Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Tank control survival horror is good survival horror :colbert:

*Have not played Back in 1995

With caveats. Enemies should be designed around it and there needs to be some quality of life decisions like auto-aim or quick turn. Resident Evil 5 existed in a post-Dead Space world and was super frustrating not because of the tank controls necessarily, but because enemies were faster yet the levels were smaller. And then you have a mandatory second character on top of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Speaking of, man, Rule of Rose had one of the best stories and general atmosphere ever (the twist at the end might be the biggest "I just want to take a shower now" moment I've experienced in a videogame), and then the gameplay was tank control survival horror why.

What's the story/twist? I already know I'm never gonna be able to play it, and everything I hear about the game is that it's just really frustrating and annoying to play but also that it has a good plot

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

What's the story/twist? I already know I'm never gonna be able to play it, and everything I hear about the game is that it's just really frustrating and annoying to play but also that it has a good plot
I'd recommend watching a LP/longplay at least, there's one in the LP Archive and a chunk of them on YouTube. Explaining it rather ruins it and its genuinely great stuff.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, it isn't really something that can be explained as it's kind of a very effective gut punch to every scene you'd collectively played through.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
I recently tried this one puzzle/horror title called Irisu Syndrome on a whim, since I'd heard there was apparently more to it than its seemingly innocuous surface, but I've been playing for an hour or so now and still can't find what's supposed to be off about it. Has anyone else tried this one, and if you have, could you give me some pointers?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Did you get the English patch? The game gets weirder the higher you score, if I remember.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
At certain points you get things to happen, basically. Text files and pictures in the game folder that explain the story. I didn't have the English patch when I played it so I was trying to piece together what the gently caress was going on with the pictures, the background of the stages (they change a bit as you get higher scores) and that... cinematic. As mean as it sounds, really the only advice one can give is "get better," but it's not to difficult to do so, I think.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
My PC poo poo itself and I was half way through eh Rule of Rose LP. Really worth watching as the LPer (Can't remember the name) does a great job of showing everything off and because it's a Goon thread it's not an annoying, shrieking youtuber either. Hope I can finish it soon.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

King Vidiot posted:

Maybe it's just me and my childhood fear of dolls, but I really think horror games need to use more dolls in creepy scenes like that. Or more to the point, living dolls as enemies. They had something like that in that super-early scrapped version of Resident Evil 4 and I'm kind of disappointed they didn't keep it in.
The only good part of the 360 launch title Condemned was a classic "mannequins coming to life when you're not looking at them" level.

Vampire: Bloodlines didn't have a doll level but there's a fetish you have to retrieve with a neat little spooky story attached (squad of soldiers stationed in Africa goes to sleep one night and dolls are found in their beds in the morning)

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Basic Chunnel posted:

Vampire: Bloodlines didn't have a doll level but there's a fetish you have to retrieve with a neat little spooky story attached (squad of soldiers stationed in Africa goes to sleep one night and dolls are found in their beds in the morning)

I don't remember that at all. Just means I have to re-play Vampire game I guess!

Did I hear somewhere that Obsidian had the rights to make more Vampire games or was that just a beautiful fever dream I had?

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Basic Chunnel posted:

The only good part of the 360 launch title Condemned was a classic "mannequins coming to life when you're not looking at them" level.

Really visceral combat too. At least, that's how I recall it; if I go back and play it again, I'll probably just think it's clunky and awful.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Basic Chunnel posted:

Nah the farmhouse was also rad, shame the last level after that was awful and I never beat the game.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Speaking of dolls, there's a sixth FNAF on the way: http://www.scottgames.com/

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chev posted:

Speaking of dolls, there's a sixth FNAF on the way: http://www.scottgames.com/

I honestly wish this guy milks his franchise for as long as it works.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

unpacked robinhood posted:

He seems like someone who genuinely likes what he does, and I'm okay with this. Shame his RPG wasn't good.

Plus it makes for good Youtubin', with the right youtubers anyway.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ChogsEnhour posted:

I don't remember that at all. Just means I have to re-play Vampire game I guess!

Did I hear somewhere that Obsidian had the rights to make more Vampire games or was that just a beautiful fever dream I had?

Paradox Interactive own the rights to Vampire now and they have a close working relationship with Obsidian, so you're half-right.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'd disagree with that quite a lot. I'll agree that Condemned looks dated now, 11 years later, but at the time it did what it did very effectively, in a genre that's not at all easy to work with.

That said yeah the unexpected mannequins sequence was my favorite in that game.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

unpacked robinhood posted:

There are FNAF trading cards in stores.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skyscraper posted:

I'd disagree with that quite a lot. I'll agree that Condemned looks dated now, 11 years later, but at the time it did what it did very effectively, in a genre that's not at all easy to work with.

That said yeah the unexpected mannequins sequence was my favorite in that game.

And the second game brings back the mannequins for a short segment for no reason other than to gently caress with players who remembered that part.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Paradox Interactive own the rights to Vampire now and they have a close working relationship with Obsidian, so you're half-right.

Also I believe a new Vampire Bloodlines thing was copyrighted or something, with Paradox being cagey about why.

E: Its a trademark. http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=87014210&caseSearchType=US_APPLICATION&caseType=DEFAULT&searchType=statusSearch

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 17, 2016

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

chitoryu12 posted:

And the second game brings back the mannequins for a short segment for no reason other than to gently caress with players who remembered that part.

YES! The second game really was better than people gave it credit for, and I really wish it had got a PC port. If only for that one level. You know the one.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Condemned games are really good even with their missteps. Sad there's no plans for a third.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a doctor insider man on the tweeter is saying Resident Evil 7 is being designed in part by one of the Kojipro men who did MGSV and PT and will be at E3 so there's your hopeful spark of light for horror games

http://gematsu.com/2016/05/rumor-resident-evil-6-announced-e3-returns-horror-roots

The insider guy in question is pretty reputable so if true, I'm kind of excited to see what they come up with.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

oldpainless posted:

The Condemned games are really good even with their missteps. Sad there's no plans for a third.

There's a point in the first game where you become less and less sure of what the hell you're seeing is real. And I *loved* the nightmare levels in Condemned 2.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Skyscraper posted:

YES! The second game really was better than people gave it credit for, and I really wish it had got a PC port. If only for that one level. You know the one.

The cabin in the woods?

But yeah, despite the mistakes they're guilty of making, I thoroughly enjoyed the Condemned series. The first installment looks perfectly grounded compared to the second, whose story and set-pieces fly off the rails like they're trying to exit Earth's orbit. I mean, you have a mission that takes place in a possessed doll factory, one in a museum during a riot (complete with looters decked out in medieval garb and weapons, and a nightmare-hospital host to black tar...things. And that's to say nothing of the legitimately insane plot.

Still, the game could be legitimately scary, while the combat was satisfying without making you feel too powerful.

Wasn't this series going to be a movie or miniseries at one point?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I recall it was optioned for a film adaptation, but so have a lot of games (Bioshock, MGS. Deus Ex got to the "Willem Dafoe is attached" stage).

Condemned made the mistake that nearly every *intense modern melee* game makes - adding guns near the end. Plus weapon degradation is more or less never done well and Condemned is no exception

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

HighwireAct posted:

I recently tried this one puzzle/horror title called Irisu Syndrome on a whim, since I'd heard there was apparently more to it than its seemingly innocuous surface, but I've been playing for an hour or so now and still can't find what's supposed to be off about it. Has anyone else tried this one, and if you have, could you give me some pointers?

Irisu Syndrome's great, and it's a much better experience playing it vs. watching someone else play. Keep an eye on the game folder.

The dev made another game, Love Mochi, but I don't know how good it is because it's ios exclusive. There's a PC version and an english patch floating around somewhere, though. Looks like the dev made some other games recently, too. I might try em out and see if they're worth recommending in this thread.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Basic Chunnel posted:

I recall it was optioned for a film adaptation, but so have a lot of games (Bioshock, MGS. Deus Ex got to the "Willem Dafoe is attached" stage).

Condemned made the mistake that nearly every *intense modern melee* game makes - adding guns near the end. Plus weapon degradation is more or less never done well and Condemned is no exception

I don't remember exactly but did weapons even "degrade" in Condemned? I seem to recall that, most of the time, you'd fire a weapon until it was out of ammo and then it was on to the next thing. I never really held on to anything long enough for them to degrade.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Condemned's melee weapons were the focus of the first game, but iirc gunplay had a heavier emphasis in the second. But yeah you'd get either a certain number of hits or a certain number of kills before your weapons would break, and there were tiers of weapon durability, so there were cheap 2x4s everywhere but you could find baseball bats or lead pipes that would last longer. It was pretty pointless / didn't add much.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

To this day I still can't bludgeon a lunch lady to death without pausing during it covered in blood to think of condemned and smile a little smile.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Condemned was partially so awesome because it was a 360 launch title. Horror games are hard to do right, and so are console launches. They nailed it first time out of the gate.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't remember exactly but did weapons even "degrade" in Condemned? I seem to recall that, most of the time, you'd fire a weapon until it was out of ammo and then it was on to the next thing. I never really held on to anything long enough for them to degrade.

The first Condemned only had weapon degradation for guns flipped around to use as melee weapons, so there was really no reason to switch melee unless you had some bizarre urge to try out everything or got saddled with something that doesn't suit your play style. Generally you'd beat everyone up with a 2x4 or conduit until you got a gun, use up the ammo, then grab the next melee weapon you saw and continue on.

Condemned 2 added unarmed combat and environmental finishers, so they added weapon degradation to everything to encourage players to use the new mechanics and change up their weapons more.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Decided I wanted to try the PS3 Siren game, I'd forgotten it was broken into about 20 bits because downloading a single 20GB file was crazy talk in 2008 :shepicide:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I love that out of nowhere Condemned 2 had you fighting a magician doing a stage show because Sander Cohen was so loving popular after BioShock came out.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

The first Condemned only had weapon degradation for guns flipped around to use as melee weapons, so there was really no reason to switch melee unless you had some bizarre urge to try out everything or got saddled with something that doesn't suit your play style. Generally you'd beat everyone up with a 2x4 or conduit until you got a gun, use up the ammo, then grab the next melee weapon you saw and continue on.

Condemned 2 added unarmed combat and environmental finishers, so they added weapon degradation to everything to encourage players to use the new mechanics and change up their weapons more.

Was it 1 or 2 that had you swap weapons on occasion to unlock/destroy obstacles.

Like in order to bust down a door, you'd need an axe, but to bust open some sort of picked door you'd need a shovel

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The cabin in the woods?
YES

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

But yeah, despite the mistakes they're guilty of making, I thoroughly enjoyed the Condemned series. The first installment looks perfectly grounded compared to the second, whose story and set-pieces fly off the rails like they're trying to exit Earth's orbit. I mean, you have a mission that takes place in a possessed doll factory, one in a museum during a riot (complete with looters decked out in medieval garb and weapons, and a nightmare-hospital host to black tar...things. And that's to say nothing of the legitimately insane plot.
You know, I remembered that it went absolutely crazy over the top, which is something I love in a plot, but I had forgotten exactly what kind of things it had in it. Also, the last level was pretty amazing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

exploding mummy posted:

Was it 1 or 2 that had you swap weapons on occasion to unlock/destroy obstacles.

Like in order to bust down a door, you'd need an axe, but to bust open some sort of picked door you'd need a shovel

That was the first one. Axe to chop up a wooden door and a pipe to bend open a rusty chain, stuff like that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

chitoryu12 posted:

This was the worst idea in 2, coincidentally. The second worst was adding the weapon holster upgrade so you could carry a gun and a melee weapon at the same time, or two guns.

Condemned was at its best when a gun was a very, very temporary solution to a couple problems, quickly discarded for a convenient paper shredded or locker door as soon as it ran dry.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I thought it was a launch title but The Darkness doesn't get enough credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Darkness 1 was rad and better than it had any right to be considering the source material was the textbook example of dumb 90's edge.

Starbreeze/Machine Games make great single-player FPSes.