Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StoryTime posted:

Bad news. All the match 3 games that have any sort of progression and depth to them are F2P nowdays, and most are riddled with disgustingly predatory microtransactions. Gems of War is the most playable without paying money, if you can deal with never ever having anything leveled up to full potential.

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is buy once and play. It's not match 3, but the original puzzle they have is really good. It has a bunch of story divided into 5 campaigns, and light progression. If you're up for learning a new puzzle, I'd go with that one. You will have to figure out the puzzle well though, the game is quite challenging at spots.

I'm a-ok with learning a new puzzle. I don't insist on it being match-3, I just want a similar "RPG/dungeon crawl with competitive puzzle solving as the challenge resolution mechanic and the possibility of eventually completely blowing the lid off the power curve" experience.

It also doesn't have to be recent! I basically haven't played anything in the genre since the original Puzzle Quest until Puzzle Kingdoms just now. So I have -- I hope -- nine years of innovation and improvement in the genre to catch up on.

quote:

If you have a 3DS, Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition is Puzzle & Dragons with the mictrotransaction hell surgically removed. It's quite good, if you can deal with a lukewarm JRPG story.

No 3DS, I'm afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

ToxicFrog posted:

Nulled: Coin Crypt

This sounds a lot better than it is, and the fact that the combat is realtime doesn't help.

The combat actually started off as turn based but the dev got a ton of feedback saying people liked the realtime version he made back when it was being prototyped.

I personally liked the turn based version better mostly because I'm garbage at the realtime one :V

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Super Win The Game (100%) -
Excellent exploration platformer. Very barebones story, but the levels are well made and there's quite a bit of collection to be done. Difficulty's challenging, but doesn't really cross over into the cheap and unfair area, like a lot of these retro games do. A+, would play again. Check out the You Must Win The Game, since it's free.

The Fall (100%)
Nice athmospheric action-explorer. Very short, but apparently a second part will be out eventually. One achievement failed to unlock, but I fulfilled the requirements, so gently caress it, this is 100% done.

Girls Like Robots
A block placement puzzler where each set of levels has a gimmick. These are quite varied so the game is much less repetetive than I would have thought. Definitely worth a shot if you like puzzle games.

Human Resource Machine
It's assembly programming. If you like puzzles based around assembly programming, this is a good time killer for you. If you liked this game and don't know what assembly programming is, consider getting into comp-sci.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
BEATEN: Escape Goat. That was fast. 100%ed the main game in just under 3 hours, and that unlocks the "All Intensive Purposes" levels, which are basically Hell Temple.

The game itself is mostly light platforming with a cute team-up mechanic; you have a mouse friend that can get places you can't, and some levels let you teleport between one another. Basic puzzle platformer, but I had fun with it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: FEAR 2 - So I've now completed the FEAR trilogy against the warnings of people. I gots opinions!!! The first FEAR, in my opinion, is unrefined but excellent for its weapons and slo-mo. The "spooky" stuff has always just been very campy theater to me. The general sentiment of the FEAR series is "it gets more generic and less spooky!" Well the first game was never spooky and the majority of the campaign was spent in loving warehouses. That brings us to the next two games. FEAR 2 is a step down from the first, not because of atmosphere, but simply because the weapons don't feel anywhere near as good. I dont know if it's because this is the one game Day 1 Studios was not involved in, but Monolith had just come off Condemned 2 which, let's just say it was not as good as the first. So their reputation as far as I'm concerned is not THAT sterling. The shotgun, specifically, is very underwhelming, which is the worst crime the series can make IMO. They give you way too much slo-mo and then balance enemy placement around that. In the end it's still an okay game but could have been better.

BEATEN: FEAR 3 - NOW WE'RE TALKIN! Fear 3 kicks rear end. The weaps feel great, the game looks good, the knockback is nice, the nailgun is sweet. The levels are nice and varied taking you to various locations from prison to slums to a costco-style superstore to suburbs to sewers to an airport/food court. So you're not just running through a bunch of office buildings and warehouses. I didnt mention it in the FEAR 2 review but theres some content thats not spooky or scary, it's just weird and uncool, that ties into the story of this game but. Honestly you shouldn't really think too much about the plot and just enjoy the game itself because it's fun.

BEATEN: ARES - Imagine a mediocre modern Mega Man -- no, not Mighty no 9. I'm saying imagine a modern Mega Man but it doesn't get what makes Mega Man games great -- no, not Mighty no 9!! The one I'm talking about has a very generic art style and the shooting feels wrong and.... okay I guess ARES pretty much is Mighty No 9. It's only an hour long though so I beat it.

BEATEN: Zombie Shooter - I sorted games by completion time on Howlongtobeat and chose this one. Honestly it's pretty fun, it's ugly as gently caress and looks like a mid-90s isometric game but it's a fun little brainless shoot-everything game.

BEATEN: Qbeh-1 - Awesome chill puzzle game where you find various colored blocks that have different properties and attach them to certain tiles on the wall/ceilings and to each other to progress. red blocks exist just to jump on top, blue blocks power devices, purple blocks alter gravity and green blocks become moving platforms. A good game to play while listening to podcasts and relaxing.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Puzzler World: Over a thousand newspaper puzzles. Realistically I was never going to play all of them so I decided 'beaten' in this case means getting all the achievements, which require you to solve 10 puzzles of each type for a total of 140. I did that and more, and made sure to get a range of difficulty levels in all puzzles (since everything is available to play from the start). That said even the hard puzzles are fairly easy really. It's an all right timewaster but I can't see myself going back. Also I'm so sick of Sudoko.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet: It's a very well-made Metroidvania, and technically I have no complaints. The gameplay is solid, it runs well, it looks lovely. There is one mechanic that spoils it a bit and that's rocket-guiding, which is frustrating and unfun. But that's the exception. The problem for me is that the game just feels lifeless and barren. My favorite games of this type make you want to explore a world and discover things. They give you a reason to backtrack with new abilities that isn't just unlocking concept art in the menu, be it a piece of story, a character, a pretty new location, etc. ITSP just doesn't have a sense of place. It's just a bunch of pretty, sterile rooms that are connected to each other for some reason. I felt like I was going through the motions playing it. Ultimately it left me bored and disappointed even if the gameplay is fun.

Droid Assault: Finally the last Puppygames game is out of my backlog. There is a design problem here for me in that the game expects you to play slowly and deliberately, but I feel it'd be a lot more fun to run and gun, then switch to a new droid when you're about to die. Keeping a squad alive is more trouble than it's worth and once you invest upgrades in one droid you can't afford to switch anyway, so you're stuck with it. It only really becomes truly fun in the very last few stages when you have a fully upgraded high-level droid. I think I just don't like Puppygames' stuff, honestly.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - Single Player: I would say I'm surprised at how completely loving garbage this is but I'm not, since it's the half-baked singleplayer portion of a multiplayer game included only to appease... someone, I guess? What is even the point of this. It's full of bugs, your AI squadmates are useless and run around like headless chickens, difficulty spikes unexpectedly at certain points, some missions are only beatable through sheer luck and the basic gameplay is incredibly repetitive. I can see how the multiplayer might be fun, for sure, but the singleplayer with bots is atrocious. I probably should never have bothered starting it, let alone beating it. I'm an idiot. One silver lining - the narrator reads his lines with great gusto and it's very entertaining (for a while).

Legend of Fae: A match 3-combat-with-story thing, I guess like Puzzle Quest but I have never played that one. This is pretty fun. I quite like the art style and character designs, they're suitably fairytale-ish. It's a bit long, though, and gets quite repetitive by the end. The final boss represents an enormous difficulty spike; it goes from 'pretty easy with an occasional challenge' to 'cruel, brutal punishment'. I only beat it after perusing the dev forums and finding insights into the mechanics of the fight, before that I wasn't even making a dent in that HP bar before getting crushed. Can't say how it compares to others in the genre cause I haven't played any but overall I did enjoy this game.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 8, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

three more, formerly from the blacklist!

BEATEN: Syder Arcade - side-scrolling shmup where you can face left or right, Defender-style. short and innocuous

BEATEN: Feeding Frenzy 2 - Popcap game about fish eating other fish. it's a harmless Popcap game

BEATEN: Zombie Shooter 2 - the second game doesnt do a whole lot differently from the first and actually recycles music too, but I did get some dope weapons near the end that obliterated everything

on to new adventures

ADDED: Star Wars Republic Commando, Battlefront II, Humble Eye Candy Bundle (Mushroom 11, Mini Metro, Human Resource Machine, A Boy and His Blob, Towerfall Ascension)

The next game I beat will be #500 on steam

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
For anyone in this thread who feels like they're just posting to themselves, I want you to know I'm using this as a recommendation thread.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MrSlam posted:

For anyone in this thread who feels like they're just posting to themselves, I want you to know I'm using this as a recommendation thread.

Same. If I ever beat a game I'll let you guys know :smith:

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Thirded :smith:

Wait, actually, I beat a game for once!

BEATEN: Fran Bow Finally got a chance to play this and I really loved it. It manages to be both cheesy and scary, cartoony and serious. Fran's acceptance of all the weird stuff keeps it from getting too bad. Although probably none of us have had our families murdered by demons, if you know depression, illness, grief, there is stuff to relate to. Fran is just a little girl far from home in a scary place that just wants her cat and her aunt so she can feel safe again. Also the art direction & animation is great! I thought it looked eh at first but it's very Wonderland-ish, Tenniel x Burton type stuff. It is a horror game but just about the right amount of scary! The ending is deliberately ambiguous (dev has mentioned maybe writing a book/teasing a sequel) but I didn't really mind that. It's a very personal project by just two people but a great adventure.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Beat: Warlock: Master of the Arcane - Surprised at how much I ended up liking this one. Beat a full single player map twice via conquest, the other victory routes seemed a lot less practical. Good overall fantasy-themed strategy game. The different races are decently different enough, though your initial selection is a little less relevant once you start capturing other race's cities. The interaction between terrain and resources is good, but oftentimes you'll be in a big section of desert, barren or fertile territory with little else to choose from. Gold bonus squares seem pretty scarce, as well. The resistance mechanics were a bit of an annoyance, especially when dealing with the undead--many undead units end up in a stalemate with each other due to their strong resistance to missiles and immunity to death magic. The AI (on Normal) is kind of a pushover, since it'll expand relatively slowly and flood the board with cheap, but ineffective units. The Armageddon game mode seemed cool until I actually started playing it: the first wave of attackers chews up most units available at that stage, and if they knock over a city things start to snowball. Meanwhile your useful terrain squares are getting continually corrupted or burnt. Anyway, the core gameplay is solid. I may go back for an AI skirmish from time to time.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I think i may have just found my new home, Bought 3 games last weekend and one i cant play till august....

My last steamcalc

theresajayne: $1228 ($373) | Level: 7 (789/800) | Badges: 3 | Games played/owned: 57/88 (64.8%) | Time spent: 86d 10h | The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot: 36d 19h 59m | Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist: 7d 22h 23m | Saints Row IV: 4d 13h 27m | Portal 2: 3d 22h 31m | The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: 3d 21h 8m

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 12, 2016

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

dhamster posted:

Beat: Warlock: Master of the Arcane - Surprised at how much I ended up liking this one. Beat a full single player map twice via conquest, the other victory routes seemed a lot less practical. Good overall fantasy-themed strategy game. The different races are decently different enough, though your initial selection is a little less relevant once you start capturing other race's cities. The interaction between terrain and resources is good, but oftentimes you'll be in a big section of desert, barren or fertile territory with little else to choose from. Gold bonus squares seem pretty scarce, as well. The resistance mechanics were a bit of an annoyance, especially when dealing with the undead--many undead units end up in a stalemate with each other due to their strong resistance to missiles and immunity to death magic. The AI (on Normal) is kind of a pushover, since it'll expand relatively slowly and flood the board with cheap, but ineffective units. The Armageddon game mode seemed cool until I actually started playing it: the first wave of attackers chews up most units available at that stage, and if they knock over a city things start to snowball. Meanwhile your useful terrain squares are getting continually corrupted or burnt. Anyway, the core gameplay is solid. I may go back for an AI skirmish from time to time.

I think I got this in a bundle or a sale or something and might've written it off for being too simple, or basic or something? I was probably wrong and I think I'm gonna try it sometime soon.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I recently bought a simple game called Mini Metro

Its relaxing at first but quickly gets frantic.

a must buy if you like mindless tasks to do

http://store.steampowered.com/app/287980/

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Thank you Fart of Presto for the copy of Puzzle Quest 2! This is exactly what I was looking for. :)

Not that I'm actually doing much gaming right now. Everyone's sick, and in years past that would have meant entire days playing games, but these days it means entire days keeping the toddler from exploding (by letting him explode things in KSP).

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Granbar posted:

I think I got this in a bundle or a sale or something and might've written it off for being too simple, or basic or something? I was probably wrong and I think I'm gonna try it sometime soon.

You might have gotten it for free with a promotion they did last year. At least, that's how I got it.

This guide isn't perfect, but it helped me get started:

http://www.altergamer.com/warlock-master-of-the-arcane-starter-guide/

My main gripe is that a full game takes about 8 hours to finish. Though that didn't stop me from playing it twice..

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

MrSlam posted:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This actually means a lot to me. Thanks goons. :unsmith:

COMPLETED: Divinity: Dragon Commander. A weird mix of genres. The turn-based strategy part and the bit where you make decisions on social issues work fine, but the core RTS gameplay is extremely repetitive. Autoresolving battles generally produces very poor results, so to play anywhere near optimally you pretty much have to fight most of your battles yourself, in the RTS mode. And that part really does get old after a while. Having said that, it's still good, and it's the only Divinity game I might play again someday. The characters are very well-written, especially the princesses, and I really want to see the undead princess plotline.

COMPLETED: The Magic Circle. A first-person puzzler with some fantastic writing, this tells the story of a fictional game that's been in development for many years with no end in sight. I don't want to say too much, as you should go into this knowing as little as possible about it; however, I will say that if the voice actors and writers had been even a hair less competent, it could have easily come across as unbelievably pretentious. They pulled off a triumph here, and you really should play this. Just don't expect too much challenge from the actual gameplay.

COMPLETED: King Arthur: Fallen Champions. The gameplay consists of two parts: You go through a short text adventure, then you fight a small Total War-style RTS battle. The genre it has most in common with, though, is a puzzle game. In the RTS portion, you are always outnumbered, without fail, so the game becomes "How do I complete my objectives without being overrun by the enemy's numbers?" I quite liked the puzzle aspect, so yeah. Recommended.

PLAYED: Impire. A Dungeon Keeper clone, this one was brought down by two main factors. The characters constantly spout painfully unfunny jokes, and the interface is a real pain to use. I uninstalled after a few hours, but I might go back someday.

COMPLETED: Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist. A short half-hour walking simulator, this one felt like a cheap knockoff of The Stanley Parable. From playing this game and The Beginner's Guide, we can draw two conclusions: 1) William Pugh and Davey Wreden are far better together than seperate, and 2) Wreden is easily the more talented of the two.

COMPLETED (again): Civilization III. I installed this to play an hour or two for nostalgia's sake, and then it mysteriously ate 60 hours of my life. Civ III is an hour devouring monster, even after it's been outdone by much better sequels. Highly recommended. One word of warning though: it doesn't play nice with modern computers, and I encountered a bunch of glitches that weren't there 10 years ago. It feels a bit like Last Chance to See: install it now, it'll be unplayable in 5 years.

PLAYED: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy. For all this game's reputation for insanity, what I got when I played was a boring FPS-RPG that refused to explain its mechanics in any way. I didn't play long before uninstalling.

Next up: Total War: Rome I + both expansions. I'm in the mood to build an empire.

dhamster posted:

The Armageddon game mode seemed cool until I actually started playing it: the first wave of attackers chews up most units available at that stage, and if they knock over a city things start to snowball. Meanwhile your useful terrain squares are getting continually corrupted or burnt.
Really? I thought Armageddon was the best mode, as the Dremer invasion was the only real threat I ever faced. The other AI Great Mages are pushovers.

One final note: anyone know what's happened to steamcompletionist.net? It's been down for days.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Just a couple games this time but: I've passed 500 games beaten on steam whooooo

BEATEN: Echoes of Aetheria - Probably one of the top american-made JRPGs on Steam, IN SPITE OF being made in RPG Maker. It's by the same dev as Skyborn which was itself a very competent RPG Maker game, so no big surprise. To be fair, it only really feels like RPGMaker in the general walking around and talking, but the actual game mechanics are not some half-assed garbage. The combat is a mix of Suikoden and Grandia, with nicely detailed isometric character animations, grid positioning, a command line, staggering, a pool of energy the whole team uses, tons of upgradable skills and unlockable (over time) skill slots, as well as PASSIVE skill slots. Weapon and armor crafting. No random battles. No overworld (just a 'campaign map' where you can either advance the story, replay certain areas, or visit little chill-out areas with shops to regroup/prepare). It's all very intelligently designed.

BEATEN: Star Wars Republic Commando - OG Xbox FPS with Ghost Recon-style squadron commanding, set in the Clone Wars, so.. it's not the greatest game or greatest story, but it was enjoyable enough. The weapons of course feel like poo poo because they're Star Wars weapons and all go PEW PEW PEW except for a rare shotgun weapon you can get off of certain enemies. Sometimes wookies help you. I dunno! It's a game. The 501st game was not going to be anything special!!

PROGRESS UPDATE:
501 of 804 games beaten (62.3%)
140 games blacklisted (17.4%)
Games remaining: 163

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Beat: Guacamelee: Gold Edition - Enjoyable platformer/beat-em-up. Art is clean and keeps with a really nice, consistent style. The basic combat is pretty fun and they continually try to mix things up by introducing new twists. The special moves mostly feel fun to use, and I like the grappling for the most part. The game isn't too difficult overall but there are some legitimately challenging battles and platforming segments. Lots of optional nooks and crannies to explore, as well. The uppercut and dash punch are fun to use and are useful platforming tools, but the body slam and headbutt are a little awkward in comparison.

EightDeer posted:

Really? I thought Armageddon was the best mode, as the Dremer invasion was the only real threat I ever faced. The other AI Great Mages are pushovers.

Well, I gave it another try for a few hours but it just wasn't for me. I didn't like the random invasion locations much. The boss encounters at the anchors used some interesting mechanics, but their huge HP totals made them kind of tedious. Fighting the dremer is difficult, but not a lot of fun: the warriors don't hit that hard but can soak a lot of punishment, and their throwers and mages hit like a truck. Maybe I'd like it more if they were a little weaker individually, but more numerous.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Games beaten in 2016: 47 total / 37 steam games.

Beaten: Mad Max It didnt do anything really new or different, but the driving parts were fun and it was a pretty competent open world action game with batman hand-to-hand combat.

Beaten: Grim Dawn The best diablo game since diablo.

Playing: Infinifactory The easiest way to feel like a total idiot and a then a total genius. Second section. 5 hours in (holy crap).

Playing: Volume It is The Marvelous Miss Take basically, only with shorter levels and a different (but cool) art style. Also a good amount of humor. My biggest complaint is the noise they play when you sound the alarm scares the poo poo out of me every time.

Playing: Hell Yeah! An over-the-top sidescroller that feels a lot like something on Newgrounds website that sometimes feels like it is trying a bit too hard. Still, it is fun and Ill probably play this one through this week.

strategery fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 16, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

steam anonymous eye candy bundle edition

BEATEN: Human Resource Machine - this one I needed a little help with on a few levels, so I looked up some solutions. I got through the majority of the game but some puzzles just require a different type of thinking than I can do as a non-programmer. It's still a cool game IMO, but a hint system would have been nice.

BEATEN: Mushroom 11 - Excellent puzzle game where you control a constantly-reforming blob that you slice away at in order to fit into nooks and crannies, climb up hills, power devices, fight bosses, etc. The game has a great difficulty curve but it is pretty short (3 hours for me).

BEATEN: Towerfall Ascension - This game does have a solo mode called Quest that is kind of like Super Crate Box or Bubble Bobble. You fend off various waves of enemies either by shooting them with arrows or jumping on their heads. Some enemies have an auto-attack if you get near them or try attacking them, forcing you to keep your distance and wait for them to get stunned/dizzy. Some enemies can catch your arrows! gently caress!! The solo campaign largely exists to get you used to the arenas for when you play multiplayer, but the game has no online functionality, so gently caress that.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Quest For Glory II posted:

BEATEN: Towerfall Ascension - This game does have a solo mode called Quest that is kind of like Super Crate Box or Bubble Bobble. You fend off various waves of enemies either by shooting them with arrows or jumping on their heads. Some enemies have an auto-attack if you get near them or try attacking them, forcing you to keep your distance and wait for them to get stunned/dizzy. Some enemies can catch your arrows! gently caress!! The solo campaign largely exists to get you used to the arenas for when you play multiplayer, but the game has no online functionality, so gently caress that.

The quest mode is long and fulfilling with boss fights. You can do Quest mode 2 player, so invite a real friend over to your house because there is friendly fire that makes the game hectic and hilarious.

3 and 4 player arena battles rock as well, but again: if it wasn't working for you get a 2nd player with you in real life.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's probably longer if you have the dark world expansion but base campaign is just the 10 stages and 4 hidden ones, and 2 of the hidden ones require unlocking through multiplayer play so I'm not bothering with those

I liked it, it was just short is all. I probably could do hardcore mode but it was satisfying enough of a challenge in normal mode for me.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Ironclad Tactics: I have conflicted feelings about this game. I really like the premise and the gameplay is for the most part solid. But it also gets very frustrating sometimes if you're dealt the wrong cards at the wrong time. I also found the deck builder had some little annoyances to it, like how filtering would reset when you exit, making you have to re-filter again if you need to try a new deck for the same mission. It's only a couple of clicks but it just added unnecessary tedium. I beat the main campaign and reached the boss of the first DLC but couldn't beat it. Didn't feel like re-doing missions for extra cards or whatnot so I decided it counts as beaten anyway since DLC is just bonus stuff, really. I think I'm bad at deckbuilding, at least in this game, since I often felt like I had no idea what I was doing. For some reason I had trouble visualizing how the cards should come together to form a suitable strategy for my current level. The art and music are fabulous, in any case, and there's a lot of content in the game if it clicks with you.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War: The base campaign. I'm historically crap at RTS games so I always play them on the easiest or second-easiest difficulty. I did that in this case as well, which put me on something called 'Normal'. Later I found out that all enemies have 50% health on Normal which is kind of weird to me; I don't know what the logic was behind the naming, why not just call it Easy? In any case I didn't have any trouble with the campaign at all, it was really, really easy even for me. I could tell some levels, like the final one, were probably much harder and more intense on a proper difficulty but on Normal they felt underwhelming and sad, and I breezed through them (mostly by turtling and only rolling out once I had two large armies with maxed out upgrades). My main gripe with the game is that you can't use WASD for moving the camera, it's locked to the arrow keys. I just shifted my keyboard to the left a bit, but still annoying. I also found it odd there were no sea or air units, to be honest.

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy: This was just fantastic, I loved it. It has a great structure - you're a student, go do these missions on random planets. I feel like that probably gave the designers a lot of freedom in building the stories and levels for each mission. The tram level was a favorite of mine, but there were so many good ones, and a good variety. The story missions actually paled in comparison, especially the last one which turned into kind of a slog very quickly. The lightsaber combat was kind of weird but worked okay enough I suppose. It was a lot of random flailing and jumping about acrobatically, but it looked so comical and half the time we would miss each other anyway. I didn't bother with most of the acrobatic moves like jumping off walls backwards and all that, I just couldn't find a use for them at all. It was also a shame that so many of the force user enemies were immune to force powers or could break them easily. But despite this I am comfortable saying this game owns hard.

It makes me want to retry Dark Forces 2 and Jedi Outcast, both of which I gave up on a few years back. The original Dark Force I played a lot of and beat in the 90s but when I tried it again a few years ago I ended up quitting on level 3 after getting lost in those loving sewers. Shame cause I remember there being some awesome levels later on in the game.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 20, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Steam Anonymous AMERICA edition

BEATEN: Call of Duty Black Ops - a dopey campy fun ride through the conspiratorial cold war. visually very stark and lifeless but the story is silly

BEATEN: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 - I played modern warfare like 8-9 years ago so I dont remember much about it but i guess it wasn't super necessary to play the next two because they recap poo poo. idgaf about soap (his name should be soup) or price or ghost or apple or pretzel or any of these characters. the best level has you take over a burger king. the end of the game is nonsense and runs on too long

BEATEN: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - better setpieces than MW2, i like the airplane level where you get flung into zero-G, also the tank crushing cars in the parking garage, the sandstorm, etc. the story is even less interesting this time and at some point price just gets back in command of a US task force despite being a wanted fugitive??

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
^^^ What's up CoD:MW3 buddy :):respek::)

Finished: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
It's CoD single player, which means massive and very pretty set pieces, a story that makes absolutely no sense and a guy who yells at you for not following him all the time.

Nulled: Mafia
I honestly didn't know this was an open world game until now, which makes me pretty sad, because I'm sure I would have looked past the flaws back then and enjoyed it. Now, no so much.
Graphics are of course dated, but we are not talking Quake level of polygon numbers, so that didn't bother me. But the driving. Oh god, the driving. And the acting and the shooting and the ...
It's simply just too rough these days for me to invest time in it. I'll also give Mafia II a go before III arrives, and I have a bit higher hope for that one.

Finished: Pixel Puzzles 2: Anime
This should be an instant goon favourite, simply because of the anime pictures.
I have enjoyed the other Pixel Puzzle games, except for the zombie one due to its mini-game, and this was fine too, except for one tiny thing: You couldn't mute that drat pixie fairy thing that kept "encouraging" you. Ugh.

Currently playing Dragon's Dogma, which was really fine up until I had to spend time designing a pawn. While it's great that you have all these possibilities, god dammit, just give me some pre-mades to choose from. I don't give a poo poo about playing dress-up doll and trying to min-max my party, so at least let me pick 3 pawns that will be average but also cover whatever skills I need to continue.
Double Ugh.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Completed: Suikoden (PSP game)

It turns out that Suikoden, like most JRPGs, gets a lot better once you enable cheat codes. Turning on Infinite Money once you recruit the gambler doesn't really affect the balance of the game, since it's trivial to max out your wallet by playing against him, but it does save you from having to go back and talk to him after each weapon upgrade (since maxing out a character's weapon takes about 2/3rds of the maximum money you can carry); and having No Random Encounters on a quick toggle means that dungeons get a lot less tedious, since in most cases you'll reach level equilibrium (where you are one-shotting every encounter and getting almost no XP for it) long before you actually clear the dungeon.

With those tweaks out of the way, it holds up surprisingly well. It's hardly a must-play, but it's alright, and it's nice to have a JRPG where the stakes are not ~the fate of the entire world~. Or rather, they are, per Leknaat's warnings about the Rune of the Gate, but that's someone else's problem; the immortal mages are polite enough to have their epic astral duel for the fate of the world offscreen while you deal with the business of overthrowing an oppressive and corrupt government in violent revolution -- and you probably wouldn't even know it was happening if not for the fact that Leknaat wants the revolution to succeed so that Windy is no longer protected by the Empire. This is something you don't see enough of.

Having 108 recruitable characters works a lot better here than it does in, say, Chrono Cross, because the characters are useful for things other than sticking in your party for the next dungeon dive. Many of them provide useful castle services, or power boosts or special abilities you can use in the army battles, and even the ones that don't will wander around the castle and can be talked with, and make the whole thing feel a bit more lived-in.

My biggest complaint is hardly unique to Suikoden: the dungeons are about twice as long as they should be and random encounters are a garbage-filled dumpster fire of a mechanic. Apart from that, I just wish there was more focus on the grand strategy and political aspects of the struggle and less on the dungeon diving. Perhaps I should be playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms instead?

Now Playing: still mostly Kerbal Space Program on the PC, with a bit of Atelier Rorona Plus. No idea what's up next on the PSP. FF Tactics Advance, maybe, or Bahamut Lagoon.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Quest For Glory II posted:

BEATEN: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 - I played modern warfare like 8-9 years ago so I dont remember much about it but i guess it wasn't super necessary to play the next two because they recap poo poo. idgaf about soap (his name should be soup) or price or ghost or apple or pretzel or any of these characters. the best level has you take over a burger king. the end of the game is nonsense and runs on too long

The Price reveal was actually really cool in MW2 if you had just come off MW1, since it looks like he dies at the end of 1. And he was far and away the best character in an already good game.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

BEATEN: Dragon Age Inquisition + All DLC. Phew this was a long game especially because I wanted to sample a lot of the side content. Took me the good part of a month. With the rest of the series still fresh in my mind I have to say this was probably actually my least favorite of the three overall, but I still enjoyed it a lot. I really liked what they did with the combat (other than the mysterious lack of any heal spells whatsoever) and the story and characters were detailed and engaging in typical Bioware fashion. But honestly my favorite parts of the game were being down in the Deep Roads knee-deep in Darkspawn with like, one potion left. THAT'S what I'm talking about. Oldschool dungeon crawling. :black101:

I'm still in the mood for CRPGs so I think I might move on to Pillars of Eternity next.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

BEATEN: Wolfenstien: The Old Blood. This came free with my DOOM pre-order. I skipped over this one on release since I really didn't want a prequel to Wolfenstien: The New Order, I wanted a sequel since that game ended on a cliff-hanger. Once I got past the initial obnoxious forced stealth section, it was the same fun retrofuture Nazi killing goodness that was in TNO.

BEATEN: DOOM (2016). Beaten the campaign, going back to replay levels to find all the secrets and collectibles I missed the first time around. Good god, this game loving rocks. It's old school as hell and I love it. This is how you correctly do a reboot of a classic FPS. So jarring to be playing a modern FPS that lets you carry all the guns, eat medkits for health, navigate maze-like levels, hunt down keycards, and fight an array of well-designed enemies and not have anyone one of them be just a dude with a hitscan weapon. And you move SO loving FAST. So yeah, DOOM owns. RIP AND TEAR!!! :black101:

NULLED: Test Drive Unlimited 2. Really wanted to keep playing this game since the first one was good but between the bad car handling and the constant crashes I've had to null. GTA Online does everything this game does and much more. The cars in GTA may be parodies of actual cars, but they at least TURN when I ask them to.

NULLED: Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012. It's supposed to be a spritual sequel to Burnout: Paradise City and I got it for free thanks to Origin's "On the House" feature. One again, bad car handling ruins a potentially good racing game. I also hated having to outrun the cops all the time, and the contast slow motion car crashes got old quick too. Paradise City is still the better game in this case.

NULLED: Shift 1&2: Since Forza 6 on PC is a joke at the moment. I've tried to revisit EA's answer to Microsoft's racing series. Guess what? Bad car handling. Either I need to invest in a wheel or just stop playing racing games made by EA. :v:

NULLED: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010): Again, I hate having to outrun the police in racing games. Plus, it's an EA racing game and that entails bad car handling as well. EA needs to learn to that cars are supposed to turn when you steer the wheel, not do this weird understeer into an unwieldy drift thing.

Kinda burnt out playing all these newfangled modern games and being disappointed at EA and Atari for making bad racing games, I feel like I need to play some DOS era CRPG, like Dark Sun: Shattered Lands.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project: This IP really does fees like a relic of bygone days - the aesthetics, presentation, one-liners, etc. The gameplay and level design, however, are actually serviceable, other than it being too easy on Normal. And the bosses are complete pushovers and can mostly be killed by standing in place and unloading ammo into their face. I don't really have much else to say about this game, it is what it is. I did chuckle when the credits advised me to look out for Duke Nukem Forever next. I'll be sure to do that!

Hacker Evolution Duality: Awful, and its awfulness manifests in several key ways:

1. The moment-to-moment gameplay is boring and tedious. Some of the things you do when hacking include moving sliders to the correct position as if you're adjusting values in Photoshop, and clicking 63 scrambled numbered squares in reverse order to unlock a key encryption. Oh and clicking 24 scrambled numbered squares in reverse order to bypass retinal security, because using this incredibly unfun mechanic once wasn't enough. You also spend a lot of time waiting for cooldowns to reset and for actions to complete.

2. The solution for each level is linear and requires you to fail a number of times first before you can succeed. You might have clicked the wrong button in a server and had your trace level increase by 10%, which, in a level that requires you to stay under 15%, might instantly mean a game over - but you'll remember this for next time. Since AI servers constantly whittle down your health, and the only way to regain health is to spend money on upgrades, you might spend it only to find out later that you shouldn't have - as money is finite per level and turns out it was required later for something else. Etc. etc.

3. All of this is compounded by your being under constant time pressure. Some levels have a time limit, but even when they don't you're under pressure from the AI servers bombarding you (since you can't spend the very finite money to regain health you have to beat the level before you die), and you're under pressure from hacked servers reverting to unhacked after a while (which lowers your own hacking 'strength' which means you might not be able to hack into a needed server). This means a single error can cost you the win, since any hesitation could mean the AI's had time to unleash another attack and the margins are so thin that it could well be the one that kills you.

So this game requires near-perfect, linear play, which requires failing a level multiple times first, which requires you to redo incredibly boring tasks over and over again. Avoid.

On the plus side, my backlog is down to measly 50! :dance: Too bad a huge number of those are like 50+ hour games.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 30, 2016

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
If you remember how good Dungeon Keeper 2 was,

War For the Overworld is a great remake of the old game. and is on offer this weekend

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
HAD MY FILL: Geometry Dash. I've played as much of this as I expect to, now. It's a mobile game that transitions very well to the PC, but it's nevertheless basically BIT.TRIP Runner at Super Meat Boy speeds and sadism levels. I cleared all the initial levels up through "Very Hard", and did so with no checkpoints. Bizarrely, turning checkpoints on turns off the soundtrack which actually makes it much harder and also worse practice. I just ate the "no, you have to survive for three minutes of Hell" mode straight, and saved the practice mode for when I was attempting to locate the paths to collectibles I'd missed.

BEATEN: Ocarina of Time 3D. My first ocarina-related Zelda victory of any kind. Playing this right after Dark Souls II was incredibly trippy. The controls are just close enough that I kept getting befuddled by my own reflexes in highly precise fights. Link being left-handed threw me to a hilarious degree.

But then Ganon went down almost exactly like the goddamned Taurus Demon. :darksouls: Never even nocked a Light Arrow on him.

IN PROGRESS: An Untitled Story. Freeware Metroidvania game. Brutally unfair and has a bit of the feel of the kitchen sink about it. I think at this point I'm still playing it out of stubbornness more than anything else.

ON DECK: Bionic Dues. I've kind of been playing an alphabet this year, and I'm missing B. I'm not feeling it, so far, though, it's a somewhat clumsy roguelike with a Doom Clock at the strategic level. If this falls through I'll swap it out for Banner Saga.

ON DECK: Valiant Hearts. I'm also missing V. I heard this was good.

ON DECK: Sorcery! Android/Steam implementation of some old gamebooks I used to have. Not part of the alphabet, or really the backlog, since I totally read these books as a kid. Definitely a bit of a nostalgia kick once the Shamutanti Hills drifted up, though! :3

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

FINISHED - Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number: I can see why a lot people prefer the original, but at the same time I had a blast playing it. I want to make it clear: I loved it. I loved the story, I loved the new features, and I didn't mind that it was just an expansion on the original, but I can understand why people don't enjoy it. I think the issues can be broken down like this:

1. Unfair Level Design: Very large levels usually with a guy wielding a shotgun just out of sight. It teaches you to be very cautious, sticking to walls and ducking around corners. Also the frustration is high when you clear out all but one enemy and they cheapshot you, or you get a 10+ Combo Kill and get cheapshotted by a dog and you have to do it all over again.

2. Glitchy Programming: I haven't encountered too much of this but I've heard about it. Some enemies start spinning around in an endless dance of death, dogs get stuck in doorways, you spawn outside the level in the Negative Zone, etc.

3. More of the Same: This was one of those DLCs that blossomed into a full fledged game, so it ends up only changing a teeny bit to the gameplay. The new playstyles and restrictions are fun, but there's not a lot of levels to play around with them on (a lot of levels overall but only a handful of levels with varying playstyles). Enemy soldiers still walk around in their little patrols, turning a blind eye to their comrades right next to them who've just suffered a face full of buckshot. Enemies can still be baited from halfway across the map to all bunch up in a little corridor so they can be killed en masse. I once started a level spawned into the door so it was flinging around wildly, and 6+ enemies ran up to kill me only to be knocked on their rear end by the door. Standing behind a couch hides you from enemies unless you fire, at which point they can see and shoot you. These are all things that could've been improved from the first game. Not to mention the level design means you're going to be baiting enemies to come kill you...a lot. Like, most of the later levels. It gets tedious.

3. Narrative: I think this was everyone's biggest gripe. The plot's confusing and takes a lot of nods from Tarantino, if Tarantino used hallucinatory dream sequences. Mostly though, the game is cynical and judges you for playing it. Every character dies pointlessly and violently, if not because of their own horrible actions then because of the horrible actions of another. And that's fine with me, but it's going to turn a lot of people off. After I finished playing for the first time I had an angry moment of "Well then what was the point?" only for the developers to go "There was no point! That's the point! It's deeeep!" I think even the scoring system is in on it. The only way to get an A+ score on some levels is to memorize the level to the point that most people would've stopped playing the game.

Overall though, again, I loved it. I just wished they didn't nuke all the surviving characters and write off ever producing another sequel ever again. But I am looking forward to Midnight Animal, a fanmade sequel in August.

Glare Seethe posted:

On the plus side, my backlog is down to measly 50! :dance: Too bad a huge number of those are like 50+ hour games.
Congrats! I think the Groundhog Day approach to level design works for things like platformers (and Hotline Miami, see I'm not a hypocrite), but for Hacker it sounds like it just makes the game a lot less fun.

TheresaJayne posted:

War For the Overworld is a great remake of the old game. and is on offer this weekend
I have seen this post too late

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 31, 2016

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Finished: Dead Island I played this one together with a friend all the way through. This game is really slow to get started, as you spend an awfully long time not killing enemies, just walking around, talking to people and juggling around items. The mechanic where you need to constantly repair your weapons at a crafting table seems a bit dumb when those tables are everywhere. It seemed like pointless busywork.

As the game progresses you get to spend more time killing enemies. You unlock an item storage and you accumulate mods which you can use to add special effects to your weapons. At this point it's vastly more fun and co-op becomes very rewarding. It's best to have a savegame dedicated to each friend you play with, so you stay at mostly the same level and will need to do the exact same quests. Despite that, a bug caused my friend to jump ahead 10 levels ahead of me :v:

The moment we finished the game, its sequel Riptide went on sale in the humble bundle, so we're playing that now and having a good time. You can import your character from the previous game and continue on. Riptide improves the game by addressing bugs and gameplay annoyances, especially those regarding loot drops in co-op, and the inventory screen.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

MrSlam posted:

Congrats! I think the Groundhog Day approach to level design works for things like platformers (and Hotline Miami, see I'm not a hypocrite), but for Hacker it sounds like it just makes the game a lot less fun.

Absolutely. I actually quite like that kind of design in some platformers. But Hacker Evolution Duality is more like I Wanna Be the Guy than Super Meat Boy, for instance. They missed the mark badly. The game would be better with open-ended levels - if it plonked you down with your own server, gave you an objective and essentially went "figure it out!". But then it would have to ease up on the punishment and allow you to experiment and explore. At minimum there should be a way to recurrently earn money - as it stands the AI can launch endless attacks against you and your defense is dependent solely on a finite amount of money. So you rush. But even then the basic gameplay would need to be revamped to not be tedious as hell. And any way you look at it, having 5-10 different timers simultaneously counting down against you feels suffocating and annoying. Game's just bad. :(

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 1, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

UNBEATABLE?: Jim Power - Glitch in the 4th level prevented me from finishing the game (door would not open that is supposed to open by touch)

BEATEN: Legend - Mediocre beat-em-up from the SNES, you play one you play em all

BEATEN: Heavy Fire Shattered Spear - Mediocre on-rails shooter but I like on rails shooters, plus it's like if COD was written for even dumber people which was humorous to me

BEATEN: Retrovirus - Okay I'll write more words on this one because it's the one I bought the bundle for and it is a great, B+ grade game, excellent with minor flaws and an AWFUL LAST LEVEL (what else is new). Retrovirus is a 6DOF shooter ala Descent where you're an antivirus agent inside of a computer tracking down a vicious email worm and trying to stop its corruption. To get this out of the way, the weapons don't feel great, although Descent's weapons have never felt great and that's the risk you run when you go with sci-fi and lasers. But the level design is (for the most part) fun and varied, the characters have personality, there's little cute touches here and there. There's levelling up and perks and none of them are game-breakable, plus you can respec at any time so you can really configure yourself a bunch of different ways for different situations. Aesthetic is a little simple but cute. I couldn't put this game down until I was done with it, which is usually a quality I associate with Fantastic A-Tier Games, but with the flaws I'm fine knocking it down to B+.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
It's been a distressingly long time since I could talk about a bunch of games all at once. But! That time has come again.

SHELVED: Bionic Dues. I really wanted to like this, but I just can't deal with it. I can probably get past the fact that it's kind of trying to be Dredmor while not being as good at it, because I like the idea of an Arkham-horror style Doom Counter and a desperate X-COM style equipment race... but it's also not as good as DoomRL in having a roguelike interface where you shoot stuff, and the display is a disaster. In two hours of play I lost three mechs and in each time the only way I could figure out that I'd lost a unit was by reading the text console. I caught an animation once while it was happening and it was visually nearly indistinguishable from taking a hit. The data's all there, but I'm spending more time interpreting the drat screen than deciding on tactics. I might revisit it later.

POKED AT: Valiant Hearts. I'm going to enjoy this. Light adventure game elements, very light action elements, historical narration, is so far taking itself exactly seriously enough, given the subject matter. (That subject matter being, more or less, "World War I totally sucked.") This can be done poorly—mainly by just randomly murdering dudes before we get a chance to care, or systematically murdering everybody so that you never have a reason to actually care—but I'm a half-hour in and it's doing a pretty good job of mixing silly with gloomy.

Not really feeling ready to give Banner Saga a go, so I went spinning through my "Why do I own this again?" pile for stuff that I had and that I didn't already have represented in my alphabet.

POKED AT: The Marvelous MIss Take. Looked cute, took more mental energy than I had at the time. Super-stylish stealth-'em-up.

POKED AT: Mini Metro. Minimalistic puzzle game wher eyou have to set up subway routes and not tick off enough commuters. Super-chill, and it stays super-chill while spiraling hilariously out of control. I'm likely to revisit this, so one of these two is going to be my M game.

PLAYED A FEW ROUNDS: Reus. Also super-chill, this is a game about resource synergy optimization, more or less. Your goal is to command your Captain Planet giants to make the coolest world you can so that your human inhabitants will perform various Great Works. Countervailing that is that your people will become imperialist assholes if they have too much cool stuff sitting around, so you need to keep them all lean and hungry and too resource-strapped to waste energy on maiming each other's civilizations. I think this is the first game I've played where violence is caused by affluence instead of resource constraints. No real failure conditions that I can see; you just play for a set time period and then the game totals up how awesome your civilizations were and hands you a bunch of achievements. I'm calling this "Beaten" but I think it's more fair to call it UnBACKLOG.

CURRENTLY OBSESSING OVER: Zen Puzzle Garden. Man, remember when it seemed like every other Humble Bundle was packing in Lexaloffle's Voxatron-related shovelware? That's where this is from, and it's basically ice-sliding block puzzles and it is devouring my mind. I'm a bit over halfway through the basic puzzle set.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Project Aftermath: A low-budget RTS where you control up to four heroes, each leading a number of troops which effectively do what the hero does. No base building. The gimmick is that weapons, armor and additional powers are color-coded between red, yellow, blue and green. So a blue weapon only does token damage to blue armor, for instance. There are lots of enemies with two different colors of armor, and you can outfit your heroes with all sorts of combinations. Nice on paper, but in practice it boils down to making sure you have a decent mix of colors and that's it. It actually has little effect on strategy or tactics and the game becomes monotonous after a while. There are also a couple of missions where you have to keep a very fragile unit alive for some time which are infuriating, and there are no in-mission saves so every time you fail you're set back five or ten minutes to the start of the mission. Completely needless.

Monaco: A very smartly designed game, both in the level design and character design. It's clear that multiplayer is the way to go just from looking at a level and picturing how various abilities can come together to form a cohesive plan. I know from reading about it that said plan will invariably go wrong, though. In any case I played it singleplayer and it was still pretty fun, albeit kind of frustrating at times, particularly being stuck in a certain place knowing that a different character would serve me perfectly right about now. I think I ended up running with The Hacker most of the time, at least until I got killed. Some levels were also annoyingly hard, particularly in the Origins chapter, but I eventually got past them. Did not bother collecting all the money, though, I just did the objectives.

Nekro: Normally I wouldn't play any of my bundle-bought Early Access games before they're finished. Nekro, however, has been 90% finished for about a year now. It turns out the two main devs fell out which has put the game in a state of limbo, where one accused the other of holding the game hostage and wasting Kickstarter money, and the other accused him back of the same. Ultimately, the game was pulled off Steam, the forums were nuked (only the Bug Reports and Trading forums remain), Kickstarter backers' physical rewards remain unsent (one dev claims he has them but can't mail them until the situation is sorted) and it looks like Nekro is effectively as complete as it'll ever be.

Fortunately it actually is pretty complete and polished as is. What seems to be missing is a fourth class, skirmish mode and maybe some additional campaign levels since it ends very abruptly. Unfortunately, the game isn't all that much fun. The idea is you summon minions to help you clear out levels. To that end I went with the class that focuses on summoning (there was also a melee guy and a grenadier), which was a mistake. Your minions are mostly useless and will die quickly having done minimal damage to the enemies. And enemies will often ignore them in favor of charging you instead. I played the weakest class and had to upgrade my speed twice just to match enemies' speed so I could run away and not get my rear end handed to me. Movement was an annoyance in general, it's very slow even after you upgrade it. There's a lot of running backwards in this game. Also there are a few "Survive for x amount of time" levels which are a huge difficulty spike and complete bullshit. The whole game needs a balance pass, but will probably never get it.

After I beat the game I briefly tried the melee class and it seemed extremely unfun and just as ineffective. Oh well.

Tropico 2: Pirate Cove: I'd previously played the original Tropico five years ago, putting about 10 into the sandbox mode. This sequel has an actual campaign, though, and beating that took me 32 hours. I was definitely ready for it to end by the last few missions, and I doubt I'll go back for sandbox or standalone scenarios (which I actually never touch in this type of game for some reason). But I really did have fun with it for the most part. There were a couple things I disliked, namely the inability to assign ships to specific docks or transfer unused goods from docks to the Smuggler's Cove. Also unneeded plundered cannons essentially disappearing where you could theoretically haul them back to the Cove and resell them. In some missions losing a ship could be a game-changing disaster as well, essentially forcing a reload. And ultimately the gameplay was similar throughout and the strategy was generally the same. They're relaxing games, though, so that's fine, and sandbox allows you to change a lot of map parameters so I can see a lot of variation there. And man, the soundtrack. :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Glare Seethe posted:

Tropico 2: Pirate Cove: I'd previously played the original Tropico five years ago, putting about 10 into the sandbox mode. This sequel has an actual campaign, though, and beating that took me 32 hours. I was definitely ready for it to end by the last few missions, and I doubt I'll go back for sandbox or standalone scenarios (which I actually never touch in this type of game for some reason). But I really did have fun with it for the most part. There were a couple things I disliked, namely the inability to assign ships to specific docks or transfer unused goods from docks to the Smuggler's Cove. Also unneeded plundered cannons essentially disappearing where you could theoretically haul them back to the Cove and resell them. In some missions losing a ship could be a game-changing disaster as well, essentially forcing a reload. And ultimately the gameplay was similar throughout and the strategy was generally the same. They're relaxing games, though, so that's fine, and sandbox allows you to change a lot of map parameters so I can see a lot of variation there. And man, the soundtrack. :love:

I should go back and give this a proper college try. Tropico 1 was too tough on my little kid brain, but since then I've cut my teeth by completing Tropico 3. I briefly installed Tropico 2 and felt overwhelmed immediately. I wonder if I've matured enough to handle it?