Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Zeris posted:

Every time the vet thing comes up and some guy says "I always wanted to serve but blah blah" I realize I made the right choice.

Its hard not to be smug when i hear that. Then i realize they were way smarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I don't regret joining, I definitely regret not getting out sooner though.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ace of Baes posted:

I don't regret joining, I definitely regret not getting out sooner though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

manchego posted:

i don't regret my 5 years, but the army can (often) suck huge amounts of rear end. people who are considering joining really can't even appreciate what stupidity awaits them until they've gone through it, though.

i actually loving listened to the gip "how to army, noble-flavor (OCS)" advice because i wanted to join with a college degree back in 2009. thank gently caress i did that because lol at you if you're enlisted in the army. the army is enough of a punishment if your command climate is garbage as an officer, but i'd have killed myself if i had to go through some of what i did as a joe or fresh sergeant.

anywho, being non-infantry in a an IN BN was actually great, as was deploying to afghanistan as an arty PL.

i didn't go to any schools because gently caress the army, met some great people and had above-average supervisors.

like you, i don't know if i would do it over again. i'd still get out after doing my (combat arms) LT time. some guys have a boner about taking command, but that poo poo seems like a pain in the dick and i personally think you've already hit a career-high after your platoon time. i got lucky with where and how i landed, and the risk of getting dumped into lovely organizations hugely outweighs the chance you might go to a decent unit/place.

i think there's a bit of the "grass is always greener" about getting out, but if you can handle being an adult, it's a lot better. i blew the tire on my car this morning and all i had to do was tell my boss, "i'm taking the day off."

i didn't have to beg a major to be let go after being told "figure out how to make this division change of command cause it's pretty loving important ablooobloooo ablooooooo" gently caress being on staff.

Agree with pretty much this entire post. Being a deployed PL in a line unit, especially if you're sent forward from the company, is basically the pinnacle of an officer's career and also makes staff a thousand times worse. No regrets, but I'm not sure if I'd do it again.

Also company command these days is loving awful. Company commanders are given increasing responsibility, without any of the authority to get anything done. Additionally, the contemporary Army views soldiers purely as metrics on a slide deck, not actual people. This forces commanders to either empathize with their soldiers and get burned for keeping and working with otherwise outstanding people who have issues, or effectively become sociopaths who are blind to the finer points of dealing with human beings.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

It was 100% worth it because getting a college degree from a reputable university for free and getting paid to do it is actually really huge all things considered, and the self discipline and motivation from the army makes college easy as poo poo.

You know you made the right decision when you're scoffing at people bitching about student loans and grades while you are sitting there raking in the dough doing absolutely nothing getting straight A's because you literally have nothing better to do with your time than to succeed because grants and BAH means you don't need to work.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
The tangible benefits (Post-9/11, etc) and the intangibles (confidence, assertiveness, actually getting poo poo done more vs procrastinating, less fucks to give about petty poo poo, civilian hero-worship to whatever degree) are definitely nice. As much as I could bemoan getting hosed out of a sweet 35-series job because of my retarded fractional lack of color differentiation, on the whole I'd say stumbling into being a medic worked out well since not only did I figure out I'm fairly competent and interested in medical poo poo but it's also a poo poo hot career field.

My one wish, if I could magically genie some poo poo, would be to just do the entire thing deployed as far the gently caress away from garrison bullshit and flagpoles as physically possible. Gimme my annual month of R&R, let me just do my actual loving job and leave me the gently caress alone outside of that, rack up some sweet deployment pay, and I'd be happy as a pig in poo poo.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If I were judging solely by my time in, I'd regret it. I had lovely bosses that loved loving with subordinates for no reason other than a power trip, and one whose incompetence got a few of my former soldiers outright killed. When I worked for a combat hospital, I got to see the worst of worst coming to terms with the fact that their arm/leg/balls were either missing or got some high-speed metallic additions. What made it worth it to me was the GI Bill when I could finally walk away from it all. Now I've got a second degree, I'm coming up on being a divemaster for a local PADI shop, and I've applied to NOAA to be a commissioned officer for them instead of going back into civil affairs. My discharge from the army was such a clusterfuck that I ended up without a reserve commission or even an IRR obligation, and the only way to fix it was to apply to a reappointment board that only meets once a year. I hate the army as an institution and my time in will probably serve as the lowest point in my life (literally nothing else has driven me that close to suicide), but I appreciate the college degree and work ethic that I got out of it.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

All the best parts of the Army come after you get your DD 214. All the terrible parts happen before.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

the national guard was 100% worth it, allowing me to go overseas and pursue a college career while "servin' muh country."

can't say much about the active duty side. The Marine Reserves I'm hoping is similar to the guard, I can easily ride out towards a retirement being a lovely soldier 1 weekend a month.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Army was and is a log of dog poo poo wrapped in a crispy shell of retard-logic and smothered with a piquant sauce of fart-huffing superiority served with a word salad side dish. If I had to do it again right now I'd laugh while getting denied on the entrance physical for being a broke dick. If I could go back in time and talk to myself? I'd still say do it, because now that I'm done eating what the Army served I'm getting the benefits-desert that comes after it and the opportunities provided by that are pretty much unbeatable by anything else I could have put four years into doing.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
I dropped out of high school and enlisted a couple months after I turned 17 so the army played a big part in me figuring out who I am. I was really bitter for a while about getting IRR recalled considering my first deployment was stoplossed and extended into a 16 month shitshow, but the IRR deployment was safe and easy and I was able to save up a ton of money that I used as a down payment on my house and to set me up for a long stretch of schoolin and chillin. I crammed a lot of lessons and experiences in my 6 years with the army and came out with my CIB and E6 so when I'm 70 and it's ok to wear my uniform to old dude functions I can poo poo talk all those scrub bitches that got out as E4s.

No Ragrets.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

RichieHimself posted:

I dropped out of high school and enlisted a couple months after I turned 17 so the army played a big part in me figuring out who I am. I was really bitter for a while about getting IRR recalled considering my first deployment was stoplossed and extended into a 16 month shitshow, but the IRR deployment was safe and easy and I was able to save up a ton of money that I used as a down payment on my house and to set me up for a long stretch of schoolin and chillin. I crammed a lot of lessons and experiences in my 6 years with the army and came out with my CIB and E6 so when I'm 70 and it's ok to wear my uniform to old dude functions I can poo poo talk all those scrub bitches that got out as E4s.

No Ragrets.

Oh dude. You IRR recalls are the most pissed off dudes.

When I deployed to Iraq the 2nd time the Army recalled some captain, who already had his sweet civilian life set up, to be on BN staff. That guy did his level best to take out all his hatred on all of us for the entire year.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

spacetoaster posted:

Oh dude. You IRR recalls are the most pissed off dudes.

When I deployed to Iraq the 2nd time the Army recalled some captain, who already had his sweet civilian life set up, to be on BN staff. That guy did his level best to take out all his hatred on all of us for the entire year.

Was it a D. Cohen by chance

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Got my DD214 and signed out today.

Have to go back on post tomorrow to take a clep test for my school but i aint even mad.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ace of Baes is GiP Civilian of the Month, May 2016, Army Category, by virtue of getting the gently caress out.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Don't you dare shave

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Ace of Baes is GiP Civilian of the Month, May 2016, Army Category, by virtue of getting the gently caress out.

not caring here posted:

Don't you dare shave

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

not caring here posted:

Don't you dare shave

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
vet beards are as bad as wearing your assault pack to school or having your USMC bumper sticker on the back of your truck imo

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'M GONNA SHOW THEM FOR MAKING ME SHAVE EVERY DAY

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Also I can't grow a beard worth a poo poo, but then again neither can most people who sport them :shrug:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'M GONNA SHOW THEM FOR MAKING ME SHAVE EVERY DAY

It's the circle of life.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Also I can't grow a beard worth a poo poo, but then again neither can most people who sport them :shrug:

heh :smuggo:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Duck Dynasty beards are nasty and gets you lumped in with filthy fake-men hipsters, a 4-guard buzz is where it's at.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

post it

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i shave so i don't look like a filthy bum

i mean christ did you guys stop brushing your teeth when you moved out of your parents' house?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

he has before its glorious

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

not caring here posted:

Don't you dare shave

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I've seen it before. it's a drat fine beard

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
hey if brother man can grow a great beard then more power too him, but at the same time I see a lot of vets walking around looking like homeless slobs with thin pubelike beards and I don't think they're doing themselves any favors :shrug:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I also can't grow facial hair. Currently I'm exploiting that fact so I don't have to shave before pt. It's such a stupid idea to shave before getting all sweaty and taking a shower, anyway. Sweat makes my neck sting. :(

Edit: I'm tdy right now so no pt frmatuons or uniforms or army. It's great. I don't want to go back.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
also I see a lot of non vets with lovely beards too, I mean have you ever looked at pictures of goons :holymoley:

and if you're growing your beard just because you're a vet and "I EARNED THE RIGHT TO GROW THIS BEARD" you're kinda still identifying your existence with being in the military which I think is kind of sad. Yes, I realize that I am posting this in GIP so yes I am being a hypocrite. IDK FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I already know I will go through a rebellious "gently caress you army I am done!" phase when I get out, but I hope it doesn't last too long. Gonna try to be the guy who dies in his 90s and my grandkids find some junk box with some army medals in it and they all go "wow, did you know gramps was in the army? Nah... probably just stolen valor."

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
suck my yuuuge and luxurious beard from the back

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
KFFF has me beat though.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I use a pair of trimmers with no guard when the face fuzz gets itchy, but actually shaving? Like, with a razor and stuff? Go gently caress yourself.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
when i grow a beard i look like the guy with the beard from little house on the prairie, at least according to my coworkers from my pre army days, i might let it out a little bit but ill probably keep shaving, what i am looking forward to is not loving up my face by shaving the skin off my face because some dbag csm tells me i didnt shave at 5am at 4 in the afternoon because i have 5 o clock shadow

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I love my beard when I grow it. Letting it out a month and maintaining that length is perfect for me.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The last day that I shaved was 26 Feb 2014, my last duty day. Shaving the old fashioned way always chews up my skin, and even an electric razor is less than fun if it's daily. I keep about an inch or so of beard on and just reign it in when it gets too close to lumberjack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i shave in the shower with a really old mach3 blade usually and no cream or whatever.

Sometimes I use a straight razor and clay, but I usually just shear pubes off with that (dry :madmax:)

• Locked thread