Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
What are the good strength weapons. I've been trying the zweihander and the bigass club the one NPC drops but it feels like their stopping power is not commensurate with how slow they are (really slow)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I backstabbed a guy near a ledge in Lothric. His body actually tumbled over the ledge, which was hilarious, except...

It didn't kill him. Instead it turned him loving invisible :psyduck:

That's a semi-rare glitch involving the way the game loads models between areas. It's most noticable around elevators cause the game flips out and thinks they're in an unloaded area and refuses to render their model.

swamp waste posted:

What are the good strength weapons. I've been trying the zweihander and the bigass club the one NPC drops but it feels like their stopping power is not commensurate with how slow they are (really slow)

Anything with C or higher STR scaling with a Heavy infusion should work fine. Straight Swords, Greatswords, Axes, Hammers, or even Halberds would work best.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

swamp waste posted:

I haven't quite beaten the game yet, but early on I found the great machete (dropped by the saw dudes in the undead settlement) and the butcher knife to be really good. Later on the darkwraiths you find can drop a dark sword which does a lot of damage and swings very fast, and you can make an even better great machete with one of the boss souls that hits like a train.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Nonexistence posted:

I'm sl 65 at dragonslayer armour - am I severely underlevelled for this? Not in terms of difficulty, but I haven't seen a sign or been summoned since pontiff and I just want to engage in jolly cooperation.

Do you have a password on? He's impossible to summon for because every sign gets snatched up too fast but you should be getting summoned.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
distortion just broke his own record. It's down to 1:04:29.76 now.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

swamp waste posted:

In addition to what Alabaster said you should try Greataxes if you want a heavy hitter, they seem to hit faster for me because they don't have any sweeping attacks. The Greataxe has excellent damage and the Great Machete has less damage but better range. If you don't like those then heavies probably just aren't suited to your tastes. If you do then you may want to invest in the Greataxes made from boss souls because they're extremely strong but a pain to upgrade.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Pretty much anything in the Greataxe family owns bones.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

For a first playthrough though, not pvp

I am aware sorcerer eventually gits gud

Even though Sorcery eventually does start doing excellent damage by NG+, the game is more-or-less over (and there's nothing new to see in NG+), and there's not so much "Sorcery builds" as "one Sorcery build." Doing anything other than wearing all three Magic damage rings + the Sage's Ring, the Oolacile Kid's Crown, and offhanding the Scholar's Candlestick is strictly suboptimal. About the only choice you have is whether you want higher burst with Sage's or more consistent damage with Court Sorcerer's. It's just dull how there's no room for creativity with Sorcery builds, and it's something that simply hasn't improved since the original days of DS1 (and, with the Candlestick's addition, has arguably gotten worse).

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Most importantly you have to wear that dumb crown again

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have been having a lot of fun as a sorcerer (just finished the profaned capitol) but after getting to the third big batch of spells I'm finding it weird how unimpressive they are. They use four times the FP as the generic pew pew spells for basically the same damage. Doing dark damage instead of magic damage is nice but for the most part pursuers and the overhead greatsword seem no better than the (incredibly weak) homing soulmass and soul greatsword, despite costing way more FP.

I was pleasantly surprised at how viable sorcery is but there is really not much to do but shoot soul arrows. There's got to be over 100 weapons in the game, but not a huge variety in sorceries because almost all the interesting ones are bad. You don't get to most of your selection until halfway through the game, and then it's not really that much better because the soul arrow damage scales just fine and has a fraction of the FP cost. Almost every single spell was just copy pasted from previous games, and most of the few new ones are pointless, like the tickle cloud and tickle darts.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

For those w/o PS4s and who are tiring of Dark Souls III, Salt and Sanctuary is now out on Steam.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there a faster way to lower my hp besides dusk crown and then putting on avarice over and over again?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Stab yourself repeatedly with Bloodlust.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Genocyber posted:

For those w/o PS4s and who are tiring of Dark Souls III, Salt and Sanctuary is now out on Steam.

so, keep playing dark souls 3?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Salt and sanctuary is good

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

its bad

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Finally, I can die in peace

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Nah it's good.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
It looks bad

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

It looks bad

They saved you the time of meticulous face randomization and just made ALL the characters into horrifying abominations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

swamp waste posted:

Greataxe, and Yhorm's Great Machete which is basically a longer greataxe. Gundyr's Halberd hits hard and is loving long and has a cool weapon art. The Spiked Mace is apparently awesome for PvP if you buff it with Carthus Rouge since it combos into the weapon art which does huge damage and procs bleed, though I haven't tried it out personally. A Heavy Dark Sword somehow has 400AR and attacks like 3 times faster than all of the above :shepicide:

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
You can play around with sorceries more if you're not doing a pure sorcery build, but pure builds definitely want to stack damage (although people often do that anyways with magic in games). That said, it seems like pyromancy and faith in DS3 have a lot more room to play with. I'm not too broken up about it, since magic often gets tons of options in RPGs that martial builds don't, but it is a bummer. Especially given how much fun some of the utility spells can be.

Looking at the current AR calculator, it seems like even for my current dex/int build, I'd be better off with a refined ricard's rapier than a sharp one since it'd give me slightly more damage. Honestly, I might jump over to a quality build. I can still mainly play it to lean heav ily on the evasion and could still probably use a few pyromancies or items for bonus damage. Are there really any weapons that are better as heavy or sharp though?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

It looks bad

Yeah but it's good.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

Most importantly you have to wear that dumb crown again

At least the Crown's only a relatively low boost (10%). You may as well not be playing a Sorcerer if you aren't offhanding the Scholar's Candlestick (25%) all the time forever.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Watching the S&S trailer just reinforced the importance of professional voice acting to me.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a list of the better boss soul items to make? I've just been hanging on to all of the boss souls, aside from making Havel's ring and the Wolf Knight's Greatsword (I wish I was also able to get the Farron Greatsword, it looks cool/has a cool moveset, oh well, I'll get it in NG+ I guess).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

RabidWeasel posted:

A Heavy Dark Sword somehow has 400AR and attacks like 3 times faster than all of the above :shepicide:
I got a DS from the darkwraith guys outside the Abyss Watchers and now I'm afraid using it will spoil the larger strength weapons for me.

But maybe the butcher's knife has already done that, it's pretty great.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

null posted:

Does anyone have a list of the better boss soul items to make? I've just been hanging on to all of the boss souls, aside from making Havel's ring and the Wolf Knight's Greatsword (I wish I was also able to get the Farron Greatsword, it looks cool/has a cool moveset, oh well, I'll get it in NG+ I guess).

Vordt (Pontiff's Left Eye), Crystal Sage (Rapier, for farming purposes), ODK (Chaos Bed Vestiges if you're a Pyromancer), Dragonslayer Armour (Greatshield, but only if you're a Strength build and you want to beat Nameless King easily in NG+), Oceiros (White Dragon Breath, if you're PVPing as a Sorcerer), Nameless King (Swordspear, if you want to use it), Soul of Cinder (Sunlight Spear, if you're a Miracle-user). Everything else is either really niche or useless.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sindai posted:

I got a DS from the darkwraith guys outside the Abyss Watchers and now I'm afraid using it will spoil the larger strength weapons for me.

But maybe the butcher's knife has already done that, it's pretty great.

You can't pancake a silver knight with a darksword. But even the Great Machete can pancake a silver knight with a two handed R2 charged up.

I'd assume the larger ones have an easier time of it :v:

"Well I have 24 Strength and a +6 Great Machete. Let's see what this badboy does. A one *flattened knight*, a Two *flattened again* Oh he's still got a sliver of life left... Not anymore! Hey it's my first, and only, concord drop!"

Not even joking about actually getting a concord on my test run. So whenever I get around to beating this, I'm figuring replays would favor the faster greataxe type weapons. Though I'd probably gently caress up my build by wanting to also cast sweet miracles or pyromancy on the side, and still able to use a nice bow, within SL 80 :shepface:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 17, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I was thinking Rain World might be a good 2d Souls indie game thing based on some trailers I saw forever ago but I don't know where that's at or what stardate it is coming out
It is ugly as sin as well

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

null posted:

The Hollowslayer Greatsword has a great moveset. I guess it loses a bit by not being infusable or able to be enforced, but I care more about how fun the moves are than min/max bullshit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sector_corrector posted:

The Hollowslayer Greatsword has a great moveset. I guess it loses a bit by not being infusable or able to be enforced, but I care more about how fun the moves are than min/max bullshit.

It can be reinforced as a Titanite Scale weapon. The AR isn't awful for a quality build (516 AR at 40/40), although you could probably do better with something else.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Vermain posted:

Vordt (Pontiff's Left Eye), Crystal Sage (Rapier, for farming purposes), ODK (Chaos Bed Vestiges if you're a Pyromancer), Dragonslayer Armour (Greatshield, but only if you're a Strength build and you want to beat Nameless King easily in NG+), Oceiros (White Dragon Breath, if you're PVPing as a Sorcerer), Nameless King (Swordspear, if you want to use it), Soul of Cinder (Sunlight Spear, if you're a Miracle-user). Everything else is either really niche or useless.

Yhorm's Great Machete, both Prisoner's Chain and Grundyr or whatever's halberd are all top tier items and there's probably more.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vermain posted:

At least the Crown's only a relatively low boost (10%). You may as well not be playing a Sorcerer if you aren't offhanding the Scholar's Candlestick (25%) all the time forever.

Does that magic damage boost also apply to magic enchanted weapons? As in, a weapon buffed with darkmoon blade?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Yhorm's Great Machete, both Prisoner's Chain and Grundyr or whatever's halberd are all top tier items and there's probably more.

Prisoner's Chain honestly doesn't look great to me. You can get more-or-less the same effect with Ring of Favor. It's good on low level twinks, but you're better served with other rings. I've heard that some people like Gundyr's Halberd, but I always found Charge one of the easiest weapon arts to parry in PVP.

Internet Kraken posted:

Does that magic damage boost also apply to magic enchanted weapons? As in, a weapon buffed with darkmoon blade?

The Dusk Crown is specifically a +10% Magic damage boost, affecting Magic damage on weapons in the same way as the Magic Clutch Ring. The Scholar's Candlestick only applies to the damage of Sorceries.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Salt and Sanctuary is super ugly but it's definitely a Good Game. It plays more like a modern Castlevania but it has many of the mechanical trappings of Dark Souls. Estus, bonfires, souls, the stamina mechanic, how items are upgraded, all that poo poo is pretty much copied 1:1 under different names.

I never finished it though. I got hopelessly lost. Since it's a 2D game it has a lot less in the way of identifying where exactly you are in the world. The game desperately needs a map.

Just remember that it's :20bux: for a reason. It's a two-man team, not a big budget studio. It's a little rough around the edges.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

Thanks, this is helpful. Oh yeah, I made the Crystal Sage Rapier, I forgot about that.

sector_corrector posted:

Cool, I'll have to check it out, thanks.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Harrow posted:

I want the buff the mace-wielding Cathedral Knights do, that lets them lay down delayed holy explosions with their swings.

I was really disappointed that there was no way to access that trick. It's cool.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Walrus Pete posted:

I really like the brigand twindaggers (in theory). How do I make them least bad? Hollow infusion + spending all my souls on carthus rouge seems like my best bet, since I hear bleed infusion is trash.

They'll be completely outclassed by the warden twinblades. I want to like them too, but the twindaggers are just absolute. Maybe if they had a considerable AR boost and/or you could actually attack out of a quickstep without an awkward delay that just leaves you eating an attack instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I seem to be the only person who likes the Profaned Greatsword but I have no idea why. It has very respectable AR, the R2 thrust is loving brutal with Leo ring, and the weapon art is strictly better than the Zweihander because it's ON FIRE. I guess UGSs in general are not top tier at the moment, but it's far from useless.

Vermain posted:

Prisoner's Chain honestly doesn't look great to me. You can get more-or-less the same effect with Ring of Favor. It's good on low level twinks, but you're better served with other rings. I've heard that some people like Gundyr's Halberd, but I always found Charge one of the easiest weapon arts to parry in PVP.Sorceries.

Ring of Favor +0 is more like ~6 levels worth of stats at the kinda of values you'd normally have compared to the Chain's 15. The +2 is more or less the same without drawback sure, but of course by then you're in NG++. I guess it depends on stuff like how much PvP, you can deal with the extra damage in PvE.

hampig fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 18, 2016