Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
If the 1070 is twice as fast as a 970 and I can sell my 970 for roughly half the price of a 1070, I think I'll upgrade pretty readily. Though I doubt I can resell the 970 for that much, the price will probably nosedive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All this founders vs 3rd party card talk really factors down to one thing, availability.

If 3rd party 1080 designs are available in quantity in mid June. Fine, it's worthwhile to wait if you are sitting on a card prior to 9x0.

If 3rd party designs aren't going to be available until late July/ early August (it later), gently caress waiting.

Unfortunately, nothing about the embargo lifting tackled availability and quantity. So we are left guessing.

All I know is if the Founders 1080 sells out in less than a day and you can't easily get your hands on a 1080 3rd party design until September, I'm going to be PISSED for not jumping at one immediately upon release.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bull3964 posted:

All this founders vs 3rd party card talk really factors down to one thing, availability.

If 3rd party 1080 designs are available in quantity in mid June. Fine, it's worthwhile to wait if you are sitting on a card prior to 9x0.

If 3rd party designs aren't going to be available until late July/ early August (it later), gently caress waiting.

Unfortunately, nothing about the embargo lifting tackled availability and quantity. So we are left guessing.

All I know is if the Founders 1080 sells out in less than a day and you can't easily get your hands on a 1080 3rd party design until September, I'm going to be PISSED for not jumping at one immediately upon release.

Has it ever been like this before? Do we have any history to go off of?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

Has it ever been like this before? Do we have any history to go off of?

Yeah, how soon are the 3rd part availability dates traditionally announced? Are they under some sort of post computex embargo before they can announce their plans?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's hard to say since this is new silicon on a new process that's ALSO using a new type of memory.

There are too many variables to predict. It depends on both the yield of GP104 and the yield of DDR5x.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I already sold my 970 to avoid the price drop, but I got plenty of old games that my iGPU can run, so I'm prepared for a long delay.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

bull3964 posted:

I've got a 780 right now, which is adequate, but I'm itching to upgrade. I figure I'll wait for the 3rd party 1080s, and if they're delayed to the point where I can't get one at a sane price until August/September I'll just chill another few months and wait for the 1080 Ti.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
[H] is claiming that the founder's edition and the 3rd party cards will be available at the same time, which makes me wonder who will actually buy the founder's edition.

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2016/05/17/nvidia_gtx_1080_founders_edition_early_adopter_tax_goes_away#.VzudaL48UuV

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Is anyone seriously thinking it'll take 2-3 months for third parties to get any stock together? That's just silly.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Is anyone seriously thinking it'll take 2-3 months for third parties to get any stock together? That's just silly.

It happened on the AMD side for the 290/290X launch. I remember because the jet engine blower + thermal throttle on the reference cards is why I bought a 780.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

They'll all have their own reference boards out on the 27th, sure, but in past generations it hasn't been unusual for it to be a month or so before the worthwhile custom boards start trickling out. And if these reviews are right, this is a card that is just begging for someone to bother slapping a beefier power delivery unit on there, which would really increase its price:performance attractiveness.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Only way I could see it is if supply of gddr5x is constrained and Nvidia is bogarting it while AMD is stuck at the bottom of Moria or whatever

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
2-3 months is probably excessive, but if the AIB's haven't had their hands on these things for too long, I could absolutely see where we get an all-reference launch on the 27th, 1-2 weeks before reference-with-AIB-coolers start showing up (hopefully at the $600 price point) and then 4-6 weeks before any of the traditionally "worth it longer term" cards like the EVGA Classified or similar custom PCBs drop.

Or they could all show up by the end of June. No one knows!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

[H] is claiming that the founder's edition and the 3rd party cards will be available at the same time, which makes me wonder who will actually buy the founder's edition.

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2016/05/17/nvidia_gtx_1080_founders_edition_early_adopter_tax_goes_away#.VzudaL48UuV

This is confusing. Why would any of the 3rd party vendors sell a marked up reference model? It sounds like they are all going to have a Founder's Edition, from what has been shown on their sites, but I guess I don't understand the incentive if their third party superior designs will be available at the same time. It seems like all this will do is make some unfortunate people upset when Dad got them the Founder's Edition thinking it was the best or similar confusion

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Tanreall posted:

Polaris is not a high end part. You'll have to wait for Vega if you want something high end from AMD. Optimistic performance of Polaris would be 980 Ti performance.

This is really optimistic. I'm expecting ~ GTX 970 performance for $269 or something like that.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

tijag posted:

This is really optimistic. I'm expecting ~ GTX 970 performance for $269 or something like that.

GTX 970's have been just about that price when on sale or with some Jet.com fuckery for a while...

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

repiv posted:

IIRC they said Fast Sync is already available in the driver reviewers are using now, so it will probably be in the first public Pascal driver.

*vibrates excitedly until driver release*

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

tijag posted:

I'm expecting somewhere in the range from $200 to a bit less for 390 performance to $270 for 980 Ti performance assuming they do a sane aggressive price (I think so). Watch it actually overclock well and totally screw my guesses.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

This is confusing. Why would any of the 3rd party vendors sell a marked up reference model?
Because some people will actually WANT the reference model, either because it's the only thing that launches on the 27th and they MUST HAVE IT NOW, or because they want a high-end blower style for whatever reason, and some of the AIB's offer reasons to opt for them over NVidia direct (EVGA's step-up program, for example).

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

This is confusing. Why would any of the 3rd party vendors sell a marked up reference model? It sounds like they are all going to have a Founder's Edition, from what has been shown on their sites, but I guess I don't understand the incentive if their third party superior designs will be available at the same time. It seems like all this will do is make some unfortunate people upset when Dad got them the Founder's Edition thinking it was the best or similar confusion

That is really, really weird.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Bleh Maestro posted:

That is really, really weird.
It's actually one of the things that makes me think there will be a bit of a delay before said superior 3rd party cards hit the streets. Or they'll be simple cooler changes on stock PCB's and priced at $650, at which point you'll have people spring for the Founder's Edition because it's not that much more expensive, and the name makes it sound like it's something more special than it actually is.

Also remember that the blower cooler on this one is actually really good and quiet, so there doesn't seem to be as much of a penalty for going with it vice the standard 2-3 fan setup, especially since the OC results seem to indicate that it power limits well before it thermally does.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I know everyone is going off the angle "NVidia is doing the Founders Edition to bilk more money out of the consumer" but I really don't think that's true, and every move (from the pricing, to the release, to the design) indicates they DON'T want it to be a commonly purchased card. I am guessing they are trying to make the reference design stop being a competitor to the vendor cards. Maybe it was part of a deal for higher licensing fees or something, or maybe it's part of a marketing ploy to make the OC cards priced better by giving them some real estate in the pricing to move around.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

DrDork posted:

Because some people will actually WANT the reference model, either because it's the only thing that launches on the 27th and they MUST HAVE IT NOW, or because they want a high-end blower style for whatever reason, and some of the AIB's offer reasons to opt for them over NVidia direct (EVGA's step-up program, for example).

My comment was regarding this:

quote:

This is an interesting change of events. Many of our readers have been a bit upset with how the "new" Founders Edition GTX 1080 cards were to be rolled out. Many readers saw this FE simply as a reference card with a new name that was being charged $100 extra for while AIB partner cards were making their way to market. It has been referred to as an "early adopters" tax more than once. That seems that it might not be the case now. I expected Founders Edition cards to be for sale within 48 hours of today's GTX 1080 launch, but that is not the case. NVIDIA has just informed me that Founders Edition cards will be available at the same time as AIB partner cards. The MSRP + $100 pricing still stands, it just seems now you will not have the option of getting the FE a week or two before AIB cards.

It seems like in that article they are asserting that the 3rd party non-Founders cards will be available simultaneously with the Founders Edition. In which case it still doesn't make sense to me why EVGA would make a $700 Founder's Edition and then make a superior non-Founder's edition either with a different cooling solution or with a blower but marked down from $700. Even if there's a person or two out there that would prefer the Founder's Edition from EVGA as opposed to EVGA's own blower, it still seems like they are running a greater risk of manufacturing ill will in confused consumers purchasing the Founder's Edition thinking that they are getting something more valuable than the other cards and finding out after the fact that that's not the case.

It doesn't seem good for the brand, but I think I'm still missing some part of the story. Maybe they thought that they wouldn't be able to release the 3rd party AIB cards at the same time and so this was a plan to mitigate that, but then it ended up not working out that way? Or maybe the person the hardocp writer talked to is misinformed.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, if they're all going to be available at the same time, the pricing is really strange. I mean, got it, it's a nice blower cooler and there are some people who want blower coolers, but you'd think the AIB's would cut the fanciness down (plastic shroud, etc) and move back towards the $600 price for people who want blowers, and let NVidia sell direct to the few people who think that $100 to have a metal shroud is a good deal.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Amd should make some kind of announcement before the first pascal ships, and not a Roy tweet

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
What kind of announcement would you like them to release? Anyone excited about a GTX 1080 isn't going to be swayed by a lower performing, lower cost card. Makes more sense to make a splash near the GTX 1070 release than the GTX 1080.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Tanreall posted:

What kind of announcement would you like them to release? Anyone excited about a GTX 1080 isn't going to be swayed by a lower performing, lower cost card. Makes more sense to make a splash near the GTX 1070 release than the GTX 1080.

Literally anything lol

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Tanreall posted:

Which is already happening - computex at June 1st is quite a bit aways from the June 10th for the 1070. If AMD is smart, they'll beat them to benchmark release as well.

Also 970 performance on the currently hypothesized die size is honestly a pessimistic estimate. It's assuming zero fundamental change from GCN2 to GCN4 right down to clockspeeds, which is pretty insane TBH.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Also 970 performance on the currently hypothesized die size is honestly a pessimistic estimate. It's assuming zero fundamental change from GCN2 to GCN4 right down to clockspeeds, which is pretty insane TBH.

It's got a similar number of functional elements to Hawaii, no? So it's a matter of basing things off that (and then inevitably crying when the memory bandwidth gimps the piss out of a promising chip or something).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xthetenth posted:

It's got a similar number of functional elements to Hawaii, no? So it's a matter of basing things off that (and then inevitably crying when the memory bandwidth gimps the piss out of a promising chip or something).

Well, this chip has to last a few refreshes after all, so maybe they'll punt memory bandwidth to 2017's rebadging parade.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone mentioned coil whine with the 1080's? I notice the board uses the very same "R22" inductors that seem to cause all the whine in most of the other cards, so I can't imagine it's resolved yet.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Zero VGS posted:

Has anyone mentioned coil whine with the 1080's? I notice the board uses the very same "R22" inductors that seem to cause all the whine in most of the other cards, so I can't imagine it's resolved yet.

Hardware canucks said there was none ... or maybe it was Linus.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is Hardware Canucks based here in Canada?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Man, feels like I bought that R9 390 at the worst possible time a few months ago. I've been very happy with it but that kind of puts a damper on how longlived it will be. Maybe I should sell it now before the price nosedives.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

If Polaris drops a chip somewhere around 300 bucks that can fight it out with a 980Ti, then I'm sold. If it even approaches a 1070 I'll be thrilled.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The most intensive game I'm likely to play for the next couple years is Civ 6; I feel like my 970 is probably fine for 1440p for a while.

But a 1070 sure would be sweet.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

xthetenth posted:

Rumored 2560SPs, as the 2048 "mobile part" appears to be nothing more than a mistaken Tonga (which also apparently has a 1.35Ghz clockspeed, less than 150W TDP and 5.5TFLOPs, so the tiniest grain of salt there because JFC AMD, why wasn't this the 380X?! That'd crush the 960). So at bare minimum, absolute bare minimum, it's matching a R9 390. This means it gains no architectural improvements and clockspeed doesn't change, basically claiming that Hawaii was merely shrunk and somehow gained nothing from the shift to 14nm.

Except this isn't true - leaked benches of engineering samples indicated a 2304SP part @ 800mhz was matching a 390X, and even if AMD doesn't get frequency improvements that'd still make a stock 480 (not X) @ 1050mhz beat a 390X by ~30%. This is the cloesest thing to hard data we have on Polaris 10 so until something with a lot more credibility drops, I'm going to say that Polaris 10 XT will be ~40-50% faster than a 390X due to changes in µarch and clock speed, thus 980 ti performance (+/-5%) isn't out of question, although IMHO it'll be certainly stronger than a 980.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Rumored 2560SPs, as the 2048 "mobile part" appears to be nothing more than a mistaken Tonga (which also apparently has a 1.35Ghz clockspeed, less than 150W TDP and 5.5TFLOPs, so the tiniest grain of salt there because JFC AMD, why wasn't this the 380X?! That'd crush the 960). So at bare minimum, absolute bare minimum, it's matching a R9 390. This means it gains no architectural improvements and clockspeed doesn't change, basically claiming that Hawaii was merely shrunk and somehow gained nothing from the shift to 14nm.

Except this isn't true - leaked benches of engineering samples indicated a 2304SP part @ 800mhz was matching a 390X, and even if AMD doesn't get frequency improvements that'd still make a stock 480 (not X) @ 1050mhz beat a 390X by ~30%. This is the cloesest thing to hard data we have on Polaris 10 so until something with a lot more credibility drops, I'm going to say that Polaris 10 XT will be ~40-50% faster than a 390X due to changes in µarch and clock speed, thus 980 ti performance (+/-5%) isn't out of question, although IMHO it'll be certainly stronger than a 980.

Here's hoping. It'd be nice if I could stupidly convince myself I should get a card I don't have a retirement plan for.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Actually on that note, about Polaris 10, new PCI IDs in the latest AMDGPU

So that's eleven PCI ID's for Polaris 10 (and nine for Polaris 11).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

FaustianQ posted:

Actually on that note, about Polaris 10, new PCI IDs in the latest AMDGPU

So that's eleven PCI ID's for Polaris 10 (and nine for Polaris 11).

They're preallocating for the rebrands, smart!