Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

One of these days FFXII will come to PC and we can all talk about how it has the best dub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean it's p whatever, but more Gideon Emery's never bad.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
bad sound quality

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Baal posted:

I mean it's p whatever, but more Gideon Emery's never bad.

He's awesome and all but I prefer Dr. Cid and Gabranth.

It is a tragedy they could not get Gabranth's dub VA back for Dissidia.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oxxidation posted:

Wakka's bad,

Oh my god.

General Morden posted:

bad sound quality

The lovely compression is kind of endearing to me and I don't know how I'd feel about it being corrected.

I'd probably get over in like 10 minutes who am I kidding.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Baal posted:

It's very possible the voice direction was to once again imitate the JP Voice Actors and Japanese Yuna sounds about as bad as FFX Hedy Buress. Also, it's FFX Yuna and it's very possible she either decided to be true to what the character sounded like at that point or the ADR Director was given specific instruction to make her sound like she did back then.

From what Kuja's VA said (of the vocal direction in Dissidia), it's likely. Although the returning cast for Dissidia 012 ended up sounding less stilted than the first, so go figure that one out.

Unrelated, I curse you Baal, you baka gaijin, for making me bite the bullet and looking into this Jojo thing...And now I'm completely loving hooked. You bastard.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
OK, shut the gently caress up about voice acting, I just wanna get one thing clear: Did this guy seriously just say "good gravy"?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Yew Geneolgia is a perfect child.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Holy poo poo Yew is the best. coup de gravy. For the gravy, by gravy, plus gravy. I've fallen back in love with Bravely Default.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
ur alright gologle

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

The remaster really shows off the great clothing design in this game:

It will never stop bothering me that Spira's solemn, pure, holy priestesses are always walking around in bikinis and thongs. That's not how that is supposed to work! :psyduck:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Hey it's their world, don't judge man. I tell ya what, if Japanese shrine maidens all went around with thongs riding so far up their rear end they may as well not exist and skin tight leather shirts, Shinto would still be the main religion in Japan I tell ya what.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Augus posted:

It will never stop bothering me that Spira's solemn, pure, holy priestesses are always walking around in bikinis and thongs. That's not how that is supposed to work! :psyduck:

Even better, what the hell is the thing the kid on the left is wearing? A full body skirt with cords that comes up to just below the nipples and is kept up with some weird wrap, that's what. That screenshot is screaming that Spira needs a break from Sin to get their fashion in order.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yuna must be treated like a freak of nature considering she's one of the only people in Spira who dresses in a way that makes sense in the real world.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Augus posted:

Hey now, Dona was awesome. She was clearly made to be a foil to Yuna. Vain where Yuna is humble, combative where Yuna is meek, common where Yuna is more privileged and, yes, dressing in a thong while Yuna dresses modestly.

I think Yuna used Dona as her inspiration for X-2.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Yuna must be treated like a freak of nature considering she's one of the only people in Spira who dresses in a way that makes sense in the real world.

her sensible hiking boots kinda clash with her fancy robe

that's all i got, kudos to yuna for caring more about practicability than style

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad Yuna decided that booty shorts are the way to go after finally defeating Sin.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm glad Yuna decided that booty shorts are the way to go after finally defeating Sin.

when you think about it there was really no other direction you could take the sequel to no you shut the gently caress up dad: the game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In a world free from sin, everything is permitted.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Bravely Second has very nice voice acting, Edea and Yew put in great performances in particular.

Yeah it's actually great, I am surprised they got the VA this good for a 3DS game. Even the asterisk holders are funny and full of personality.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The GIG posted:

I can only ignore bad acting in a foreign language. If I hear bad acting in a language I understand I am forced to listen to every word and cannot do a thing about it. A man comes to my house and punches me if I press the mute button.

I never got this because it's actually really easy to pick out bad acting in just about any language

Mega64 posted:

She literally is wearing a kimono she ripped the sleeves off of at the shoulders then she reattached the sleeves on her hands

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm reaching a point where I can actually pay attention enough to pick out a bad Japanese performance and so I'd usually rather just listen to it in the language I can actually understand.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

She literally is wearing a kimono she ripped the sleeves off of at the shoulders then she reattached the sleeves on her hands

Yeah but in a world with belt dress and pant that's some incredible restraint.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I liked pretty much all the costume design in FFX and it was cool that at least some thought was put into how the different populations of Spira might dress. The only questionable choice to me is Lulu, who on a tropical island of colorful inhabitants looks like a dominatrix complete with leather straps and chains. I know she's a black mage and everything but I always thought they could have chosen a more tasteful way of representing that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

Hey now, Dona was awesome. She was clearly made to be a foil to Yuna. Vain where Yuna is humble, combative where Yuna is meek, common where Yuna is more privileged and, yes, dressing in a thong while Yuna dresses modestly.

I think Yuna used Dona as her inspiration for X-2.

What's Yunalesca's excuse?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Welp, only the Yunalesca fight to go and then it's off to the FFX endgame grind of doom. :gonk:

Some of the worst is behind me already, because I did the chocobo training on my first visit to Calm Lands and completed the lightning dodging totally legitimately and not at all by cheating with an autohotkey script (the guy who made that deserves a medal), but there's still plenty of butterflies and blitzball and cactuars and other bullshit to look forward to. I mean I could just ignore all of this like a sensible person, but where's the fun in that?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you already cheated to skip the Lightning why not just skip everything else too

Edit: my phone autocorrected Lightning to the capital because it must know where I'm posting

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Something I noticed replaying FFX is that even without the final summoning, Spira was already getting pretty good at kicking Sin's rear end. The first summoner to defeat Sin was Yunalesca some 1,000 years ago, then there's a gap of 500+ years before anybody kills Sin again, but Sin has been killed three times within the last 50 years by the time you reach the end of the game. Maybe even without Jecht/Tidus' intervention Sin would have eventually become something that flares up every now and again, like the flu.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Doc Morbid posted:

Welp, only the Yunalesca fight to go and then it's off to the FFX endgame grind of doom. :gonk:

Some of the worst is behind me already, because I did the chocobo training on my first visit to Calm Lands and completed the lightning dodging totally legitimately and not at all by cheating with an autohotkey script (the guy who made that deserves a medal), but there's still plenty of butterflies and blitzball and cactuars and other bullshit to look forward to. I mean I could just ignore all of this like a sensible person, but where's the fun in that?

The grinding is much faster than you think, as long as you're not going for like, rewriting sphere grid. I went from doing 9999 to 50k attacks in the space of a couple of hours

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

In Training posted:

If you already cheated to skip the Lightning why not just skip everything else too

Edit: my phone autocorrected Lightning to the capital because it must know where I'm posting
This is a very good question and I don't actually have a decent answer.

The lightning dodging is the only FFX minigame where I've straight-up tapped out because I find it impossible to complete. Yes, I'm sure it's not actually hard and you just need a little patience, but in a game filled with mind-numbing busywork that minigame takes the cake. At least retrying the chocobo race doesn't take much time (it actually took me only three or four attempts to get the sigil on this playthrough, I had far more trouble with the wobbly chocobo game), and you're not just sitting in a dark room and reacting to flashes for half an hour.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 18, 2016

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I used autohotkey and left it alone for 45 mins. The minigame is so notoriously unfun that I don't feel any guilt in skipping it entirely.

Frankly, the cheatiest thing about it is getting a stack of Strength and HP spheres so early in the game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

exquisite tea posted:

Something I noticed replaying FFX is that even without the final summoning, Spira was already getting pretty good at kicking Sin's rear end. The first summoner to defeat Sin was Yunalesca some 1,000 years ago, then there's a gap of 500+ years before anybody kills Sin again, but Sin has been killed three times within the last 50 years by the time you reach the end of the game. Maybe even without Jecht/Tidus' intervention Sin would have eventually become something that flares up every now and again, like the flu.

I think that has less to do with Sin-slaying prowess and more to do with the Calms getting shorter and shorter.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Plus even if they are, they're still sacrificing summoners to do it and perpetuating the cycle.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Knowing what we know now about high fantasy terrorism and Jecht being Sin, maybe the Crusaders should have built a giant Blitzball mine that even Sin couldn't resist kicking.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Did I screw myself by picking the expert grid, or is it more forgiving than it appears?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Expert grid just gives you more options. Original one just kinda slots everyone into a specific role at the start, while expert is more open. It would be hard to gently caress it up unless you make like 6 thief's or something.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Not a Children posted:

Did I screw myself by picking the expert grid, or is it more forgiving than it appears?

It has a smaller total number of nodes, which only matters if both:

- You plan on stat-maxing (save yourself now)
- You plan on using Break HP Limit (which you never need to do, and since most healing is capped at 9999, there are reasons not to) and thus your HP stat-maxing needs to be 10 times higher

If you don't plan on stat-maxing, or if you only plan on stat-maxing up to 9999 HP instead of 99999 HP, then it doesn't matter in the long run. Just make sure you have characters going down different paths for versatility and ability coverage.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

expert grid is way better than normal grid

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Doc Morbid posted:

This is a very good question and I don't actually have a decent answer.

The lightning dodging is the only FFX minigame where I've straight-up tapped out because I find it impossible to complete. Yes, I'm sure it's not actually hard and you just need a little patience, but in a game filled with mind-numbing busywork that minigame takes the cake. At least retrying the chocobo race doesn't take much time (it actually took me only three or four attempts to get the sigil on this playthrough, I had far more trouble with the wobbly chocobo game), and you're not just sitting in a dark room and reacting to flashes for half an hour.

Look up the crater trick. That plus a no encounters armor means it's merely tedious instead of impossible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Dewgy posted:

Look up the crater trick. That plus a no encounters armor means it's merely tedious instead of impossible!
I already cheated through it with autohotkey :ssh: (and I regret nothing)

I'm aware of the crater trick and might try it at some point if I'm extremely bored and have nothing but my PSVita with me, but I'm playing on PC now and noticed someone had made an autohotkey script, so I went "gently caress this" and just cheated. There's still plenty of punishment in store for this playthrough.