Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
I just ran into the Nameless King NPC praying in Archdragon Peak. Is he essential to something? The phantom I was with just attacked him and his name said Host of Embers Nameless King. He then proceeded to kill me with lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sajeezzar posted:

I just ran into the Nameless King NPC praying in Archdragon Peak. Is he essential to something? The phantom I was with just attacked him and his name said Host of Embers Nameless King. He then proceeded to kill me with lightning.

That was a cosplaying invader

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Don't worry, that was just a roleplayer. Phantoms, friendly or hostile, can't interact with NPC characters to prevent just such a situation.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Pontiff Sulyvahn was fun. Summoned Anri and Gotthard for it since I missed the gesture before and Anri cool.

Afterwards two folks invaded immediately and moidered me. It was cool we sorta just had a bog standard fight, no rapiers, no hiding behind guys. Is this a covenant location? Hope they got an item for that fight.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Golden Goat posted:

Pontiff Sulyvahn was fun. Summoned Anri and Gotthard for it since I missed the gesture before and Anri cool.

Afterwards two folks invaded immediately and moidered me. It was cool we sorta just had a bog standard fight, no rapiers, no hiding behind guys. Is this a covenant location? Hope they got an item for that fight.

yeah that region is the area for the Aldrich faithful.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh that's good then.

Oh, how is anybody meant to find out about the darkmoon covenant normally/naturally?
Even the game questions you on how you found out about it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Golden Goat posted:

Oh that's good then.

Oh, how is anybody meant to find out about the darkmoon covenant normally/naturally?
Messages other people left :v:.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I had none when I went down there. Which was really weird considering the amount you used to get in the crystal caves in DS1.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

Messages other people left :v:.

Same

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

There's supposedly a developer message hinting at it if you use Seek Guidance. And if you've played DS1 you'd know there would be something there!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I figured something would be there once I activated the elevator but really didn't think it'd be an invisible bridge.

I like how it connects to the church but I didn't think the church was that tall.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Dazzling Addar posted:

Don't worry, that was just a roleplayer. Phantoms, friendly or hostile, can't interact with NPC characters to prevent just such a situation.

I killed someone's Yellowfinger Heysel after I killed them and then got worried because I wanted to have fun but didn't want to screw them out of items :ohdear:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Oh that's good then.

it's a callback to the crystal caverns from dark souls 1, so I guess that's how

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Even the crystal cave had the decency to nudge the player towards the unthinkable by first placing "???" messages in midair.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

scamtank posted:

Even the crystal cave had the decency to nudge the player towards the unthinkable by first placing "???" messages in midair.

In this case though it's a optional area so they probably wanted to keep it fairly secret.

The crystal caves gave other visual cues by the "snow" dropping on the invisible bridge. Here either you get messages or you get nothing and just think there's another way to the tower from below.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you're right, but I could see a dark souls 1 player figuring that out for themselves had they explored the church below and noticed that yorshka's platform was directly above it

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

hampig posted:

I killed someone's Yellowfinger Heysel after I killed them and then got worried because I wanted to have fun but didn't want to screw them out of items :ohdear:

Heysel is a dick, she attacked me while i was Watchdog-invading. I'm on your side, lady!

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Instant Grat posted:

Heysel is a dick, she attacked me while i was Watchdog-invading. I'm on your side, lady!

Heysel is a one of Rosaria's fingers tho.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

you're right, but I could see a dark souls 1 player figuring that out for themselves had they explored the church below and noticed that yorshka's platform was directly above it

Yeah that's possible if you're able to crank up the camera high enough and lay out the map in your head. I don't think that's a "Dark Souls 1" player only sorta thing though.

Otherwise though you're almost reliant on messages appearing to know it's a invisible bridge. I'm gonna take a look at the place again, i'm sure there's another visual cue I missed.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

turtlecrunch posted:

Bandit knife can also kill everything there pretty easy even without upgrades. The giant treemoose are an exception ofc.

Try fire. I was shocked at how fast they melt to pyromancies or charcoal buffed weaponry.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah that's possible if you're able to crank up the camera high enough and lay out the map in your head. I don't think that's a "Dark Souls 1" player only sorta thing though.

Otherwise though you're almost reliant on messages appearing to know it's a invisible bridge. I'm gonna take a look at the place again, i'm sure there's another visual cue I missed.

you can see the tower with no access and the bonfire from the cut of bridge. But it requires you to look at places you might not . So if you explore the mechanical stair tower a bit, you should notice it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

it's not actually hard to tell where it is. like there's a room in the church at the bottom of the tower you can enter and it's obvious that you need to drop down from above in that room. I could tell where it was from the revolving platform next to the tower by tracing back from the pontiff boss room. it's simple to put 2 and 2 together from that point because you can see that there's no way into the tower from above beyond the platform. if you've played dark souls 1, you know that invisible platforms are a thing and the broken bridge leads out to the bonfire platform so it's entirely possible to reason this out

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Pwnstar posted:

Rings I don't care about but why doesn't the big dumb wizard hat give the same or more magic power as the Dusk Crown?

Because From hated magic users so much that they forced them to wear what is effectively a dunce cap. I hate how the dusk crown looks.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think figuring out the tower and church link is fine but personally it feels like it's either messages or guesswork for knowing it's an invisible bridge if there's no visual cues like the crystal caves.

Anyway that's a silly side thing to get stuck on, so I tried Aldrich and it looks like it's a repeat of the Crystal Sage with me chasing him about the place. He got me with the arrow rain attack. I'm doing gently caress all damage with Dragonslayer's Axe +6 though, is there any particular weapon I should be taking in against him?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

hampig posted:

If someone kills an npc that drops unique loot and the host dies before getting the item, it'll be waiting in that area as a glowy when they respawn.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I don't know what it is about invasions compared to dying to npc's that cause meltdowns over something as trivial as 4000 souls or 10 minutes of gametime but I'm glad, because its funny as hell.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Obligatum VII posted:

Because From hated magic users so much that they forced them to wear what is effectively a dunce cap. I hate how the dusk crown looks.

b team best team

we got that saint's hood, we got that hexer's hood, we got that witch hat...

we got all that poo poo that helps casters!

there's probably like one or two more i'm forgetting

anyhow if magic weren't garbage then forgoing the dusk crown for the sick wizard hat would always be the proper choice, just like in ds1
instead they added a dumb plague doctor mask to the big hat and made it do nothing

edit:
why doesn't ds3 have Bigger Hat Logan

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 18, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Magic was too good in Dark Souls 2 pvp :colbert:

Also why does everyone in NG+ and above wear the nameless king's stupid crown? Is this the new fashion trend?

edit: I am glad they brought back the armor of Aurous

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 18, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's the goofiest hat that isn't a retread of the xanthous crown

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It's a crying shame that we don't have Prince Ricard's crotch bandages as an option

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Has someone familiar with FROM's "advanced" anti-cheat heuristics taken a look at the CheatEngine First person method to see if it triggers any of the character tampering flags? I haven't kept up with whatever messy state that system is in, what with the chaotic patching/unpatching, so for all i know FROMs heuristic works like the poise system and includes ouija boards, tarot cards and pouring goat blood into their coding repository.

Until i know i'll stick to playing around with it on a family-shared steam account, at least until i've finished the coop playthroughs with my friends.

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's the goofiest hat that isn't a retread of the xanthous crown
a true xanthous crown should be at least as tall as your character, these tiny imposters are just saddening

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

This xanthous crown has seen some poo poo (including a birds) over the centuries.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Until i know i'll stick to playing around with it on a family-shared steam account, at least until i've finished the coop playthroughs with my friends.

This is a good idea for anything CE-related, no matter what people say is safe or not.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

And my Platinum trophy has been achieved. It has not been achieved because I still have 16 Ears to collect, but gently caress that for now. In five million souls I earned 4 of the loving things, and that was with item find in excess of 400.

Just have to sit around and wait for the DLC now I guess! Bit burnt out, but it was a fantastic experience overall.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If i had to recollect ears id probably use the family sharing trick now.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
From personal experience 16 ears could take about 2-3 hours of running up and down the steps at Anor Londo. I had max item discovery items on as well, though after farming those I question if that stat actually does anything either.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Found the secret to beating the nameless king easily: summon friends

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cultisto posted:

From personal experience 16 ears could take about 2-3 hours of running up and down the steps at Anor Londo. I had max item discovery items on as well, though after farming those I question if that stat actually does anything either.

Yeah that's the thing, I was farming for that long at one point. :suicide:

I seem to have really bad luck with the Darkmoon and Blue Sentinels anyway. I've had a handful of summons spread across around half a dozen characters.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I had the best co-op adventure I've had in this series so far last night. I was just going to have a look at Irithyll while hopefully helping someone, but it turned into a great little adventure. We'd both got the idea to soften bad guys up with arrows first, and it turns out the AI just can't deal with two archers at once. So we were shooting up the place, if anyone got too close they got a sword to the face, and we got to the church. Waited around a bit, got invaded, and I managed to win (the invader did very badly).

Anyway, then the host summoned someone else who seemed to know the area pretty well. At this point I'd ended up with a gimmick of placing prism stones where enemies died, so that was fun. So we went through trashing everything, I ended up with a tiny bit of health and no estus, and we got to the boss. I went for hit and run, and a bit of distraction because I didn't want to die like an idiot, the other summon did most of the work, the host did a bit, the other summon died but the boss was on basically no health, he was going after the host and I ran in and stabbed him dead. Fun way of getting 50k souls.

Oh, I did the catacombs of course, Wolnir was a cool gimmick fight, I set up a battle between that big demon and a mimic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Used the Warden Winblade and took down both Princes and Soul of Cinder on my first attempt :shepface:

I feel like a goddamn champ.