Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Keep them in an accessible folder that isn't scanned by Kodi. The folder should be hidden in Windows. Then when you want to view the content within it, enable the option to show hidden files in Kodi's settings. Then browse to them using Videos > Files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Don't scrape them and access them through file list?

This, I think there is an option for ignore during library updates. It may be for folders so just put it in a folder.

While I don't blame you for trying to hide it your family wont judge you for having all the Transformer movies.

Edit: Create a folder for the stuff you don't want (all your transformer movies) Set the content as normal but click exclude from library updates.

Bigsteve fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 23, 2016

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ixian posted:

You might have just hit the magic combo. Dark magic. One item 3.1 does have fixes for, after all, is internal storage. It's possible you ran in to a bug during your moves.

What "issues" were you having with Kodi? Might be helpful to know in order to avoid them in the future. I always grab logs when Kodi does weird stuff. Or SPMC in this case since I prefer it on Android TV.

Yeah that's what I think as well. Probably wasn't super smart to install 3.1 at that point, but in my defense I was doing everything at 2am. Stupid thunderstorms waking my stupid dog up. :(

Anyway, Kodi stopped being able to clean the library, which was my first symptom. Then I started getting hangs/pauses while navigating, and then finally I booted it up one day and everything was back at defaults.

Luckily SPMC seems to be working fine, although I'm scared to put the SD card back in. Speaking of:

- I thought SPMC was supposed to put recommendations on the Shield homepage? I don't see that at all.
- It seems like SPMC disables/captures the mic button, which is annoying. Anyone know how to get it to work normally? I like to search for YT vids with it.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Recommendations just worked fine for me. Could try disabling and enabling or a restart of the shield may help.

Currently running Kodi and SPMC. SPMC is updated way more frequently (probably as Kodi team no longer has an android guy duh).
Kodi is my goto player while I set up SPMC how I want it. Been trying new skins and jesus some of them are loving awful.

However Titan is not. Loving it so far. You seem to be able to customise everything on it. It grabs loads of extra stuff including animated artwork if you want it. May be a keeper.

As it stands I guess I will be moving fully to SPMC pretty soon. Libraries are easily sorted and are pretty much set up now. Just may be a while messing with Titan.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Bigsteve posted:

Recommendations just worked fine for me. Could try disabling and enabling or a restart of the shield may help.

Currently running Kodi and SPMC. SPMC is updated way more frequently (probably as Kodi team no longer has an android guy duh).
Kodi is my goto player while I set up SPMC how I want it. Been trying new skins and jesus some of them are loving awful.

However Titan is not. Loving it so far. You seem to be able to customise everything on it. It grabs loads of extra stuff including animated artwork if you want it. May be a keeper.

As it stands I guess I will be moving fully to SPMC pretty soon. Libraries are easily sorted and are pretty much set up now. Just may be a while messing with Titan.

I love Titan, and SPMC. Out of the box Titan isn't much to look at, but as you discovered if you spend a little time configuring it and trying out the options it turns in to something awesome. Make sure you back up the skin settings (in the skin settings dialog, general) - you can use that to restore to another Kodi/SPMC box even and avoid having to set things up again.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Ixian posted:

I love Titan, and SPMC. Out of the box Titan isn't much to look at, but as you discovered if you spend a little time configuring it and trying out the options it turns in to something awesome. Make sure you back up the skin settings (in the skin settings dialog, general) - you can use that to restore to another Kodi/SPMC box even and avoid having to set things up again.

I am having trouble getting it to just show the fanart for the movie you have selected in library view. I have selected fanart and extra fan art but it shows it for a brief moment then goes back to a random movie image. May reset to scratch before doing loads of other stuff.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

DeaconBlues posted:

I have a few movie files that I would like to keep hidden from the Confluence menu system during everyday browsing, like if I have a family member round.

It'll take some set up and a skin that supports it (not sure if Confluence would, I'm using Aeon Nox and it does):
-Tag all your Transformers movies as "transformers".
-Create a smart playlist called "movies".
-Populate the playlist with the movies that are not tagged "transformers".
-Replace the "Movies" item in the main menu with a link to the "movies" playlist.

If you wanna watch Transformers, you can either navigate to you videos and find them through there or create a playlist showing only "transformers" tags. Or, if you're guests aren't too savvy nor snoopers, just leave the playlist laying around and navigate to it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If anyone wants to make Kodi a little bit more awkward to control:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xrrEkimPV4

http://www.howtogeek.com/249336/how-to-control-your-kodi-media-center-with-an-amazon-echo/

funk_mata
Nov 1, 2005

I'm hot for you and you're hot for me--ooka dooka dicka dee.
Clapping Larry

Uthor posted:

If anyone wants to make Kodi a little bit more awkward to control:

http://www.howtogeek.com/249336/how-to-control-your-kodi-media-center-with-an-amazon-echo/

Man, I don't mind making manual changes to Kodi every once and a while, but this looks like a complete nightmare to setup.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://kodi.tv/dev-journal-kodis-s...campaign=buffer

quote:

And we can’t stress this enough, if we don’t get an Android dev soon, Kodi for Android could very well die out. This is a significant future problem.

Somewhat interesting.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Is there anywhere that fully documents what went on? My understanding is that the android guys just wanted to release updates faster than the Kodi guys wanted.
The kodi guys did not want to do this as they are cautious about changing things messing other stuff up and want feature parity between platforms.

Seems odd now that they are saying they intend to release more often. As it stands it looks like SPMC will be the place to go if you have a shield and want updates.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bigsteve posted:

Is there anywhere that fully documents what went on? My understanding is that the android guys just wanted to release updates faster than the Kodi guys wanted.
The kodi guys did not want to do this as they are cautious about changing things messing other stuff up and want feature parity between platforms.

Seems odd now that they are saying they intend to release more often. As it stands it looks like SPMC will be the place to go if you have a shield and want updates.

There's also another spin-off called MrMC, where the developers ripped out add-ons.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Bigsteve posted:

It's an open project, so there's nowhere that "documents" this beyond some forum drama, and some of those posts are gone. The summary as I know it: It wasn't just the update cycle, which was a small part of it. It really boiled down to the same kind of tedious hand-wringing over Design Philosophy that happens a lot in FOSS projects that have a lot of fingers in their development pie.

Basically, the chief (and only for a while) Kodi Android developer wanted to push out changes for the Android client that were specific to Android. The main bit was around the audio engine - audio and audio passthrough in particular are problematic in the mainline branch - and there were a few other things such as support for Android TV favorites and screensavers.

This runs against the Kodi philosophy of one codebase, all platforms. Which they don't always adhere to outside of Android development but that is a different discussion. What it came down to is the "core" team didn't want changes to how audio was handled that would be specific to the Android platform, as well as the other, smaller features.

Since Kodi's addon system is still very limited in some ways there's no way to add platform specific functionality via that route so things reached an impasse and the developer, in frustration, quit. He then branched over to SPMC.

Mainline Kodi for Android is still available but is not being actively developed - it gets updates, etc. along with the main branch, but Android-specific bugs, etc. aren't really getting addressed. Since the guy who did that gave them the finger and moved over to SPMC.

SPMC is great - it is the Kodi version to get for Android, Android TV platforms like the Shield in particular - and is on the Play store, so no sideloading, etc. needed. However at the end of the day it's an offshoot that's maintained by one person, with occasional help. That doesn't bode well for long term maintenance if history is any guide.

So while there's a perfectly good solution to the Kodi/Android problem now there's smoke on the horizon.

Edit: reading that blog post I find it interesting that they (or at least one dev) is actively suggesting moving SPMC/MrMC development features back in to Kodi. So maybe all the recent drama has caused them to change their tune. Not enough to lure the SPMC/MrMC developers back apparently (loved the olive branch in the post where they are called out as "very nice people"). Some damage control going on looks like.

Which makes sense because Android TV and the FireTV are in many ways the future for Kodi. Small x86 boxes, Pi, etc. will have their place but are increasingly becoming niche. And the Kodi team pretty much can't stand the flood of cheap, fly by night Android boxes that more often than not are just fronts for pirate streaming services.

So keeping a presence on Google Play for "official" Android TV boxes - and maybe finding a way via the MrMC route to get back on both the Apple and Amazon stores - is probably a strong priority for them. At least as far as keeping Kodi "legit" goes anyway.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 29, 2016

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Thanks for that, like you say the Kodi team seem to be throwing out a brach to try and get them on side. I can't really see why the don't let the android be a separate entity as long as its not adding totally new stuff without it going in Kodi. If its just fixes for the platform then really what is the harm. As you say the way audio is handled in android made passthrough an issue. My understanding of that is that its fully supported in Kodi 17 and they just didn't want to bring it forward.

For what I need Kodi is pretty much feature set, as long as bug fixes go through then even better. There are some things that could be done better but noting thats going to bother me too much. At the end of the day i've been using it since modded xbox days and love the drat thing so much.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Ixian mentioned it in his post but expecting open source developers to be reasonable or cool-headed about anything isn't a good idea. This same sort of stuff happened when myHTPC went commercial with Meedio, then crashed and burned and MeediOS started.

The amount of whining I've seen in the HTOC software community is just crazy.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Bigsteve posted:

Thanks for that, like you say the Kodi team seem to be throwing out a brach to try and get them on side. I can't really see why the don't let the android be a separate entity as long as its not adding totally new stuff without it going in Kodi. If its just fixes for the platform then really what is the harm. As you say the way audio is handled in android made passthrough an issue. My understanding of that is that its fully supported in Kodi 17 and they just didn't want to bring it forward.

For what I need Kodi is pretty much feature set, as long as bug fixes go through then even better. There are some things that could be done better but noting thats going to bother me too much. At the end of the day i've been using it since modded xbox days and love the drat thing so much.

If anything I expect at least one dev on the Kodi side - I don't know who, I am just making an assumption based on long experience with FOSS projects - to have another meltdown over it and raise a fit.

As weird as it might seem for a FOSS media center project to even have an ideology there is one and good God are there some true believers over there. And since no one technically works for anyone the common nuclear option for settling disputes is for people to take their toys and go home if they don't get what they want.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I have to wonder if the KODI team may have a slight against Android since they are so against 3rd parties selling cheap Android TVs with modded KODI installs.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I think it's much more likely they just want a unified codebase for ease of maintainability and lack Android developers because it's a terrible platform to work with.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
A while ago I had a scaling problem when I turned my TV off and on again that started when I updated to 16.0. It was fixed in 16.1. Supposedly 17 is going to be a big update so I hope they don't break much.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

GobiasIndustries posted:

How do I get shows to list in the main TV Shows menu when Kodi doesn't recognize them? I'm having a problem with Horace & Pete, specifically. For some reason it's only listing the 1st episode of the season for me even though I've got the other 9 in the same directory with the same naming structure and have updated the library a few times since putting them there.

Hey does anyone know how to do this? Whatever Kodi uses to scrape TV shows doesn't recognize this show, how can I get them to show up in the main TV listings?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hey does anyone know how to do this? Whatever Kodi uses to scrape TV shows doesn't recognize this show, how can I get them to show up in the main TV listings?

in the right click menu for the show under the files portion you should be able to select edit show information or something like that, it will let you input the title to scan for

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
This is a good tool too http://www.tinymediamanager.org/

Also I tried the Google music add-on for Kodi and it worked really well. It doesn't seem to have a lot of features yet, but I didn't have any trouble getting it to work. It's still in the experimental stage. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=200640

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Any way to make the circle button on the Shield remote not return to the main android TV screen when in SPMC/kodi?

In the BBC app back button does nothing and you need to press the circle button twice to get out of the app, so I'm hoping there's something that can be done?

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Anyone had the issue in music where you selct the album and fir some reason it highlights a track halfway through? Its annoying having to scroll up to start.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

MeKeV posted:

Any way to make the circle button on the Shield remote not return to the main android TV screen when in SPMC/kodi?

In the BBC app back button does nothing and you need to press the circle button twice to get out of the app, so I'm hoping there's something that can be done?

Can't. Controlled by Android.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

MeKeV posted:

I haven't tried this on an Android TV device, but I think you are going to have to set Kodi as your Launcher. This app is supposed to do that for you:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.blunden.xbmclauncher&hl=en

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I feel like I've asked this before, but I can't remember. I have to gently caress with the video calibration after watching a movie or the Twitch plugin. Is there some way to force Kodi to remember the overscan settings?

dabs violently
Jul 27, 2013

sorry if this has been mentioned already in the thread - i run salts on kodi with trakt integration and for the last 2 months or so, whenever i finish streaming a file through salts kodi will crash with windows' generic "kodi has stopped working" message. it doesn't seem to happen if i stop the stream a few seconds before the very end and start another one which leads me to believe it's crashing when it tries to update trakt. has anyone encountered this or know a solution?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

check the kodi log and see what is output just before the crash and that will probably give you a starting point

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Has anyone else's Kodi stopped noticing .mkv files since updating to Jarvis? If I manually browse to "Files" under "Video" I can browse to and watch the videos, but when I try to browse to them through the "TV" option the directories are blank.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

speedtek posted:

Has anyone else's Kodi stopped noticing .mkv files since updating to Jarvis? If I manually browse to "Files" under "Video" I can browse to and watch the videos, but when I try to browse to them through the "TV" option the directories are blank.

No, that is a pretty one-off problem (trust me, if there was a widespread issue with MKV files in Jarvis there would be an uproar).

Try deleting/rebuilding your video database.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, the TV and Movies sections depend on the database. The files browser does not. If your content is in one but not the other your database isn't right in some way.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

speedtek posted:

I have this trouble too. It can't see MKV files on it's own.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Looks like plex now has kodi integration like emby has. I haven't used it yet.

https://github.com/croneter/PlexKodiConnect/wiki/Installation

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I have an MX-3 remote and I've had an issue a few times recently where keyboard commands stop working. I don't think it's a Kodi issue because if I close it and open Notepad I can't type any letters. I did notice that sometimes the cursor would move though so I opened up the virtual keyboard and turned Numlock off. After that it started working fine.

What I think the issue is is there is some shortcut or combination of keys that turns numlock on and prevents the remote from working correctly. Has anyone else come across this? Does anybody know what the command is so I can turn it off without closing Kodi and opening the virtual keyboard?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I was installing Kodi on a Fire stick today and started remembering when I first started using this software in its XBMP days on a modded Xbox and I started getting all nostalgic and poo poo.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

CubanMissile posted:

I was installing Kodi on a Fire stick today and started remembering when I first started using this software in its XBMP days on a modded Xbox and I started getting all nostalgic and poo poo.

I remember when XBMP development ended and XBMC started, I was actually pissed because XBMP needed more work and XBMC wasn't great when it first launched.

But XBMC got good fast, so I got over it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lowen SoDium posted:

I remember when XBMP development ended and XBMC started, I was actually pissed because XBMP needed more work and XBMC wasn't great when it first launched.

But XBMC got good fast, so I got over it.

Haha, I had totally forgotten about that. IIRC I went back to using Avalaunch for a few months because of that one, but XBMC got me back really fast when I gave it another shot.

The Xbox homebrew scene was amazing. I haven't seen any other consoles before or since where so many people could legitimately say they were actually using the mods for homebrew software or added features (being able to run games off my fast hard drive rather than my lovely Thomson DVD drive) and not just piracy. The 360 and PS3 both had some gems, but the fact that online really mattered for those systems kept the community a lot smaller because most weren't willing to give that up. The Wii is probably the only other one that got close to Xbox levels.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

Looks like plex now has kodi integration like emby has. I haven't used it yet.

https://github.com/croneter/PlexKodiConnect/wiki/Installation

I've been running this for a week and while its more finicky than the Emby addon its still pretty good. The Native Paths thing works very well for playback, practically instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
So just an update to the random TV show episodes missing from my library - it wasn't just .mkv files. Going to "TV Show Information" and then "Refresh" made them reappear. I just had to do it for every show that was missing files.