Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lmao, if you think a German pensioner would ever accept some punk-rear end store stealing their money through rounding. The streets of Berlin would overflow with blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
The reasonable 1/4 of population say:

MonikaTSarn posted:

I'd be happy with getting rid of the cents, if they simply adjusted the prices as well ! Just let the things cost 1 Euro instead of 99 cents, and I'll happily pay it. If it costs 99 cents, I want my money back, and I'll be wasting everybody's time by paying with cents coins once I have enough.
Since tax is included in the prices, it's actually possible to do so in Germany.

The remaining 3/4 of the population say:

waitwhatno posted:

Lmao, if you think a German pensioner would ever accept some punk-rear end store stealing their money through rounding. The streets of Berlin would overflow with blood.

note: the 3/4 include all the pensioners with nothing better to do than count 1 cent coins and vote.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Paying by card avoids all these issues and makes it easier to follow your expenses...

But for Germans passing by card is the first step towards bringing back the Stasi...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hey, keep in mind that the 1 eurocent coin is worth like ten thousand Italian lira from before the monetary union. People used to have banknotes with lots of zeros for these values.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

blowfish posted:

The reasonable 1/4 of population say:

The remaining 3/4 of the population say:

note: the 3/4 include all the pensioners with nothing better to do than count 1 cent coins and vote.

I already spending enough time of my lunch break standing behind old ladies doing their daily shopping of two bananas and a BIO yoghurt( it was 8% off this week!). gently caress anything that makes the cashier's work even harder. gently caress having to argue with these bored pensioners.

I think it's better to upgrade the cash-free payment infrastructure. The technology is already there, with most new smartphones having a NFC reader. What we need is a nationwide, anonymous card system, like they are used in canteens, to go with these readers.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

blowfish posted:

With a rather broad definition for serious risk, arguably.

Back when I was in the Bundeswehr, one of the buildings I had to guard had a poster detailing something ludicrous like 20 stages of alert for Germany. We were at stage 3 at some point, but our effort in Afghanistan raised this to 5 for nebulous reasons. Over the years, I hazily recall our dear leaders talking about raising the terror-alert one or two times. So if this is true, Germany is now at terror alert 7 (out of 20).

Cat Mattress posted:

The whole point of hiring foreign workers is that they aren't actually aware of how much free time their job is supposed to give them.

Not only foreign workers fall into this trap, my own mother got screamed at by us last year because she stumbled into a lot of bullshit because she didn't know her employer wasn't allowed to do certain things and she and her fellow workers just believed everything they'd been told without question. Hell, even if you know about your rights pressure can sometimes force you into a lot of unpaid overtime. Would you throw away your chance at an apprenticeship just to enforce your rights? It's a hard choice.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Finland doesn't use the 1 and 2 cent coins, but if you pay by card you pay the exact amount. So sometimes you win over paying cash, sometimes you lose. How exciting! :finland:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Shazback posted:

Paying by card avoids all these issues and makes it easier to follow your expenses...

But for Germans passing by card is the first step towards bringing back the Stasi.

Cards is king, only sub Scandinavian scum insist on cash. :sweden::respek::norway::respek::denmark:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Finland doesn't use the 1 and 2 cent coins, but if you pay by card you pay the exact amount. So sometimes you win over paying cash, sometimes you lose. How exciting! :finland:

Did a lot of people complain when you switched to the new system? Like, complain about being "ripped off" by the store?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

waitwhatno posted:

Did a lot of people complain when you switched to the new system? Like, complain about being "ripped off" by the store?

Iirc they did not have coins like them before the Euro and are only minting them because the ECB forces them to do so.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

waitwhatno posted:

This was decided when we adopted the euro, we never had 1 and 2 euro cent coins so no one misses them. I can't remember if we had 1 penny coins back when we still had the mark.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Zudgemud posted:

Cards is king, only sub Scandinavian scum insist on cash. :sweden::respek::norway::respek::denmark:

I'm laughing so hard at all of these southern barbarians and their rinky dink caveman coins right now.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rappaport posted:

This was decided when we adopted the euro, we never had 1 and 2 euro cent coins so no one misses them. I can't remember if we had 1 penny coins back when we still had the mark.

We had. I still have some 1, 2 and 5 Pfennig-coins for sentimental reasons.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Libluini posted:

Back when I was in the Bundeswehr, one of the buildings I had to guard had a poster detailing something ludicrous like 20 stages of alert for Germany. We were at stage 3 at some point, but our effort in Afghanistan raised this to 5 for nebulous reasons. Over the years, I hazily recall our dear leaders talking about raising the terror-alert one or two times. So if this is true, Germany is now at terror alert 7 (out of 20).

Still saner than being at the equivalent of stage 21 on that scale, like France since last November.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

I'm laughing so hard at all of these southern barbarians and their rinky dink caveman coins right now.

Just you wait until the inevitable data leak at some big store or pharmacy chain happens and everyone in the world can just torrent your shopping lists and prescriptions of the last ten years. :tinfoil:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

waitwhatno posted:

In the Netherlands the 1 and 2 cents are also gone, and i dont think anyone complained. The only complaining i heard once was when German tourists paid with them, the shop owner had no place to store them in his register. :lol:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Libluini posted:

The Terror Ladder is the most dangerous climb

Charlie Mopps posted:

In the Netherlands the 1 and 2 cents are also gone, and i dont think anyone complained. The only complaining i heard once was when German tourists paid with them, the shop owner had no place to store them in his register. :lol:

more evidence that Germans are the wurst

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

more evidence that Germans are the wurst

In Germany, most shop owners are thankful for small money, since they tend to run out of change fast

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Charlie Mopps posted:

Poor Dutch engineering again, register can't even store 1c/2c coins. Typical.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

waitwhatno posted:

Poor Dutch engineering again, register can't even store 1c/2c coins. Typical.

Nieder-lande indeed.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

So, the EU threathened Portugal and Spain with fines for exceeding the 3%GDP deficit target as per defined in the Stability and growth pack

http://www.politico.eu/article/spain-and-portugal-at-risk-of-eu-sanctions-over-national-budgets-austerity-europe-recession/

And much gnashing of teeth we're had.

The hilarious part is that this refers to the 2013-2015 years, where the goverment in charge was PSD\CDS rightwing goverment , and at the same time Portugal was being lauded as the model example of austerity and going "beyond the Troika" in austerity measures.
Yes, thats right, Portugal can be fined by the EU by following a program set by the Troika, that the EU is part of.
Meanwhile , not a peep about other countries who are also breaking the Stability and growth pack (Allo France, Germany.)

This was, of course, seen as kinda controversial, so they decided to postpone any decision after the Spanish elections:

http://www.politico.eu/article/commission-spares-spain-and-portugal-on-deficit-for-now/

Clearly making it a pressure move to the current leftwing goverment of portugal to bend the knee, and serving as a warning for the spanish voters to not get funny in the comming elections.

Meanwhile, i've just converted to buddhism , because im just sitting here and laughing

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010
I'd have to check what the status is on the report for Germany, but I am quite sure France and Italy are being threatened with fines as well. I don't see any evidence that Spain or Portugal are being singled out. That doesn't mean we shouldn't just get rid of the EMU of course.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I really love that the krauts have no objection to fouling up every corner of Spain with ill-mannered tourists as they attempt to beggar it. They get you coming and going!

Edit: I can say kraut because I'm half German. I'm reclaiming it.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Lagotto posted:

I'd have to check what the status is on the report for Germany, but I am quite sure France and Italy are being threatened with fines as well. I don't see any evidence that Spain or Portugal are being singled out. That doesn't mean we shouldn't just get rid of the EMU of course.

Italy isn't in the Excessive Deficit Procedure so is at no risk of being sanctioned for now. Germany, as always, was told to invest more domestically to bring down its current account surplus France was given a deadline of next year to bring its deficit down below the required 3% so it's more like them getting singled out for leniency (you can find all the national recommendations here). .

Portugal's program ended midway through 2014 and seems to have stopped reforming afterwards, and Spain last year posted a deficit that was a full percentage point higher than agreed with the Commission. So the Commission is within its rights to threaten fines, but I'd be surprised if the Council didn't find some excuse to shoot those down.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

I really love that the krauts have no objection to fouling up every corner of Spain with ill-mannered tourists as they attempt to beggar it. They get you coming and going!

Edit: I can say kraut because I'm half German. I'm reclaiming it.

Depends. What's your other half?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

ChainsawCharlie posted:

This was, of course, seen as kinda controversial, so they decided to postpone any decision after the Spanish elections:

This is a really good plan by the Commission, cause there's probably going to be no government coming out out of those elections, so they can just delay to the next Spanish elections, forever and ever.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Depends. What's your other half?

Canadian of mixed extraction (mainly Scottish but from a long time ago). Germany's the only place where I actually have living relatives to go see and become infuriated with. I think I inherited more from the German side because I like beer much more than I like whiskey.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

PT6A posted:

Canadian of mixed extraction (mainly Scottish but from a long time ago). Germany's the only place where I actually have living relatives to go see and become infuriated with. I think I inherited more from the German side because I like beer much more than I like whiskey.

how do you stand on lederhosen?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The Commission is threatening to suspend Poland's voting rights for "failing to uphold the rule of law": https://next.ft.com/content/1fb0e9c4-1d04-11e6-b286-cddde55ca122

quote:

Poland faces the prospect of becoming the first EU country to be sanctioned for failing to uphold the rule of law after Brussels issued Warsaw with another warning over its constitutional overhaul.
On Wednesday, the European Commission gave Poland five days to demonstrate “significant progress” in addressing Brussels’ concerns over controversial changes to the country’s constitutional court and its state media.
If Warsaw fails to comply, the commission can issue a “Rule of Law Opinion”, which paves the way for more serious sanctions, such as stripping Poland of its right to vote on EU laws. This last option, available under Article 7 of the EU’s treaty, has been nicknamed “the nuclear option” by diplomats. The option has never been used before.
Although negotiations continue, Konrad Szymanski, Poland’s European affairs minister, dismissed hopes of a deal before the deadline on Monday and called for more time. “It is hard to expect a breakthrough,” he said. “To execute this plan, we need more time.”
The long-simmering row follows the election of Poland’s rightwing Law and Justice party with a surprise majority last autumn. Brussels and Warsaw sparred openly in January when commission officials attacked the Polish government’s reforms.
Brussels is most concerned with the reforms of Poland’s highest court, which critics say undermined the checks and balances of the country’s constitution.
The commission has also been sharply critical of a decision by the Polish government to sack the managing boards of Poland’s state-run television and radio channels.
But hopes of a domestic solution to the crisis through talks between Poland’s government and its opposition parties are slim, according to diplomats. “The level of probability of this happening [is something] I would compare to the return of Crimea to Ukraine,” said one.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

LemonDrizzle posted:

The Commission is threatening to suspend Poland's voting rights for "failing to uphold the rule of law": https://next.ft.com/content/1fb0e9c4-1d04-11e6-b286-cddde55ca122

Poland doesn't want to lose to Britain in the who-gets-the-gently caress-out-first race.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Poland doesn't want to lose to Britain in the who-gets-the-gently caress-out-first race.
This is the current state of play in the British referendum:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/732988347870793728

The Poles may win.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ChainsawCharlie posted:

how do you stand on lederhosen?

Not a fan. But I do like women wearing dirndls.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

LemonDrizzle posted:

This is the current state of play in the British referendum:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/732988347870793728

The Poles may win.

How the gently caress is online polling a thing?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

My theory is that the betting sites in Britain want to make a good buck by secretly promoting very wrong polls.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GaussianCopula posted:

My theory is that the betting sites in Britain want to make a good buck by secretly promoting very wrong polls.

after leicester all betting odds were destroyed

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Mans posted:

after leicester all betting odds were destroyed

Contrary to what they want you to believe, betting sites are probably celebrating the Leicester victory even more than anyone else, because it means they will get a lot of money on underdog teams in the years to come, all dreaming to be this years Leicester.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Austrian presidential election today! Are you excited to see if the... ahem... "right wing populist" wins?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

LemonDrizzle posted:

Austrian presidential election today! Are you excited to see if the... ahem... "right wing populist" wins?

Apparently there's been a shooting at a festival in Austria, it seems to be related to an altercation between a man and woman, but I wonder if it will feed into the voting patterns.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

It's so cheap and easy compared to methods of old that people overlook the validity issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Pesmerga posted:

Apparently there's been a shooting at a festival in Austria, it seems to be related to an altercation between a man and woman, but I wonder if it will feed into the voting patterns.

It's so adorable that us Europeans think a single random shooting is a noteworthy event. Now in America...