Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
So we just recorded the first two~ hours of REmake...

I've already died three times :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
If there's one thing REmake does not do it's hold your hand. That fuel canteen can go to hell I NEED TO BURN ALL THE CORPSES

ALL OF THEM

It's simultaneously refreshing and terrifying.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

So REmake is there to explain some loose-ended insanity with all the elaborate puzzles and traps yet the entire mansion itself still only has one toilet. ONE loving TOILET. I don't care how crazy you want your giant house in the mountains to be, having only one toilet behind a bunch of locked doors is flat-out stupid. Imagine being some poor bastard on the upper-west wing of that place who's suddenly really gotta poo poo.

Lady Naga posted:

So we just recorded the first two~ hours of REmake...

I've already died three times :negative:
Oh. Ohhhhh.

Tofu Survivor posted:

If there's one thing REmake does not do it's hold your hand. That fuel canteen can go to hell I NEED TO BURN ALL THE CORPSES

ALL OF THEM

It's simultaneously refreshing and terrifying.
REmake is possibly the one RE game in which I consciously have to stop myself from blasting everything on sight early on, simply because I know drat well that there's nowhere near enough kerosene to burn every corpse and that the handgun is a pathetic pea-shooter that doesn't even faze a V-ACT.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

REmake is possibly the one RE game in which I consciously have to stop myself from blasting everything on sight early on, simply because I know drat well that there's nowhere near enough kerosene to burn every corpse and that the handgun is a pathetic pea-shooter that doesn't even faze a V-ACT.

Is there enough if you do the trick of having all zombies in a room die on top of each other so that burning one burns all of them with only one use?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Depends on difficulty. On Easy, AFAIK you can probably get away with roasting 'em all like that. On Hard however I still don't think there's enough to burn all of them, but there's still more than enough to burn all the important ones (i.e. the bastards in those areas you'll be passing through frequently).

Edit:
That being said, Jill gets it somewhat easier when it comes to burning poo poo thanks to the GL + Flame Rounds, although there really aren't many of those in the entire game either.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 18, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
One of the interesting things about the Spencer mansion, when compared to most of the other settings in survival horror, is that it's always been designed for impact above verisimilitude.

In the original game, since it sits sort of awkwardly on the border between the FMV era and modern design, it's a Video Game Place and doesn't feel constrained by even base concessions towards actual reality. It makes a few token nods in that direction, but it doesn't feel any particular need to enforce the idea that this was once a place where people lived and worked. There's no attempt at immersion, and it may even predate the articulation of that concept in game design.

In the remake, they amped up that disconnect in an attempt to make the whole place feel even more detached from reality. Maybe half the mansion looks sort of like an actual place might, but every so often, you cross into this twisted version of reality that's anywhere from simply discordant to some kind of bizarre Renaissance landscape painting. You rarely see this kind of disconnect unless it's work that's explicitly dealing with the supernatural, and it really adds to the sense of the mansion as being a place where even really basic physical laws have been violated. Bad enough that the dead are walking, but it's difficult to imagine how anyone ever lived or worked here, even when presented with evidence that they did.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Okay geez I'm sure you're all sick of constant status updates and delays but we're going to have to re-record the first few parts of REmake because for whatever reason Rosetta's Audacity cut them off about an hour and a half in.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Lady Naga posted:

Okay geez I'm sure you're all sick of constant status updates and delays but we're going to have to re-record the first few parts of REmake because for whatever reason Rosetta's Audacity cut them off about an hour and a half in.

Oh god, I had that happen with a few recordings. I always have Audacity running on a screen I can see at all times just so I can notice that crap.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Lady Naga posted:

:negative:
At least now though you (probably) won't die once per hour. I think.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

is REmake really that much of a kick in the pants? I haven't gotten around to playing it yet but I would've thought it would be easier than the original (which is more awkward than difficult)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Aces High posted:

is REmake really that much of a kick in the pants? I haven't gotten around to playing it yet but I would've thought it would be easier than the original (which is more awkward than difficult)
Oh it's definitely a harder game overall, and especially early on. The one thing I figure to be objectively easier in REmake though is dealing with Hunters, not least because the loving hitboxes always work properly in that game. Oh Hard mode I'd say it's around the same general difficulty as Advanced/Arrange mode is in Director's Cut (without the double-ammo/wimpy enemies cheat active, that is). Monsters hurt like gently caress; a couple of grapples with even a crappy zombie and it's back to the title screen!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Aces High posted:

It takes one zombie attack to bring Jill from fully green to dark orange.

It's - dare I say it? - the Dark Souls of horror games!

:negative:
At least now though you (probably) won't die once per hour. I think.
Most likely not, I've learned better how to abuse the new control system to lock zombies in the "come at me bro" animation and then quickly duck away and sidestep them before they can turn around. It kind of shits on the difficulty but I think it's also kinda neat how it requires you to abuse a weakness in their dumb animal brain to stay alive; sorta like you'd do in a similar real-life situation.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 18, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

In that case... knife-only run when? :v:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
One of these days I'm gonna spite you people by doing a "knife only run" where I literally do not use anything but the knife. It'll last five minutes because I can't pick up key items and thus progress in the game.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 19, 2016

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

One of these days I'm gonna spite you people by doing a "knife only run" where I literally do not use anything but the knife. It'll last five minutes because I can't pick up key items and thus progress in the game.

Thanks for warning us, Genie Naga. We'll be sure to be more careful about our wording in the future. :v:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Knife only runs of RE games are great because if there's one thing I hate, it's actually having fun

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Tofu Survivor posted:

Thanks for warning us, Genie Naga. We'll be sure to be more careful about our wording in the future. :v:

You can ask for more wishes, but I'll just gently caress those up too.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Crane Fist posted:

Knife only runs of RE games are great because if there's one thing I hate, it's actually having fun
Exactly how I felt when chasing that stupid loving achievement for no good reason. "Oh boy, I sure love not enjoying RE games!"

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's like hey, REmake is a good game! It's fun and hard and pretty well-balanced and only occasionally ridiculous, so what I'm going to do is throw all that out the window and deliberately turn it into a grinding, unfun slog where I run away from everything and don't use any fun weapons and just have a loving awful time because I'm a total idiot who confuses pointless masochism with challenge!

Alright it's not all that bad but I played Mordheim all morning and now I'm salty as gently caress, sue me

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lady Naga posted:

I wish you'd LP RE:Dead Aim

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Crane Fist posted:

I wish you'd LP RE:Dead Aim

Done but it is now 240p and I am using an iPod earbud as a microphone.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lady Naga posted:

Done but it is now 240p and I am using an iPod earbud as a microphone.

I will watch it, my time has literally 0 value for the next week

Strike me down with your awful video genie and I will become more worthless than you can possibly imagine

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 21, 2016

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

everyone knows what happens when you wish on the Monkey's Paw

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Lady Naga posted:

Really trying to think of one for RE0 now.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I wish Naga could have fun with RE0.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

NO! Now we'll never get to see it!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

NO! Now we'll never get to see it!

You can thank me in either cash, personal check, or Bitcoins.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Leavemywife posted:

You can thank me in either cash, personal check, or Bitcoins.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Leavemywife posted:

I wish Naga could have fun with RE0.

Done, but all I did was rename my REmake shortcut "Resident Evil 0".

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
We were gonna record today but Rosetta's cable cut out and now Overwatch is released so welp see ya guys LP over I'm literally never going to play another game ever.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

GOD drat YOU BLIZZARD

drat YOU TO HELL

I'd be playing too but I have no one to play with. :smith:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Alright, I pulled myself from Overwatch long enough to record the first couple hours of REmake. Should be up either today or tomorrow (most likely tomorrow though).

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Oh, neat. I've been looking forward to that.

I don't play online showers that much, though. How is overwatch?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

bman in 2288 posted:

Oh, neat. I've been looking forward to that.

I don't play online showers that much, though. How is overwatch?

Kind of annoying solo, amazing with friends.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
In which Jill fits nicely into a sandwich.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHUm4VNnED0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3feHx5-ta1o

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

hurray for working nights, I can pass the next hour or so with this :)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

O lawd, here we go. Another double-trip through everyone's favourite giant house loaded with guys who appear to have gotten physical with cheese graters.

(But that inactive guy you set on fire by the stairs doesn't come back. Ever.)

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
You know I'm usually of the opinion that the writing in the RE games is garbage and could do with a lot of improvement... but here where they actually improved it a bit? It's just not the same without the "Jill sandwich" and "master of unlocking" lines. :colbert:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Barry's lines are infinitely better now that he's a casual jokester instead of a idiot doof, we didn't get the cutscene because our inventory is full but if he gives you the acid rounds Jill asks "what about you?" and he looks at his magnum and says "I'm happy with the buddy system I've got here" and it's basically my favourite line in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I honestly think I prefer the ambient music in REmake over the original scores in the PS1 version, it makes things way more tense and ominous feeling and fits the whole Spooky Mansion of Death and Horror element very well.

• Locked thread