Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lizard Wizard posted:

Stellaris, please!

Keep an eye on your neighbors. If one of them has an aggressive personality like "Fanatic Purifiers" you need to ensure your military strength is about equal to theirs in the diplomacy screen.

Vassalization is a really good way to boost your military power. Vassals create fleets that will follow your largest stack in wartime. At the least, they'll act as cannon fodder.

The AI is kinda bad at managing planets right now, for your sectors and for other empires. When you use sectors, you might want to build planets up before turning them over.

On sectors, there's not much benefit to having multiple. Put as many as you can into one mega-sector and give them a 5 star Governor. (Sector govs don't earn XP)

Torpedoes seem to be pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Energy production is important, even if you have a good surplus throughout the game, a sizable late game fleet can put you in a pretty big deficit if you don't have a large production. The early game you'll probably be feeling more of a mineral squeeze but later on, you'll need energy more, probably, so when you feel like you always have more minerals than you know what to do with, it could be good to replace mining buildings with power plants.

Spaceports and spaceport upgrades boost naval capacity so you should consider building them even in sectors and upgrading them if you need more naval capacity.

It can very hard with no espionage mechanics to know how to counter enemy fleets so having a much larger fleet that is more general is the safest bet.

Upgrading large fleets takes much less time if you split them up and send them to separate spaceports to be upgraded.

Spaceport buildings with ship bonuses only affect ships built there so it can be a good idea to have all the +speed and +evade buildings on the same spaceport that also has corvette assembly yards so you can build tons of speedy dodgy corvettes quickly. Having them spread across multiple spaceports can dilute their effects and make it harder to keep track of which spaceports are good for what.

When colonizing, consider what systems you'll get in your influence more so than the planet itself. For instance, a nine space planet that'll get you control of some nice systems with strategic resources or whatever is better than a twenty space planet that won't get you anything new. Frontier outposts can be used to grab areas you'll want to build up later but you can only support so many of those at once. Once space fills up, you'll be able to colonize and develop the other worlds in your space, but establishing a larger zone will be good when all the space has been taken. Then you fill out your space.

On that note, keep an eye on other species that you end up with control over and figure out who is good for what. A very strong species can be good for building armies, ones with different preferences are obviously great for filling out your space. There came a phase of my game where I could make a tally of all the ocean worlds, arid worlds, etc in my space and I would go to one world of ocean people that I had captured, make six colony ships, make a thing of synths so that I could build ships of synths to send to tomb worlds, etc. This brought me to a much higher power level and naval capacity without having to fight wars. Diversity helps. If you don't have other species, then genetic modification can help you get the right preferences.

If you purge an entire planet for whatever reason, leave one pop unpurged, resettle a pop of whoever you want on that planet, then purge the last native pop. Empty planets are just that, empty, and I had to build a new colony ship and actually lost a gaia world to an AI because they colonized the system before I showed up. Alternatively, Frontier outposts can be used to maintain control but plan for it.

Research is stored when your scientists are busy with special projects so don't be concerned about falling behind on tech due to projects.

Techs get much slower if you have a lot of pops so try and keep up with building and upgrading science labs.

csm141 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 17, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Some of the stuff worth looking up in Dark Souls games, particularly DS3, is the NPC quest triggers because they don't always work and half the time they're obscure.

Like in DS3, there's an area with a well in it. If you clear that area in one shot and don't come back, you don't trigger an NPC quest in that well. If you don't realize that exists and just keep clearing through the game, you hit the flag further in the game where it says "Oh you didn't go take care of that NPC, now he's dead!". I mean, that's not irreversible if you don't mind learning about it before New Game +, but it still would require you to look up those points of no return before hand.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Lizard Wizard posted:

Stellaris, please!

You've got a ton of stuff already, but here's a few things that tripped me up:

- The racial traits that boost research only affect research in labs in colonies, not research from space stations or the +5 you start with. This makes them far less powerful than you'd assume. For beginners, extra minerals is probably the best trait, since you need them for everything.
- Holding shift lets you queue orders for your ships.
- Science and Construction vessels automatically flee from all hostile ships in the same system as them. If you give them orders while they're fleeing, they'll ignore you, you need to wait until they've gotten to a safe system before they'll listen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zaodai posted:

Some of the stuff worth looking up in Dark Souls games, particularly DS3, is the NPC quest triggers because they don't always work and half the time they're obscure.

Like in DS3, there's an area with a well in it. If you clear that area in one shot and don't come back, you don't trigger an NPC quest in that well. If you don't realize that exists and just keep clearing through the game, you hit the flag further in the game where it says "Oh you didn't go take care of that NPC, now he's dead!". I mean, that's not irreversible if you don't mind learning about it before New Game +, but it still would require you to look up those points of no return before hand.

Not that you're a jerk or anything, but I actually disagree with this completely. Looking up NPC quest triggers is going to require you to spoil lots of things, and that's bad. Souls games should generally be played as blind as possible; that's the whole strength of asking questions in a thread like this instead of reading the wiki where you'll see endgame spoilers without meaning to.

NPC quests in From games are not like normal RPGs. You're not meant to do them. You're definitely not meant to succeed. Quests are a mysterious bonus element that you're meant to pick into as you play them multiple times and see the different possible results that you haven't in the past.

Its like world tendency in DeS, they're secrets that you are absolutely 100% not meant to find in your first playthrough. After you beat the game, then you can either try and dig them up yourself or you can go read the wiki to find out what to do, since there wont' be anything left to spoil. And then playing through the game to do those NPC quests gives you something to do, a reason to start a new character or play through NG+.

The quest with the NPC in the well is a perfect example of an extremely, extremely minor little detail that you really shouldn't care if you miss the first time, but its a fun bonus to go look for your second time through and go "oh that's where he was, and apparently freeing him makes him show up in that other place? oh hey that's cool."

Quests in souls games aren't anything like quests in normal RPGs. Many of them don't even have rewards! Not worth spoiling the game just to make sure you see everything on your first run through. The whole point, the whole design is to give you replayability. You're robbing yourself of that.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Gerblyn posted:

- Science and Construction vessels automatically flee from all hostile ships in the same system as them. If you give them orders while they're fleeing, they'll ignore you, you need to wait until they've gotten to a safe system before they'll listen.

There's situations where it can be useful to disable this behavior, for instance, I had a few wars where I was more interested in getting good salvage from battles in enemy territory than anything else, so I had my fleet sitting in the system while my science ship did its work. Or I wanted to build Frontier outposts to take systems while still at war. With the default settings, i'd have my ships abandoning their work because one corvette came into the system, even though I had a 10k fleet there standing guard. In this case, you can set the fleet stance to Passive rather than Evasive using one of the buttons in the ships menu. Just remember to set it back when you're done or else you might lose a good scientist to Crystalline entities or something stupid.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Chief Savage Man posted:

Just remember to set it back when you're done or else you might lose a good scientist to Crystalline entities or something stupid.

Good to know, thanks!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Nomadic Scholar posted:

There is a choice early on that will affect someone in a very big way. Depending on your answer, it will change their skill set. upbeat gives them fire and expel type skills, calm gives them ice and death and sexy gives them zio and some almighty.
Note that the almighty skills from that last choice only come into play at level 50 and later, and calm gives healing spells in addition to ice and death.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Zaphod42 posted:

Not that you're a jerk or anything, but I actually disagree with this completely. Looking up NPC quest triggers is going to require you to spoil lots of things, and that's bad. Souls games should generally be played as blind as possible; that's the whole strength of asking questions in a thread like this instead of reading the wiki where you'll see endgame spoilers without meaning to.

NPC quests in From games are not like normal RPGs. You're not meant to do them. You're definitely not meant to succeed. Quests are a mysterious bonus element that you're meant to pick into as you play them multiple times and see the different possible results that you haven't in the past.

Its like world tendency in DeS, they're secrets that you are absolutely 100% not meant to find in your first playthrough. After you beat the game, then you can either try and dig them up yourself or you can go read the wiki to find out what to do, since there wont' be anything left to spoil. And then playing through the game to do those NPC quests gives you something to do, a reason to start a new character or play through NG+.

The quest with the NPC in the well is a perfect example of an extremely, extremely minor little detail that you really shouldn't care if you miss the first time, but its a fun bonus to go look for your second time through and go "oh that's where he was, and apparently freeing him makes him show up in that other place? oh hey that's cool."

Quests in souls games aren't anything like quests in normal RPGs. Many of them don't even have rewards! Not worth spoiling the game just to make sure you see everything on your first run through. The whole point, the whole design is to give you replayability. You're robbing yourself of that.

I suppose it's a matter of preference. At the very least, someone asking what they should know before playing should be aware that there is stuff that you might miss simply because you didn't die when they thought you would or you did some areas out of order. It lets them choose whether they want to be sure not to miss it, and if nothing else at least makes them aware there is stuff to miss due to the wonky way some of the flags are coded. With the case of the well in particular, if you missed it the first time you WONT go looking for it the second time because there was no indication he was in the well the first time. You would have to come back and check the well AGAIN even if you checked it the first time to even know the well did anything beyond the metagame knowledge of "they probably didn't put a well here for no reason", if you've played Souls games before.

If he were present the first time, I would completely agree on giving you a chance to come back later and figure it out. But the fact that you can miss ever knowing he was there is something you might want to be aware of, or you're cheating yourself out of neat little things.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zaodai posted:

I suppose it's a matter of preference. At the very least, someone asking what they should know before playing should be aware that there is stuff that you might miss simply because you didn't die when they thought you would or you did some areas out of order. It lets them choose whether they want to be sure not to miss it, and if nothing else at least makes them aware there is stuff to miss due to the wonky way some of the flags are coded. With the case of the well in particular, if you missed it the first time you WONT go looking for it the second time because there was no indication he was in the well the first time. You would have to come back and check the well AGAIN even if you checked it the first time to even know the well did anything beyond the metagame knowledge of "they probably didn't put a well here for no reason", if you've played Souls games before.

If he were present the first time, I would completely agree on giving you a chance to come back later and figure it out. But the fact that you can miss ever knowing he was there is something you might want to be aware of, or you're cheating yourself out of neat little things.

I'm not saying you should come back later on THIS run and finish it. I'm saying you should resign yourself to accepting that you won't see most NPC quests on your first run and will fail them without knowing why, because that's what you are intended to do. They are designed that way. That's why there's no indications like you mentioned. You're really NOT supposed to see everything 100% your first run. You're meant to play through and go "hmm, why did that character disappear?" and then on your SECOND playthrough, or NG+, then you go "i'm going to get to the bottom of this". So the fact that you mess up without knowing is not a flaw, its by design.

If souls quests were like quests in other games, that would be bullshit and frustrating, you'd miss some quest reward that was super epic because you weren't warned ahead of time. But souls isn't like that. You're really honestly meant to miss all that stuff on your first run. Just like world tendency in Demon's Souls. You were NOT supposed to find everything in PWWT and PBWT on your first run of the game all at once. You're supposed to have to mess it up and try again later.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

And my point is there is a difference between failing a quest without knowing why and not knowing a quest existed at all. The choice whether to care is in the hands of the individual player.

Someone handing you a puzzle and telling you to solve it is straight forward. Someone telling you there is a puzzle to be solved somewhere in this house but not what it is missable but somewhat fair. Buying a house and there being $50,000 behind a wall in the basement is not something you're going to figure out,. It's not replayability, because there is nothing telling you it exists.

People who are first time players should definitely know, at the very least, there are a handful of shittily coded quest flags. If they don't want to look any of it up, then they should know to backtrack to areas that were seemingly pointless frequently, because stuff may change for no reason and with no indication, even if there was nothing there before.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Zaodai posted:

And my point is there is a difference between failing a quest without knowing why and not knowing a quest existed at all. The choice whether to care is in the hands of the individual player.

Someone handing you a puzzle and telling you to solve it is straight forward. Someone telling you there is a puzzle to be solved somewhere in this house but not what it is missable but somewhat fair. Buying a house and there being $50,000 behind a wall in the basement is not something you're going to figure out,. It's not replayability, because there is nothing telling you it exists.

People who are first time players should definitely know, at the very least, there are a handful of shittily coded quest flags. If they don't want to look any of it up, then they should know to backtrack to areas that were seemingly pointless frequently, because stuff may change for no reason and with no indication, even if there was nothing there before.

I don't think this is a fair comparison though. There is definately a lot obfuscated in the quest system, but every quest has a clear start point that is very hard to miss. Working out how to do the quest just requires some poking around and picking at it. There are some that will fail without an obvious reason, but you can kinda tell why or where it failed by paying attention. Character X isn't showing up or talking to me anymore? Welp, I probably messed up that questline somewhere!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Yea guys, we should definitely have this debate for the 99th time.

Anything for Trackmania Turbo?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Anybody have any tips for Tale of Wuxia?

I messed about a bit this morning, and there seems to be an overwhelming amount of stuff in the game. Like I can get better at fighting by learning how to make tea or play chess? I don't even know where to start.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Anything I should keep in mind going into Sniper Elite III or Wild ARMS 3?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Note that the almighty skills from that last choice only come into play at level 50 and later, and calm gives healing spells in addition to ice and death.

I only played through with the sexy option, so I just did a quick Google search for the other two. Game is pretty great if you want some 90s cyberpunk jrpg shenanigans though.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Gerblyn posted:

Anybody have any tips for Tale of Wuxia?

I messed about a bit this morning, and there seems to be an overwhelming amount of stuff in the game. Like I can get better at fighting by learning how to make tea or play chess? I don't even know where to start.

Character Creation
- Morale determines how much experience you gain in Sim Mode. Industrious increases morale when you do things you want to maximize your XP on, Smart increases morale when you do things that are easy to max anyway or give fixed amounts of skill points. Pick Industrious.
- Don't worry too much about stats here - the only real reason to reroll once you get the traits you want is if end with up a single digit Attack, Defense, or Comprehension (which are harder to raise in game and have much broader effects) or if you have a specific skill you want to max ASAP and are willing to reroll until you get a 30 in it.

RPG Mode
- Your goal here is try and trigger as many events as possible before your time is up. Consider keeping a save at the start in case you want to go back and do it more efficiently, and possibly one in the prior Sim week if a quest calls for something you'd rather preemptively buy from the valley shop instead of messing around with the minigame to try and get it (read: herb gathering).
- If you have any leftover time and can't find something to do, spend it on the production minigames, preferably mining (for money and treasure chests) or hunting (for the health/energy boosts).
- Some of the minor locations don't have ending events - if you didn't get a time limit at the start, just move on once you've exhausted everything you can find to do.

Sim Mode
- Pick a single weapon/unarmed style and focus on stuff relating to that - you can't really change weapons in battle, so you want to have multiple styles available to switch between for that weapon. Fist, Sword, or Blade are safe choices, as there are a lot of straight-forward to acquire styles for them, you automatically start with one for them, and you'll get an advanced one for free later on as well.
- Every combat style has one stat that boosts its damage (in addition to Attack, Combat, and Martial Knowledge which boost all of them), which is generally listed on its book page unless the text size overflows it, but most of them are obvious anyway. Consider maxing that stat once you find a style you want to use as your main one.
- The majority of your stamina is spent either strolling for random events or on training Basics. An average schedule, assuming you've picked Industrious, is 2-3 weeks/month doing two basic trainings, and 2-3 doing a stroll followed by production or one of the Wangyou sages once they unlock, leaving one stamina to restore the Morale hit you take.
- There are way more Stroll events then you can possibly do, even if you spend every week strolling, and the game randomly picks one of all the possible options when you select a location. You should absolutely consider abusing save/load to get events that sound interesting/relevant (character you like, reward that seems good, something that seems an event chain you want to advance, etc.)
- The most important Basic trainings are Internal Styles (boosts all base stats), Flexibility (boosts Attack), and Toughness (boosts Defense). A good strategy is to focus on internal styles until you have ~2000 health, then rotate them until flexibility/toughness/at least one Internal Style is maxed. Qinggong is move range, but is boosted by several internal styles as a bonus so can be maxed later.
- Unless you have an style book that requires a certain level of a weapon to learn (eg. Staff 80), there's no reason to train Moves in this mode. You can max out a combat style by just using it in battle.
- The courier is the fastest way to raise affection, but consider holding off until later in the game once you've gone through most of the available increases/decreases. Read people's bios to find out what they like. The two items to note for this are the Yellow Paper (+50 to any male character) and the various "pillow books" (+50/80 to literally 90% of the cast).

Misc
- The important affection breakpoints are 5 (base), 0 (you went against them in an event and now they hate you), 60 (needed for some events), and 100 (needed for 80% of the relevant checks and for them to be considered your "ally").
- Gong (the herb guy) is an rear end in a top hat who has like eight separate events that instantly tank either his or someone else's affection to 0. Do not waste your time befriending him.
- The item Lime Powder is an arc attack that applies a -90% accuracy debuff for three turns. Buy it out every time you see it and abuse it on any fight you have trouble with.
- Until the DLC unlocks New Game+, difficulty doesn't actually unlock anything. Feel free to play on the lower levels if you want.
- Speaking of DLC, ignore the Dual style listed on your character sheet. There is as of yet no way to actually increase this stat. Only Ji's cool enough to hold two swords at once.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Anything I should keep in mind going into Sniper Elite III or Wild ARMS 3?
Sniper Elite III: walk up to sound-masking environmental objects, use them, shoot people while said objects make stupid noises, shoot waves of psychic soldiers with SMG because scripted firefights in sniper games are really good, repeat for as many hours as you can take, uninstall

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Sniper Elite III: Play it in co-op, it's pretty amazing there. Some fights are scripted, some are just because stealth can be really loving hard. You have land mines and trip mines for a reason, so mine the poo poo out of the way up to your hidey-hole.

Shoot some people in the testicles, it's amazing.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
It was 15 bucks on PS4, I figured that would be a good price to shoot some testes. I didn't know about the scripted shoot outs though. Kind of puts a damper on the stealth sniping

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

LawfulWaffle posted:

Anything I should keep in mind going into Wild ARMS 3?
Focus on upgrading Clive's ATT about 3 times as soon as possible. It is very possible to enter a fail state where you are ambushed by a certain enemy who is basically immune to damage, unless Clive has several ATT upgrades.

The Garden can be cheesed by going to the Baskar Inn and run through the growth timers. You can expend all your items for the highest breeding chance.

Your horse can jump over a certain out of the way area where monsters are way too strong to fight, but you can get enough levels to go through most of the game.

If a monster casts ailments or elemental attacks, and drops recovery items related to them, then they might be able to drop Personal Skills related to them.

Bosses in this game are generally easy. There are a lot of gimmicks and hidden weaknesses. Try all your magic on each of them.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Nick Buntline posted:

Character Creation
- Morale determines how much experience you gain in Sim Mode. Industrious increases morale when you do things you want to maximize your XP on, Smart increases morale when you do things that are easy to max anyway or give fixed amounts of skill points. Pick Industrious.

Great post, thanks for the info!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sniper Elite 3:
-Don't underestimate the flint and tinder. If you put a fire right next to a red barrel, it'll blow up just in time to catch the poor sap busy with checking out where that smoke is coming from.
-Mines, mines, mines. They require a specific mindset to use well but they're the single best way of dealing with larger patrols and (more importantly) vehicles. You can theoretically blow up a vehicle by sniping but it's a pain in the rear end until you unlock AP bullets and even then it's much easier to just drop a mine and watch the fireworks.
-Sniper Nests are nice but don't feel restricted by them - a lot of the time being right below it works just as well.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 19, 2016

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Thanks for the advice. If I ever get time to actually play games again I'll put it to good use.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What should I know before I play Rune Factory 4?

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

What should I know before I play Rune Factory 4?

-Keep up with the crafting system, especially for weapons and accessories. Cooking is also good, chemistry is less necessary.
-Be a crazy hoarder. You can use junk materials to grind crafting skills. (You can even grind weapon/accessory crafting using grasses).
-Bring party members with you (either people or monsters) whenever you can.
-If you get your rear end kicked even though you had party members, it's probably because your weapons/armor are out of date. Make better stuff and try again.
-Try to sell at least one of each crafting material; you can then buy them from Raven, which is a lot quicker than setting out to beat stuff up because you need another fang.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Got anything for Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Got anything for Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga?

Get good at timing. Timing is everything in this game and missing the timing on hit may as well be a complete miss.

Items are the only source of healing. They're plentiful though so you can pretty much go nuts with them.

On this note, Bros Attacks get an upgrade after you use them enough times so don't just save them for boss fights.

If one brother goes down, it becomes incredibly difficult for the other to defend himself, to the point where you could very well wipe even if the other brother is at full HP.

Stache is a Luck/Charisma stat that affects shops prices and Critical Hit rate.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Also if you want to break the game over your knee then when you eventually get to Fungitown, go into the badge shop and buy the Mush Badge A/AA, it increases your attack power the amount of normal Mushrooms that you have in your inventory, money is plentiful and regular mushrooms are cheap as hell.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well that's gonna be hilarious when I get there. I've been spending the few level ups I've gotten alternating between stache, pow, speed and bp. That seems to be a good place for the bonus points.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Any tips for Rise of Nations?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I bought Mortal Kombat XL to play with my friends and there's all this Factions stuff and XP and whatnot. What do I need to know? Are they like Dark Souls convenents?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

I bought Mortal Kombat XL to play with my friends and there's all this Factions stuff and XP and whatnot. What do I need to know? Are they like Dark Souls convenents?

For the most part you can ignore all that. There's a group of faction based fatalities that you can unlock if you care, all you do is pick a side and then fight battles or try to complete daily challenges to add points to your side. The winning side gets some extra Koins and you unlock more of your faciton's fatalities over time.

Its basically the houses from Harry Potter. You can choose to fight for Griffindor or Slytherin but its no big deal.

Note that you're allowed to pick any of them, so you could pick like the ninja clan and then play as Johnny Cage and use the ninja-clan fatalities even though he's not ninja-clan.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Someone write some words on Overwatch please, thanks in advance.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Alris posted:

Stay around/on the objective. Stay near/support your team. Have you played TF2? Use those skills.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alris posted:

This is just some quick thoughts about the three Heroes I mainly play as;

Reinhardt
This one's more for when you see someone else on your team as Reinhardt, but his Energy Shield can be shot through by friendlies. Don't go rushing in front of Reinhardt if he's putting himself between you and enemies, let him take the hits while you shoot through the shield.
I am trying to keep you dumbasses alive, stay behind your big tanky friend and shoot, don't run through my barrier and die like chumps :cripes:.

You have more range than you think; Your secondary skill is to lob energy shockwaves on a short cooldown that go as far as any other projectile and do decent damage.

Bastion will be the bane of your shield. His Sentry Mode gatling gun will burn through it like a knife through butter, and your energy shield is a big fat target for it.

Hold the fire button rather than tap it when trying to swing the Hammer. Reinhardt has a backswing too.

Bastion

Bastion is one of, maybe the only, Defense Hero that isn't really usable for straight-Offense too. His main gimmick is to switch from Recon (walk-and-shoot) to Sentry Mode, which is a static gatling turret and it's generally going to leave you out of where the fighting is as your guys push on. It's still usable for Escort missions (jump on the payload and ride it to glory :black101:) or capture-the-point missions once you've got it secured.

Don't go Sentry right where it's immediately convenient. Pick a spot that's slightly behind cover because you'll generally have the same firing range anyway, and you'll be much harder to hit.

Blind Corners are your friend for Sentry Mode. Don't necessarily set up where the fight currently is when you're on Defense, pick a spot you know they'll come through and wait around the corner to say hi.

Pharah
Spam rockets. Spam them all the time. Your reload is about as long as it takes to cycle a new rocket into the chamber anyway, so go nuts.

Learn how to use the Concussion Shot. It can bounce even Reinhardt away from whomever he's shielding, or (I think) it can knock Bastion out of Sentry Mode.

Learn when it's appropriate to use your Ultimate. Pharah makes a big target of herself when using it, and it helps if the enemy team's occupied with your buddies first.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Alris posted:

I have played less than 3 hours of TF2 and I hate it, but I'm loving Overwatch.

-If a given tactic isn't working out for you at any point, change heroes. It's totally okay to switch multiple times over the course of a game.

-Don't be afraid to play a tank or support if it's not your thing. They are a great benefit to the team when no one else will do it and you have three Hanzo players.

-Basically, don't be afraid to screw up. All the heroes have something cool and useful going for them.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Alris posted:

- Take all the characters through training mode to just get a little bit of a grasp of what they do, what their ultimates are, and what their movement is like.

- The game's built around switching characters frequently; if you/your team is having trouble swap over to a character good at solving the problem for a bit. For example, if you're getting wrecked by Bastions:

- Keep your ears open - enemies have (much) louder footsteps than your own team's + enemy ults have a different voiceclip than friendly ults. There's even a toggle to turn on Dolby Atmos if you have surround sound headphones that's probably a good idea to hit.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

For the love of God, don't run in and die pointlessly. Trickling in and getting killed does your team no good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777220

Here's the dedicated Overwatch thread.