Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The story is resolved in Acceptance, Vandermeer just doesn't blatantly spell it out for you.

e: Actually now that I think about it, it's not even that you have to dig very deep to understand what happens in the end, you just have to pay a minimal amount of attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ornamented Death posted:

The story is resolved in Acceptance, Vandermeer just doesn't blatantly spell it out for you.

e: Actually now that I think about it, it's not even that you have to dig very deep to understand what happens in the end, you just have to pay a minimal amount of attention.

I really don't think that was the case, while writing these posts I checked the wiki pages on the books and while you get around a page about the plot of each of the first two books entire summary of the third book is "Acceptance jumps around in time and between the perspectives of all of the characters from the first two books. It brings us back into Area X, but ultimately provides little in the way of answers."

Stories with unreliable narrators were you have to piece everything up to try and figure out what is really going on are my favorite. The "ending" wasn't clever, it was vague and unsatisfactory, I didn't say he didn't give you anything, that's why I called back on Lost.

But hey, maybe my mind did slip and I missed some crucial aspect, could you please PM me your take on what happens, what caused it, etc?

e: for comparison Roadside Picnic gives zero answers but has a completely satisfactory ending and I love that story.

e2: the name of the last book is great because you have to Accept that the story just ends and enjoy it for what it was

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 11, 2016

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

By all means, elucidate.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Megazver posted:

By all means, elucidate.

Here's what I PM'd to MeLKor:

I haven't read it since it came out, but as I recall, there's what amounts to an alien terraforming device at the top of the light house and that's what's made Area X so drat weird. And the end of the book, it breaks whatever containment kept the effect limited to Area X and the world is basically hosed, and all for nothing as the beings that created it are extinct.

I cannot remember if it was ever revealed what, exactly, was keeping everything in check.

The book also answers a lot of questions about the backstory, like showing that the man in the picture of the light house wasn't actually part of the cause of Area X kicking off, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and it was actually a goofy band of misfits loving with alien technology they didn't understand.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Is Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl based off Roadside Picnic at all? Having areas where wonky stuff happens and the government tries to keep it under wraps and people called "Stalkers" that steal stuff from it seems, well, a lot like Shadow of Chernobyl.

E: Nevermind it definitely is.

Magres fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 12, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It's Roadside Picnic themed but none of the plot. It's proread by the way.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Just got an email from Amazon saying that The Hanging Tree won't be out until January 3rd, 2017.

:(

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I'm just glad to hear The Giving Tree is finally getting a sequel.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
A six month push on top of everything else? Balls. That means there's nothing else I'm really looking forward to for the rest of the year now.

Starting The Rook for the first time. About 10% in and it's only barely holding my interest. The mystery of it all isn't really strong enough to carry me along while waiting for poo poo to actually happen.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mortanis posted:

A six month push on top of everything else? Balls. That means there's nothing else I'm really looking forward to for the rest of the year now.

Starting The Rook for the first time. About 10% in and it's only barely holding my interest. The mystery of it all isn't really strong enough to carry me along while waiting for poo poo to actually happen.

The same happened to me. I put it back on my "to read" list and haven't felt any compelling need to get to it anytime soon.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The Rook is one of those things that really benefits from listening to the Audiobook version of it vs. just reading it.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Just got an email from Amazon saying that The Hanging Tree won't be out until January 3rd, 2017.

:(

Amazon just make up release dates for books when they're not sure - the publisher site says the 23rd of August for now.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ookiimarukochan posted:

Amazon just make up release dates for books when they're not sure - the publisher site says the 23rd of August for now.

That's for the UK. It's entirely possible the US publisher pushed the date back any number of reasons (or no reason).

For this reason, among others, I often import books that come out in the UK first.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh whew. Yeah I was already planning on preordering the Waterstones editions of Hanging Tree.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Wade Wilson posted:

The Rook is one of those things that really benefits from listening to the Audiobook version of it vs. just reading it.

Thanks. I'll probably switch over to the audiobook rather than fight myself on reading it.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I'm just glad to hear The Giving Tree is finally getting a sequel.

Yeah, man. That was my favorite tear-jerker growing up. Good to see Silverstein is still able to keep things fresh.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Blasphemeral posted:

Yeah, man. That was my favorite tear-jerker growing up. Good to see Silverstein is still able to keep things fresh.

Pretty impressive for a guy that died in 1999.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Magres posted:

Is Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl based off Roadside Picnic at all? Having areas where wonky stuff happens and the government tries to keep it under wraps and people called "Stalkers" that steal stuff from it seems, well, a lot like Shadow of Chernobyl.

E: Nevermind it definitely is.

It's inspired by Roadside Picnic, in that theres a mysterious zone with weird anomalies, but Roadside Picnic's plot is very different (nothing to do with Chernobyl).

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 17, 2016

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Mr.48 posted:

It's inspired by Roadside Picnic, in that theres a mysterious zone with weird anomalies, but Roadside Picnic's plot is very different (nothing to do with Chernobyl).

I really liked Roadside Picnic, so it's a shame to hear about something so similar in concept, but missing the mark. :-/

Wade Wilson posted:

Pretty impressive for a guy that died in 1999.

:thejoke:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Blasphemeral posted:

I really liked Roadside Picnic, so it's a shame to hear about something so similar in concept, but missing the mark. :-/

It doesn't miss the mark. It just goes in a different direction right from the start.

It's still quite good.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Binged through the three Black Magic Outlaw books the past two days. It's not the greatest series I've read, but it works to scratch the Dresden itch for a few days.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Read something a little different the other day, though still basically an urban fantasy novel focused on a 'detective' character: The Curse of Jacob Tracy by Sarah Messinger https://www.amazon.com/Curse-Jacob-Tracy-Novel-ebook/dp/B00H6EFCNI/ref=pd_ybh_a_40?ie=UTF8&refRID=R3TXRJRQBM1EJSMA6KC5

It was pretty satisfying and had an interesting historical setting with no steampunk crap, which is important to me for some reason. The writing was solid for the most part. The plot had an odd structure, like a series of short stories had been cobbled together to make a novel, and the interactions between a couple of the main characters were oddly repetitive and annoying without really evolving much, but otherwise it was a good read.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
The Devil You Know by Mike Carey is today's Daily Deal on Audible. http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/The-Devil-You-Know-Audiobook/B002V0121I/

Haven't read/listened to it yet but from I recall some goons in this very thread liked it and Carey is a good writer so... There.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Libriomancer and the second book were ok but gods be good David DeVries is a god awful Narrator

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Dresden Files Card Game Kickstarter is down to 30 hours to go.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

General Emergency posted:

The Devil You Know by Mike Carey is today's Daily Deal on Audible. http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/The-Devil-You-Know-Audiobook/B002V0121I/

Haven't read/listened to it yet but from I recall some goons in this very thread liked it and Carey is a good writer so... There.

Hm. I'm kind of digging the audio sample. What the hell.

Also, just noticed this and gnabbed it. http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/The-Complete-Sherlock-Holmes-Audiobook/B00FEFE4XK

Don't think it counts as Urban Fantasy really since the explanations for things always ended up mundane, but hey, it's a classic.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Good news for any Schaefer fans- there will be more Harmony Black stuff, and soon. http://craig-schaefer-v2.squarespace.com/blog/2016/5/17/more-harmony-on-the-way

Also nice to see him acknowledge that the romance subplot is super clunky, and that he's gonna be adjusting/minimizing it going forward.

(Spoilers for the epilogue scene of Red Knight Falling there, just FYI.)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

OmniBeer posted:

Good news for any Schaefer fans- there will be more Harmony Black stuff, and soon. http://craig-schaefer-v2.squarespace.com/blog/2016/5/17/more-harmony-on-the-way

Also nice to see him acknowledge that the romance subplot is super clunky, and that he's gonna be adjusting/minimizing it going forward.

This is great news, but to be fair, there were always going to be more Harmony Black books; Schaefer stated in another blog post that part of his contract was that the rights to the series would revert back to him in the event 47North didn't order any more books (he went on to say that he'll never not finish a series he's started). This just means we'll get them a little sooner since he'll be under contract to have them out by certain dates.

Regarding that (non)spoiler he mentioned... I can't remember who the hell Adam is, and I just finished RKF. I'm also not sure who readers seem to hate so much; I don't recall have any real problems with anyone.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 18, 2016

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

OmniBeer posted:

On the one hand, that romance subplot is super clunky, but I have to give Schaefer points for giving Harmony a love interest who isn't some controlling alpha male douchebag or, even worse, a gender flipped version of Caitlin (who is herself a gender flipped take on any number of UF/PR supernatural boyfriends who are the beneficiaries of utterly ridiculous power imbalances that are probably a little unhealthy).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So here's an interesting Dresden thing

Kemmler was killed off 'for good' in 1961. Depending on how precise that 'halloween turns off immortality' clause is, Jim might have repeated himself with the cause of death.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Ornamented Death posted:

This is great news, but to be fair, there were always going to be more Harmony Black books; Schaefer stated in another blog post that part of his contract was that the rights to the series would revert back to him in the event 47North didn't order any more books (he went on to say that he'll never not finish a series he's started). This just means we'll get them a little sooner since he'll be under contract to have them out by certain dates.

Regarding that (non)spoiler he mentioned... I can't remember who the hell Adam is, and I just finished RKF. I'm also not sure who readers seem to hate so much; I don't recall have any real problems with anyone.

I like James and Connolly better, but that right there is one reason I'm a fan. Dude doesn't get halfway through a series and sit on the last book for a decade because he's bored of writing and gently caress the fans. His work ethic is insane and he just wants to tell awesome stories and make readers happy. (And he actually works at trying to become a better writer and improve himself.)

About the (non)spoiler, Adam is the Network guy from the RKF epilogue who gives Bobby Deal a job offer. The witches in the Revanche books have knives that cut holes in the world and let them travel from place to place, exactly the way Adam does when he shows up in Bobby's den. They also draw power from the Shadow In-Between, which in RKF is what Wehner von Braun called the realm where the Kings live.. In other words, the nonspoiler spoiler is an acknowledgement that Schaefer is doing his own Cosmere thing where all the books are connected.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Blasphemeral posted:

Echoing what Megazver said a little, STALKER definitely doesn't miss the mark, it's just aiming to be something that takes inspiration from Roadside Picnic instead of "Roadside Picnic: The Game." It's a fantastic game that's got great fluff

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Tunicate posted:

So here's an interesting Dresden thing

Kemmler was killed off 'for good' in 1961. Depending on how precise that 'halloween turns off immortality' clause is, Jim might have repeated himself with the cause of death.

Well, that's gonna be my personal theory now. :black101:

Nickaroni
Feb 16, 2014

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Well, that's gonna be my personal theory now. :black101:

It gets better when you consider who Kemmler and the last Summer Knight were implied to be.

The Word of Heinrich Kemmler

Heinrich Kemmler

...Heinrich Himmler.

And Evil Bob was wearing a SS uniform in Ghost Story...

Sadly we will never get a story about Summer Knight Tolkien kicking Nazi rear end in World War II

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Wait Tolkien is implied to have been the last Summer Knight? Kickin rad

Nickaroni
Feb 16, 2014

Magres posted:

Wait Tolkien is implied to have been the last Summer Knight? Kickin rad

Harry mentions in Summer Knight that his name was 'Ronald Reuel.'

The kindly old man who protected Lily and Fix, and stood up to the Winter Knight.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm almost certain that was an homage to Tolkien rather than a hint that Tolkien was the Summer Knight.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Nickaroni posted:

Harry mentions in Summer Knight that his name was 'Ronald Reuel.'

The kindly old man who protected Lily and Fix, and stood up to the Winter Knight.

Oh I had no idea that the RR in JRR was Ronal Reuel.

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm almost certain that was an homage to Tolkien rather than a hint that Tolkien was the Summer Knight.

No fuckin way, Tolkien was 100% the Summer Knight and there is nothing you can say to convince me otherwise. It's too awesome to not be true :colbert:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
How the gently caress I've never undeerstood that reference before :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Magres posted:

No fuckin way, Tolkien was 100% the Summer Knight and there is nothing you can say to convince me otherwise. It's too awesome to not be true :colbert:

I guess it's not the dumbest thing people in this thread have believed over the years.