Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lots of fun to be had in a 4x like Civ without growing a million unit, dozen city empire. The exploration compoenent is very finite in terms of actual exploration, its really only discovering layouts of known quantities. Tall is fun, avoiding war and rebuffing large invasions is still a challenge. You just take away much of the micromanagement burden and needless repetition.

Unless I need to open up new trade routes, sell extra citrus or discover you along with my printing press, rival civs can stay on their side of Pangea and do their own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

That's totally not how I'm reading it. How I see it is the ability to combine "support" units like AA guns, great generals or maybe ranged units with typical melee units like cavalry or warriors

We'll see. They didn't specifically mention that melee+ranged is impossible, but the two different mechanics they mentioned did not seem to allow for that. In my mind ranged units are not support, but "support" was never a hard mechanical concept anyway.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Rexides posted:

I would like to see some kind of "colony" mechanic that can act as a city in terms of border growth and resource acquisition, but doesn't contribute to the main pressure levers (military production, science, culture) the way a normal city can. Then maybe that can force players to actively expand and compete for land, and make turtling in strategies not as good, while not requiring too much cognitive power from those of us who want to build singular super cities. I remember that Civ III had a similar mechanic, but it was there merely to grab some distant resource that no one else had settled.

Yeah that'd be good.

If they really wanted to stick the "Tall vs. Wide" gameplay they could maybe have two types of settlement even? Like a City and a Town, where it wouldn't really be optimal to have more than 5 cities but you could comfortably shove out 15 towns or whatever.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Jastiger posted:

I REALLY hope they bring back outposts so you don't have to plop a city down in Antarctica to get one of 3 uranium deposits. Vassals too would be ridiculously enjoyable in a game like this too.

I really hope they bring this back as well as airfields. Useless to some, maybe, but I enjoyed using them as shuttle points for bombers/paratroopers.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 18, 2016

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I hope the Dromons come back.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
loving hexes? Again???

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

CountFosco posted:

loving hexes? Again???

Yeah man, where's my octagon/square tesselated tileset?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Hexes are better than squares for a strategy game. Easily the least controversial change in Civ 5 in my opinion.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

CountFosco posted:

loving hexes? Again???

Agreed. Worst of the shapes. I want to play as the leader of a human civilization, not as a loving bee.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

CountFosco posted:

loving hexes? Again???

They're here to stay, sorry. I would prefer an arc-based free-form movement mechanism, but that's just not practical.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

CountFosco posted:

loving hexes? Again???

When are we going to get beloved triangles

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

The Human Crouton posted:

Agreed. Worst of the shapes. I want to play as the leader of a human civilization, not as a loving bee.
I'd emptyquote this except that I love the hexes and also am a bee.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What's wrong with a pentagon or even a decent heptagon instead?

Harmonia
Jul 1, 2014
This tidbit is interesting:

'As time goes on and farmland becomes less essential, you can start replacing those farms with suburban communities — called "neighborhoods" — to house more citizens.'

From http://mashable.com/2016/05/11/civilization-6-reveal-details/

Every info I get about Civ 6 gets me more and more pumped.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Oh great! Now I can convert valuable farmland to copy pasted suburbs! Just like real life!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

JVNO posted:

Oh great! Now I can convert valuable farmland to copy pasted suburbs! Just like real life!

Name the planned community after the farm it replaced. Collect $2,000 in HOA assessments each year from each house.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Poil posted:

What's wrong with a pentagon or even a decent heptagon instead?

equilateral pentagons can't tessellate

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Harmonia posted:

'As time goes on and farmland becomes less essential, you can start replacing those farms with suburban communities — called "neighborhoods" — to house more citizens.'

From http://mashable.com/2016/05/11/civilization-6-reveal-details/

Every info I get about Civ 6 gets me more and more pumped.
I'm pretty sure that's just a bad quote- it seems completely redundant with districts, which we know basically fill the same role.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

sarmhan posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just a bad quote- it seems completely redundant with districts, which we know basically fill the same role.

It could be that your city has a population cap, which building these suburban districts could help alleviate. Want to grow above size 10? You're gonna need some sprawl.

Man, protecting cities is going to be a bitch in Civ 6.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

"Civ IV players talked about Cottage Spam on Elizabeth a lot, we found a way to appease them!"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

majormonotone posted:

equilateral pentagons can't tessellate

I'd play Civ on that.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 18, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Yeah, there's room for a whole 12 cities!

Actually, a micro-4X game where every tile is a city could potentially be interesting. No terrain to speak of, but diplomacy becomes incredibly important and every city is always vulnerable to attack.

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

sarmhan posted:

I imagine "neighborhoods" or suburbs to be a type of district, like market, academy, docks, etc.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Harmonia posted:

Another way to phrase it: Cottages are back baby! :dance:

(I'm beginning to wonder exactly to what extent they're going to turn city maintenance into a SimCity minigame though)

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Star Warrior X posted:

I imagine "neighborhoods" or suburbs to be a type of district, like market, academy, docks, etc.
Maybe, but I just thing 'neighborhoods' is just a mistranslation or understanding of districts. We know districts are capped by population, go on the map (and replace tile improvemetns), and obviously increase in variety and number (since your cities are bigger) as time goes on. Having a district which specifically plays into some kind of population cap feels very odd and not in-line with the rest of the design goals in civ 6. Cities are going have enough stuff taking up tile space with districts, wonders, and normal tile improvements.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
It's not like Civ hasn't had PopCaps in the past - though that went away after Civ3. Aqueducts in 1 through 3, Hab Complexes in AC (with faction related changes), and 3 also requires hospitals to go past 12.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rexides posted:

They should make sure that the engine supports runtime terrain modifications. Not because I want anything specific to that in Civ 6, I just want proper terraforming in Civ:BE 2

Think about how cool it would be in a multiplayer game to be able to build a dam and cut off the river bonuses to an opposing city

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Think about how cool it would be in a multiplayer game to be able to build a dam and cut off the river bonuses to an opposing city
More fun if their city is just one tile upstream. :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I want a stealth worker I can use to build a mountain pass so I can backstab your "impregnable" capital.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

The AI in this had better be willing to trade me luxury resource for luxury resource because the most glaringly wrong thing in V is asking to straight trade marble for whales and the AI demanding that you give it marble, silver, furs and a pile of cash. What even causes it to be so unreasonably one sided in trade?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

The French Army! posted:

The AI in this had better be willing to trade me luxury resource for luxury resource because the most glaringly wrong thing in V is asking to straight trade marble for whales and the AI demanding that you give it marble, silver, furs and a pile of cash. What even causes it to be so unreasonably one sided in trade?

I assumed that only triggered when you were trading for their last copy of a luxury

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

I assumed that only triggered when you were trading for their last copy of a luxury

It also triggers if they don't like you or if you're way ahead

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Human Crouton posted:

jfc i cant believe i need to explain elementary poo poo

the problem with square tiles, where diagonal movements cost as much as cardinal movements, is that it becomes optimal to always move on diagonals every single turn, because such moves are ~40% further than cardinal moves

it also gets rid of the jankiness of the "big fat cross", where cities can't access tiles 2-diagonal from the centres

i regularly poo poo on civ5 but its hexes are one of its major advantages over civ4. the only downside is that 2-rings of hexes has only 18 tiles, while the full BFC has 20 tiles, meaning that hex cities wont be as big as BFC cities. civ5's solution was to expand city sizes to 3-rings, which was a mistake because it set the game down the path of tiny numbers of cities

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For a few Civ ideas that haven't been seen before in the series, here's a few random ideas while I'm bored:

The Seminole, lead by Osceola

The Navajo, lead by Manuelito

The Goths, lead by Alaric I

Argentina, lead by Cornelio Saavedra

Kongo, lead by Nzinga a Nkuwu/Joao I

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think the larger ring of tiles isn't really connected to the number of city thing you're talking about.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Phobophilia posted:

jfc i cant believe i need to explain elementary poo poo

the problem with square tiles, where diagonal movements cost as much as cardinal movements, is that it becomes optimal to always move on diagonals every single turn, because such moves are ~40% further than cardinal moves

it also gets rid of the jankiness of the "big fat cross", where cities can't access tiles 2-diagonal from the centres

i regularly poo poo on civ5 but its hexes are one of its major advantages over civ4. the only downside is that 2-rings of hexes has only 18 tiles, while the full BFC has 20 tiles, meaning that hex cities wont be as big as BFC cities. civ5's solution was to expand city sizes to 3-rings, which was a mistake because it set the game down the path of tiny numbers of cities

Good point, but I think you should have quoted the post I quoted instead of my joke post denouncing hexagons as the worst shape in general, and also equating using them in any fashion to only be acceptable if one is a bee.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

why wouldn't you want to be a bee anyway, bees are cool

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

The French Army! posted:

They do this because they hate you. They give much more balanced trades if they don't hate you as much (the Civ5 AI always hates you at least a little, it has no concept of the idea of friendship).

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Should Civ AI play like a vague approximation of their real-world counterpart with some variance, or play like a player trying to win the game with some variable traits? Or some other way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/civgame/status/732981091208822789
Sounds like we'll be getting some more info soon. I know Marbozir was mysteriously in LA earlier in the week as well.