Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I personally suspect what they're going for is the Giants in DS2 are all hollowing. Hence why early on you see hollows turning into something like trees. So there's not two types of Giants there's hollowed and normal Giants much like Hollowed and Normal humans. The missing face/giant hole is the Giants version of the Dark Sign that brands the Undead.

Basically all the Giants are the same species being treated in various ways. Although that does get messed up by the really huge giants in the Cathedral of the Deep and Irythyll Dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
http://steamcommunity.com/stats/374320/achievements/

as usual: lol
I don't think there's a website where you can see the ps4 version, not counting that dumb one where people have to register to be counted

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

DrNutt posted:

Seems kind of hilarious that I can invade with my sunlight medallion on and get a sunlight medal for killing the host. Jolly co-operation indeed.

Yeah this made me laugh! Does this work for any of the other covenants?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lord_Magmar posted:

I personally suspect what they're going for is the Giants in DS2 are all hollowing. Hence why early on you see hollows turning into something like trees. So there's not two types of Giants there's hollowed and normal Giants much like Hollowed and Normal humans. The missing face/giant hole is the Giants version of the Dark Sign that brands the Undead.

Basically all the Giants are the same species being treated in various ways. Although that does get messed up by the really huge giants in the Cathedral of the Deep and Irythyll Dungeon.

Only in 1 were all the giants the same size. DS2 had them in different sizes and builds.
The way I see it in 3 they're mixing both.

Whats more interesting is that once Giants lived peacefully with humans, like Yhorm being friends with Siegward, and the burial gift white branch's description:
'Branch of a white birch received from somebody. Apparently, this was once a token of friendship ... Perhaps treasuring the memory is more important.'

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Only in 1 were all the giants the same size. DS2 had them in different sizes and builds.
The way I see it in 3 they're mixing both.

Whats more interesting is that once Giants lived peacefully with humans, like Yhorm being friends with Siegward, and the burial gift white branch's description:
'Branch of a white birch received from somebody. Apparently, this was once a token of friendship ... Perhaps treasuring the memory is more important.'

I think the burial gift one is more specifically referring to a friendship with the giant archer, which is why he doesn't shoot at you if you start with it.

As for the sizes of giants, regardless of whether there are multiple species or not, it's not absurd to expect size variability given how greatly humans vary in size in these games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yhorm looks just like the giant lord, who already didn't look like the other ds2 giants so I don't see the problem. dude's just whatever giant lord was

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Melanion posted:

I love that people have wildly differing experiences with this game.

poo poo, wait. Let me fix that sentence.

I love that people have wildly differing experiences with this game.

This was my first Souls and I'm really fighting the urge to pick up the first two.

Playing this one first must be an odd experience. It's heavily dependent on references to the first one, and its biggest reveals have no impact without that context. I actually don't recommend that people play this one first.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

yhorm looks just like the giant lord, who already didn't look like the other ds2 giants so I don't see the problem. dude's just whatever giant lord was

Yhorm in the game has a clearly visible face with glowing eyes, a nose, mouth, etc. He is visually quite different from the DS2 Giant Lord.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vermain posted:

Yhorm in the game has a clearly visible face with glowing eyes, a nose, mouth, etc. He is visually quite different from the DS2 Giant Lord.

visible in a cutscene for a second, sure. he's not visually distinct outside of the glowy eyes, which you could probably attribute to his status as a lord of cinder

Toady posted:

Playing this one first must be an odd experience. It's heavily dependent on references to the first one, and its biggest reveals have no impact without that context. I actually don't recommend that people play this one first.

you can play any of these games without really caring about the story because it's not really given to you at the forefront. the only one I ever even tried to look into was bloodborne and it never bothered me in the others. anor londo's reveal would be lost to you tho and that is a bummer, but other than that? eh

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
My game is downloading another patch, should I be worried about a resurgence in game-breaking jankiness?

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Golden Goat posted:

Oh that's good then.

Oh, how is anybody meant to find out about the darkmoon covenant normally/naturally?
Even the game questions you on how you found out about it.

i chased an invader across the invisible bridge (fun fight, had no idea how narrow the drat thing was), and sirris had already given me the gesture for 'I have no idea why'.

I'll agree it's easy to miss, but not as bad as say . . . ash lake.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Manatee Cannon posted:

visible in a cutscene for a second, sure. he's not visually distinct outside of the glowy eyes, which you could probably attribute to his status as a lord of cinder

I don't totally get it. Are you saying that except for the parts of the game where he's distinctly shown to be visually different, he's not visually different?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can play any of these games without really caring about the story because it's not really given to you at the forefront. the only one I ever even tried to look into was bloodborne and it never bothered me in the others. anor londo's reveal would be lost to you tho and that is a bummer, but other than that? eh

I'm not talking about the story but gameplay moments. Seeing Oscar in the beginning, the silver knight archers on the walkways, the player build/Gwyn phases in the final boss, and so on. While the game is playable without that context, the whole experience is designed to evoke emotions from DS1 players.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Does the DS3 playerbase have a lot more "swoke_weed_ERRDAY XX" and "buttplug commander" phantom summons than usual, or is my memory just glossing over the players of Dark Souls past?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Cephas posted:

Does the DS3 playerbase have a lot more "swoke_weed_ERRDAY XX" and "buttplug commander" phantom summons than usual, or is my memory just glossing over the players of Dark Souls past?

It's more popular than ever, so you're probably not just glossing over the past.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Cephas posted:

The percentage is, like, exactly the same as ever. Dark Souls community is flippant. Did you know?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Cephas posted:

Well, now it shows player name by default instead of only ever showing account name like in DS1&2, so people are a bit more free to show off what they can squeeze through the filter.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Do people in this game literally never check who they are summoning? I've been summoned more times into worlds where the host accidentally summons me then not. All I want is to sun bro duel! :(

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
If you don't click on it fast enough you get Unable to summon

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

oldpainless posted:

I don't totally get it. Are you saying that except for the parts of the game where he's distinctly shown to be visually different, he's not visually different?

I'm saying that they never show off what's behind the void in dks2, so showing yhorm's face in this game doesn't invalidate the idea that they're related. everything else about the two is pretty much the same, including the lack of face during actual gameplay barring the glowing eyes

Grimalkin
Oct 2, 2008
Beat the final boss and I've done just about all I I can find to do with my first play-through! I think I'm ready for NG+!

. . . except suddenly all I want to do is replay Bloodborne. Again. :getin:

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm saying that they never show off what's behind the void in dks2, so showing yhorm's face in this game doesn't invalidate the idea that they're related. everything else about the two is pretty much the same, including the lack of face during actual gameplay barring the glowing eyes

"Other than the fact they have completely different facial features and builds, they look exactly the same!" :downs:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was having a miserable time cooping for Dragonslayer Armour last night. Whether I was a summon or the host, it was miserable. Finally fought him solo and did it in one go. Sometimes co-op just makes things harder.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nohman posted:

"Other than the fact they have completely different facial features and builds, they look exactly the same!" :downs:

you didn't even read what I said

they have the same build and you can't see the dks2 one's face

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Manatee Cannon posted:

you didn't even read what I said

they have the same build and you can't see the dks2 one's face

Well you can, since he is the Last Giant, which has a similar face to the rest of the giants. Then again, if you ascribe to the idea that the hole in face is giant hollowing than it makes sense that TLG would have hollowed after centuries buried underneath a fort or whatever. I personally think the whole Yhorm debate is a bit overblown. He is very clearly meant to evoke the Giant Lord, and his description practically says outright that he is a descendant of it. He has a face? So what. Emphasis on "descendant", probably humans and giants boned down at some point, or it's just one of the countless minor changes and inconsistencies that fill these games.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Man, my problem with PvP is that not only am I not that great, but I'm always doing some half-naked goofy rear end gimmick build up against more properly built/equipped players.

There's moments though that are great fun, so I still try it.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

I agree, I always got the idea that the giants in DS2 was completely hollowed and that was why they had no faces and didn't speak. And why they were just stuck attacking Drangleic relentlessly for generations.
Intro Yhorm also looks just like the giant lord from DS2

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Viperix posted:

Man, my problem with PvP is that not only am I not that great, but I'm always doing some half-naked goofy rear end gimmick build up against more properly built/equipped players.

There's moments though that are great fun, so I still try it.

you only have to be decent if you run a proper build

you have to be really good if you run with a goofy gimmick build

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

There is of course another Giant Tyrant who Yhorm could be descended from, Wolnir also fits most of the requirements for Yhorm's Ancestor and could explain a bit more about why Yhorm has so few areas compared to the other Lords. The Catacombs and Smouldering Lake are also technically part of his area if Wolnir is his Ancestor.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just trying to be a bro and grind out a few sunlight medals on Vordt last night...

Get summoned twice by the same guy who just wants to summon someone at the Vordt boss fog and then inexplicably work backwards through the level towards some unknown goal. The first time I executed a near-perfect run of the area until we got invaded, he ran off, and quickly got slaughtered. The second time he summoned me for the same reason I just crystaled out.

Also people summoning at Vordt's door to fight the Dancer at a low level are a cancer - we both know you're not going to win. Just use the Swordmaster and be done with it. Next time this happens I'm crystaling out from the boss room.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Chard posted:

Doesn't the sky change there depending on how you end the game?

Not that I've seen. The sky change happens around 3/4ths through the game, but doesn't affect that area. And I've gotten all 3 endings and it hasn't done a thing visually for any area.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cyberventurer posted:

Not that I've seen. The sky change happens around 3/4ths through the game, but doesn't affect that area. And I've gotten all 3 endings and it hasn't done a thing visually for any area.

Yeah, the weather "change" comes from ringing the bell. It persists into NG+

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Carthus Curved sword is any good raw/any infusion for a sorcery character? I loving love that thing and I'm going to use any excuse to use it, but I also want to keep my sorcery/pyro gimmick going.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Melanion posted:

I'm not going to go all 'You had trouble with that boss :smug:' because I know RNG and different playstyles are a thing, but I'm curious what people have trouble with on Twin Princes. My experience was that Lorian has some of the slowest, most telegraphed attacks in the game and as long as you're aggressive in phase two Lothric barely has a chance to do any attacks of his own. They're my favourite boss to sunbro on. Have I just lucked out in never seeing their big gently caress You attacks?

The princes don't really have any gently caress You attacks, but the teleporting mechanic (and subsequently breaking your lock-on) made them hard to adapt to the first couple times I fought them. They're easy to fight if you don't panic over their crazy damage, and like with most DS3 bosses you're best off with a quick melee weapon.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Cyberventurer posted:

A while back someone posted pics of that area all dark, like untended graves 'literally no skybox' dark, after doing the fire smothering ending. Although they said that they hadn't gone to that area at all, until after getting an ending, if I remember right.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

loving giant snake rear end fucker throwing his chain axe clear through a loving wall to snipe me from outside wish I could do that but gently caress whatever I'm not mad

I hate these assholes too but I found that the big lizard guys in general stagger SUPER easily, even like 3 consecutive R1's from a straight sword will stagger them. So basically when you see one run right up to it and hug it's rear end.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Fereydun posted:

edit:
why doesn't ds3 have Bigger Hat Logan

It might be him in the (maybe spoiler? very mild) hidden area of Profaned Capital that leads back to Irithyll Dungeon, since you find his scroll right by there. The hollowed sorcerer NPC you fight on the roof

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Dark Souls 3 downloaded something when I started up Steam. Was there a patch?

Lord_Magmar posted:

There is of course another Giant Tyrant who Yhorm could be descended from, Wolnir also fits most of the requirements for Yhorm's Ancestor and could explain a bit more about why Yhorm has so few areas compared to the other Lords. The Catacombs and Smouldering Lake are also technically part of his area if Wolnir is his Ancestor.

I'm sorry to tell you this but Wolnir was not actually a 50 foot tall skeleton. He was a normal sized dude; the goblet you touch is made from his skull.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 18, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mortons stork posted:

Carthus Curved sword is any good raw/any infusion for a sorcery character? I loving love that thing and I'm going to use any excuse to use it, but I also want to keep my sorcery/pyro gimmick going.

It gets pretty good Chaos scaling (B/B Int/Faith). It also has A scaling if you go Crystal but I think Chaos is generally better overall, especially if you're leveling both Int and Faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Random Hajile posted:

Well, now it shows player name by default instead of only ever showing account name like in DS1&2, so people are a bit more free to show off what they can squeeze through the filter.

Dark souls 2 showed character name and bloodborne has the option for that, and anecdotally I saw way fewer teenager names in those games, but it may just be the players I happened to run into. I think the filter in 2 was not case sensitive like it is here though, so it blocked a lot more names, including the really serious ones like **ly K***ht

Thank god that filter was there to protect me