Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Rainy Pass Tailor should be able to fix it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
It's a little inconvenient

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A friend of mine has a Deuter that looks kind of like that, I'll see if she can tell me the model name.

Pretty sure it's like this one http://www.deuter.com/US/us/day-packs/airlite-22-4420315-2065.html

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

qirex posted:

A friend of mine has a Deuter that looks kind of like that, I'll see if she can tell me the model name.

Pretty sure it's like this one http://www.deuter.com/US/us/day-packs/airlite-22-4420315-2065.html

It looks perfect, but... well, my 70l trekking backpack was more expensive, but not by much. I'm tempted to just get the old one repaired

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

hackbunny posted:

It looks perfect, but... well, my 70l trekking backpack was more expensive, but not by much. I'm tempted to just get the old one repaired

The site I got linked to shows it for $80, though? You're not likely to get a decent backpack for under that, I thought you were talking about something like $300+.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

PT6A posted:

The site I got linked to shows it for $80, though? You're not likely to get a decent backpack for under that, I thought you were talking about something like $300+.

The backpack I'm replacing was ~25€ new, they quoted me 20€ for replacing the zippers, combined it's about half the price of that Deuter. I could repair my current backpack two more times before it costed me that kind of money

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Wow, well, then you should definitely get it repaired. I don't think I've seen a decent backpack for under $80, so you got lucky the first time I think. I think I'm going to go with the Tortuga when my current carrymax backpack dies, and that's like $170.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
gently caress it reading this thread makes me wanna get a real bag. My transporter 45 is a decent duffel and fills up with my packing cubes but poo poo gets sloshed around too easily. Probably going to splurge on porter 45. Any alternatives? I don't mind spending crazy amount of money

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a decent hiking backpack in the 33L or above category for less than $80 either, not counting blow out sales and Black Friday.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I have no idea how they do it, but the Decathlon store brand stuff always has an absolutely insane value for the money.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Nthing that decent price acts are $80-100+. I've been looking for a decent replacement bag for years now, and I'm starting to think it'll be worth paying $200 to get the bag of my dreams. Stupid features.

I figure if it lasts 10 years like the last one then $20 a year isn't too bad.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Best deal I ever got was a Deuter Air Contact (not the lite version, 5 lbs lol) 65L + 10L for $130, but that's not for casual travel. The Porter series seems fine, but I kinda wish I had gone with a Patagonia MLC. There are way, way more times I'm carrying my commuter daypack with gym clothes in it and wish I had a shoulder strap bag for my weekend stuff to carry at the same time.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
gently caress icebreaker shirts don't come cheap.

Material feels nice and texture similar to cotton. But drat that price tag

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

caberham posted:

gently caress icebreaker shirts don't come cheap.

Material feels nice and texture similar to cotton. But drat that price tag

Icebreaker has regular sales I believe.

Going to re-ask for pants suggestions. Going on a safari, need something that's sweat resistant as gently caress.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

Going to re-ask for pants suggestions. Going on a safari, need something that's sweat resistant as gently caress.

Where for the safari? If in Kenya or Tanzania then it's going to be a LOT colder than you think, since eveything is at like 2000m elevation. Just fyi, I know some people who go there and think "Africa" and pack a bunch of shorts and freeze their asses off

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Saladman posted:

Where for the safari? If in Kenya or Tanzania then it's going to be a LOT colder than you think, since eveything is at like 2000m elevation. Just fyi, I know some people who go there and think "Africa" and pack a bunch of shorts and freeze their asses off

Tanzania yeah, but I suffer from shameful buttswamp.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Khul or however you say it makes some pretty drat nice pants. A lighter no frills pair was great for hiking and lasted about 9months of hard use before literally falling apart over six days in a Bolivian jungle. Kinda pricy but really good,just try them on first as the sizing is weird like all pants these days.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Mango Polo posted:

I'm really happy with Bluffworks (http://shop.bluffworks.com/). The fabric is lighter than most pants but pretty tough, and they're actually pretty good about being wrinkle resistant. The zipper pockets are fantastic if you're in a city that has a lot of pickpockets, too.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Buffworks are decent, but I think the new, slightly stretchy ones are 100% better feeling then the old ones. The hidden zipper pockets suck though, they scratch your hands every time you reach into your pockets.

I have tried more expensive tech pants, and while they are are better then buffworks, they are not $100 better.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Does anyone have suggestions for a laptop/tablet stand to use on the airplane? Something elevate the screen up to eye level.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

.Z. posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for a laptop/tablet stand to use on the airplane? Something elevate the screen up to eye level.

I'd say best bet is the bag you brought it in plus something you can stack like books and skymall catalogs. No need to take up space for something you'll use twice.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

.Z. posted:

If you get an X or T series Thinkpad, the display rotates more than 180 degrees, so you can open it flat and lean it against the seat in front of you. That's what I've been doing the last 4 years. The hinges will happily do that all day long.

Otherwise I have a grippy clamp thing I use to prop up my cell phone to watch movies, but the Thinkpad comes drat near everywhere with me so it doesn't get much use.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Got linked here from the SEA thread and this is changing my life and my whole plan, but also making me probably spend some more money.

I'm heading to Leh, Ladakh on Monday, was going to do a checked bag even though I hate doing this, but now I have re-converted back to trying to make everything fit in a single carry-on bag + my "personal item." Once I get on that side I will have to stow a bag for the flight to Leh but that's no big deal.

You've talked me out of my boots, swapping to a tried and true pair of grey rockports. I'll wear a comfortable worn pair of dockers and pack another pair of slacks.

For shirts, I haven't been to India. A pair of button up shirts and a jacket probably suffices, yeah?

Alright, I have tidying to do around the house and then I will set out in search of a lightweight pack that will work for this - I have a camping/hiking pack but I don't think it's a good idea here, they are weirdly shaped for carry-on. My other luggage is rigid body rolling luggage that weight like 40 pounds empty and is stupid as hell. I'll have to head to a travel store for that and spend even more monies (just bought a disposable computer yesterday).

Is there a particular kind of barsoap you like for cleaning clothes, or just buy whatever the locals use?

I'm staying in a monastery for 3 weeks and then I'm camping outside a different monastery for 2 weeks, incidentally. The "oh goddamnit" kink in the plan of traveling super lightweight was that I need to take about 8 lbs of colored sand with me to give to the first monastery, or I'd be fine with a normal backpack and personal item.

Because of the weight of that sand it's highly likely I'm going to have to check a bag regardless. In that case, I have a heavy duty camping duffel that weighs like 3 pounds empty, is there any reason to use rigid body checked baggage? Nothing fragile or expensive is going in that bag, just a bunch of sand and maybe some clothes because if I need to check a bag anyhow I might as well use the weight.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 9, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Soft duffle is better as it conforms to shapes and can be squeezed into places. Unless you have a priceless Ming vase or something.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Need more info on this whole colored sand thing. More curious than anything else

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

Need more info on this whole colored sand thing. More curious than anything else

I'm heading to a monastery where I'll be staying for about three weeks for training in Tibetan Buddhist ritual stuff, and I was told by my Lama that a good gift to take them for having me is colored sand for making mandalas. Apparently it is just ridiculously expensive in India and hard to come by - you can get it, but it's like a big ticket item there. So he suggested as a gift I should take colored sand in the 6 colors used in sand mandalas to give them.

Fortunately I get to ditch that stuff immediately when I get there, unfortunately that doesn't help much with the packing arrangement. Frees up some weight for the return trip tho I guess haha

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

If anyone needs a 40L on the cheap and is looking RIGHT NOW Amazon might have you covered. I don't even need one and I'm thinking of ordering because drat...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013OQ9PR...FH9G6MXTP4YCF75

Edit: This looks like another case of massively inflated MSRP...thought it was just a great deal on Prime day. Whoops...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Looks like it'd be good for commuting and inter/tra city travel but camping? Looks like it weights a ton.

oompah
Apr 17, 2013
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good slim fit travel blazer or sport coat? I'd like to buy it ready to wear, as my trip is in 2 weeks and I won't have time to get it tailored - not sure what is possible though, as I wear ~43 extra long.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
If you care about a great fit you'll have to get it tailored or actually go in person to stores and try on a bunch until you find a perfect one, unless you already have a blazer that fit perfectly without tailoring, in which case buy the same brand and fit. By travel blazer, you mean one that won't get wrinkled? Anything in wool will work and anything in cotton won't. Anything in other fabrics will look terrible, like this monstrosity: https://wanelo.com/p/18736240/men-s-victorinox-swiss-army-water-repellent-insulated-travel-blazer

Unless you have some super specific travel needs that mixes both "business casual" and "trekking in a temperate rainforest" into a single outfit.

Or go ask the fashion subforum: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=179 (eg suit megathread)

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I got a lightweight blazer from uniqlo that I use as my travel blazer. I still had to get the sleeves tailored though.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Saladman posted:

Unless you have some super specific travel needs that mixes both "business casual" and "trekking in a temperate rainforest" into a single outfit.

Wait, you mean you've never crossed Africa by car on your way to a business meeting only for the car to break down so you hoofed it through the Savannah while being chased by dangerous animals, and then arrived just on time looking swag as gently caress?

Jeez.

oompah
Apr 17, 2013

Saladman posted:

If you care about a great fit you'll have to get it tailored or actually go in person to stores and try on a bunch until you find a perfect one, unless you already have a blazer that fit perfectly without tailoring, in which case buy the same brand and fit. By travel blazer, you mean one that won't get wrinkled? Anything in wool will work and anything in cotton won't. Anything in other fabrics will look terrible, like this monstrosity: https://wanelo.com/p/18736240/men-s-victorinox-swiss-army-water-repellent-insulated-travel-blazer

Yeah just something that won't wrinkle too much - based on previous experience, I am pretty much resigned to needing to get something tailored, so probably I'll just start with looking at something nice in wool and go from there, thanks for the tip. Probably won't have time before this trip, but it is not for business so not a huge deal, I'll just look a tad shlubby.

Well, I guess everyone should be prepared for this, you never know.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I give up I look like a travel dad. Swear to god it's by accident

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I actually have a bunch of ministry of supply shirts, and they are absolutely loving amazing. I bought one of their Blazers to try, but due to being barrel chested/short armed, none of their poo poo fit me in an non-comical fashion and they didn't loving designed it to be tailorable.

Now, Buffworks just kickstarted a blazer that is highly tailorable, but it isn't going to hit retail until probably next spring. I really like their pants, even OK have way too many superfluous the zippers of poo poo, at least they are hidden and only annoying when you try to reach something in the bottom of your pocket.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

caberham posted:

I give up I look like a travel dad. Swear to god it's by accident

Please post a pic of you wearing your get up for the thread so we can start to mock you before realizing we all look the same. Blur your head out though.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

oompah posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good slim fit travel blazer or sport coat? I'd like to buy it ready to wear, as my trip is in 2 weeks and I won't have time to get it tailored - not sure what is possible though, as I wear ~43 extra long.

Maybe this would work? http://shop.bluffworks.com/collections/blazers

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Bro I just posted about that like or posts up from yours. It's also just been kickstart it will not be available until February at the very earliest.

Is looking very good, even though it has too many stupid loving pockets like everything they produce seems to.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have 2 travel blazers but neither of them is available for sale anymore because the fashion industry is stupid. The last one I got at Uniqlo, it was marked as a "Lightweight windbreaker" or something like that but because it's Uniqlo they make it for 10 weeks then move on to other stuff. Don't bother with their "comfort blazers" they're basically made out of sweatshirt material. They do have slim fit stretch wool for $129. The other is a Nau "riding jacket" which is made of softshell material and owns but they stopped making that because they'd rather sell a wool one for $500.

qirex fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Planning to get my girlfriend a travel bag for Christmas at around 150 bucks, what's the goon recommended bag these day? I have a Jansport Eurosack that I got after a recommendation from y'all and would love something similar. The Osprey Fairpoint 40 keeps popping up in my searches, how's that one?

• Locked thread