Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Slimy Hog posted:

Isn't there a rule about posting the far side?

no, my fellow hog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
cow tools

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Zing!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Wowzers! Thank you!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Slimy Hog posted:

Gary Larson wrote some weird letter comparing his comics to being like his children and people posting them on the Internet was like his children going into dark alleys and being raped and murdered or some dumb poo poo. Anyway for some reason people really took this letter seriously and that his comics not be posted so someone in GBS making jokes about a kid dying or a bomb going off and killing dozens would then fly into a rage because someone posted a Far Side comic because I guess they were loving retarded

The point is feel free to post far side comics

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Same, but with mirrors

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

oldpainless posted:

Gary Larson wrote some weird letter comparing his comics to being like his children and people posting them on the Internet was like his children going into dark alleys and being raped and murdered or some dumb poo poo. Anyway for some reason people really took this letter seriously and that his comics not be posted so someone in GBS making jokes about a kid dying or a bomb going off and killing dozens would then fly into a rage because someone posted a Far Side comic because I guess they were loving retarded

This is the best summary of this phenomenon I've ever seen.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
More like "some artists say 'DONT POST MY ART :mad: :mad: :mad:' and Larson was all 'dont post my art :shobon:'" so more people were willing to defend and honor the request

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Yeah, Larson was way nicer about asking than that explanation. And also everyone who's ever asked something like that. So goons are generally okay with honoring that request.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Slimy Hog posted:

that's kind of a weird exception because it was a misprint where the punchlines of the two strips were swapped and yet they still kinda worked

i don't think that was ever reprinted anywhere

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Some of the best sound effects written :

I really love this one for the GODDATHUNDAAA and the purple nurple :haw:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

oldpainless posted:

Actually Gary Larsson politely requested that people don't post his cartoons online since he feels weird seeing them online. I don't think it really matters if you post them on the something awful forums since Gary Larsson for sure does not post here, but some goons get really defensive when you suggest they acquiesce to polite requests.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'm the guy who draws Achewood. Please don't post my comics. :kiddo:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I'm the guy who draws all bad comics please stop posting my comics

i don't know who that kennel guy is im the one who does achewood because it is a bad comic

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kennel posted:

You're such a cool guy that I'll honour this request, and other people should too.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm perfectly fine with never encountering achwood comics too.
perhaps you should petition Lowtax.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
hi i write all th good funny comics. youre a bunch of idiot bitches who better stop posting them or ill kick all your asses. bitches.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hello, I'm the stretchy-faced alien that draws Moon Over June. Please post my comics everywhere. :riker:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Twitch posted:

Hello, I'm the stretchy-faced alien that draws Moon Over June. Please post my comics everywhere. :riker:

All the politeness in the world won't let me forget your years of tyranny!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Evilreaver posted:

More like "some artists say 'DONT POST MY ART :mad: :mad: :mad:' and Larson was all 'dont post my art :shobon:'" so more people were willing to defend and honor the request
No, he really was incredibly weird about it.

quote:

These cartoons are my “children,” of sorts, and like a parent, I’m concerned about where they go at night without telling me. And, seeing them at someone’s web site is like getting the call at 2:00 a.m. that goes, “Uh, Dad, you’re not going to like this much, but guess where I am.”

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
I'm Don Martin

"Fonebone"

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

No, he really was incredibly weird about it.

That's called a figure of speech and you're not supposed to take it literally.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Kennel posted:

Isn't it about time you go into another weird depression cycle?

Btw, hows that craft soda business going?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

I enjoyed the hulk bathroom butt going "RARRGH!", because it is reasonable to believe it would. My immersion remains pristine.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
C.H.U.D.D

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Bundle of Keys posted:

That's called a figure of speech and you're not supposed to take it literally.

Get real. If Tim Buckly said that, everyone would be still be mocking him for it. Larson is just talented enough that everyone gives him a pass on it. For decades his comics have been in newspapers, books, office cubicles and on teacher's doors, but he simply can't handle them being on the internet. It's silly and it's ok to call it silly.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage
"*Thing you crafted and care about* is like my kid" is a common figure of speech and it's weird to see goons getting weirded out by it.

mooncity
Feb 15, 2014

You're so wet Cyntia. I cannot possibly describe how wet you are.
I'm me, and I [don't] draw a comic called Dreaming of Utopia, and it's like my own child... but I don't like kids all that much, so you go right ahead and post it so [not] I will know at least somebody out there reads it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Comics!

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Dr_Amazing posted:

Get real. If Tim Buckly said that, everyone would be still be mocking him for it. Larson is just talented enough that everyone gives him a pass on it. For decades his comics have been in newspapers, books, office cubicles and on teacher's doors, but he simply can't handle them being on the internet. It's silly and it's ok to call it silly.

Ugh. What happened is that his syndicate got mad about his comics being posted online, because they don't make money off of that. Larson wrote that message as a polite appeal not to do it, and to placate his bosses. Larson isn't really sperging out about his "babies" lost in the dark forest.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

oldpainless posted:

it's especially dumb because Larson didn't even mean "don't post any of my comics", he was mad at sites that posted ALL of his comics, meaning there was no reason to buy his books

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Hi I'm that Larson guy IRL, don't touch my smooth babies people

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
who loving cares what he said anymore jesus christ

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Slime posted:

who loving cares what he said anymore jesus christ

Many internet people

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Oh my God I have never wanted to post Far side comics less in my life.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

oldpainless posted:

Many internet people

people are posting large imagedumps of my comics, causing people to not buy my books.

the solution to this is to never post single comics for any reason

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Holy poo poo, bravo. Took me a minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Nitrox posted:

Holy poo poo, bravo. Took me a minute

idgi please help