Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Cangelosi posted:

Abortions can't wear SHOES? What sort of malarkey is that?

For sale: Abortion shoes, never worn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cangelosi posted:

Abortions can't wear SHOES? What sort of malarkey is that?

Well, not if they did it right, no.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

To be honest, that doesn't look like much fun, winter or no.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

a kitten posted:

To be honest, that doesn't look like much fun, winter or no.

It's written by Steve Purcell so that actually sounds awesome.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

joehonkie posted:

It's written by Steve Purcell so that actually sounds awesome.

With art by Art Adams no less! I just read a review of it and the previous Summer Special, and they sound as bizarre as you suspect!

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
This sounds like a joke but is not: if you see a Gumby comic, you should pick it up, because chances are that it is weird and hilarious and bizarre as gently caress.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Benito Cereno posted:

This sounds like a joke but is not: if you see a Gumby comic, you should pick it up, because chances are that it is weird and hilarious and bizarre as gently caress.

The Gumby show was pretty psychotic. Gumby is a capricious and cruel God.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

The Gumby show was pretty psychotic. Gumby is a capricious and cruel God.

We talkin like Stardust the Super Wizard style cruel and capricious or what

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Phy posted:

We talkin like Stardust the Super Wizard style cruel and capricious or what

Yes. It might have been the Gumby movie that I'm remembering, though. Full disclosure, I was high as poo poo when I watched it, but I remember the consensus of the group being that Gumby's an evil rear end in a top hat.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

(Fantastic Four #40)

Good job he has that crosshair on his cane-gun :o:

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
God dammit I HATE when someone is shouting obvious advice at me while I'm doing something! I WAS going to do that then, you shouting "NOW" added NOTHING and now you're gonna feel like you helped somehow. Doom has a point: Richards is a total dick.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Good job he has that crosshair on his cane-gun :o:

He's gotta make people think he isn't blind!

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Squirrel Girl #1. The Second one.

I also like this throwback joke, not so much for the joke, as for the the original joke it throws back to:

Same.

The first joke:

Squirrel Girl #1. #1.

And then there's this great note from the epic final battle in Weirdworld. Don't mess with the butterflies.

Weirdworld #5. The first one.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Squirrel Girl, bringing back the clown nightmares.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It took that panel to make me realize that Storm controlling the weather is actually a really useful power in terms of direct application to the general public. She could make a fortune ending droughts, diverting hurricanes, making clear sunny days for major sporting events and so on.

Or alternatively gently caress with a weatherman ex-boyfriend by screwing up a whole town's rain cycle out of spite.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Storm causes global warming

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

She was literally being worshipped as a god before being an X-Man for that precise reason.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SynthOrange posted:

Storm causes global warming

Mohawks are pretty hot.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
Those Squirrel Girl panels made me wonder, what exactly are her powers? I know she can talk to squirrels but that's the extent of my knowledge.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Ghostlight posted:

She was literally being worshipped as a god before being an X-Man for that precise reason.

Why did she join the X-men anyways? It seems like she could do more for advancing mutant rights as a god than as a paramilitary school teacher. Plus it probably pays better.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Clamknuckle posted:

Those Squirrel Girl panels made me wonder, what exactly are her powers? I know she can talk to squirrels but that's the extent of my knowledge.

Proportional strength and agility of a squirrel and being in the type of comic where you can have a nice chat with Galactus to stop him eating the world.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Proportional strength and agility of a squirrel and being in the type of comic where you can have a nice chat with Galactus to stop him eating the world.

I remember reading, at some point before this latest series, that Squirrel Girl's canonical power level was 'just slightly stronger than whoever her current enemy is'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Squirrel Girl having the most incredibly mediocre powers was the entire gag with her unbeatability, although that's been beaten into the ground at this point. She's slightly stronger and faster than normal people. And can command squirrels.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avulsion posted:

Why did she join the X-men anyways? It seems like she could do more for advancing mutant rights as a god than as a paramilitary school teacher. Plus it probably pays better.

Been a while since I read Giant-Size #1, but I think Xavier's pitch boiled down to, "As a goddess, you can change this small corner of Africa, but as an X-Man, you can change the world." Something to that effect.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Squirrel Girl having the most incredibly mediocre powers was the entire gag with her unbeatability, although that's been beaten into the ground at this point. She's slightly stronger and faster than normal people. And can command squirrels.

If I remember the original Iron Man story she appeared in correctly, she also had small claws (mostly useful for climbing), some kind of knuckle spike, and she could chew through wood.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hell, I can chew through wood. Takes a while, but I can do it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Dolash posted:

It took that panel to make me realize that Storm controlling the weather is actually a really useful power in terms of direct application to the general public. She could make a fortune ending droughts, diverting hurricanes, making clear sunny days for major sporting events and so on.

There's a great bit in The Hitchhiker's Guide about a guy who doesn't know he's a minor rain god and is rained on every single day of his life, no matter where he is. He ends up becoming rich by getting resorts to pay him to stay away.

Clamknuckle posted:

There's a song explaining it all.

https://imgur.com/a/06Jl0

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Hell, I can chew through wood. Takes a while, but I can do it.

You can also talk to squirrels.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I just realized, I don't know what the powers of girl would be in a Marvel comic.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
In honor of Darwyn Cooke:

Justice League New Frontier Special

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Kwyndig posted:

I just realized, I don't know what the powers of girl would be in a Marvel comic.

Able to create life? (with a tiny bit of help)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

Having every guy in the world fall in love with you because of your beauty and brilliance, but ultimately ending up with the dweeb next door/teacher's pet at your school/loner who just wants to be left alone/puny guy who grows up to be a war hero.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Uncanny Avengers #9

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

"The joke behind Squirrel Girl, created by Will Murray and Steve Ditko, is that she’s an unlikely hero who looks sort of ridiculous in her furry mammal costume, yet somehow she proves unbeatable against every dangerous villain or crazed maniac she meets. One may wonder if the gimmick has the sticking power to support an ongoing series, but it’s worked pretty well for Batman for the last 75 years."
-Andrew Wheeler

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fatherdog posted:

"The joke behind Squirrel Girl, created by Will Murray and Steve Ditko, is that she’s an unlikely hero who looks sort of ridiculous in her furry mammal costume, yet somehow she proves unbeatable against every dangerous villain or crazed maniac she meets. One may wonder if the gimmick has the sticking power to support an ongoing series, but it’s worked pretty well for Batman for the last 75 years."
-Andrew Wheeler

:fry:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fatherdog posted:

-Andrew Wheeler

... haha, god drat.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

fatherdog posted:

-Andrew Wheeler

I like to believe that Squirrel Girl's strength is inversely proportional to how competent or threatening her opponent is.
So someone like Doom or Thanos falls easily to her, but White Rabbit or Paste Pot Pete will defeat her soundly. Has a book actually run with a concept like that?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

fatherdog posted:

-Andrew Wheeler

Nice spike of the football there. :thurman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

SilverSupernova posted:

I like to believe that Squirrel Girl's strength is inversely proportional to how competent or threatening her opponent is.
So someone like Doom or Thanos falls easily to her, but White Rabbit or Paste Pot Pete will defeat her soundly. Has a book actually run with a concept like that?

Empowered maybe? Emp gets beaten a lot by mook villains but always seems to come through against the big threats.