Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I started playing The Thing last night (finally) and it's pretty jank, but has a lot of good little jump scare moments. I'm mostly enjoying it. The controls and menus are hellishly annoying, and the tutorials sound like an intern wrote them for complete blithering idiots though, lol. And I do not appreciate the scripted Thing-ings of my crew though because they don't make plot-sense so far.

Like, I was ALONE for an extended period of time with 2 dudes who ended up being Things all along. 2 out of 3 dudes were Things! They should have killed me because they both know each other are Things and what Things do is they get a guy alone and Thing him up. Instead, they both helped me progress, protected me from bad guys, helped me get a hypo test that would prove they are both Things, then one of them took the hypo test, Thing'd out.... and his buddy who didn't get hypo-tested Thing'd out to for no reason, too. Maybe he got nervous and choked. :ohdear: These Things are not nearly as clever as the ones in the movie if they don't know when they should take their obvious opportunity to Thing me up.

Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I dont like thing

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

unpacked robinhood posted:

I dont like thing

OK

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

That game is way more ambitious than a PS2 game should have been, but it was a neat thing and better than the thing remake.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

I thought it was a launch title but The Darkness doesn't get enough credit.

I'm a huge fan of the Darkness game. It did some neat stuff with its setup and the Darkness world with its eternal World War I was really neat. I also enjoyed the sequel, even if it changed up pretty much everything from the first game.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

TheManSeries posted:

That game is way more ambitious than a PS2 game should have been, but it was a neat thing and better than the thing remake.
Yeah, I still greatly appreciate what it tried to do. I would love to see a remake with better everything: controls, graphics, VO, etc. I feel like modern AI might stand a chance of actually playing well with the Fear/Suspicion team mechanic they were dreaming up. Super ambitious and a really, really cool idea that was hampered by the tech at the time. :(

And yeah, the recent prequel was pretty lackluster, sadly. I was really rooting for it, too!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The idea of allies needing to trust you to do stuff is interesting, yeah, though it's a bit simplistic that it's handled by you just throwing guns in their hands. Also, I think whoever turns into a Thing is scripted, making those blood testers useless unless you use it on yourself to make others trust you more. Be interesting if there was a bit more randomization there.

One thing the game did that was relatively radical for its time was you can make walls of flame with the flamethrower across the ground; Things won't cross it. I like that.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Speedball posted:

One thing the game did that was relatively radical for its time was you can make walls of flame with the flamethrower across the ground; Things won't cross it. I like that.
Except when my NPC squad buddies run directly into it and then aggro on me for it. :( Happened when I destroyed some boxes so the NPC could fix a junction box for me. He immediately murdered me for walking into the flames, lol.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

VoidBurger posted:

Except when my NPC squad buddies run directly into it and then aggro on me for it. :( Happened when I destroyed some boxes so the NPC could fix a junction box for me. He immediately murdered me for walking into the flames, lol.

Oh, I dunno if you know about it, but there's another way to force a guy to do stuff like repair a junction box for you: if you aim your gun at a guy's head, he'll be forced to do something (though of course his trust for you will go down even more...)

Not all that useful but nice they included it. In a more robust game I can see that actually being used.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VoidBurger posted:

Don't stand near any explosive barrels, ever, your 'buddies' loving love shooting them when you are.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

I thought it was a launch title but The Darkness doesn't get enough credit.

I only remember that game as the one where you could watch a whole movie with your girlfriend before she got fridged.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I only remember that game as the one where you could watch a whole movie with your girlfriend before she got fridged.

You got an achievement for it too! It's cliche now but back then people lost their poo poo at a quiet moment in a shooter.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

You got an achievement for it too! It's cliche now but back then people lost their poo poo at a quiet moment in a shooter.

It was also a bit unusual in being a sandbox FPS in 2007, right? You get to walk around a few different districts in the city and complete sidequests or find collectibles. Much of the game was actually the "quiet moments" since you actually played out Jackie walking around town and doing stuff in between the main plot.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ok so I watched the rule of rose LP that niggurath did.

Which twist was it that had people reeling?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

Ok so I watched the rule of rose LP that niggurath did.

Which twist was it that had people reeling?
That everyone except Jennifer is dead/missing and the whole game is Jennifer dealing with her past and resolving to move on with her life but to always remember the memories of the orphanage because she's the only who can. The way the game executes it is is really good. The last level is like my absolute favorite final level in a video game, its done so well in a way that only a video game can really do. Its bittersweet as hell and sticks with you.

Though if I remember right when I was following the LP thread Niggurath forgot to really look around the last level which really helps explain things. (Which is like the level's only real flaw, I missed the fact that you could interact with tons of stuff my first time through it too.)

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 18, 2016

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It was The Street Fighter with Sonny Chiba, just to make the whole thing even more amazing.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Hey horror vidya game thread, I'm trying to find a game I read about a few years ago but never played. I seem to remember it being one of those weird freeware PC Japanese horror games, sort of like Yume Nikki, about you (a young girl, of course, it's Japanese after all) and your mother and sister being trapped in Hell or some such. I really don't remember anything else about it except that one of the endings had you find the mother being possessed by a demon or something and devouring your sister. Any ideas?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Accordion Man posted:

That everyone except Jennifer is dead/missing and the whole game is Jennifer dealing with her past and resolving to move on with her life but to always remember the memories of the orphanage because she's the only who can. The way the game executes it is is really good. The last level is like my absolute favorite final level in a video game, its done so well in a way that only a video game can really do. Its bittersweet as hell and sticks with you.

Though if I remember right when I was following the LP thread Niggurath forgot to really look around the last level which really helps explain things. (Which is like the level's only real flaw, I missed the fact that you could interact with tons of stuff my first time through it too.)

Also that almost everyone wound up with some decent motivations for being utter asshats. Gregory was completely insane over the death of his son. Diana was being molested. Even Wendy (who orchestrated the whole thing and killed a loving dog) was a genuine sociopath and didn't seem like she even had the capacity to know what she was doing.

Come the last level I was like, stop making me feel bad for the villains, dammit.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Hey horror vidya game thread, I'm trying to find a game I read about a few years ago but never played. I seem to remember it being one of those weird freeware PC Japanese horror games, sort of like Yume Nikki, about you (a young girl, of course, it's Japanese after all) and your mother and sister being trapped in Hell or some such. I really don't remember anything else about it except that one of the endings had you find the mother being possessed by a demon or something and devouring your sister. Any ideas?

Is one of those RPG Maker games? If it's not, I know of one really hosed up freeware Japanese horror game where you play as a girl who wakes up in Hell, but it's probably not the one you're thinking of.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I reviewed that game, and it came in a white sleeve as just a generic NOT FOR RESALE CD, with really added to the surrealness of the game. Had no idea what the gently caress was going on in it, pretty sure I looked up an explanation a month later or something.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, I honestly feel bad in retrospect that I think I did an alright job showing off most of the game but then I totally misunderstood the final chapter. I liked later on when someone pretty much pointed out to me that Jennifer needed to remember this trauma because otherwise it would be as if none of these people had ever existed. You were there last link between the eternal void of being lost to time or at least keeping some portion of their memory alive, even if the memories are mostly horrible and poo poo. I mean they only turned out that way in the end cause of some emotionally damaged folks and sadly it was all overlooked due to a blimp accident. It's a shame the game is pulling teeth to play because it's sincerely a very touching and disturbing game.

Also I always thought the big twist was how the dog died or the cause of death for most people at the orphanage. At least it was surprising to me that a brain washed dude in tighty whities murders a bunch of kids.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DeathChicken posted:

Also that almost everyone wound up with some decent motivations for being utter asshats. Gregory was completely insane over the death of his son. Diana was being molested. Even Wendy (who orchestrated the whole thing and killed a loving dog) was a genuine sociopath and didn't seem like she even had the capacity to know what she was doing.

Come the last level I was like, stop making me feel bad for the villains, dammit.

I wouldn't say Wendy is an outright sociopath. She has huge abandonment issues compounded by the fact that she was really sickly and bedridden most of her life which led her to make up tall tales to the kids so they could notice her. It's why she flips her poo poo over Brown, Jennifer was her only real friend, and she desperately didn't want to be alone again and became super clingy and obsessive because of that. She was also a dumb kid that didn't realize manipulating a very mentally ill man is a terrible idea.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

HighwireAct posted:

Is one of those RPG Maker games? If it's not, I know of one really hosed up freeware Japanese horror game where you play as a girl who wakes up in Hell, but it's probably not the one you're thinking of.

I don't THINK it was RPG Maker because I seem to remember it as a 3/4ths sideways view, not the top down thing RPG Maker games do, but I could be wrong. Googling doesn't help because all it gives me is stuff like Yume Nikki, Ib, Mad Father, The Witch's House, Ao Oni, etc. All the standard ones.

Which one are you thinking of? My memories of the game are shady so I might be wrong on some things I mentioned.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The original Corpse Party game was an RPG Maker game.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

I don't THINK it was RPG Maker because I seem to remember it as a 3/4ths sideways view, not the top down thing RPG Maker games do, but I could be wrong. Googling doesn't help because all it gives me is stuff like Yume Nikki, Ib, Mad Father, The Witch's House, Ao Oni, etc. All the standard ones.

Which one are you thinking of? My memories of the game are shady so I might be wrong on some things I mentioned.

Is it Demonophobia?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

HighwireAct posted:

Is it Demonophobia?

Yup, that was it. Wow nevermind. :gonk:

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Yup, that was it. Wow nevermind. :gonk:

Pretty much my reaction the first time I saw it. I'm staying as far away from that game as possible

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

VoidBurger posted:

I started playing The Thing last night (finally) and it's pretty jank, but has a lot of good little jump scare moments. I'm mostly enjoying it. The controls and menus are hellishly annoying, and the tutorials sound like an intern wrote them for complete blithering idiots though, lol. And I do not appreciate the scripted Thing-ings of my crew though because they don't make plot-sense so far.

Like, I was ALONE for an extended period of time with 2 dudes who ended up being Things all along. 2 out of 3 dudes were Things! They should have killed me because they both know each other are Things and what Things do is they get a guy alone and Thing him up. Instead, they both helped me progress, protected me from bad guys, helped me get a hypo test that would prove they are both Things, then one of them took the hypo test, Thing'd out.... and his buddy who didn't get hypo-tested Thing'd out to for no reason, too. Maybe he got nervous and choked. :ohdear: These Things are not nearly as clever as the ones in the movie if they don't know when they should take their obvious opportunity to Thing me up.

Thing.

There are invisible triggers (usually before boss fights) that cause any remaining buddies to thing out. It doesn't matter if you did a blood test on them 2 steps before you cross the line. They always thing out at the triggers. I discovered this way back when the game was new. As soon as that happened, I put the game down, and have never revisited it, nor have I wanted to.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

That WW1 flasback in The Darkness was pretty cool.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I didn't like how the voice of the Darkness changed from 1 to 2 even though it was the same actor

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Relin posted:

I didn't like how the voice of the Darkness changed from 1 to 2 even though it was the same actor

I don't recall the voice noticeably being different. Probably because Mike Patton would change the voice he used even between scenes in the first game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDP4EtZGF34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWqlTn_dxNg

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
And here's the first trailer for the new FNAF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw4-bZkxyKQ

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Legit looking forward to seeing how that game goes. I don't like half of them, but I appreciate what they are and do.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish someone, anyone would make an actual good horror game lately. poo poo's as bad as with horror movies where i think the last good one released in the past probably five years+ was it follows.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Chev posted:

Looks like there might be some segments where you're actually moving around, which might freshen things up even if it goes against the series' gimmick. That or the animatronics have built in cameras. Not sure how I feel about the animatronic designs. I feel like less is more for this kind of stuff, so at least these are a step up from 4's.

Also, that's some drat nice trailer music.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wish someone, anyone would make an actual good horror game lately. poo poo's as bad as with horror movies where i think the last good one released in the past probably five years+ was it follows.

Welcome to the Game looks promising. It's by the same dev behind Rides With Strangers.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Chev posted:

Maybe it'd be interesting to see their weird Bayformer face sections to sort of move as they look in cameras or open up as some kind of set of teeth, but this doesn't look like much unless you can actually try to move and hide around the lab. Is this a animatronic plant or something?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Crabtree posted:

Maybe it'd be interesting to see their weird Bayformer face sections to sort of move as they look in cameras or open up as some kind of set of teeth, but this doesn't look like much unless you can actually try to move and hide around the lab. Is this a animatronic plant or something?

And just from the spiel, it sounds like it might be some kind of dev lab. Hopefully he's at least taken some pointers from the fan game, "Those Nights at Rachel's". That has a limited amount of movement in it.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 22, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I thought FNAF's music was about to transition into Seven Nation Army for a second.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I'd love to know if that's original music or some off-key public domain tune that would be recognizable otherwise.

I'm wondering what horrid thing will happen when the dancer opens her eyes. Also the lead robot, "Baby," has sewing pins sticking out of her, like a pincushion Raggedy Ann. For whatever missteps Scott has made in gameplay or timing he has a hell of a talent for recognizable, standout character design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I just noticed the soft "You don't know what we've been through" at the end so I guess its possible the robots will actually talk now. But if I hear children trying to be creepy by saying nursery rhymes than there will go my last shred of patience for this franchise.