that while most places will take them if you insist, they're not minted and nobody will give them to you.

Every country still uses the 1 and 2 eurocents except for Belgium, NL, Finland, and Ireland. (Didn't know about the last two until I just checked). The 1 and 2 eurocent coins are ubiquitous in France, Germany, Italy, and Spain.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Oh, drat, didn't realise it was just 4 out of 19. Well, still a good idea even if less common than I though.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

PT6A posted:

Well, I know it's a horrible idea to buy a sword, but if I were to ever do so, I'd want it to actually be functional, whether or not I'd ever use it.

The large number of swords and knives would explain why security screening at the train station was so tight compared to Madrid.

They regularly stop people on the Eurostar (or trying to get on the train) from Brussels or Paris to London with shells, grenades and other assorted ammunition that they picked up in Flanders or in Normandy, trying to take them back to the UK as mementos. Always remember, many of these controls and rules exist because somebody made it necessary! ;)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

They regularly stop people on the Eurostar (or trying to get on the train) from Brussels or Paris to London with shells, grenades and other assorted ammunition that they picked up in Flanders or in Normandy, trying to take them back to the UK as mementos. Always remember, many of these controls and rules exist because somebody made it necessary! ;)

That sounds like an even worse idea than an untrained person trying to cut a watermelon with a sword. "Hey let's put this 70 year-old UXO in my luggage and shake it around a bunch". :psyboom:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Well, the sign at the train station did say that you could take sharp objects provided they were properly packaged.

To be honest, I didn't even think about the implications of carrying an actual sword wherever you go. It seems so antiquated a weapon that no one would even think to use it offensively on purpose :saddowns:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Hollow Talk posted:

So the lesson to be learned here is that if you're going to take explosive war mementos back from France to England, go via plane so you can check them into your luggage :q:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

HookShot posted:

There's no statute of limitations. You overstayed your visa once, they likely are going to be worried that you're going to do it again.

The best thing you can do is bring all the documentation you can that shows you're going to go back to the states. Return plane ticket, a travel itinerary, a letter from your job saying you still work there, a copy of your lease showing you're still living there for x months, that sort of thing.

If you're white you've got a better chance of getting let in than anyone else, and the fact that you're American doesn't hurt, but no one can really give you odds, it'll depend on the border agent.

Yikes, thanks for giving it to me straight. I'll be reentering with a :siren:boyfriend:siren: again so I'll bring the docs you recommended, ready for questions about who I'm entering with (I'm assuming that entering with someone who had never before gone into schengen somehow helped me last time) and hope that all goes well. I already told my duderino that if I'm detained he should go ahead and have as much fun as possible without me. :stonklol:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Xibanya posted:

Yikes, thanks for giving it to me straight. I'll be reentering with a :siren:boyfriend:siren: again so I'll bring the docs you recommended, ready for questions about who I'm entering with (I'm assuming that entering with someone who had never before gone into schengen somehow helped me last time) and hope that all goes well. I already told my duderino that if I'm detained he should go ahead and have as much fun as possible without me. :stonklol:

To be honest I think that makes it even worse for you, as it means they think you're more likely to overstay your visa again and become an illegal immigrant. I would not mention him to the immigration police unless I had to. I have no personal experience or even secondhand info, so I'm just going on (and propagating) Internet rumors.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I have an 8 hour layover in Warsaw towards the end of July, after a flight back from the US. We land at 9am and have our flight out at 5pm, and I see the Warsaw airport is in the center of town so we should have plenty of time to check it out.

Any suggestions on what we should do? We like self-guided walking tours, architecture, shopping districts that sell clothes/shoes/design nicknacks (and aren't filled with major international chains that we can find anywhere), and anything cultural where if you walk through all the rooms at a brisk pace you feel like you've experienced it. Lazienki Palace looks like it might be up our alley for that last point. Museums with stuff on the walls and in glass cases usually put us to sleep, and I think definitely will in this case after an overnight flight from Chicago.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Saladman posted:

To be honest I think that makes it even worse for you, as it means they think you're more likely to overstay your visa again and become an illegal immigrant. I would not mention him to the immigration police unless I had to. I have no personal experience or even secondhand info, so I'm just going on (and propagating) Internet rumors.

I'm curious about the logic there. Wouldn't being alone lend more credence to the idea that I'm there to work illegally? (Not that I would volunteer any information that they don't ask for.)

E: Would intentionally speaking bad Spanish or none at all help? I remember last time the border agent remarked on my fluency. (My Spanish is good...too good...) if it helps I'm the biggest guiri who ever lived so if I didn't speak Spanish it'd be quite convincing.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 18, 2016

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Xibanya posted:

I'm curious about the logic there. Wouldn't being alone lend more credence to the idea that I'm there to work illegally? (Not that I would volunteer any information that they don't ask for.)

E: Would intentionally speaking bad Spanish or none at all help? I remember last time the border agent remarked on my fluency. (My Spanish is good...too good...) if it helps I'm the biggest guiri who ever lived so if I didn't speak Spanish it'd be quite convincing.

No, if you're alone they'd just think you were some tourist. I doubt it makes any difference on the likelihood of whether the border agent will look it up / notice / enforce it but that's a complete guess, I'm not an immigration lawyer.

This rumor might also just stem from the fact that entering a country on a tourist visa with the purpose of getting married and staying in the country is illegal—definitely in the US, not sure about Europe. In the US, if you're planning to get married you're supposed to file the intention beforehand, so you can have serious issues if you go to the US on a tourist visa and then get married (e.g. http://www.snaid.com/Marriage-Green-Cards.html ). I don't know if it's the same issue in Europe.

I have entered on an expired visa once and an expired residence permit once and didn't have a problem either time, so enforcement is definitely not 100%.

VVVV: And that. If you look Moroccan or have an Arab-sounding name, then you're hosed, Xibanya.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 18, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If you pass the paper bag test they don't give a gently caress what you do. I don't think the immigration agent even talked to me long enough to actually check my passport unless he had uncommonly fast internet and reading comprehension.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

PT6A posted:

If you pass the paper bag test they don't give a gently caress what you do. I don't think the immigration agent even talked to me long enough to actually check my passport unless he had uncommonly fast internet and reading comprehension.

Saladman posted:

No, if you're alone they'd just think you were some tourist. I doubt it makes any difference on the likelihood of whether the border agent will look it up / notice / enforce it but that's a complete guess, I'm not an immigration lawyer.

This rumor might also just stem from the fact that entering a country on a tourist visa with the purpose of getting married and staying in the country is illegal—definitely in the US, not sure about Europe. In the US, if you're planning to get married you're supposed to file the intention beforehand, so you can have serious issues if you go to the US on a tourist visa and then get married (e.g. http://www.snaid.com/Marriage-Green-Cards.html ). I don't know if it's the same issue in Europe.

I have entered on an expired visa once and an expired residence permit once and didn't have a problem either time, so enforcement is definitely not 100%.

VVVV: And that. If you look Moroccan or have an Arab-sounding name, then you're hosed, Xibanya.

I guess that seems odd to me since my boyfriend is also an American. It's not like us getting married in Spain would give us residency anyway. (I mean even having a kid there wouldn't do that.) But yeah I look super Northern European white and have a generic Anglo last name, so I suppose there's no use worrying about it. I also polled a few of my friends who are still there (illegally) and none of them said they ever got hassled. God bless Spanish laziness :spain:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PT6A posted:

Yeah if you have more than two sets of passport stamps in your book it's pretty safe to assume you won't be stuck there forever. You will probably get grief about it every time you go through, so you may want to have some fake documentation about a return ticket or proof of onward travel (save the website you printed your tickets from, then just modify the tickets to say whatever you want and print again for "proof" of onward travel).

Re: brown paper bag; As I was flying out of Paris in the international terminal I mumbled something to the passport-stampy guy about "taking the train through morocco" somehow he heard "chicago" and asked me if it was a city he should visit some day, stamped my passport and on I went.

On the flip side, landing in Marrakesh, the slightly dull customs guy in morocco grilled me for about 5 minutes thinking I was Jewish/Israeli or something, despite having a US passport, swedish looking last name, and looking like I'm from Finland.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
New Zealand once stamped my passport with a residency permit for a 10 day visit. I literally could have stayed there forever, but it sadly expired when I left the country.

edit: and then the next time I went there the guy couldn't figure out why I had a New Zealand residency permit in my passport but I wasn't popping up in the computer as being a resident.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Hadlock posted:

Yeah if you have more than two sets of passport stamps in your book it's pretty safe to assume you won't be stuck there forever. You will probably get grief about it every time you go through, so you may want to have some fake documentation about a return ticket or proof of onward travel (save the website you printed your tickets from, then just modify the tickets to say whatever you want and print again for "proof" of onward travel).

Why would having more than two sets of passport stamps be better than less? Not that it changes my situation but I'm curious. (In fact I only have two blank pages left in my passport, the rest is mainly filled with entry/exit stamps from Barajas.)

Also, not sure if the latter part was aimed at me, but I don't gotta photoshop poo poo, I am legit only gonna be in Europe for six days. I know I broke the law in 2012, but I've gone straight. That and there's no way I'd work for Spanish wages again. gently caress that aspiring to be a mileurista poo poo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you have a ton of passport stamps, it gives the impression that you have the financial resources to not be a drag on the economy, not likely to be immigrating with the intent of getting a blue collar job and living there illegally, etc etc. It doesn't hurt to say something like "I wanted to stay for two weeks, but my sister is pregnant and due at the end of the month and want to be there when my niece is born, so I had to cut it short to 6 days" or whatever.

If you have a blank syrian passport and you look a little malnourished, you're less likely to get in.

Showing up well groomed, having a well worn US passport with a story about going home to visit family afterwards moves the trust needle in the other direction.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

So far, A Coruña is a bit more... unapproachable than some of the other cities I've been to in Spain, but I'm already starting to get a bit of a feel for it and I really like it. For the same I was paying in Madrid, my hotel room here is palatial in comparison. Food and wine/beer are amazing, judging by the one meal I had, but I can't rule out that I just got lucky.

This is taking the place that San Sebastian did in my last trip, and I like this much more so far (and for so much less money!)

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Jeoh posted:

If it has this logo:

You are definitely good to go.

I asked a few weeks ago about suspended Schengen borders.... welp, turns out that in some cases you absolutely need a passport. I was denied boarding for the Vienna-Bratislava boat with my Austrian ID with that biometric ID symbol on it. They were real pricks about it too. 30 euros down the drain and my family was upset to have to go to Bratislava without me, but they did fine on their own. (not blaming anyone who replied to me at all, please don't read it like that)

On the other hand, trains across Austria-Czechia and Austria-Hungary border required no ID whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
wow that's exceptionally douchey nice work Romania.