Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Waffleman_ posted:

I figure some people might be coming into My Hero Academia, especially the anime, off of One Punch Man, and expecting it to be another superhero-based sendup, when Academia is pretty much an earnest battle shonen series with pretty good pacing.

The series, at least I think, does an amazing job of tackling what it means to be a hero... which, I think, is really commendable. A lot of modern stuff shies away from earnest characters like All Might or Deku...which is neat ....and also why he's dying., at least, thematically. That being said my knowledge of american super hero stuff kinda begins and ends with movie junk...and a smattering of things I've encountered by being alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

New omake.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I expected this to be a by the numbers hero anime, and I liked it so much after the 2nd episode I got entirely caught up on the manga

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Is the Yaoyorictionary a clearer pun in Japanese, or is it just as silly there?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So, Bad Seafood, how is your "hypothetical episode schedule" looking nowadays?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

boy.

This cracked me up.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh, I guess Aoyama can shoot lasers out of any of the ports on his suit.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space-Bird posted:

boy.

This cracked me up.

That was funny, yeah. Horikoshi perving out over Yaoyorozu, less so.

RatHat posted:

Huh, I guess Aoyama can shoot lasers out of any of the ports on his suit.

Yeah, we saw that in his test with Uraraka against No. 13. He fired shots out of his knees while holding on to the railing to avoid getting pulled in.

Also I have an effortpost written up about things I remembered or noticed while rereading the series, but it's way too long for how little it really says. Summed up:

-I feel so bad for Deku's mother and the series must be awful from her perspective.

-Shigaraki's growth is even more impressive than I previously thought; pre-boot camp he tries to kill Toga and Dabi because he's sick and tired of hearing about Stain, then in the encounter with Deku (where he handles himself pretty well itself) he has his revelation and decides to use Stain's ideals to his advantage despite them being complete opposites, perverting the Hero-Killer's legacy to further his agenda. Flash-forward, and at the boot camp we have multiple Stain followers simultaneously spouting his nonsense while doing exactly what Shigaraki wants (apart from Spinner saving Deku when his partner tried to kill him, which then got them captured because Spinner is dumb), he acknowledges the value of all those allies despite their disagreements and that they're worth trying to keep alive instead of using as sacrificial pawns, and when they're trying to convert Bakugou he uses Spinner going off on a Stain tangent to his advantage rather than telling the lizard to go gently caress himself. He's learning fast; I kind of wish we got a few pages of him bullshitting the Stain-followers into thinking that they'd totally be advancing his goals by joining the V.A., because that's almost definitely what happened.

-Holy crap Aizawa broke the fake Dabi's arms when trying to make him comply at the camp. He didn't know that was a fake then either; he was totally willing to brutalize a villain in order to learn their plan. Jeez, Aizawa.

-I forgot about it but that bit about Deku paralyzing himself if he goes 100% too many more times seems awfully worrisome now that he's in yet another dangerous situation, this one involving someone so strong that he rivals All Might. The kids just getting away here seems way too easy, too; something else has to go down here. Besides the obvious possibility of All Might biting it, Yaoyorozu and Todoroki are still on the ground near-ish to the villains, which seems like a bad place to be.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 17, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why does the character roster page have everybody with their mouths so wide open

were these pictures taken at the dentist

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Tollymain posted:

why does the character roster page have everybody with their mouths so wide open

were these pictures taken at the dentist

Look at Tokoyami! "CAW CAW CAW"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

i always knew Mandalay was the coolest

e:

Same, my man.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Mraagvpeine posted:

So, Bad Seafood, how is your "hypothetical episode schedule" looking nowadays?
Between MHA and Jojo I've decided to stop doing those.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think it's safe to say MHA ain't making it any further than Universal Studios of Japan

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baal posted:

I think it's safe to say MHA ain't making it any further than Universal Studios of Japan

Yeah. They're going to do USJ and probably the aftermath of it, but that leads directly into the tournament so they probably won't go too far with it. Furthest they'd go is the chapter end moment where Aizawa talks about the upcoming dangers they'll face, before revealing that the aforementioned tournament is coming, leaving off there as a tease at season two. Bigger question is how they're going to split the chapters up into episodes, really.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
How many episodes are left in the anime?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Six

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Until the inevitable next season.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Roland Jones posted:

-Holy crap Aizawa broke the fake Dabi's arms when trying to make him comply at the camp. He didn't know that was a fake then either; he was totally willing to brutalize a villain in order to learn their plan. Jeez, Aizawa.

I thought it was pretty obvious that Aizawa is the Batman to All Might's Superman.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I thought it was pretty obvious that Aizawa is the Batman to All Might's Superman.

He takes his job very seriously.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DrSunshine posted:

Look at Tokoyami! "CAW CAW CAW"

RIBBIT RIBBIT RIBBIT

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Stain is the "Dark Knight Returns" to Shigaraki's "Superman: Red Son"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So here's a question. Has the series ever shown us Bakugou's family at any point?

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Nuebot posted:

So here's a question. Has the series ever shown us Bakugou's family at any point?

There was a panel of Bakugou talking to his mother, but neither of his parents have made a physical appearance (at least not that I remember).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Well yes, but I didn't think he was that kind of Batman.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

They talk about them and their powers and how it lead to Bakugou becoming a grenade of super powers by nearly pure accident.

Cutely enough he started out being able to only produce fireworks, his powers are a lot less cute now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CaptianKatsura posted:

There was a panel of Bakugou talking to his mother, but neither of his parents have made a physical appearance (at least not that I remember).

Thought so. I wonder if they'll ever be relevant. :shrug:

Mordaedil posted:

Cutely enough he started out being able to only produce fireworks, his powers are a lot less cute now.
Definitely. I really like how the anime did the scene where he used the flamethrower or whatever his suit has on Deku during the training. I wasn't sold on his voice at first but every actor seems to be nailing it so far.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

They talk about them and their powers and how it lead to Bakugou becoming a grenade of super powers by nearly pure accident.

do they? could you give me a chapter? I don't recall it off the top of my head.

what were their powers, flash sweat and pyromancy?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Maybe his mom is going to be a n ex-idol who can turn sound into a light show.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Gyges posted:

Maybe his mom is going to be a n ex-idol who can turn sound into a light show.

The X-men called, they want Dazzler back.

E. This came out more snippy and sarcastic than intended, I just wanted to point out that the X-men have such a character, that's all.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mikl posted:

E. This came out more snippy and sarcastic than intended, I just wanted to point out that the X-men have such a character, that's all.

No one wants Dazzler back.

No one.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mr. Fowl posted:

No one wants Dazzler back.

No one.

These guys might.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Dr3SsvqN0

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELhJ2umqyOQ

Most of these are so lame, I'm disappointed.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Ochako bringing down boulders out of nowhere is p. good tho.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like the metal clanking sounds when Kirishima bangs his knuckles together, but otherwise yeah those are all pretty lame

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blaze Dragon posted:

Huh, a lot of these are series references, but... A bit wrong. Bakugou's attack is like what he pulled on Todoroki in the tournament (I think, might be from a different moment though) but turned into a dive attack, Ochako's boulder drop is kind of like her attack against Bakugou, and All Might's special is literally just what he did to defeat the first Noumu. Which simultaneously seems both a bit excessive and also rather disappointing given that in the series it's such a huge moment, whereas here it's just a standard special.

Edit: But yeah, most of these are disappointing; there's a lack of gravitas and the pacing and "feel" is wrong for a lot of them. Final boss Shigaraki (possibly; it might just be editing) just outright killing you by disintegrating your character's face is alright, though, and I like the idea of Yaoyorozu using a cannon salvo even if the execution is off.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 18, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mikl posted:

Good point. Maybe his mom ran away and lived in a mall for a while, earning money via the pyrotechnic plasmoids she can project. She probably just hasn't appeared on panel because she's a vampire now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Huh, a lot of these are series references, but... A bit wrong. Bakugou's attack is like what he pulled on Todoroki in the tournament (I think, might be from a different moment though) but turned into a dive attack, Ochako's boulder drop is kind of like her attack against Bakugou, and All Might's special is literally just what he did to defeat the first Noumu. Which simultaneously seems both a bit excessive and also rather disappointing given that in the series it's such a huge moment, whereas here it's just a standard special.

Edit: But yeah, most of these are disappointing; there's a lack of gravitas and the pacing and "feel" is wrong for a lot of them.

It has been said in this thread before, but exactly what are you expecting from a budget handheld title?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serious Frolicking posted:

It has been said in this thread before, but exactly what are you expecting from a budget handheld title?

Not much, really. Just noting that it seems really unpolished, like a rough draft rather than a final product.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's kind of cute how they had most of the students recoil after using their specials, since they're not used to using them to the limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Back on the manga topic, a comment I read somewhere pointed out something that's potentially bad news for All Might: All For One has Ragdoll's quirk now. It lets the user know people's locations... And their weaknesses. And All Might just so happens to have a horrible chest wound debilitating him (that we know hurts him, given his reaction to being gripped there by the Noumu at USJ). That seems like it might be relevant soon.

Also Jeanist's death (if he is dead; seems like he should be after that) might actually impact Bakugou, since he trained under the guy. Didn't like him at the time, but even if All Might himself isn't offed here this moment could and should affect Bakugou a lot.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 19, 2016