Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

Discendo Vox posted:

I've said it a few times now; if you haven't experienced the effects of a state with near-universal state control of the media, it's hard to understand its effects on the civic consciousness.

People voted for Putin when there was no semi-total control, just a guy Yeltsin pulled out of nowhere, and his vouching was more of a negative. But that is a good point, and I often say that someone who never belonged to a group that was the focus of a massive propaganda machine, should not judge harshly those who were.

This Bloodshit (loving hell) guy's thread in QCS is how I got here, and while that's a regrettable posting style of questionable sincerity it's hardly worse than saying most Russians are peasants or admitting that you hope our lives get worse and worse until Russia is no longer a threat to NATO countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodshit
Mar 31, 2016

by zen death robot

Discendo Vox posted:

I've said it a few times now; if you haven't experienced the effects of a state with near-universal state control of the media, it's hard to understand its effects on the civic consciousness.

lmao :ironicat:

http://www.businessinsider.com/these-6-corporations-control-90-of-the-media-in-america-2012-6

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Do you just have all this at the ready? The way you keep pumping out statistical data and related links at a moment's notice is really impressive regardless of whether it's all posted in bad faith or not.

Bloodshit
Mar 31, 2016

by zen death robot
The Troll Factory pays me extra rubles for supporting my internet arguments with facts and statistics.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The flaw in your analogy is that in Russia the state controls the media; in the US the media controls the state.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I wonder whether they get a bonus for commenting on the topic of media freedom right after what just happened to RBC.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I fail to see how having 6 different media conglomerates controlling 80% of information, is the same as 1 outfit controlling 100% of all media. And don't forget the actual freedom to publish/broadcast most information with impunity, no matter how small the channel, unlike in totalitarian regimes that we're referring to here.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

The good thing about being able to publish almost everything is that you can, if you're lucky, defect to one of these "totalitarian" states after publishing the remaining part.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's a shame the sources aren't more valid, then.

loga mira posted:

People voted for Putin when there was no semi-total control, just a guy Yeltsin pulled out of nowhere, and his vouching was more of a negative. But that is a good point, and I often say that someone who never belonged to a group that was the focus of a massive propaganda machine, should not judge harshly those who were.

This Bloodshit (loving hell) guy's thread in QCS is how I got here, and while that's a regrettable posting style of questionable sincerity it's hardly worse than saying most Russians are peasants or admitting that you hope our lives get worse and worse until Russia is no longer a threat to NATO countries.

Well, most Russians are extremely poor by most metrics; Russia has worse economic inequality than anywhere else on earth, I believe.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

loga mira posted:

I want Russia to become so weak it cannot threaten ANY country, not only NATO countries. And that the lifes of Russians will get worse because of it is unfortunate, but unavoidable.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Russia has worse economic inequality than anywhere else on earth, I believe.

Source.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

loga mira posted:

The good thing about being able to publish almost everything is that you can, if you're lucky, defect to one of these "totalitarian" states after publishing the remaining part.

Oh yeah, Russia maintains her one trophy activist while she is murdering and imprisoning journalists and NGO members on a nearly daily basis.

Bloodshit
Mar 31, 2016

by zen death robot

Nitrox posted:

I fail to see how having 6 different media conglomerates controlling 80% of information, is the same as 1 outfit controlling 100% of all media. And don't forget the actual freedom to publish/broadcast most information with impunity, no matter how small the channel, unlike in totalitarian regimes that we're referring to here.

You should tell that to Ambers Lyon, whose documentary on the Bahraini uprising was pulled from the air because it painted the US-backed Bahraini regime in a negative light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_Lyon#Internal_whistleblowing_on_CNN.27s_coverage_of_the_Bahrain_protests

The same reporter later claimed that she received instructions from CNN higher ups to demonize the governments of Syria and Iran.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130402001657/http://sana.sy/eng/22/2013/03/30/475112.htm

This (very long) article by Carl Bernstein examines the long history of CIA media infiltration and subversion:

http://www.carlbernstein.com/magazine_cia_and_media.php

The CIA would be stupid not to manipulate popular sources of information to support its agenda.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Yes thanks for re-confirming that Americans do not have all of their media controlled by the government, but indeed have many different people owning a lot of them, many in quite active opposition to each other.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

To be fair it works the other way as well. Most of the UK media is owned by Murdoch who is very much a kingmaker within this country. Corporate control, state control. Pick your poison.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Some time ago there was a sensationalist boom of news about the median wealth in Russia being below that of India, which came from an incorrect understanding of an report published by Credit Suisse that worked with nation-specific variables, and so the results weren't universally comparable across countries. In the aftermath of that the idea that Russia was extremely inequal became entrenched even more so that it had been previously.

However, while Russia is not the most inequal country in the world by measures such as GINI, it is still extremely inequal by any standard: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/inequality-and-the-putin-economy-inside-the-numbers/

Bloodshit
Mar 31, 2016

by zen death robot

fishmech posted:

Yes thanks for re-confirming that Americans do not have all of their media controlled by the government, but indeed have many different people owning a lot of them, many in quite active opposition to each other.

Can you name some ways in which those media sources are "in quite active opposition to each other"? Thanks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bloodshit posted:

You should tell that to Ambers Lyon, whose documentary on the Bahraini uprising was pulled from the air because it painted the US-backed Bahraini regime in a negative light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_Lyon#Internal_whistleblowing_on_CNN.27s_coverage_of_the_Bahrain_protests

The same reporter later claimed that she received instructions from CNN higher ups to demonize the governments of Syria and Iran.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130402001657/http://sana.sy/eng/22/2013/03/30/475112.htm

This (very long) article by Carl Bernstein examines the long history of CIA media infiltration and subversion:

The CIA would be stupid not to manipulate popular sources of information to support its agenda.

"But you are lynching negroes!"

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Oh yeah, Russia maintains her one trophy activist while she is murdering and imprisoning journalists and NGO members on a nearly daily basis.

Is this a competition then, maintain an illusion of free speech while imprisoning or causing as few activists to defect as you can?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Bloodshit posted:

It seems to me like you're trying to use the shittiness of one country's media to excuse another, which ultimately leaves all of us worse off. So you should probably stop.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bloodshit posted:

Can you name some ways in which those media sources are "in quite active opposition to each other"? Thanks.

Please present me with a detailed comparative analysis of the editorial leanings of the Wall Street Journal, The Lost ANgeles Times, The Atlantic and The Huffington Post, or shut the gently caress up.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

quote:

So you should probably stop.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

However, while Russia is not the most inequal country in the world by measures such as GINI, it is still extremely inequal by any standard: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/inequality-and-the-putin-economy-inside-the-numbers/

Yeah no poo poo but the guy has "pedantry" in his custom title..

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

loga mira posted:

Is this a competition then, maintain an illusion of free speech while imprisoning or causing as few activists to defect as you can?

There is the fundamental difference:

In America, they, once in a couple of years arrest somebody on problematic charges of disrupting national security while millions of people do and say whatever they want, all along the political spectrum and organized as they will.
In Russia, the state systematically exterminates all opposition on a permanent basis, outright assassinating its critics and destroying all opposing NGOs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

My bad, it's just worse than any of the other larger developed nations.

Regarde Aduck posted:

To be fair it works the other way as well. Most of the UK media is owned by Murdoch who is very much a kingmaker within this country. Corporate control, state control. Pick your poison.

Corporate control every time, accepting the assumption of unilaterality- there's more than one corporation, and they don't have armies.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 18, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hell, just in the last couple of years armed militants repeatedly rallied to political stand-offs against federal agencies and walked away largely unpunished, and people like Alex Jones, Glenn Beck or Mark "Master SHake" Levin are spreading their apocalyptic rambling and calls for open insurrection against the government to millions of listeners every day without any impediment from the government. Even the sources quoted by anti-American conspiracy theorists only exist because they are protected by Western freedom of speech, otherwise they would be scrubbed as they are in other countries.

Bloodshit
Mar 31, 2016

by zen death robot

StandardVC10 posted:

It seems to me like you're trying to use the shittiness of one country's media to excuse another, which ultimately leaves all of us worse off. So you should probably stop.

It seems to me like you're more interested in demonizing another country than fixing the problems in your own.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bloodshit posted:

Some are rabidly right wing, some are quite left wing, some are centrist at all times and some are current-government-following at all times. Also, there's no meaningful internet censorship program, not even on the level of the UK's stupid "cleanfeed" proposal. Russia has only "current government following" in the majority of their media.

You would know this if you ever lived here.

Bloodshit posted:

It seems to me like you're more interested in demonizing another country than fixing the problems in your own.

Such as? Only a moron would pretend that returning, say, media to local rich people actually fixes anything.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bloodshit posted:

"So what if I killed a guy, you were caught jaywalking :smug:"

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

There is the fundamental difference:

In America, they, once in a couple of years arrest somebody on problematic charges of disrupting national security while millions of people do and say whatever they want, all along the political spectrum and organized as they will.
In Russia, the state systematically exterminates all opposition on a permanent basis, outright assassinating its critics and destroying all opposing NGOs.

Fundamental difference would be one country persecuting activists and the other not doing that.

Would you agree that this is a stupid argument that self-respecting people should not be having?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Whataboutism (also sometimes called "whataboutery") is a form of propaganda to counter criticism (usually from "the West") with a "What about …?" question vaguely related to the original question asked. It is a specialized form of the red herring tactic and often involves a healthy dose of tu quoque fallacy and balance fallacy. During the Soviet era, this was usually in the form of "And at your place, they hang black people". In Putin's Russia this propaganda technique has made a comeback, especially since the (ongoing) Ukraine conflict. North Korea and, to a lesser extent, the People's Republic of China are also big fans of this tactic. The fallacy is now also often seen from some defenders of Israel.

Just ignore his comments already goddamn

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Bloodshit posted:

Of course I'm interested in fixing my own country's problems. You know what one of its problems is? People who only identify problems as a means of false equivocation to make the other side look bad, rather than addressing them in good faith. Like what you're doing right now!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

loga mira posted:

Fundamental difference would be one country persecuting activists and the other not doing that.

Would you agree that this is a stupid argument that self-respecting people should not be having?

No, it is not, however your relativizing the injustice committed against a few men with a much greater injustice inflicted upon an entire people is not just stupid, it is despicable and the reason why Russia is a shithole deeply hated by anybody who has any historical experience with her.

Bloodshit
Mar 31, 2016

by zen death robot

fishmech posted:

Some are rabidly right wing, some are quite left wing, some are centrist at all times and some are current-government-following at all times. Also, there's no meaningful internet censorship program, not even on the level of the UK's stupid "cleanfeed" proposal. Russia has only "current government following" in the majority of their media.

Can you give me some examples of those news outlets criticizing US foreign policy in Iraq, Libya, Syria, Yemen, or Ukraine?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bloodshit posted:

Can you give me some examples of those news outlets criticizing US foreign policy in Iraq, Libya, Syria, Yemen, or Ukraine?

Yes, go search google news for any of those, my dear. Hell, Fox News has been whining about Libya for 5 years straight!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Benghazi was never a thing, apparently, lol. And the leading presidential candidates haven't been grilled about Iraq and Afghanistan pretty much constantly just in the past couple of months.

Bloodshit
Mar 31, 2016

by zen death robot
Fox News whined about 3 Americans being killed by Wahhabi terrorists in the Libyan consulate. It didn't whine about tens of thousands of Libyans being killed by a bombing campaign in violation of international law and the failed state perpetual civil war that has emerged there ever since. Fox News, like all other mainstream "news" outlets, never criticized Obama's decision to bomb Libya and topple the Libyan government.

Just like none of those "news" outlets criticized Bush's illegal aggression against Iraq when it took place. And just like they still don't criticize Obama's proxy war against Syria, even though it led to the creation of ISIS.

They also don't criticize Saudi Arabia's mass murder campaign in Yemen, or the US-backed Ukrainian government's war against Donbass.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Bloodshit posted:

Fox News whined about 3 Americans being killed by Wahhabi terrorists in the Libyan consulate. It didn't whine about tens of thousands of Libyans being killed by a bombing campaign in violation of international law and the failed state perpetual civil war that has emerged there ever since. Fox News, like all other mainstream "news" outlets, never criticized Obama's decision to bomb Libya and topple the Libyan government.

Just like none of those "news" outlets criticized Bush's illegal aggression against Iraq when it took place. And just like they still don't criticize Obama's proxy war against Syria, even though it led to the creation of ISIS.

They also don't criticize Saudi Arabia's mass murder campaign in Yemen, or the US-backed Ukrainian government's war against Donbass.

Supporter of Undeclared War Fought Out Of Uniform Upset About International Law

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

No, it is not, however your relativizing the injustice committed against a few men with a much greater injustice inflicted upon an entire people is not just stupid, it is despicable and the reason why Russia is a shithole deeply hated by anybody who has any historical experience with her.

Oh jeez, sorry I made you post this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bloodshit posted:

Fox News did in fact whine that Obama was the one ordering the strikes. Sorry you were apparently blind and deaf when the war actually happened?