Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Heavy Metal posted:

Maybe they could come up with a new Quake setting, but if going nostalgia I'll take a Quake 1 game. Agreed we don't need another strogg game. Or maybe they could throw in some nods to both or something, since you can hop from setting to setting in Quake.

Yeah I'd be okay with a few strogg levels as part of one episode as long as they don't dominate the whole thing.

You could effectively replace the techbase zombies with strogg. Just make sure you still have ogres and knights and poo poo like that.

RealSovietBear posted:

I didn't like the multiplayer, so after I finished the singleplayer campaign I spent a few days messing around in the SnapMap editor which I really enjoy (I find its restrictions fun to work with). Spent three days working on a map that I uploaded yesterday and it was featured in RockPaperShotgun today. I guess I should stop now that I've made "the best SnapMap for now and forever"...

No loving poo poo, you made Hot Potato Doom? Dude, congrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

RealSovietBear posted:

I didn't like the multiplayer, so after I finished the singleplayer campaign I spent a few days messing around in the SnapMap editor which I really enjoy (I find its restrictions fun to work with). Spent three days working on a map that I uploaded yesterday and it was featured in RockPaperShotgun today. I guess I should stop now that I've made "the best SnapMap for now and forever"...

That was you? Hilarious. You should link to your run-through video at least. It's too bad Mirror's Edge 2 is almost finished...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h9BYuVf0_I

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 18, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

fishmech posted:

Yeah but which Quake? A new one in the style of Quake 1? A new one in the style of Quake II or 4? A new one in the style of Quake III?

Quake 1 for sure - ideally not Strogg from 2/4 and not solely an MP style like Quake 3 was. Interestingly enough, here's a little blurb from the Quake wiki:

quote:

In June 2011, John Carmack made an offhand comment that id Software was considering a remake to the "...mixed up Cthulhu-ish Quake 1 world and rebooting [in] that direction."

I know Carmack left id back in 2013, but let's hope this ends up being the case for a Quake reboot :woop: wanna see a Shambler using the latest id Tech engine and be able to caress Shub Niggurath's sweet tentacles in VR

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RealSovietBear posted:

Kudos! I'll check that out.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I'd be okay with a few strogg levels as part of one episode as long as they don't dominate the whole thing.

You could effectively replace the techbase zombies with strogg. Just make sure you still have ogres and knights and poo poo like that.

No loving poo poo, you made Hot Potato Doom? Dude, congrats.

I especially want some weird deathtrap mazes of death.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Quick question, what can I use to record some Doom gameplay? Neither the built in DVR in Windows 10 or the Nvidia Experience thing (ShadowPlay?) seem to work so I'm looking for a free simple non-terrible option.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Agoat posted:

How do you edit a Snapmap that you've saved but not published?

My Maps then click on it and Edit.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Yoshimo posted:

Quick question, what can I use to record some Doom gameplay? Neither the built in DVR in Windows 10 or the Nvidia Experience thing (ShadowPlay?) seem to work so I'm looking for a free simple non-terrible option.

Try OBS!

https://obsproject.com/

Jum-Jum posted:

My Maps then click on it and Edit.

D'oh. Thank you.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
If they make a new Quake, I sort of hope they make it kind of the metaverse of the id games. So keep the eldritch nightmare setting, but let the slipgates sort of seep into other realities like Doom / Quake 2 / Rage / Wolfenstein etc. Maybe even Fallout or Morrowind. I'd be neat if done well, but I don't know if it could be done in a cool dimensional interloper way and not a dumb fan service easter egg way.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Zaphod42 posted:

I want a sequel to quake 1 really bad, but I would expect a sequel to quake 3 is more likely, and I'll take that too. That'd be my second preference. But the dark lovecraftian horror of quake 1 is something Id hasn't quite returned to since, and I'd love to see what they could do with lovecrafitan cosmic horror given modern technology. And as much of Quake 1 was a hodgepodge of themes, the mix of techbase and medieval castle and interdimensional nightmare planes worked really well.

Please, not Quake 2. We already got Quake 4. I don't want Quake 2-3.

Quake 3 visuals were fairly Quake1/Doom style. Lots of pentagrams, bones, skulls, lava, hell, all that jazz. They also sped up the movement and rockets ala quake 1, brought back the nailgun and lightning gun ala quake 1. Quake 3 was more of a sequel to Quake 1 visually and game play wise than Quake 2, and that's a good thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MysteriousStranger posted:

Quake 3 visuals were fairly Quake1/Doom style. Lots of pentagrams, bones, skulls, lava, hell, all that jazz. They also sped up the movement and rockets ala quake 1, brought back the nailgun and lightning gun ala quake 1. Quake 3 was more of a sequel to Quake 1 visually and game play wise than Quake 2, and that's a good thing.

Only a little bit. Have you played through all 4 episodes of quake? (don't mean to be all :smuggo: but it kinda matters)

There's a ton of variation in quake 1. Its pretty much daikatana before daikatana, with Romero just throwing everything at the wall he can get to stick.

There's lots of pentagrams and bones and lava, but there's also just some really weird nightmare-castles and things like that. Really surreal abstract spaces. Quake 3 pretty much didn't even touch those things. Same with the medieval dark-wizard tileset stuff.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I'd play the gently caress out of a new Quake 1 type game. I loved that game and it's weird techno-satan-wizard-cthulu mash up.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Zaphod42 posted:

Only a little bit. Have you played through all 4 episodes of quake? (don't mean to be all :smuggo: but it kinda matters)

There's a ton of variation in quake 1. Its pretty much daikatana before daikatana, with Romero just throwing everything at the wall he can get to stick.

There's lots of pentagrams and bones and lava, but there's also just some really weird nightmare-castles and things like that. Really surreal abstract spaces. Quake 3 pretty much didn't even touch those things. Same with the medieval dark-wizard tileset stuff.

I played through it a while ago. I still play Quake World (ie Quake1) DM and 1v1 duels though. And there were some castle sort of things in Quake 3. I've played through all the Quakes SP games, but I mostly stuck with Quake for the MP side of things. For me id was Doom SP, Quake MP. Which probably explains why I thought Quake 2/4 were not all that good.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Lodin posted:

I for one shed a tear the first time I picked up one of the small Marine figures.
Yes, the fistbump is probably humorous to some but to me it said so much more about The Doom Marine. This man has spent how many years now doing nothing but butchering zombies and demons? How can such a man feel anything but trauma? His whole existence is pain and hurting!
The fistbump with the doll is clearly him remembering all his brothers in arms that died before the first game. It is all survivor guilt and hurt! It is all that is left of his humanity.

When I saw the fistbump and finger sparkle, it made me realize something else I think. Doom Guy isn't killing demons because he's just so pissed off at demons that he's consumed by it... he's having fun! He's in a good mood! Doom Guy thinks the most kick rear end thing you can possibly do in this universe and all others is to kill the ever loving gently caress out of some demons. Doom Guy is a thrill junky, and every time you think he's showing just how broken and angry he is, he's really just getting impatient about not being able to kill demons right this second.

Underneath that mask, he probably just alternates between these two emotions constantly:

this:

and this:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I played through it a while ago. I still play Quake World (ie Quake1) DM and 1v1 duels though. And there were some castle sort of things in Quake 3. I've played through all the Quakes SP games, but I mostly stuck with Quake for the MP side of things. For me id was Doom SP, Quake MP. Which probably explains why I thought Quake 2/4 were not all that good.

Quake 2's multiplayer was awesome I'd say. And the music was freakin' awesome, some bits of DOOM 2016's music reminds me of that.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Heavy Metal posted:

Quake 2's multiplayer was awesome I'd say.

Ehhhhh........

It's not that I don't agree! I loved it, but it wasn't nearly as good as Quake World or Quake 3. Quake World and Quake 3 moved much, much faster. Two felt too slow. Also the rocket, grenade, and other projectiles weren't that fast. Layer on top of that levels with really stupid items (cough breathing masks, the bfg in it, and more) and you had a mess. Then there was the issue of chaingun/railgun hitscan dominance and the obscene plasma weapon and moronic machine gun that forced your aim up.

Compared to a lot of other games at the time it was awesome, but compared to Quake 3 or Quake World it was a problematic mess and not nearly as fun.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GreatGreen posted:

When I saw the fistbump and finger sparkle, it made me realize something else I think. Doom Guy isn't killing demons because he's just so pissed off at demons that he's consumed by it... he's having fun! He's in a good mood! Doom Guy thinks the most kick rear end thing you can possibly do in this universe and all others is to kill the ever loving gently caress out of some demons. Doom Guy is a thrill junky, and every time you think he's showing just how broken and angry he is, he's really just getting impatient about not being able to kill demons right this second.

Underneath that mask, he probably just alternates between these two emotions constantly:

this:

and this:

a vg post

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Compared to a lot of other games at the time it was awesome, but compared to Quake 3 or Quake World it was a problematic mess and not nearly as fun.

What about the CTF mod with the grappling hook? And how about lots of weird custom models? Quake 2 is the only game I played with lots of wacky models like playing as Mega Man etc. it was a magical time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thank god Doom 4 didn't end up like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjy-1vbkQMo

Rage of Duty.

GreatGreen posted:

You don't have to guess what his expressions are because Doom 1 showed us. He varies beteween shifty eyes looks and this:

Reminder that Doom's origin is Aliens (the movie) and Evil Dead. Doomguy is basically Ash. And Ash had a good time when killing.

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I agree with the people who say Quake 1 style but adding on one of the worlds/dimensions/timelines(?) being strogg-infested would be the best way to make a new Quake game.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Heavy Metal posted:

What about the CTF mod with the grappling hook? And how about lots of weird custom models? Quake 2 is the only game I played with lots of wacky models like playing as Mega Man etc. it was a magical time.

CTF with grapple hooks was in Quake 1 as well. But Quake 1 was faster, with better weapons, and less hitscan dominated, thus better!

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I picked this up last night and started to play through it. I'm not far at all, but it seems really solid to me.

I jumped right in to Ultraviolence difficulty, and I'm trying to play with a controller which I realize is very suboptimal for FPSes, but the way my living room is set up right now makes it much more attractive than durdling around with a keyboard and mouse. My initial impression is that ultraviolence with a controller is... very difficult. Am I setting myself up for really significant frustration as the levels progress, or does the difficulty stay pretty consistent as your arsenal improves?

I just beat the game on UV from start to finish on my first run, on PS4. It is difficult as you are adjusting to the game, but it gets easier with weapon upgrades and even better when you get the SSG and Chainsaw.

I used the scope on machine gun to obliterate imps with no hassle, but it does need the upgrades to work well.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

RealSovietBear posted:

EDIT: Here's a video playthrough of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h9BYuVf0_I

Typed in the map ID they list on RPS (ZGLRZC92) and it turns up not showing anything. Am I doing this wrong?

Edit: Nevermind... found it with "potato" as a search term.

Essobie fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 18, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Just do Doom vs. Quake.

Doomguy has to fight the Strogg and Matthew Kane has to fight demons. Then they team up for co-op missions, right around the time some rear end in a top hat thinks to "Strogg-ify" demons.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CTF with grapple hooks was in Quake 1 as well. But Quake 1 was faster, with better weapons, and less hitscan dominated, thus better!

Quake 2 had better maps, and you could hit a button to fill a room with lava! (I prefer Quake 1 by far for single-player though)

Wanderer posted:

Just do Doom vs. Quake.

Doomguy has to fight the Strogg and Matthew Kane has to fight demons. Then they team up for co-op missions, right around the time some rear end in a top hat thinks to "Strogg-ify" demons.

I love that you know the Quake 4 guy's name (I just googled that). It's like remembering the name of the protagonist from Avenging Force (1986), which is Matt Hunter of course. Fun bit of trivia, Chuck Norris plays another Matt Hunter in another fine 80s action film Invasion U.S.A.! It's crazy!

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 18, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Wanderer posted:

Just do Doom vs. Quake.

I love this more than you can possibly know.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Heavy Metal posted:

Quake 2 had better maps, and you could hit a button to fill a room with lava! (I prefer Quake 1 by far for single-player though)

Outside of DM1TheEdge I don't agree!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Man I don't know if going straight into Nightmare was the best idea when my last classic-FPS experience was plaything through Marathon again a year ago, but it sure is fun when I actually manage to progress.

Am I going to regret this?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Outside of DM1TheEdge I don't agree!

Quake 2 had a party atmosphere and was like hanging out with Motley Crue on tour!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Black Griffon posted:

The game very suddenly spikes in difficulty when you get to hell, so you'll find out right then and there!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Black Griffon posted:

Man I don't know if going straight into Nightmare was the best idea when my last classic-FPS experience was plaything through Marathon again a year ago, but it sure is fun when I actually manage to progress.

I went through for the first time on Hurt Me Plenty and had a blast. I've since started a new game on Nightmare and it's really fun but still kicking my rear end and I'm dying a lot.

If you're not on your A game I don't know if I'd start at the hardest difficulty, personally. Nightmare is hard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

Somebody asked the same question like last page. I dunno dude, it depends upon what kinda guy you are. Don't ask other people to make that decision for you.

Does it get harder? Yeah. Do you get more guns? Yeah. Does that balance? I don't know. Nightmare is hard. Do you want it to be hard?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Wanderer posted:

Just do Doom vs. Quake.

This would rule so hard, do this and/or make the Quake reboot one where you can hop among dimensions and each dimension has it's own hosed up monsters/aliens/elder beings/whatever. Make the story sort of like Doom in that the US military found a way to open portals to other dimensions (instead of a Hell portal) and all the hosed up, random characters are due to different monsters traversing the portals to other dimensions. Like, a knight is kinda random and maybe doesn't make sense in the Quake universe, but make that knight come from a messed up medieval "dark ages" dimension and build a small world/level around that concept.

Better yet, bring on a guy like Guillermo del Toro to do the Giger/Lovecraft type horror dimension and pick his brain on some other weird/cool/creepy designs.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Somebody asked the same question like last page. I dunno dude, it depends upon what kinda guy you are. Don't ask other people to make that decision for you.

Does it get harder? Yeah. Do you get more guns? Yeah. Does that balance? I don't know. Nightmare is hard. Do you want it to be hard?

https://www.twitch.tv/draqu_

Counterpoint: Draqu is now doing Nightmare speed runs

Apparently he died over 10 times on the previous run despite being the second person to complete Ultra Nightmare.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

BOOTY-ADE posted:

This would rule so hard, do this and/or make the Quake reboot one where you can hop among dimensions and each dimension has it's own hosed up monsters/aliens/elder beings/whatever. Make the story sort of like Doom in that the US military found a way to open portals to other dimensions (instead of a Hell portal) and all the hosed up, random characters are due to different monsters traversing the portals to other dimensions. Like, a knight is kinda random and maybe doesn't make sense in the Quake universe, but make that knight come from a messed up medieval "dark ages" dimension and build a small world/level around that concept.

Better yet, bring on a guy like Guillermo del Toro to do the Giger/Lovecraft type horror dimension and pick his brain on some other weird/cool/creepy designs.

It doesn't have to make sense. Just kitbash all the poo poo into a single game and let you murder all of it! There's not reason they can't do Quake World and Quake Wars as two different Quakes. As long as both get made everyone wins, twice!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/draqu_

Of course you could be this guy who switched from doing the easiest difficulty for speed runs and is now doing Nightmare.

Yeah but he beat the game a long time ago. I watched him, it was amazing. Dude makes me wanna practice my bunny jumping.

I probably wouldn't recommend nightmare for your first run, but do what makes you happy if that's your thing.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Wanderer posted:

Just do Doom vs. Quake.

That's quakeguy/ranger to your, son. :toughguy:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Again, is there no way to go to Nightmare or Ultra Nightmare when replaying levels? :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

That's quakeguy/ranger to your, son. :toughguy:

He was talking about Quake 4 guy though, not Quake 1 guy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I just like the idea of a double-silent-protagonist buddy movie/action film where they smash demons' skulls open and communicate almost entirely in nods and fist-bumps.

Make a co-op glory kill where they fist-bump through a demon's skull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'd play an Army of Two with Quake and Doom guy teaming up.