Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm always working on too many tanks at any given time.

Ditto! :negative::respek::negative:

Solid run of games last night though. Let's do that again. Plus as a side effect I actually have credits and am way closer to researching the E-100. Less than 45K xp to go. Which isn't too bad in E-75 if you just mildly pay attention to the game while you play it. I really had a god drat blast when I raged out in the Type 59. Too bad that game wasn't winnable. All those scared enemy tanks were prime for killing, but oh well pub teams.

And it was great to go out on my IS finally hitting enemies and scoring its only win of the night even if I blew up half way though the match.

Thanks for all the Ram II discussion. I might grab it sometime if I still have the chance to pay pretty much nothing just to check it out and at worst end up with a garage slot to put another fascist brick in (or finally play around with some glorious Soviet people's brawley tanks I'd probably do better in). Amazon credits are a cool thing like that.

Oh, and I'm totally up for the occasional goon team for random tourneys if anyone needs a fairly competent spaz to pad numbers, goof around, and (try to) kill some pub squads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Captain Blaargh posted:

Oh, and I'm totally up for the occasional goon team for random tourneys if anyone needs a fairly competent spaz to pad numbers, goof around, and (try to) kill some pub squads.

Ditto, only I'm more generally more competent as a benchwarmer.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a different matchmaking weight for platoons? I swear the past week or two I have gotten an average of a 30% win rate, I haven't even even had a single night breaking even. That's worse than the worst players. I remember someone saying there was, but I'm not sure if that's the same kind of folk wisdom as the matchmaker trying to keep people at 50%.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I love seeing 3-man T67 platoons, calling them out as stat-padders, then listening to them get all pissy. This could be a new pastime for me.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a different matchmaking weight for platoons? I swear the past week or two I have gotten an average of a 30% win rate, I haven't even even had a single night breaking even. That's worse than the worst players. I remember someone saying there was, but I'm not sure if that's the same kind of folk wisdom as the matchmaker trying to keep people at 50%.

I think the matchmaker tries to make the number of platoons on both teams fairly equal, however, I do not think it gives a poo poo about your tier so 3 tier 6's can get put against 3 tier 8's and the match maker goes home with another job well done.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

RanKizama posted:

I love seeing 3-man T67 platoons, calling them out as stat-padders, then listening to them get all pissy. This could be a new pastime for me.

My current response to people who accuse me of stat padding is to tell them the best stat-padding strategy. Be good, platoon.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Cromwell B is on sale as a special in EU.
Full crew + BIA. Get it now.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Apparently, I placed 5th in my solo-medium-tournament group by missing the first three games (the first two were technical draws, the third one a technical loss, all because I was too dumb to actually move myself into the team column), and then sabotaging the remaining matches by getting into my CDC and forcing a draw if I could not kill each of the pubbies in their Pershing/Spershing.

150 gold for elite esports. :smug:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's because you platoon with me. :smith:

Also, yeah Captain. Always fun platooning with you. And you too of course Earg. It's nice to not think about the dumb pubs and try to have fun playing this soul sucking game.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

How is the Tetrarch by the way?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Michaellaneous posted:

How is the Tetrarch by the way?

Blind but good gun that benefits heavily from #snapshotmeta.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It was also the beginning of the end for the 38H, and I'm pretty sure it can pen a T127 reliably despite being a tier lower. I remember liking it, but I never really drove it because I never play tier 2.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It was also the beginning of the end for the 38H, and I'm pretty sure it can pen a T127 reliably despite being a tier lower. I remember liking it, but I never really drove it because I never play tier 2.

Yeah the Tetrarch has no issues penning anything since it gets 121 gold pen, but 260m view range is horrifically bad. The Cruiser 3 is a better Tetrarch because it gets the same gun with better stats, can also use the PomPom and clip out almost every other tier 2 in 2 seconds, and has a really good 320m view range which is just ridiculous at tier 2. Tier 5 TDs get 310m, the KV-1 also gets 310m! Also the Cruiser 3 is more mobile and has 15 degrees of gun depression because why give a tank a weakness?

What I'm saying is don't play tier 2s because the matchmaking is poo poo and the map rotation is also poo poo. Turns out the Tetrarch isn't great when your map is one of Himmelsdorf, Mittengard, or Mines.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Counterpoint: Play tier 2 on US west and go undefeated forever because you get matched against baby seals due to the lack of players.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Anyone play Blitz? If so do you use a tablet or something because I tried playing on my phone and its a real pain in the dick trying to do anything on a tiny screen.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Just when you thought you were arty-safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE1V5nSlk7I

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Yeah the Tetrarch has no issues penning anything since it gets 121 gold pen, but 260m view range is horrifically bad. The Cruiser 3 is a better Tetrarch because it gets the same gun with better stats, can also use the PomPom and clip out almost every other tier 2 in 2 seconds, and has a really good 320m view range which is just ridiculous at tier 2. Tier 5 TDs get 310m, the KV-1 also gets 310m! Also the Cruiser 3 is more mobile and has 15 degrees of gun depression because why give a tank a weakness?

What I'm saying is don't play tier 2s because the matchmaking is poo poo and the map rotation is also poo poo. Turns out the Tetrarch isn't great when your map is one of Himmelsdorf, Mittengard, or Mines.

Did they nerf heavy view range along with TDs? I remember that back when I last played lights just sucked because mediums and heavies could see just as far, and lights would get 2-shot by heavies. The high tier lights seem to have more HP now, which is nice.

You're one of those unicums that shoots gold out of everything because you have 20m credits, aren't you?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Did they nerf heavy view range along with TDs? I remember that back when I last played lights just sucked because mediums and heavies could see just as far, and lights would get 2-shot by heavies. The high tier lights seem to have more HP now, which is nice.

You're one of those unicums that shoots gold out of everything because you have 20m credits, aren't you?

Naw the KV-1's always been blind. TD view ranges got loving crippled which is pretty brutal. The AT-2 doesn't really work when you cannot spot anything even while they're firing at you out in the open, and the S35 CA went from the only good tank in the French TD line to being a hollow shell of its former glory.

Yesterday I started with 15 thousand credits. I shoot gold when I need it to win, or when I want to send a message. Enemy CDC complains about gold? I'll load gold for them. Teammate complains about gold? I'll load gold for them.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I miss the mini-maus. I still play it every once in a while but man, that poo poo used to be invincible.

huh, no crying hitler germany flag smilie. Disappointed.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
http://imgur.com/a/L8I8Y 3 marked m46 :) (still hate the tank due to 218 ap pen so i have to use a lot of apcr if i wanna pen stuff my tier

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 18, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Way to Go!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Yesterday I started with 15 thousand credits. I shoot gold when I need it to win, or when I want to send a message. Enemy CDC complains about gold? I'll load gold for them. Teammate complains about gold? I'll load gold for them.

Okay, it must have been someone else who mentioned having 20m credits. Maybe Atomizer?

What's a mark even mean? I don't know if I have ever gotten one.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, it must have been someone else who mentioned having 20m credits. Maybe Atomizer?

What's a mark even mean? I don't know if I have ever gotten one.

Service record/vehicles/awards

Go through those tabs and you can look at your marks of excellence progress. Mouse over the icon to see where you're at and the requirements.

Speaking of marks, trying to get my second on the t34, but for every game that I do 3k+ damage there is one where we get completely rolled and with it's slow speed, no hull armor and huge reload I'm hosed. I'm stuck at 75%

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
The US version of the rng show isn't out yet, but here is the russian one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9HRpQ_NiPw

Highlights include a lot of physics mayhem. This includes an elc doing a barrel roll right on front of a td and popping a shot off while upside down. The other one looks more like a montage specifically targeting hellsau (the final video segment actually) as an enemy e-25 gets flipped over and then left to sit there. They then go though other things like an e-25 getting pushed sideways into an alleyway so it can't turn and get out, an e-25 laid up sideways against a rock. You know, hellsau type skills.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Well poo poo, finally got medium 7 done for the T55A. Thought it would be a complete loss too so just yolo'd the arty but somehow managed to win too.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mostly physics related, I finally fell in love with ramming in the O-I experimental. I had 3 t4 mediums surrounding me. I tracked one and left it with 67 health about one tank length away. I didn't want to waste another 9 second reload on it when there were two other tanks shooting at me, so I started forward, hit the tank at single digit speeds, and it died. 100 tons of fun.

I basically carried that round, stopping an entire push into our base area and giving our survivors time to cap out. I always knew there was a lot to love about that tank.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

BadLlama posted:

Well poo poo, finally got medium 7 done for the T55A. Thought it would be a complete loss too so just yolo'd the arty but somehow managed to win too.

I'm currently stuck on that one.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

JuffoWup posted:

The US version of the rng show isn't out yet, but here is the russian one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9HRpQ_NiPw

Highlights include a lot of physics mayhem. This includes an elc doing a barrel roll right on front of a td and popping a shot off while upside down. The other one looks more like a montage specifically targeting hellsau (the final video segment actually) as an enemy e-25 gets flipped over and then left to sit there. They then go though other things like an e-25 getting pushed sideways into an alleyway so it can't turn and get out, an e-25 laid up sideways against a rock. You know, hellsau type skills.

These physics videos are the best.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Another video showing what the arty mortar mod I linked earlier is capable of. 9.15 is going to be great!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

That's going to be fun to deal with. Not sure how they could block it since its just really showing how much of a angle you need to adjust the tank.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

That's going to be fun to deal with. Not sure how they could block it since its just really showing how much of a angle you need to adjust the tank.

It shows the angle you need, but you also need the mod to prevent the game automatically aiming at the first thing that breaks LOS.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

McGavin posted:

It shows the angle you need, but you also need the mod to prevent the game automatically aiming at the first thing that breaks LOS.

Oh, I didn't know it did that was a thing the game did.

Well apparently it costs money up which will keep its use from being too widespread. At least until some shares it.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
It looks like it's just a toggle (like battle assistant) that changes your firing angle to high angle, probably by doing some range calculations and feeding the game the new elevation angle. The arty isn't doing anything not already in the game, it's just usually the game doesn't let you manually aim up to that extent, and the default aim system always does low angle firing. Arty with less elevation need an assist from the terrain.

In theory, high arc firing is balanced by even longer flight times, so hitting moving targets is right out, and the accuracy would be substantially worse since the shell is flying farther. In practice, the flight time matters less if the enemy is stationary, as they tend to be while hiding behind arty cover, and I dunno if the game is coded to incorporate the actual distance the shell flies, or just says "this target is X meters from your tank, that's the range."

E: also I guess your AP pen would probably be worse as well, but you would just loving dunk on roof armor, so who cares.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 18, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Steelion posted:

I dunno if the game is coded to incorporate the actual distance the shell flies, or just says "this target is X meters from your tank, that's the range."

It uses the actual distance the shell flies. The mod takes longer to land because it uses a stupidly high parabolic arc.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have 37m credits and play like poo poo, my 704 tank destroyer how ever has never fired a standard round. What's the trick with the SU101 by the way, the lack of gun depression just kills it for me on some days map rotations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

program the game to not elevate guns over 45° from the horizon

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

mikemelbrooks posted:

What's the trick with the SU101 by the way, the lack of gun depression just kills it for me on some days map rotations.

Shoot things with your big gun and run away.
It is fast and nimble enough to reposition constantly, and with the 122 you can just shoot everything in the face.
If you know how to play the E25/SU-122-44, the SU-101 is pretty similar.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Last night in Pansy dongholds I killed a guy by driving off a cliff, flying over him, and my Crommy B's rear end goomba stomping him a second after my front touched down thinking I had overshot. I floored reverse and the stars aligned.

An artist's rendition of the magic moment about to happen:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I saw, and it was beautiful. Strongholds are the most fun I've had in this game since I came back. Probably since I played companies back in 2012.

There was also the round where Deviant suicide-rammed a T150 to death in his Cromwell to end the game. I'm not sure if that was even what he was planning, but it was funny.

How is the SU-100Y? I got a free day's rental of it last night and it looks like it should be fun. Bad armor, but 440 damage per shell (510 if you want to throw money away) seems like a lot of fun. You could two-shot anything at T6. It doesn't get pref, does it?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The A-44 is not an enjoyable tank.