Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

HookShot posted:

I hate how because ooooh its the teacher's tournament Alex can't passively-agressively call them all morons for missing that FJ clue like he normally would because holy poo poo was that ever a $200 clue.
He kind of did with his jab about the male planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah... If the category was friggin Donkeys I wouldn't risk a lot

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
These acoustics are awful.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Daaaamn that was some comeback.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Poor Bill, sittin' there on Capitol Hill...

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
For christ's sake, this isn't the Teen Tournament, please give us at least ONE final that's remotely challenging.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah, for anyone who has basic familiarity with American art history (i. e. any American teacher) that was a shockingly easy final.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I randomly guessed it before they even showed the picture just by shouting out the name of a famous piece of art from that era. My husband was pretty impressed.

The teachers in this year's tournament kind of seem like morons overall though (I mean Bill got into the semifinals with <10k as a wildcard) so maybe they're just making them easy to limit the number of triple stumpers.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Haha Cory was so over it after losing that Daily Double

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'll take A Total Trainwreck for $1600, Alex.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I had to fast forward through tonight's ep. I just couldn't stand to listen to any of these people.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
They were all quite dumb. And Alex sounded really callous or bored talking to LL about sexual assault. I did LOL at the comment that "we" haven't figured this out, though.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
These were basically kids Jeopardy questions, as answered by the glue eating kids.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

celebrities still cant field the most softball poo poo in the world.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
At one point I just yelled "YOU'RE BOTH FORIEGN CORROSPONDANTS" at the screen.

What a joke of a final too. It reached snl celebrity jeopardy levels of dumb with that "we've removed 2 out of the 3 possible options for you" wording.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 18, 2016

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yesterday I was actually surprised that the three people were not only coherent and able to answer the most basic poo poo, but they actually weren't complete morons at all.

And then tonight happened. Did Michael Steele even answer more than like 3 questions?

Red Lancer
Nov 4, 2009
Money should be taken away from their charities after that game.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Number Ten Cocks posted:

They were all quite dumb. And Alex sounded really callous or bored talking to LL about sexual assault. I did LOL at the comment that "we" haven't figured this out, though.

As soon as he said the word "Egypt," my first thought was "Oh god, he's actually going there." And I thought it was awkward yesterday when he asked S.E. Cupp (an atheist) some weird question about religion disappearing. I did enjoy his weird smug-off with Jonathan Franzen though.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Really would've thought Anderson Cooper could do better than that. Piece of cake Final too.

Hopefully, Louis C.K. will be a better contestant tomorrow.

Anyway, from the first week of the Teachers Tournament, but I love the fact that Maggie, the head contestant coordinator, got a shoutout at the end of one of the rounds as the contestant was cracking up after answering the last clue. She's a really great woman, and really does her best to try and make all the contestants get into a comfort zone and work out nerves prior to taping. Glad she got some acknowledgement there.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
That was an incredible episode of Jeopardy! I've never seen that many clues left on the board even for a celebrity game. Alex opening the interview segment with a joking jab at the clown show that is the current GOP and then going "You were in Egypt and sexually assaulted, how was that?" was kind of amazing and jarring. Michael Steele decided to just abstain from playing after getting that late clue in the first round and couldn't figure out what country is kind of like Afghanistan and kind of like India and might be the one directly between those two. Power Players indeed.

Yeah, I hope Louis C.K. pulls an Andy Richter tomorrow and turns out to be an actually competent and intelligent celebrity.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

Really would've thought Anderson Cooper could do better than that. Piece of cake Final too.

You've obviously never seen Anderson Cooper on the regular celebrity Jeopardy.

As soon as he came on I was like "lol he's gonna be third" and it's a testament to how bad the other two were that he a) almost won and b) actually wasn't even third.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HookShot posted:

You've obviously never seen Anderson Cooper on the regular celebrity Jeopardy.

As soon as he came on I was like "lol he's gonna be third" and it's a testament to how bad the other two were that he a) almost won and b) actually wasn't even third.

Fair enough, I usually skip the Celebrity Jeopardy episodes. The ones I've seen are rather train-wrecky and leave way too many clues on the board. Guess I really was valuing Cooper way too highly Jeopardy-wise...

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
The most appropriate thing about all of this is that the former head of the RNC has no idea where Pakistan is.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Also this episode was edited to hell, I suspect because what's-her-name kept stalling a ridiculous amount of time before picking the next answer.

The scores before that weak rear end FJ were pathetic. What a weird episode.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Lol that dude couldn't even muster a guess at that grade school FJ question

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Dr Zaius posted:

Yeah, I hope Louis C.K. pulls an Andy Richter tomorrow and turns out to be an actually competent and intelligent celebrity.

It happened. Also he was really funny.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
goddamnit I thought Louis was tomorrow

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
More batshit wagering tonight. The game's a lock, you can't possibly win, and you're not competing with the next player anymore -- you have the same guaranteed minimum take under the charity scoring rules whether you come in 2nd or 3rd. Why would you not wager everything you have?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

goddamnit I thought Louis was tomorrow

Missed that episode as well, which was a shame.

At least Al Franken did very well tonight. That was a good episode to watch. Only problem I had with the episiode was the number of clues left on the board, even though it didn't seem like the game moved all that slowly, but it seems like that's standard for all Celebrity Jeopardy games, with the extended interview segment and the like... Also, that cookie that Alex got from an audience member was pretty cool.

Also, apparently Trebek was in New York earlier this week, according to a contestant from the last ToC that I'm friends with on Facebook, Elliot Yates. Apparently, he was sitting across from Trebek and his wife on the C train. Fellow Jeopardy contestants responding guessed it was because he was going to visit his son, who he bought a brownstone for in Harlem a couple years back, according to the New York Post. Guess he just eschews the driver or whatever and tries to go low profile, since according to Elliot, his wife said that they like to take the subway when they're here.

Trebek didn't recognize him, and didn't even notice the (Sports) Jeopardy cap on his head until his wife pointed it out to him. That's not uncommon according to other ToC contestants, who said that Alex forgot a bunch of their names when he saw them again for the tournament tapings, despite some of their winning streaks (Matt Jackson's included) and the press that they got because of it. I guess because he sees so many of them over the years, they become kinda a blur to him, unless they're really notable like Ken Jennings or Brad Rutter. According to Jerome Vered on that same comment chain, Trebek even forgot who he was.

Really amazes me how Maggie Speak, the head contestant coordinator who I mentioned above and who got a shoutout from one of the teacher contestants during the first week of the Teachers Tournament, can seem to remember all of us and put a bunch of our nerves from being on the show at ease prior to being on camera, and make us feel comfortable before the show, and make us feel better after we lose. She's really the perfect person for that job, ask any former Jeopardy contestant who she dealt with, and they'll almost undoubtedly tell you the same.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Best of the week by far.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Love me a good Hamilton reference

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Power Players week was a loving disgrace

they made a mockery of the game

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how are these people so dumb. they make millions talking about the law or current events or politics and they know less than probably anyone in this thread. what the gently caress.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

how are these people so dumb. they make millions talking about the law or current events or politics and they know less than probably anyone in this thread. what the gently caress.

They make millions reading scripts that someone else wrote about the law or current events or politics.

Also, my guess is, most of them don't watch the show.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it has nothing to do with watching the show it has to do with having facts in your brain.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

it has nothing to do with watching the show it has to do with having facts in your brain.

Yes and no.

A lot of times, I can guess based on context, which is what trivia is really about.

That said, I got like 4 of the musical theater questions correct, so I know they dumbed those down.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Not to defend, say, Wolf Blitzer, but there's a world of difference between being smart and being good at Jeopardy.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
Buzzy's competition was god awful today. And his FJ "jokes" are getting tiresome in a hurry.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Buzzy rules and has excellent fashion sense. And man that game was a trainwreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol that poor old dude.