Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is dumb and probably abuse of the thread, but I'm looking for a song I never heard. Last week I overheard two pothead-sounding guys talking about a song that sampled the clicking sound the velociraptors in Jurassic Park used to talk to each other, possibly repeated as the bassline of the song. They left before I could hear more, but I'm very curious now.

Does anyone know of a recent release that uses Jurassic Park velociraptor click samples? I'm sorry for the dumb request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

There is a trumpet bit at about 3:05 in this which I'm pretty sure is from a Chicago song (the band, not the city) but I can't work out what it is. The Chicago version may or may not have been on an organ. Help?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57izAeJ58ew&t=186s

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

mirthdefect posted:

There is a trumpet bit at about 3:05 in this which I'm pretty sure is from a Chicago song (the band, not the city) but I can't work out what it is. The Chicago version may or may not have been on an organ. Help?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57izAeJ58ew&t=186s

Are you thinking of Summer Breeze?

https://youtu.be/MsW8rXPcnM0

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Yes I was. That was even in my Spotify weekly playlist earlier today but I still didn't get it.
Thank you!

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Erebus posted:

The bit at the beginning is F.U.K.T - The Linkup, but that's probably not the part you're asking about. I dunno what the rest of the track is, although the guy at the end is still talking about F.U.K.T so maybe it's something else of theirs. Or if you can find a playlist for whatever set this was you can find out what came after the Linkup.

Oh thanks, at least it's a start! I tried to look for a setlist but unfortunately it's a Danish dubstep DJ and the mix is from 9 years ago, so I haven't been able to find a thing. I can't quite make out what he was saying/don't speak Danish? so that's helpful and I can maybe try and look around for tunes from that outfit prior to the date of the mix. You're right though, it wasn't the part I was looking for, just wanted to get as much of the tune as I could in the clip because I actually listen to it, heh. Hence the fadeout etc. Would be nice to have the entire tune.

*sneak edit- I don't even know the DJs name, all I know is that it sounds like the intro says 'Dance/Danish Dubstep Design'. Clueless me :)

when worlds collide fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 2, 2016

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

when worlds collide posted:

Oh thanks, at least it's a start! I tried to look for a setlist but unfortunately it's a Danish dubstep DJ and the mix is from 9 years ago, so I haven't been able to find a thing. I can't quite make out what he was saying/don't speak Danish? so that's helpful and I can maybe try and look around for tunes from that outfit prior to the date of the mix. You're right though, it wasn't the part I was looking for, just wanted to get as much of the tune as I could in the clip because I actually listen to it, heh. Hence the fadeout etc. Would be nice to have the entire tune.

*sneak edit- I don't even know the DJs name, all I know is that it sounds like the intro says 'Dance/Danish Dubstep Design'. Clueless me :)

Oh, well you should've said that to begin with.

You were hearing Dansk Dubstep Design, which means the set this came from was probably this

quote:

1. Don Skeleton – Rise of the Skeleton
2. Ballistics – Spines
3. F.U.K.T – Play With Fire
vs. F.U.K.T med B Live & Faction G – Karma
4. Kee Fritchards – Bush pwns the world
5. Ballistics – Largo
6. Obeah – Copenhagen Massive (Kraken Recordings 001)
7. Don Skeleton – Farligt
8. RUF – Lovin Gal
9. Don Skeleton – Boy
10. Ballistics – Falling
11. Don Skeleton – Bad Mood (The Linkup remiks)
12. F.U.K.T med B-Live & Faction G – The Linkup
13. Ballistics – Tothebass (vokal: Peter Lane)
14. F.U.K.T – GO! (DJ2000F remix featuring Juiceman & Simba)
15. RUF – Raw Love (Kraken Recordings 002)
16. Don Skeleton – Sahara
17. Even – Order (Kraken Recordings 003)
18. Even – Thoughts Running
19. Ballistics – Think

Which means the song you're looking for is Ballistics - Tothebass.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Maybe a decade ago a friend put on a playlist that was all songs with a trippy, disconnected sound. It would come in with snippets of different familiar songs before slowly warping into the unrecognizable again. The tracks all had single word names but the only one I can remember is "Donkey" (at least I think I remember it). It could have been just some random poo poo he found, but I was hoping someone else might have heard of it once.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Erebus posted:

Oh, well you should've said that to begin with.

You were hearing Dansk Dubstep Design, which means the set this came from was probably this

Which means the song you're looking for is Ballistics - Tothebass.

I have found that admitting my cluenessness straight off the bat tends to make things a lot smoother, yes. ;) You just made my day, that is EXACTLY the setlist, I recognise the others. Thank you sooo much. Curious where you found it? And yes, Dansk Dubstep Design. I don't even remember where I got the mix from, have had it a few years now. Cheers :D

*sneak edit- also thanks to you, my investigating FUKT brought me the tune 'Meant To Be' and I love it. I'm an old junglist and for some reason had never heard them before, I love the whole shtick, reminds me of London Elektricity some. So double thanks :)

*edit redux- I can't find this tune anywhere, not on discogs either apparently, if anyone has any suggestions of where I can purchase it? Credit card is throbbing

when worlds collide fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 2, 2016

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

when worlds collide posted:

I have found that admitting my cluenessness straight off the bat tends to make things a lot smoother, yes. ;) You just made my day, that is EXACTLY the setlist, I recognise the others. Thank you sooo much. Curious where you found it?

Searching for Dansk Dubstep Design and the Linkup only gives you a few results, one of which being some old blog where someone happened to type out the playlist. It links to a dubstep forum you have to have to be registered to see, so I don't know what's there, but maybe that's where you got it?

quote:

*edit redux- I can't find this tune anywhere, not on discogs either apparently, if anyone has any suggestions of where I can purchase it? Credit card is throbbing

Yeah, I noticed there seems to be little evidence of the song on the Internet anywhere. Last.fm has like one person who listened to a song titled "Ballistics - tothebass 050907 160 kbps" and that's about it. So you're not likely to find it unless you find one of these old mp3s somebody still has on a hard drive somewhere.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Erebus posted:

Searching for Dansk Dubstep Design and the Linkup only gives you a few results, one of which being some old blog where someone happened to type out the playlist. It links to a dubstep forum you have to have to be registered to see, so I don't know what's there, but maybe that's where you got it?

Yeah, I noticed there seems to be little evidence of the song on the Internet anywhere. Last.fm has like one person who listened to a song titled "Ballistics - tothebass 050907 160 kbps" and that's about it. So you're not likely to find it unless you find one of these old mp3s somebody still has on a hard drive somewhere.

Wow, I'm really impressed. I actually 'liked' it on last.fm too but couldn't find any other sign of it other than that mysterious person. My search skills were nigh fruitless. Thank you so much. I'll check out this blog/forum, I might have been on it years ago, but I also knew a lot of producers so it could have been passed on that way. Seems this tune is unreleased, gosh I'm disappointed but I'm not going to give up yet. At least I have my one cropped out of the mix but 160, yuck. If only I spoke Danish :P Cheers Erebus

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Anyone know the jazzy song in this video? Shazam failed me.

http://es.pn/26PSxpI

ActionJacksonATL
Nov 9, 2006

So I heard a Hawaiian female singer cover Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus and I swore I heard "Gavahee" but not sure how to spell it and not finding anything... my google fu is weak. Any help appreciated!

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

ActionJacksonATL posted:

So I heard a Hawaiian female singer cover Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus and I swore I heard "Gavahee" but not sure how to spell it and not finding anything... my google fu is weak. Any help appreciated!

Probably Kawehi.

ActionJacksonATL
Nov 9, 2006

Yup that's it, thanks!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What song's playing in this vine? https://vine.co/v/iQZKQDJhBFv

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jewel Repetition posted:

What song's playing in this vine? https://vine.co/v/iQZKQDJhBFv

Sounds like a modified version of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBYjZTdrJlA

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What's the really famous song playing in this? http://mememaster.tumblr.com/post/142312594289/getting-to-the-end-of-the-week-like

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Booker T & the MG's - Green Onions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bpS-cOBK6Q

Rhumbus
May 11, 2009
I'm looking for the name of the song that this remix is based on. It's driving me insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctg5Btcthmc&t=592s

My guess is late 90s or early 00s, and Shazam and the comments on the video don't help.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Rhumbus posted:

I'm looking for the name of the song that this remix is based on. It's driving me insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctg5Btcthmc&t=592s

My guess is late 90s or early 00s, and Shazam and the comments on the video don't help.

Mamma Mia by ABBA.

Rhumbus
May 11, 2009

Tenterhooks posted:

Mamma Mia by ABBA.

THANK YOU

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?
I'm really struggling to find this one song/video I'm hoping someone here can help me. It's a music video from like mid-2000s.

The video is like a birthday video the band is singing to this girl who is just turning 18/21/legal age. The song is about all these guys coming over for the birthday party waiting for her to unwrap her gift. It's a funny video about turning of age and being able to drink and party with all these dudes and her friends.

I can't seem to find it specifically because anytime I start searching for birthday videos even if they're funny or spoof videos I get swamped down with the thousands of other actually bday vids. Thx

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
Here's an obscure one that's been bothering me for a couple days.

There was an alternative/hip-hop song I heard on the radio about 1.5-2.5 years ago (specifically Live105 in SF). Some newish band I'd never heard before. I swear I heard the same song in a movie (or maybe game?) trailer a little more recently.

There was a prevalent snare drum line sorta like "da-da-da-da-da-da-da, pause, da-da-da-da-da-da-da, lyrics". That's about all I can remember but it's burning a goddamn hole in my brain and I need to know what the name of the song is.

pctD fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 13, 2016

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Is it Portishead - Machine Gun?

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug

wayfinder posted:

Is it Portishead - Machine Gun?

Nope. The song I'm thinking of had a male lead.

EDIT: Welp, I just wrote a script to scrape Live 105's playlist archive for a specified date range and output any artists that it doesn't recognize (based on a blacklist I'm updating). Currently running that against Jan/Feb of 2014. We'll see if it gets me anywhere.

pctD fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 13, 2016

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
Haha, found it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndpryp2OlUQ

I ended up scraping all of 2013, 2014, and 2015. I was right about the game trailer part, apparently it was in the Black Ops 3 trailer. The beat was a little different in my head though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm thinking of a song, punk, possibly pop-punk. I've also been listening to a lot of folk punk, but I feel like it was more electric. One of the lines is something like "I've been thinking about the way that thinking leads to drinking," and around that it has a few more plays on drinking / thinking / other rhyming words. Kind of a long shot, but it's stuck in my head and I haven't found anything googling.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm thinking of a song, punk, possibly pop-punk. I've also been listening to a lot of folk punk, but I feel like it was more electric. One of the lines is something like "I've been thinking about the way that thinking leads to drinking," and around that it has a few more plays on drinking / thinking / other rhyming words. Kind of a long shot, but it's stuck in my head and I haven't found anything googling.

Maybe Horse by Voodoo Kids, but I can't find the song itself so I have no idea how punk it is.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

All I can find is the band's facebook page, which is some sort of bluegrass/americana thing. So I'm guessing that's not it, even though I can't find that particular song on their facebook.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm trying to remember a song probably from the 80's that I used to hear all the time in malls and department stores (NYC USA) as a kid in the mid-late 80's. I just recently heard it on the radio in a coffee shop but the lyrics fell out of my head before I got home to google it. All I remember is it's an atmospheric synthy song that sounded kind of like a slowed down Axel F with mumbled or soft female vocals. It didn't sound like a typical upbeat 80's pop song or a ballad, it was kind of weird and almost experimental sounding (or as close as it got on 80's pop radio). It's almost like something you'd hear on one of those pure moods CDs but it still had a beat. I know it's not much to go on because I can't remember a single lyric but maybe someone will know what I'm talking about. Since I heard it on regular radio recently it can't be that obscure

d0s fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 17, 2016

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

d0s posted:

I'm trying to remember a song probably from the 80's that I used to hear all the time in malls and department stores (NYC USA) as a kid in the mid-late 80's. I just recently heard it on the radio in a coffee shop but the lyrics fell out of my head before I got home to google it. All I remember is it's an atmospheric synthy song that sounded kind of like a slowed down Axel F with mumbled or soft female vocals. It didn't sound like a typical upbeat 80's pop song or a ballad, it was kind of weird and almost experimental sounding (or as close as it got on 80's pop radio). It's almost like something you'd hear on one of those pure moods CDs but it still had a beat. I know it's not much to go on because I can't remember a single lyric but maybe someone will know what I'm talking about. Since I heard it on regular radio recently it can't be that obscure

Crikey, this could be a lot of things. A few random big-name guesses for starters: Eurythmics, who get pretty synthey (that's my best bet) / Altered Images / Cocteau Twins / Enya (for that Pure Moods vibe). Could be different songs by these artists too. Clicking around the related videos might get you close.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Tenterhooks posted:

Crikey, this could be a lot of things. A few random big-name guesses for starters: Eurythmics, who get pretty synthey (that's my best bet) / Altered Images / Cocteau Twins / Enya (for that Pure Moods vibe). Could be different songs by these artists too. Clicking around the related videos might get you close.

Naw it's none of those, the key for me is the Axel F comparison, the chorus is sung almost exactly to the tune of the Axel F synth riff but a bit slower and the singing isn't really prominent or clear it's like background or used as an instrument, which is part of why I can't really remember lyrics. For all I know the lyrics are just hooting noises or something, it's kinda detached sounding. It's a really muzak-ish song but also pretty catchy.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

d0s posted:

Naw it's none of those, the key for me is the Axel F comparison, the chorus is sung almost exactly to the tune of the Axel F synth riff but a bit slower and the singing isn't really prominent or clear it's like background or used as an instrument, which is part of why I can't really remember lyrics. For all I know the lyrics are just hooting noises or something, it's kinda detached sounding. It's a really muzak-ish song but also pretty catchy.

Long shot (and wrong decade) but maybe Ask The Mountains by Vangelis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OH0lWZ_Qgg

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

SkunkDuster posted:

Long shot (and wrong decade) but maybe Ask The Mountains by Vangelis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OH0lWZ_Qgg

Nope, it was more uptempo than that (but still not a very fast song) and obviously 80's sounding. Honestly I'm going to give up until I hear it again or some lyrics pop into my head because what I remember is so vague and there are like a million songs from that decade that fit the description.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

d0s posted:

First thing that comes to mind is something from Enigma, though I don't know of any songs that sound like Axel F.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG7Bs_BCC5w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFLRHPUWBI8

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Don't Go by Yazoo?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I Can't Wait by Nu Shooz

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

It's none of those, I'm starting to think it was some local one hit wonder act that only got played here because I spent my teens and 20's in Florida and never heard it once and then I come back here a year ago and hear it again played in a store for the first time in 20 years

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

If you were here, I'd bet $5 it is "Quantum Mechanic" by Thomas Dolby. Chorus starts at about 3:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvr-_qWAl14

edit: Fits the description perfectly, but it wasn't released until 1994. So maybe not.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

SkunkDuster posted:

If you were here, I'd bet $5 it is "Quantum Mechanic" by Thomas Dolby. Chorus starts at about 3:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvr-_qWAl14

edit: Fits the description perfectly, but it wasn't released until 1994. So maybe not.

Not it, the song I'm thinking of is chiller but it's way more in the ballpark of what I'm thinking about than anything else posted so far. I left New York in 1991 so it had to be before that. I'm also wondering if it's maybe not some 70's disco-ish thing and I'm looking in the wrong decade. I know jack poo poo about that sort of music though, which makes searching way harder than with 80's music where I know what artists to obviously skip over when looking at "mega 80's hits playlist!!!" on youtube etc.

e: by in the ballpark I mean the chorus itself, the rest of the song isn't anything like it

d0s fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 18, 2016