Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Just FYI, the 5x if bought through Fi is still $199/$249. You won't find a better deal on the 5x until the next 5" is released. I do recommend the 6P though, it's hands down the best phone I've ever used. If you're worried about the size, it's basically the same width as a 5" phone, just taller, and I think that really helps it be manageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yep the 6P really is the bees knees. I thought it would be too big as well, but now I couldn't go back to a regular 5".

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
The only thing I don't like about my 6P is that I now notice the slight bend it has near the volume rocker. Haven't decided if I want to pursue a replacement already.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Still on the fence about ditching Sprint with my Samsung Galaxy S5 for Project Fi with a Nexus 5X. I pay $57 after tax each month for Sprint, I don't use wireless data ever and my plan is for 1GB, I am also not happy with my phone; which is up to 6.0 but it is bloated with Sprint and Samsung software and has slowed down a lot even due to the software updates. Last week I reset my phone back to factory default and it did nothing for performance. I have $140 left on my month to month phone payment, so I could pay that off right now by leaving Sprint. Someone make the decision for me.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I said come in! posted:

Still on the fence about ditching Sprint with my Samsung Galaxy S5 for Project Fi with a Nexus 5X. I pay $57 after tax each month for Sprint, I don't use wireless data ever and my plan is for 1GB, I am also not happy with my phone; which is up to 6.0 but it is bloated with Sprint and Samsung software and has slowed down a lot even due to the software updates. Last week I reset my phone back to factory default and it did nothing for performance. I have $140 left on my month to month phone payment, so I could pay that off right now by leaving Sprint. Someone make the decision for me.

I switched to fi two months ago and have been paying about $85/month for 3gb and a Nexus 6p on installment.
For the last two months I was still a Sprint employee and could have continued to receiv my service with unlimited data for free.
I'm saying that you should strongly consider switching to fi.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Ordered a 6P and Fi sim a few days ago.

I plan to use my iPhone 6 in a no-sim / wifi / tethered to the 6P capacity in the interim until I sell it for continued access to Apple Apps

Am moderately excite

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I said come in! posted:

It sounds like Fi would be good for you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

azurite posted:

It sounds like Fi would be good for you.

The main reason to do it would be to save money in the long run which seems like I would?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
You would also get tmob reception which is fast and ftw

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Jacobin posted:

Ordered a 6P and Fi sim a few days ago.

I plan to use my iPhone 6 in a no-sim / wifi / tethered to the 6P capacity in the interim until I sell it for continued access to Apple Apps

Am moderately excite

Could also get them to send one of those free Data-Only Sims and throw that in your iPhone 6.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

maltesh posted:

Could also get them to send one of those free Data-Only Sims and throw that in your iPhone 6.

Thank you for pointing this out- this might do just the trick.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My only complaint so far with Fi is that sometimes I'll just completely lose wireless data and will have to restart the phone. That's it.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
I just experienced an issue with my 6P wanted to give you folks an update. This morning I noticed my charger wasn't working.. so I tried my A to C cable and It didn't work. Basically my phone wouldn't charge. I looked into it and apparently it's happened to other people. Clear your cache and reboot the phone.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I just switched my wife to a 5x an Fi. In the last three days she has started receiving spam text messages. She ported her number from AT&T and has never received any prior. Any ideas? Call Google?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
ATT gave her number and info away as a gently caress you.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I just switched my wife to a 5x an Fi. In the last three days she has started receiving spam text messages. She ported her number from AT&T and has never received any prior. Any ideas? Call Google?

Try Mr. Number or Truecaller from the play store? They work pretty decently.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Same exact issue on my side except from Verizon. Spam calls, faxes, the works.

I now block calls from any non-contact number on my phone :shrug:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Weird, my spam all but stopped when I switched from AT&T to Fi. Could be perception but I only remember one spam text in my two months on Fi.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I came from AT&T as well, and have had very little spam. The fact my wife had none till the port was suspicious to me. She likes it otherwise.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Weird that you'd get advertisements on a carrier intended specifically to harvest your data to better serve you advertisements.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

Weird that you'd get advertisements on a carrier intended specifically to harvest your data to better serve you advertisements.

Quit trolling. Google isn't handing your data out to overseas VOIP spammers mass-dialing IRS warnings, timeshares, and credit card offers and you know it.

Far more likely, one or more spammer has inside access to the ports database at these companies (considering how much they outsource, almost certain) and his wife's number ended up on a fresh list. A ported number is likely more valuable to a spammer since blocking is done at the device level and the new owner won't have done that yet.

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

It's laundry day; I'm down to my priest outfit.
I have an iphone 5s, which I really like, and I'm visiting Germany in a month and want to be able to use data for maps and translating and whatnot. Does it seem feasible to get the data-only sim and stick it in that phone or am I overlooking something? Has anyone done this recently? I'm in the US and my current service is with Verizon, but their international plan is too expensive for what you get. (Honestly, if I didn't have to buy a new phone, I would switch over right away.)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Do Verizon CDMA phones work in GSM Europe?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Ranter posted:

http://willmyphonework.net/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ranter posted:

Verizon iPhones since the 5 have had unlocked GSM out of the box. A 5S might even have the proper LTE bands for Germany. Only some 5's have the US T-Mo bands, but that shouldn't matter in Europe.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

loldance posted:

I have an iphone 5s, which I really like, and I'm visiting Germany in a month and want to be able to use data for maps and translating and whatnot. Does it seem feasible to get the data-only sim and stick it in that phone or am I overlooking something? Has anyone done this recently? I'm in the US and my current service is with Verizon, but their international plan is too expensive for what you get. (Honestly, if I didn't have to buy a new phone, I would switch over right away.)

Here's my experience with Project Fi sims.. A) don't stick them in anything but an android B) If you do stick them in an android be prepared to factory reset it if it screws up C) DO NOT stick someone else's Fi card into your Nexus Phone if you're on Fi.

In essence. Do so at your own risk.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Darkpriest667 posted:

Here's my experience with Project Fi sims.. A) don't stick them in anything but an android B) If you do stick them in an android be prepared to factory reset it if it screws up C) DO NOT stick someone else's Fi card into your Nexus Phone if you're on Fi.

In essence. Do so at your own risk.

Aren't you talking about the regular SIM? I don't think the same rules apply to the data-only SIM.

I think there are substantial differences between the way Fi treats them. The most notable thing is the fact that you'd only be using T-Mobile on the data-only SIM.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

azurite posted:

Aren't you talking about the regular SIM? I don't think the same rules apply to the data-only SIM.

I think there are substantial differences between the way Fi treats them. The most notable thing is the fact that you'd only be using T-Mobile on the data-only SIM.

Any FI SIM acts this way. A buddy tried to activate his data sim in my phone because he didn't have a nexus and let me tell you. That took a week to fix that cluster gently caress. Every person I've talked to with experience putting SIMs in non nexus phones was a cluster gently caress.

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

It's laundry day; I'm down to my priest outfit.
Thanks everybody! This seems like a good opportunity to experiment with it I guess. If I go for it, I'll report how it goes

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism
Does anyone else experience apps crashing when the cellular network switches? Games like Clash of Clans/Royale and many others that normally would give a connection warning and stay open are simply crashing even if cell data is turned off and I'm on stable wifi. Is this a known issue? I found one thread on google forums but it had no acknowledgment of the issue.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

the auschwitz diet posted:

Does anyone else experience apps crashing when the cellular network switches? Games like Clash of Clans/Royale and many others that normally would give a connection warning and stay open are simply crashing even if cell data is turned off and I'm on stable wifi. Is this a known issue? I found one thread on google forums but it had no acknowledgment of the issue.

The SA app will refresh the page when it connects to a different cell network. What's super annoying is that it'll do it even if I'm connected to wifi.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

the auschwitz diet posted:

This happens to me when I'm underground (like waiting for the subway) and it does cause whatever app I'm using to crash. I don't know why it does what it does, but it's usually when it's searching for a signal and eventually gives up. So when I'm going underground I just flip on airplane mode. It only ever happens once, though. Not constantly.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Fhqwhgads posted:

This happens to me when I'm underground (like waiting for the subway) and it does cause whatever app I'm using to crash. I don't know why it does what it does, but it's usually when it's searching for a signal and eventually gives up. So when I'm going underground I just flip on airplane mode. It only ever happens once, though. Not constantly.

I've definitely had it happen multiple times on the same train ride.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have two stupid questions, if you can indulge me:
-If I sign up for Google Fi and order a Nexus 5X today, what are the chances it'll show up by Friday? The website shows that it'll ship in 1-2 days, but I don't know if it's going to be two-day shipping or regular ground or what. I'm leaving town for the weekend and would rather not have a package sitting outside my door while I'm away.

-I'll be able to switch back to the TMobile Nerd Plan, right? Porting to Google Fi and back should count as a new activation unless there's something I'm missing. Fi would be a little more money per month with less data, but I think it'll be okay when I look at how much I use, per minute overage charges I rack up on TMobile, and theoretically better reception away from the city where TMobile fails me. No harm in trying it out for a month or two.

EDIT: gently caress it, made the plunge. There was a 2-day shipping option that I took.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 17, 2016

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've just gotten a 6p via Fi and am currently testing it out and so far so good. The 6p is very nice and noticeably faster than my MotoXP 15 and the AMOLED screen is much richer.

So far at home Fi has me connected to a Sprint tower one time but usually the same T-Mobile LTE near me but speed tests are much much slower than my MXP via T-mobile, like 22/5 vs 5/1 slower if I turn the wifi off and just use cell coverage. I'll give it a shot on my travels between Sacramento and the SF Bay Area on the train and see if it drops off in the usual spots and re-boots the Awful app 10 times each way. Either way it's $40/month cheaper than my current T-Mobile plan and $70/month cheaper than my last Verizon plan.

My phone took 7 days from order (Friday to Friday) to arrive in Norcal from where it shipped from in Illinois.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I had a really bad time trying to use Fi on a recent trip to Alaska.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Sub Rosa posted:

I had a really bad time trying to use Fi on a recent trip to Alaska.

Ah gently caress. What kinds of problems? I'm headed there in a few days.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Ok I tried some more tests with wifi off at various spots around me over the last day or two. I still need to do a proper travel test but I think Google Fi will be okay.

.............and just like that I just noticed I wasn't receiving calls with wifi turned off and had to do the Airplane mode toggle on/off to start getting them. Hope this doesn't turn into a daily occurrence.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 18, 2016

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me
If I sign up for Google Fi and get a 5x but after a few months don't like the service, I can port my line and bring the Nexus 5x to any of the major US carriers. Am I missing anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Evil Crouton posted:

If I sign up for Google Fi and get a 5x but after a few months don't like the service, I can port my line and bring the Nexus 5x to any of the major US carriers. Am I missing anything?

That is how it should work. Many people are using it as a way to get the discounted Nexus.