Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I feel like dark souls puts in a swamp area with limited movement more out of habit than thinking "I've got a great idea and it just so happens a swamp is the best setting"

Time for the swamp area, I guess. (Says some guy who works on the game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What if we put the swamp level in the sewer level

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I wish they'd brought back upper blight-town at least, unless I missed something there wasn't any super-rickety rooftop rumble. Exploring those hells was always fun.

Internet Kraken posted:

Except as I outlined, almost all the enemies in the swamp are weak as hell so it doesn't matter that I'm moving slow. Basilisks are just as lovely and weak in the swamp as they are on land. I don't even know why the slugs exist. The vicars are a complete pain in the rear end, but that's true even on land. You're better off just avoiding them which isn't hard. And the poison does so little damage you can't even pretend its an issue. Oh noooo, I'll have one less estus flask! The horror.

The only way I play differently in Farron Keep is I mapped out the quickest way to get what I want out of it and then get the gently caress out. I haven't bothered to do that for other areas because they are actually, you know, fun.

Unless you've read up ahead of time or heard about it from somewhere else, I'd assume most players would assume poison is as bad as it has always been and go out of their way to avoid or cure it. Sure, you'll know better by NG+, but the poison serves its purpose on a first playthrough.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Trick Question posted:

Unless you've read up ahead of time or heard about it from somewhere else, I'd assume most players would assume poison is as bad as it has always been and go out of their way to avoid or cure it. Sure, you'll know better by NG+, but the poison serves its purpose on a first playthrough.

You get poisoned once, see it does absolutely trivial damage, and then you never care about it again. That's how I went through it. I'm not sure why you'd think you wouldn't that without spoilers. You can see how much damage its doing to you.

oldpainless posted:

I feel like dark souls puts in a swamp area with limited movement more out of habit than thinking "I've got a great idea and it just so happens a swamp is the best setting"

Which is why I actually liked Shrine of Amana. They made a 'swamp' level that was basically the opposite of what veteran players were used to.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 18, 2016

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Iretep posted:

blight town was the baby mode of swamps. bring back valley of defilement!

haha wow....did u even play kings field

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The entirety of the poison damage caused by regular poison is cured by like... 1.5 Estus. And this is caused over a span of five minutes or something completely absurd. Regular poison is such a complete non-issue that the poison swamp seems like it was added out of tradition than anything else.

In all honesty, the deep water kind of makes the fight against the Cleric Beast lookalikes a little more interesting because it messes up your rolls, but that's about it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

oldpainless posted:

I want to make it clear that the last line when the guy says "time for the swamp area, I guess" is probsbly said in Japanese and not English as it was a Japanese company making the game but I assumed most people reading this would know English and not Japanese and took the liberty. I apologize for any confusion.

I also called my friend who does speak Japanese and had him translate the line for me so I will recreate it below for those who prefer authenticity.

Timu desu desu moshi swampu (in Japanese accent)

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Trick Question posted:

no.

this is my first time through the swamp.

"ah gently caress, poison town again? i am so over this poo poo. yep, here we go, walking anywhere makes me more poisoned. well gently caress, i'm just going to run through this lovely place looking for the exit, no stopping. run run run run run gently caress i'm poisoned now run run run wait, is that all the damage it's doing? whoa, i guess they decided to throw you a bone this time around and made the poison damage trivial. maybe i'll just take my time and explore . . .

OH HOLY gently caress DID GODZILLA JUST START CHASING ME WITH A BANJO?"

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Dazzling Addar posted:

I have had four invasions in a row where I spawned in the closest possible spot to the boss door, immediately took off at a dead sprint towards it, and still did not make it in time to so much as breathe on the host angrily before they popped into the boss fog. I'm not sure if there's a way around this in terms of design but boy I wish there was.

Then again, I've also gotten some invasions where the host was -already fighting the boss- and I simply waited at the fog door and got my rewards when the Dragonslayer Armor clobbered them. This game's netcode is... interesting...

I had an issue earlier with being summoned at aldrich as a sunbro for a laggy player who just kinda floated with no animation into the boss fog and I wasn't able to go through the fog door or even attack through.
But Aldrich sure could!
After the host died i got summoned by him again 5 minutes later without a single hint of lag and the fight went perfectly fine. Was this game horribly rushed or something? Because I think Ive seen more weird glitchy poo poo in this game then I have in all the other souls games and bloodborne combined.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Digirat posted:

How powerful have you found offensive miracles for most of the game? I read lightning spears were underpowered to the point of uselessness but still wanted to try a miracle build.

I just tried miracles for the first time about 16 hours ago. I never used a single one until I respecced my SL90 character into a pure Faith build.

At SL 99 with 60 Faith/24 Attunement/27 Vigor/19 Dexterity, using Sunlight Spear (From LoC transposition) pretty exclusively, I could wreck most bosses. Dancer and Twin Princes are jokes because they give you tons of time to throw a spear then roll, but THE CHAMP pushed my poo poo in so much I'm waiting until I can play with a friend to beat him. I've been using a Lightning Infused Astora Straight Sword or Painted Guardian's Sword. Both do decent damage, but nothing spectacular. Rings are Sun's First Born/Lightning Clutch for damage, and Sage's Ring because the virtual Dexterity is, imo, super important. I'll get Morne's Ring probably on NG+. I have a Grasscrest shield just hanging out on my back for the minor stamina regen and in case I need to try and parry.

The biggest issue is the staggeringly tiny amount of FP you have. I can use exactly 3 Sunlight Spears, or 4-5 Lightning Stakes, before I need to Flask. This means I have to allot at least 8 (or my current 11) flasks for that alone. When I get summoned I have 4 flasks, which has been usually just enough to finish off most bosses with another player. I guess if you wanted to go glass cannon you could drop down to like 10 Strength/Dexterity and no Endurance to have a bunch more FP, but it really just feels like you'll never be able to reliably chuck spears without a regen mechanic, which obviously isn't ideal.

On the PvP front, it's hard to say. I'm pretty garbage at dueling so I'm not really sure how effective the build actually is. For fun-haver invasions it's pretty easy to get off one sunlight spear as an opening attack if they're not expecting you to suddenly sling lightning. The Sage Ring+20 Dexterity seems absolutely vital in PvP to make sure your spellcast times are at a minimum. Lightning Stake can one-shot just about anyone, but you have to be literally point blank to hit them, and it's got a long enough wind-up that you're not going to do that to anyone who's awake. The trick is to throw a spear or two, and then "accidentally" stand just a bit to close, but switch to your lightning stake and cast it. The cast animation looks exactly the same as Sunlight Spear, so if they take the bait you can smite them. But again, that works exactly one time. The thing is you're not really a caster, you have to be up in people's face, which makes it difficult since I have no armor and only 27 Vigor.

Overall though it's actually really fun. Getting a Lightning Stake on someone is badass, and one-shotting enemies with a Sunlight Spear rules. What I want to do now is get up to SL120 and add a bunch more points into Dexterity, maybe go 30/60 Dex/Faith. I want to use Swordspear, which Painter's Sword as a backup, and rely mostly on offensive Miracles but jump in and out with the spear for poke.

Since the Swordspear has innate Lighting damage, and my Painter's in Lightning Infused, do you guys think it would be better to drop down to like 40/50 Dex/Faith, or keep the Faith at the soft cap and just go for like 30 Dex so I can put a bunch more into Endurance and Vigor? I don't think the scaling is that great on the Swordspear for Dexterity anyway, and I want to stay primarily Lightning based. I was thinking about dropping my Attunement down to 18, which will free up 6 points and I'd still have spell slots enough for Sunlight Spear and Lightning Stake, but I'll be short on FP I think.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Do you lose half your Ashen Estus as a phantom too? That's kind of crappy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFMhzyx3Gr8

I'm sorry game I won't invade again

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Poison I can take or leave. What I really hate is having to go slow.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

My only real complaint with Farron is that it's visually boring. There are screens of an earlier version from the leak last year that looked a lot better. It was dusk and torches were the main light source. Much moodier and prettier, and tied it even closer to Darkroot (Color scheme was blues, purples, greens). I imagined it changed so that all the locations would have the same time of day, except for the ones that have story reasons for being different.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Since the Swordspear has innate Lighting damage, and my Painter's in Lightning Infused, do you guys think it would be better to drop down to like 40/50 Dex/Faith, or keep the Faith at the soft cap and just go for like 30 Dex so I can put a bunch more into Endurance and Vigor? I don't think the scaling is that great on the Swordspear for Dexterity anyway, and I want to stay primarily Lightning based. I was thinking about dropping my Attunement down to 18, which will free up 6 points and I'd still have spell slots enough for Sunlight Spear and Lightning Stake, but I'll be short on FP I think.

I'm not sure there's any great way, caster builds are so seriously starved of points compared to melee builds, especially if you want to use an interesting weapon like the swordspear. I usually wind up using a stat ring (favor/chain/priestess) and giving up some damage or cast speed if I'm at ~20-30 dex.

I kinda wish they'd relax the stamina drain on spells a little so casters can afford to go lower on endurance as a point of difference from every other build.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bugblatter posted:

My only real complaint with Farron is that it's visually boring. There are screens of an earlier version from the leak last year that looked a lot better. It was dusk and torches were the main light source. Much moodier and prettier, and tied it even closer to Darkroot (Color scheme was blues, purples, greens). I imagined it changed so that all the locations would have the same time of day, except for the ones that have story reasons for being different.

Hmm, although that would have been a nice progression, from daytime in lothric/settlement, ??? in woods/cathedral, evening in farron's, underground, then night in irithyll,

then... day again, I guess, in Profane Capital, except you're underground so it's just slim beams, eclipse, and a nice sunny break over at archdragon peak

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
...I just realized that its sunny in Archdragon even when every other area is eclipsed. Guess that leans in favor of the theory that its one big dream.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

...I just realized that its sunny in Archdragon even when every other area is eclipsed. Guess that leans in favor of the theory that its one big dream.

What, you don't have your very own sun for your vacation home?

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

You get poisoned once, see it does absolutely trivial damage, and then you never care about it again. That's how I went through it. I'm not sure why you'd think you wouldn't that without spoilers. You can see how much damage its doing to you.

homeless poster posted:

no.

this is my first time through the swamp.

"ah gently caress, poison town again? i am so over this poo poo. yep, here we go, walking anywhere makes me more poisoned. well gently caress, i'm just going to run through this lovely place looking for the exit, no stopping. run run run run run gently caress i'm poisoned now run run run wait, is that all the damage it's doing? whoa, i guess they decided to throw you a bone this time around and made the poison damage trivial. maybe i'll just take my time and explore . . .

OH HOLY gently caress DID GODZILLA JUST START CHASING ME WITH A BANJO?"

I didn't want to die of poison so I just ran from island to island, waiting for the poison meter to level off in between, and using some purple herb to cure it when I hosed up. Yes, I know it does basically nothing now, but on my first trip through the swamp the psychological aspect was definitely there.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Trick Question posted:

I wish they'd brought back upper blight-town at least, unless I missed something there wasn't any super-rickety rooftop rumble. Exploring those hells was always fun.

Farron swamp wouldn't have been too bad if there were narrow, ewok-esque walkways above the sludge like the rafters back at anor londo. If you get knocked off into the shitpit you gotta deal with the waist high poison & slugs as normal but if you can manage to keep your footing against all odds at least you have the high road.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Doesn't the sky change there depending on how you end the game?

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Honestly, aside from going slowly, I'm just kind of bored of poison swamps. They're ugly and tedious and they have gross enemies. I liked the poison gas areas in Harvest Valley from 2 because it was a different, visually distinct way of introducing a familiar mechanic and then they had to go put Sludge Classic in Earthen Keep and I was sad.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Praise the swamp ya dirtbags

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

hampig posted:

I kinda wish they'd relax the stamina drain on spells a little so casters can afford to go lower on endurance as a point of difference from every other build.

This would be fuckin' great, it seems really off-kilter that casters rely as much on the same 'do stuff' resource as melee do in addition to their limited-refills special 'do stuff' resource. Like, you already want 20 levels more in your main damage stat than melee do, now pump two resource stats instead of one.

P.S. Also enjoy forgoing any of the quirky rings with cool effects we put in, three or four of those slots must also be sacrificed at the altar of magic. Dance, little casters, dance!

e: Regarding the '20 more stats' thing I know quality builds exist but that's just a sharp or heavy build eating Marie Antoinette's cake.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

While the blighttown swamp was a bland, desaturated brown, the farron keep swamp features a slight hint of green to complement its bland, desaturated brown, which is perhaps a callback to the maroon-tinted brown of the valley of defilement swamp. Most series veterans agree that the bright green of the harvest valley swamp was overstated and clear evidence of the B-team's inferiority. Unsurprisingly, their attempt at replicating the magic of From's hallmark level design, the giant low-mobility poison swamp full of identical enemies, was amateurish.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Melanion posted:

This would be fuckin' great, it seems really off-kilter that casters rely as much on the same 'do stuff' resource as melee do in addition to their limited-refills special 'do stuff' resource. Like, you already want 20 levels more in your main damage stat than melee do, now pump two resource stats instead of one.

P.S. Also enjoy forgoing any of the quirky rings with cool effects we put in, three or four of those slots must also be sacrificed at the altar of magic. Dance, little casters, dance!

Cant dance, out of stamina

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Internet Kraken posted:

Except as I outlined, almost all the enemies in the swamp are weak as hell so it doesn't matter that I'm moving slow. Basilisks are just as lovely and weak in the swamp as they are on land. I don't even know why the slugs exist. The vicars are a complete pain in the rear end, but that's true even on land. You're better off just avoiding them which isn't hard. And the poison does so little damage you can't even pretend its an issue. Oh noooo, I'll have one less estus flask! The horror.

The only way I play differently in Farron Keep is I mapped out the quickest way to get what I want out of it and then get the gently caress out. I haven't bothered to do that for other areas because they are actually, you know, fun.

it's impressive that you can post on a forum while being this dense

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I didnt even map out the area. I just kept running and somehow lit all the fires and stumbled on the bonfires and ran around til I found the door from the cutscene then got the hell out of there. I've no idea what it looks like or where everything is in relation to one another.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

it's impressive that you can post on a forum while being this dense

I'm sorry you're so bad at the game that the basilisks and slugs in Farron Keep actually gave you trouble.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm sorry you're so bad at the game that the basilisks and slugs in Farron Keep actually gave you trouble.

i'm actually disappointed in myself that it took me this many posts to get you to poo poo out some "git gud" garbage

hard counter posted:

Farron swamp wouldn't have been too bad if there were narrow, ewok-esque walkways above the sludge like the rafters back at anor londo. If you get knocked off into the shitpit you gotta deal with the waist high poison & slugs as normal but if you can manage to keep your footing against all odds at least you have the high road.

this would have been cool as hell

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
EDIT: You know what this isn't even worth getting into a slap fight over.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 18, 2016

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Rings I don't care about but why doesn't the big dumb wizard hat give the same or more magic power as the Dusk Crown?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, I figure the change is largely so the areas that are in separate times are clearly done so for story reasons. Lets you know something's up with Archdragon/Firelink/Irithyl.

Chard posted:

Doesn't the sky change there depending on how you end the game?

Isn't that a bug one guy found? It didn't work for me.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 18, 2016

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

Rings I don't care about but why doesn't the big dumb wizard hat give the same or more magic power as the Dusk Crown?

Karlas hat and big hat should. Don't force casters to wear those lovely anime ears

And bring back the traveling merchant set, if you are going to have us farm for weapons, armor and covenant items.

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 18, 2016

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I thought Farron Keep had a neat atmosphere, a few great easter eggs, and a great intimidation factor the first time through. Most of the enemies aren't a problem, but those that can be, namely the totemic giants and the leaping ghru, aren't overly tedious to take down to make up for how dangerous they are.

The deep-water parts only made for a challenge when dealing with basilisks, and poison is so weak in this game that it's a complete non-factor.

Iretep posted:

blight town was the baby mode of swamps. bring back valley of defilement!

Valley of Defilement, namely 5-2, is still utterly untouched for how cruel, unforgiving, and utterly vile in both scenic details and dangers a Souls swamp level can be. And a part of me calls it my favorite for exactly that reason. :getin:

By the way, if anyone has tried invading me ("Bogatyr Maral") tonight, I apologize for the fact that my framerate craps out generally at exactly the time I'm charging your phantom and boots me offline. :v:

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Side from being able to breath fire, what do the dragon head/torso actually do? Do they give any ar/bonuses?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

McKilligan posted:

Side from being able to breath fire, what do the dragon head/torso actually do? Do they give any ar/bonuses?

The torso roar acts like a mini-Force (stagger + shield-busting capabilities afaik) that also boosts your attack for a few seconds. It might also increase your unarmed damage.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Deep water was okay for that one section in Irithyll where it's tense and you're slowed.

In Farron is makes the place feel twice as long to get through.

Also just put in the stupid ring for it because everybody's just getting past it by having a dagger equipped instead.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

What the

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ah you found the bonus stage.