Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Phlegmish posted:

But what if I set threads=100000, should be super fast then.

You still have the same amount of cores that can run in parallell.... it probably will run it slower as the OS will try and context switch between the threads constantly. If you wanna have a try go into the properties of whatever Paradox game in Steam and then click on Launch options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Airfoil posted:

Yeah, thanks computer scientist Paradox dev specifically assigned to CK2.

Fixed that fer ya.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

John Charity Spring posted:

This is weird - Hearts of Iron: War Stories has just been released, a choose your own adventure game on mobile about being a Battle of Britain pilot. It's free - or at least the first 5 chapters out of 22 are free - so I gave it a shot. It's, uh. It's pretty loving badly written, apparently by someone who doesn't really know what England is, or maybe even what the target age group for the game is meant to be. Also all the characters sound extremely American, and maybe as if they get all their vocabulary from Simple English Wikipedia.

I stopped playing at this point. I feel like I've seen all I need to see.

Hearts of Iron IV: A lovely name, for a lovely, lovely lady

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
Does anyone even know who the target audience of the "literature" released alongside paradox games is for.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Everybody should read Lords Of The Sky, particularly the chapters on the Battle of Britain, instead if that wierd, bad thing

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Neobdragon posted:

Does anyone even know who the target audience of the "literature" released alongside paradox games is for.

People who write and read those huge AARs that have only a tenuous connection to any actual in-game events.

I remember a long time ago there was this massive, massive HoI2 AAR that was basically fanfiction starring Fu Manchu as the big bad behind all evil in the world, and co-starring every single fictional hero and villain who could conceivably be running around the time period. It had maybe one screenshot every five posts, each post being about a chapter's length in a decent novel.

Phi230 posted:

Everybody should read Lords Of The Sky, particularly the chapters on the Battle of Britain, instead if that wierd, bad thing

I know the WW1 Biggles books were a decent lunchtime read, though I think I heard something about everything getting toned down and made more kid-friendly by the time WW2 rolled around.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 18, 2016

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
My own genuine recommendation for WW2 pilot fiction is Derek Robinson's novel Piece of Cake, which is brutal and funny and horrible and just about as good as war fiction gets I think.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
"Emma, won't you take a look at my Spitfire?"
"I don't see any planes here!"
"I know... I know."

Pay me for this, Paradox.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Have any of you seen Emma Chase and Shadow Hitler at the same time? Makes you wonder...

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Slaughterhouse Five is the best WWII fiction imo

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

John Charity Spring posted:

This is weird - Hearts of Iron: War Stories has just been released, a choose your own adventure game on mobile about being a Battle of Britain pilot. It's free - or at least the first 5 chapters out of 22 are free - so I gave it a shot. It's, uh. It's pretty loving badly written, apparently by someone who doesn't really know what England is, or maybe even what the target age group for the game is meant to be. Also all the characters sound extremely American, and maybe as if they get all their vocabulary from Simple English Wikipedia.

I stopped playing at this point. I feel like I've seen all I need to see.

No NATO counters. 2/10

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Smoremaster posted:

Slaughterhouse Five is the best WWII fiction imo

You misspelled Catch-22.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Kavak posted:

You misspelled Catch-22.

oh gently caress, you're right. catch-22 owns

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I want a CYOA as Soviet where every choice is a different to kill the fascists

You question your orders, turn to page 84

Turns pages

You've been sent to gulag!

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

so you mean like the eu4 comet event that now has like 20 options that all have the same effect?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Not WWII, but if anyone has a hankering for a good CYOA game here's one:
https://www.choiceofgames.com/broadsides/
Set during the Age of Sail on Not Britain.

^^^^^^^^ every time they add an option to the comet event an angel gets its wings.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Tomn posted:

Fixed that fer ya.

That so? Shame he didn't provide some interesting insight into Clausewitz now requiring 64 bit, then.

Is it just future proofing, or will HOI4 actually be using huge chunks of memory?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
How is >3GB RAM a huge amount of memory in tyool 2016?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Koesj posted:

How is >3GB RAM a huge amount of memory in tyool 2016?

I think you can actually bump per-process up to 4GB on a 32 bit OS with some tricks.

And, no, that isn't huge these days. I'm just curious if HOI4 will actually use lots of RAM if you've got it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Neobdragon posted:

I think it's people who just accidentally buy everything listed under DLC they don't own yet.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Phlegmish posted:

I think Emma Chase is the love interest. They've really captured that HOI atmosphere. Eagerly awaiting the CK2 dating sim.

Way of Life has been out for months.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
confession: I like stellaris

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Zohar posted:

It has a lot of flaws and a lot of parts that basically scream "I was made to be expanded on in a paid DLC", but after years of soulless MoO2 clones you have to admit that Stellaris at least loving tries to be original.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Zohar posted:

I like it a fair bit too, but I don't want to spend a whole lot of time on it right now because I have a feeling by the end of June it will be VERY good.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Drone posted:

Hearts of Iron IV: A lovely name, for a lovely, lovely lady

I second the motion.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Tomn posted:

People who write and read those huge AARs that have only a tenuous connection to any actual in-game events.

I remember a long time ago there was this massive, massive HoI2 AAR that was basically fanfiction starring Fu Manchu as the big bad behind all evil in the world, and co-starring every single fictional hero and villain who could conceivably be running around the time period. It had maybe one screenshot every five posts, each post being about a chapter's length in a decent novel.

Not gonna lie, that sounds like it could be super fun. I assume it was on the Paradox forums and was not.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Zohar posted:

I know at some point I'm going to burn out a bit on it, but even right now I'm having tons of fun with it. Its future looks bright as hell too.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

BadOptics posted:

No NATO counters. 2/10

"She slid her hand down to her as he pulled out his throbbing "

(I put way too much thought into which symbols to use)

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

COOL CORN posted:

This book is rated three infantry units

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

:drat:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tomn posted:

I know the WW1 Biggles books were a decent lunchtime read, though I think I heard something about everything getting toned down and made more kid-friendly by the time WW2 rolled around.

My favorite thing about AARs is when the author gets bored or fucks up his game and gives the excuse of "my hard drive died"

Then again, they could all just be playing games on poo poo piles.

I've come across a few decent AARs on the paradox subreddit that I've read to get ideas on how to play some countries and Chief Savage Man's Kaiserreich LP is wayyyy better than a narrative AAR has any right to be but the Paradox forums have some hilariously bad ones.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

My favorite thing about AARs is when the author gets bored or fucks up his game and gives the excuse of "my hard drive died"

Then again, they could all just be playing games on poo poo piles.

I've come across a few decent AARs on the paradox subreddit that I've read to get ideas on how to play some countries and Chief Savage Man's Kaiserreich LP is wayyyy better than a narrative AAR has any right to be but the Paradox forums have some hilariously bad ones.

I appreciate the kind words but I've also done the first thing before, lol. It was going to be an HoI3 AAR and I was so excited I started writing and posting before the game was even out, then it came out and well...

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Groogy posted:

You still have the same amount of cores that can run in parallell.... it probably will run it slower as the OS will try and context switch between the threads constantly. If you wanna have a try go into the properties of whatever Paradox game in Steam and then click on Launch options.

:thejoke:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Chief Savage Man posted:

I appreciate the kind words but I've also done the first thing before, lol. It was going to be an HoI3 AAR and I was so excited I started writing and posting before the game was even out, then it came out and well...

Totally understandable. But if your "hard drive dies" before your Combined Syndicates LP is finished I will track you down and eat you. :mad:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
oh my god i cant wait for hearts of iron 4

except i have a gpu-less laptop so i can't run it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Airfoil posted:

I think you can actually bump per-process up to 4GB on a 32 bit OS with some tricks.

And, no, that isn't huge these days. I'm just curious if HOI4 will actually use lots of RAM if you've got it.

HOI3 TFH tries to use 4gb of ram anyway which is why it crashes so loving often

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Kavak posted:

Totally understandable. But if your "hard drive dies" before your Combined Syndicates LP is finished I will track you down and eat you. :mad:

Its all on the cloud, so blame Microsoft.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Chief Savage Man posted:

Its all on my butt, so blame Microsoft.

Doesn't seem the safest place to store data to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

catlord posted:

Not gonna lie, that sounds like it could be super fun. I assume it was on the Paradox forums and was not.

I honestly don't recall what the quality of the writing itself was like, though I did read a fair way through when I was young and stupid and still thought Paradox AARs were pretty neat stuff. What I DO remember was that it kept adding subplot after subplot after subplot with no end in sight, ever.

If you're curious and want to see for yourself, I dug up the old thread here. Notable points:

- Apparently there were actually two AARs - the first in HoI1, the second in HoI2.

- There are 165 pages in the second thread, albeit not all of author posts.

- The first post of the second thread was set in October 21st, 1939, and was written in 2005. The last post was set in September 20th, 1940, and was written in 2011.

- There are 22 paragraphs in the prologue of the second thread alone describing what happened in the first thread.

- Apparently there never was an end and the whole thing is incomplete.