Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Holy poo poo, that;s a lot of good looking stuff, thanks so much guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Elblanco posted:

So, as someone who just got back in the game after a 4 year break, and as I someone who has never listened to maro's podcast, are there a few episodes I should check out? It sounds interesting, but I have no idea where to start.

E: or are there any good Mtg podcasts? I wasn't super into them last time I played, but om looking for something to listen to at the gym.

Good podcasts for people who want generally good info and not a lot of inside jokes and bullshitting include:

- at your end step: my favorite general magic podcast. Talk about community stuff, events, decks, etc. Funny and well produced. 3 friends and grinders in Columbus put out consistently good poo poo. One of them went to the last PT so he's good enough to listen to.
- top level podcast: Patrick chapin and Mike Flores mostly talking about latest metagame in standard and it's always worth listening to even if you dont really care about standard just to get inside a great players head. And that doesn't mean Flores.
- limited resources. The best limited podcast and still probably the best magic podcast, although it's "limited" in scope. any podcast with LSV is to be listened to.
- the spike feed: another general interest podcast but less in depth and less good players than at your end step, but very well produced, short, and fun enough.
-masters of modern: not super spikey but routinely enjoyable and always somehow talking about modern every week. Well produced.
- magic the amateuring: two funny ladies mostly talk about limited and community stuff. It can be silly but it's good to hear from women who are prominent in the community.
- MTG fast finance: good financial focused podcast, and I think Travis is a goon?

I previously had been listening to Turn One Thoughtseize but stopped, but went back last week and liked it a lot. More spikey modern podcast.

God I listen to too many magic podcasts...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ShaneB posted:

I previously had been listening to Turn One Thoughtseize but stopped, but went back last week and liked it a lot. More spikey modern podcast.

There's a Spikey Modern podcast? :allears:

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Are there any podcast that get deep on the flavor and sort of Melvin/Vorthos styles in general? The Command Zone has a couple times but I crave more.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ShaneB posted:

- top level podcast: Patrick chapin and Mike Flores mostly talking about latest metagame in standard and it's always worth listening to even if you dont really care about standard just to get inside a great players head. And that doesn't mean Flores.

I've never listened to this podcast but does Flores try to pump his own tires as much as he used to in his articles?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Elyv posted:

I've never listened to this podcast but does Flores try to pump his own tires as much as he used to in his articles?

He's the worst but chapin keeps him lovingly in check most of the time.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

ShaneB posted:

He's the worst but chapin keeps him lovingly in check most of the time.

Also when they gush over a card they're almost always correct. See Nahiri, Kalitas, Chandra episodes. I'm not sure that the episodes proceed price spikes but if your into standard, or even eternal formats you could do worse than trading/buying cards they think are hot.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
ban Burning-Tree Emissary tia

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Four Score posted:

ban Burning-Tree Emissary, Lava Spike, Rift Bolt, Atarka's Command, Eidolon of the Great Revel, Monastery Swiftspear, Goblin Guide, and Boros Charm tia

FTFY

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I mean yeah but it's the free Human you can use to cast more copies of itself/other spells that bugs me the most

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
So my friend's mom has been telling him she has some of her old MTG cards to give him for awhile now. He finally got to pick them up from her and this is what she gave him. He's thinking he might get a revised land.

:drat:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Rinkles posted:

I did not realize Bribery was modern legal.
A guy at my LGS runs a fun-of in his blue Tron deck and occasionally gets comedic results.

Your friend better pamper the gently caress out of his mom on Mother's Day

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

The girlfriend bracket is also a super fun podcast to listen to

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

goodness posted:

So my friend's mom has been telling him she has some of her old MTG cards to give him for awhile now. He finally got to pick them up from her and this is what she gave him. He's thinking he might get a revised land.

How could he not know she had multiple copies of P9?!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

How could he not know she had multiple copies of P9?!

People bought into "that game" a quarter of a decade ago and thought that theyd be worth maybe a couple of bucks. Not thousands.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

PJOmega posted:

People bought into "that game" a quarter of a decade ago and thought that theyd be worth maybe a couple of bucks. Not thousands.

No, that's some serious spike poo poo. You don't end up with those cards by coincidence.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

No, that's some serious spike poo poo. You don't end up with those cards by coincidence.

probably holding copies to run up the price this is some peak mt. gfinance.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So GP Manchester's main event is capped at 1600 players, isn't that pretty low? I think GP London last year was 4000 or so. I know we now get 2 GPs a year in the UK and London '16 will probably be as big as last year, but I'm pretty sure the Manchester venue would support more.

Anyway, 300 seats or so left according to the Website, so if you mean to go you better book sharpish.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

So GP Manchester's main event is capped at 1600 players, isn't that pretty low? I think GP London last year was 4000 or so. I know we now get 2 GPs a year in the UK and London '16 will probably be as big as last year, but I'm pretty sure the Manchester venue would support more.

Anyway, 300 seats or so left according to the Website, so if you mean to go you better book sharpish.

I thin Liverpool last year had a similar cap.

Me and the girlfriend have booked. Though MSA mucked up at first and I've been double charged for my entry, but they're gonna sort that on Friday when their finance manager is back.

What goons are all going? I have little doubt my GF will make a deeper run of the main event than I will, so i will have plenty spare time on the Saturday I reckon.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
I'll be there. Thank gently caress too as otherwise I would be working an insane bank holiday weekend

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

mehall posted:

Me and the girlfriend have booked. Though MSA mucked up at first and I've been double charged for my entry, but they're gonna sort that on Friday when their finance manager is back.

I just had to pay £20 to change my train tickets, as somehow the ones I booked were both for the 20th instead of the 26th and 30th! Bit suspicious about that, I spent ages picking times on there. But there are still cheap advanced tickets from Euston to Manchester if anyone is considering going from the south.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I'll be there with all my friends from my lgs. If you see a biker dude in drag I'm probably near there laughing at him. We are paying for his side events if he turns up Saturday at the main event dressed up like that, dude has no dignity.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Samael posted:

I'll be there with all my friends from my lgs. If you see a biker dude in drag I'm probably near there laughing at him. We are paying for his side events if he turns up Saturday at the main event dressed up like that, dude has no dignity.

Seems not tacky or insulting to anyone at all!!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Samael posted:

It would probably be better if you didn't do something dumb like that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Samael posted:

sounds like you haven't seen the glory of pavel petel

just in case it's confusing, this post isn't ironic, pavel petel is a really good looking dude

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah I have been playing since the game came out and didn't randomly pack any power back then. You had to go find all that poo poo.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Oh, I forget that I have posted on SA, the comedy forum. Let me backpedal on this and say that we have been laughing along with him, as he likes to do silly things during events and such. But yeah, I'll be at GP Manchester and hope to see some of you goons there, if only to criticize my choice in words on my previous post.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah I have been playing since the game came out and didn't randomly pack any power back then. You had to go find all that poo poo.

Well the force of wills are a dead giveaway. Power was expensive when alliances was around although not todays level of expensive.

If someone was to casually find 30k in magic cards from their mother I would assume their mother would prefer to know that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

goodness posted:

Hi Son, I've been saving 50k for you. Enjoy!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You could easily forget that you spent that amount of effort collecting top quality cards for a game you don't care about 20 years later.

mandatory lesbian posted:

sounds like you haven't seen the glory of pavel petel

just in case it's confusing, this post isn't ironic, pavel petel is a really good looking dude

I would play in a GP just to see Pavel Petel. I don't know why I don't have a playmat of him yet. I should rectify that.

Samael posted:

Oh, I forget that I have posted on SA, the comedy forum. Let me backpedal on this and say that we have been laughing along with him, as he likes to do silly things during events and such. But yeah, I'll be at GP Manchester and hope to see some of you goons there, if only to criticize my choice in words on my previous post.

It may be construed as offensive by those not in your circle of friends, IMO.

E: \/ \/ that's what I mean

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 18, 2016

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Chill la Chill posted:

You could easily forget that you spent that amount of effort collecting top quality cards for a game you don't care about 20 years later.

I would play in a GP just to see Pavel Petel. I don't know why I don't have a playmat of him yet. I should rectify that.

It may be construed as offensive by those not in your circle of friends, IMO.

A dude in a dress isn't offensive but treating it like a joke is. I'm "sure" you're swell citizens of one of the most hosed up countries in the world but everyone else just assumes "dickhead" and moves on with their day. If you have to explain it, its no good

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Seems there will be a Wayne England Tribute Booth at the GP, with his family selling his work and a condolence book, and there will be a memorial tournament for him on the Saturday.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Count Bleck posted:

One day my Knight Exemplar collection will be a treasure.

I honestly think there's a better chance of this than steamflogger boss. Very good, playable knights come around every once in a while.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
What The gently caress, dude, a guy in a dress??? Laughing?? There is certainly no venue in which a man in drag has ever been played for laughs. Now if you want to see some real humor, here's a hilarious racist joke WOTC could make (not me I'd never make this joke):

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
"Hey did you hear that some guy agreed to wear a dress so that a bunch of other guys will pay for his events? That's probably the most degrading thing any guy has ever done for money."

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The only reason Knight Exemplar isn't already expensive is that Haakon is 1) mono-B 2) unable to be cast from the command zone.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Entropic posted:

If you listen to maro's podcast it's safe to say you're way more heavily invested in the game than the average person who buys packs.

How invested am I if I used to listen to it regularly but gave up on it as I grew increasingly frustrated by his frequent factual errors and inability to address his own biases?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Seems there will be a Wayne England Tribute Booth at the GP, with his family selling his work and a condolence book, and there will be a memorial tournament for him on the Saturday.

A memorial tournament that costs £20, but every player entered (max 32) gets a Russian Lorwyn booster.
(The top prize is a russian box of lorwyn too.)

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm gonna enter Dallas GP and have no thoughts of actually being top 200, but would my burn deck at least not get completely smoked?
DECK HERE

I've got to keep it under $200. I want it to play fast and simple. I thought about putting some destroy lands, but they are too mana heavy. I had Eidolon in there, but I would def burn myself up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ButtWolf posted:

I'm gonna enter Dallas GP and have no thoughts of actually being top 200, but would my burn deck at least not get completely smoked?
DECK HERE

I've got to keep it under $200. I want it to play fast and simple. I thought about putting some destroy lands, but they are too mana heavy. I had Eidolon in there, but I would def burn myself up.

Why aren't you at least splashing white for Boros charm and the SB Options? No access to the mana base? Also, Eidolon is great even if you're dealing yourself damage. You just board it out vs the mirror and other aggro decks. Also you can't play a full set of Searing Blaze without the fetchlands.

• Locked thread