Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Chicken posted:

It's amazing talking to people from Saskatchewan who complain about crown corporations and how because they are owned by the government they must be more expensive. They genuinely do not understand that the rest of Canada pays significantly more for phone, internet, and car insurance and that private companies charge similar rates to Sasktel because they have to compete with them. My sister didn't believe me until I told her to go to the Rogers website and change the province in the little drop down box. Her plan in Saskatchewan is $60 and would be $90+ anywhere else in Canada.

Crown corporations are literally the only not lovely thing about living in Saskatchewan now that house prices aren't dirt cheap.

I was at a social gathering of young hipsterish 20 somethings the other evening and at one point the conversation briefly turned toward how awful Canada's cell phone plans are. I generally try to avoid politics chat in situations like that for obvious reasons but I did opine that Canadian telecommunications companies are extremely parasitic and that they're essentially a useless middle man utilizing government supported infrastructure while keeping the profits of their activities private. I cited South Korea as an example of a country with much better cell phone plans that we could potentially use as a way of measuring just how bad our own telecomms are.

The two replies I got was a young woman who kept repeating that "some people" think that "more competition" would be the answer. I didn't probe her for details and instead moved the conversation to a different topic but it was fascinating the way she kept repeating this line about "competition" as though the word itself had some kind of magical power to automatically improve services. The other response I remember was a guy dismissing the comparison between Canada and Korea because there are more people in Korea.

It was a brief exchange in-between more banal topics and I don't want to read too deeply into it but I did find it pretty telling, and very similar to other conversations I have with young and professionally oriented people these days. So far as I can tell the comments about "competition" weren't based on any kind of knowledge of telecomms or even any kind of sophisticated economic theory -- "more competition" is just one of those buzzwords that immediately sounds like it would make things better. And even though South Korea is barely a generation away from having a Human Development Index comparable to Somalia, we already think it's natural that they as a society would have better technology than we do.

The take away here being, for me at least, that it really is remarkable how inclined Canadians are to see our perpetual state of national mediocrity as some kind of natural order that could never be changed or altered. And the ones who do see room for improvement are mostly just imagining how much more efficient we'd be if our leaders chugged more Free Market cool aid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
canada could be so great u guys

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I think it's sort of a truism that any country could always be made somewhat better or somewhat worse than it currently is.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

Do it ironically posted:

I know De Grood will be found NCR but it's funny that, and this is part of the crown's questioning, he immediately used the lawyer's advice and wouldn't talk to the police right after being arrested, and when first met the psychiatrist knew about NCR as a defence of a crime.

Um, i don't really care what kind of distress you're in but anyone with even a passing knowledge of LEOs and the criminal justice system knows that the cops are not your friends and to never talk to them without a lwayer. I

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hey guys, who wants to see an actual loving email from the worst canadian I got tonight.

quote:

To Rona Ambrose: Conservative Interim Leader
Subject: Transgenders (Another Name for a Pervert) in Public washrooms
ASSUMING YOU ARE A FEMALE I WONDER WHAT YOU WILL BE LOOKING FOR WHEN YOU GO IN THE MEN’S WASHOOM TO TAKE A LEAK.
ARE YOU GOING TO ALLOW ONE OF YOUR FELLOW QUEERS TO TAKE PICTURES OF YOU?
ARE YOU GOING TO SELL THE PICTURES OF THE SAID EVENT?
ARE YOU GOING TO INVITE JUSTIN IN TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR PANTIES?
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WHEN CHILDREN ARE VICTIMIZED BECAUSE OF THIS?
YOU AND THE REST OF THE FOOLS SHOULD LEAD BY EXAMPLE AND GET TOGETHER IN AN EXPANDED OPEN WASHROOM TO SHOW THE REST OF THE QUEERS THE NEW PROPER PROTOCOLS BY HAVING A PISS-IN.

MY INNER ME AND MY OUTER ME AGREE YOU ARE A loving IDIOT
TO MINISTER OF JUSTICE
WHEEN QUEERS WERE IN THE CLOSET, THE AVERAGE CITIZEN DID NOT HAVE TO CONSIDER ANY ASPECTS OF THEIR EXISTENCE. NOW THAT THE QUEERS HAVE FORCED PEOPLE TO CONSIDER THEIR LIFSTYLE(sic) IT IS OPEN TO CRITICISIM.
MEN ARE NOT ALLOWED IN WOMEN’S WASHOOMS
WOMEN ARE NOT ALLOWED IN MEN’S WASHROOMS
THIS SEEMS LOGICAL FOR OBVIOUS REASONS
WHEN THOSE THREE JUDGES CHANGED THE DEFINITION OF MARRIAGE, THEY DID NOT ALLOW FOR THE PROTECTION OF CHILDREN (OR ADULTS FOR THAT MATTER) IN THE PUBLIC WASHROOMS OF CANADA.

UNTIL SUCH TIME AS THOSE THREE FOOLS FIGURE OUT SOME BASIC PROBLEMS WITH THEIR DECISION, THE SHOULD BE ANULED.(sic)

Any wonder I drink? (Typos are from the original document and marked by me)

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
God dammit I hate when American craziness leaks. I'm not saying things are great for transgendered people, but targeted victimization and bathroom bills seem a more recent phenomena following on the heels of Americans.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

JVNO posted:

God dammit I hate when American craziness leaks. I'm not saying things are great for transgendered people, but targeted victimization and bathroom bills seem a more recent phenomena following on the heels of Americans.

He's writing because we're saying gently caress that noise to that bullshit pre-emptively

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Let's all congratulate ourselves on not being Amerikkkan and on having such a dreamy progressive Prime Minister for ten pages. Nobody in Canada would be mean to trans people if not for those nasty Amerikkkans.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
yeah i mean canada isn't a poo poo rear end backwater because we're just building up all that dry powder of exceptionalism

you know save for a rainy day

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I hope that the Justin cuts off all our dicks and grow new humans in incubation chambers so that we can be done with this stupid bullshit and focus on real issues like generating market wealth for our masters.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hey guys, who wants to see an actual loving email from the worst canadian I got tonight.

Any wonder I drink? (Typos are from the original document and marked by me)

This begs for a dramatic reading.

Also, has any man ever given the slightest gently caress about a woman being in the men's room? No, because men and boys are not property which must be protected from the threat of evil vaginas. Women and girls, if they were to accidentally see a penis on the otherhand, are automatically damaged goods. And that's before the penis detects a woman and begins the auto-rape sequence.

Seriously, could we exile these people along with Francoists (too many of those fuckers still wandering around, I've noticed)* and jihadis to some kind of shithole where they can jerk themselves off to their religious purity and/or kill each other?

* It was not allowed to access the grave of the Nationalist oval office who held the Alcazar of Toledo, or I'd have spat on it. And maybe taken a piss if no one was looking.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Helsing posted:

Let's all congratulate ourselves on not being Amerikkkan and on having such a dreamy progressive Prime Minister for ten pages. Nobody in Canada would be mean to trans people if not for those nasty Amerikkkans.

Yeah I didn't say this you disingenuous arsehole. I specifically said things aren't peachy for trans people in Canada- in fact far from it. But this particular brand of craziness over bathroom bills did not originate in Canada.

I've volunteered in the LBGT community for years- I'm bi and most of my friends are some flavour of queer. So I'm not some ignorant gently caress claiming Canada is immune to transphobia. Right now a close friend of mine is busting his rear end selling off possessions and artwork to self fund a top surgery that should be covered by UHC as far as I'm concerned. And that's just one of many, many issues that need to be addressed.

I also don't give a poo poo about Canadian exceptionalism or posturing as 'better than Americans'.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Helsing posted:

The take away here being, for me at least, that it really is remarkable how inclined Canadians are to see our perpetual state of national mediocrity as some kind of natural order that could never be changed or altered. And the ones who do see room for improvement are mostly just imagining how much more efficient we'd be if our leaders chugged more Free Market cool aid.

I wouldn't be so surprised, I recognize that type of commentary too. Everyone spends their lives bombarded by that "free market" crap, either outright stated or implied in every news broadcast and in every paper both here and from the US. The only reasons I don't buy into it are because a)I've always been relatively poor compared to my neighbours and b) I grew up reading enough sci fi dystopias to know one when I see one. If your personal story arc goes from 'the pink ranger gives me funny feelings in my pants>a bunch of school your parents pay for>do nothing job>gently caress off to alberta' then you're probably just going to repeat whatever dumb poo poo you've heard your whole life.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

JVNO posted:

Yeah I didn't say this you disingenuous arsehole. I specifically said things aren't peachy for trans people in Canada- in fact far from it. But this particular brand of craziness over bathroom bills did not originate in Canada.
The CPC shot down several "bathroom bills" (their term for bills trying to protect trans people under anti-discrimination laws) while they were in power from 2006-2015, long before the current transgender controversy in the States.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm paying less than €10/2GB data in Europe where I pay like $60 for the same in Canada, on contract no less. Canadian telcoms can go suck my rear end in a top hat.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

jm20 posted:

So think that Saskatoon would be much better without some ethnic minority for which you think are both economically inferior and prone to violence. This being the only problem you've identified with the city.

Boy, I sure look silly now.

No, I think it would be better without the gang violence.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Trans people should be given the autonomy and respect to figure things out for themselves but the fact that the bathroom usage of approximately 0.1% of the population has been turned into the great progressive cause of our times is about as good an indicator as I think of for how totally hosed we are. I don't think this issue would be nearly so popular if it didn't afford a lot of young people the chance to congratulate themselves on being so sexually forward thinking while leaving any awkward or divisive conversations about economics or the environment completely off the table.

I feel like such a typical lefty shithead bemoaning identity politics as getting in the way of economic populism, and you know, it may very well be that there's some of that going on below the surface. But gently caress if I can't help but get irritated at the extent to which representation has replaced redistribution as the focus of leftist activism. It's gotten to the point where I can't help but be annoyed by people for whom sexual politics just seems to be everything.

JVNO posted:

I've volunteered in the LBGT community for years- I'm bi and most of my friends are some flavour of queer. So I'm not some ignorant gently caress claiming Canada is immune to transphobia. Right now a close friend of mine is busting his rear end selling off possessions and artwork to self fund a top surgery that should be covered by UHC as far as I'm concerned. And that's just one of many, many issues that need to be addressed.

I also don't give a poo poo about Canadian exceptionalism or posturing as 'better than Americans'.

I can't read your mind and know exactly what you mean or what your own life experiences are. All I know is that you just characterized transphobia as somehow being an example of America "leaking". Framing any conservative idea or instinct as some kind of American mind virus that is infecting the Canadian body politic is a very common and, for the most part, really counter productive habit that a lot of Canadian progressives have adopted.

Also, for what it's worth, my reply was mostly targetted at bunnyofdoom, a guy who seems very nice and personable but who I think has a really obnoxious habit of just coming in here to post feel good stories about Trudeau while simply refusing to ever acknowledge or discuss the fact that on most substantive issues the Liberals aren't notably different or better than the Conservatives. As I see it, someone who comes here to talk about their job working for a political party should have the loving balls to actually debate and discuss their governments behavior instead of just going "gee whizz look at the dumb thing some redneck wrote in an e-mail".

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
yo, if we start giving people free sex changes, will they also fund penis enlargement?

asking for a friend

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Stickarts posted:

Agreed. I'm in a cabin in the woods still working on my manifesto. Thanks to my provincial crown corporation I have internet service up here, and it is surprisingly affordable!

How much actual contact do you have with First Nations people and the inner city, besides getting mad at those loving bums on the street corner while you lock your car doors waiting for the light to change?

I don't live in Saskatchewan anymore so very little these days. but the school I went to used to bus natives in from the reserve daily to go to our school, so I had plenty of contact with "reserve" natives. I have no animosity towards natives, and don't think they should life themselves up by their own bootstraps.

Neither do I get mad at bums on the street, I am no a conservative, I vote NDP or Liberal in some cases. I don't lock my door at stop lights unless the bum is super sketchy and acting like they are high on drugs.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Helsing posted:

Also, for what it's worth, my reply was mostly targetted at bunnyofdoom, a guy who seems very nice and personable but who I think has a really obnoxious habit of just coming in here to post feel good stories about Trudeau while simply refusing to ever acknowledge or discuss the fact that on most substantive issues the Liberals aren't notably different or better than the Conservatives. As I see it, someone who comes here to talk about their job working for a political party should have the loving balls to actually debate and discuss their governments behavior instead of just going "gee whizz look at the dumb thing some redneck wrote in an e-mail".

Ok fine. Let's do this. You are so full of poo poo with your little Liberal Tory same story bullshit. You claim that we are the same based off cherry picked bullshit one offs. And yhes, our platform is very different from the CPC, including alot of legislation and other governmental functions, and yet every single time I bring this up, or god forbid, point out by your same logic NDP/Tory same story because they voted with the cons on many issues, I get shut down so you can have your little circlejerk. So, stop deflecting cause JVNO is sick of your poo poo, stop dumping on me, and stop insisting we aren't notably different than the conservatives because that is such a load of bullshit. You are the archtypical stereotypical "leftist" that gives conservatives boners and Rush whines about. I am sick of your poo poo.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Helsing posted:

Trans people should be given the autonomy and respect to figure things out for themselves but the fact that the bathroom usage of approximately 0.1% of the population has been turned into the great progressive cause of our times is about as good an indicator as I think of for how totally hosed we are. I don't think this issue would be nearly so popular if it didn't afford a lot of young people the chance to congratulate themselves on being so sexually forward thinking while leaving any awkward or divisive conversations about economics or the environment completely off the table.

I feel like such a typical lefty shithead bemoaning identity politics as getting in the way of economic populism, and you know, it may very well be that there's some of that going on below the surface. But gently caress if I can't help but get irritated at the extent to which representation has replaced redistribution as the focus of leftist activism. It's gotten to the point where I can't help but be annoyed by people for whom sexual politics just seems to be everything.

The only person who is pretending that people can only care about one thing at once is you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

I can't read your mind and know exactly what you mean or what your own life experiences are. All I know is that you just characterized transphobia as somehow being an example of America "leaking". Framing any conservative idea or instinct as some kind of American mind virus that is infecting the Canadian body politic is a very common and, for the most part, really counter productive habit that a lot of Canadian progressives have adopted.

Actually I think the right of a significant minority of people to be guaranteed the right to relieve themselves in a public washroom safely is pretty important. Surely such basic human rights are more important than money, or is this just the leftist version of FYGM?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PT6A posted:

Actually I think the right of a significant minority of people to be guaranteed the right to relieve themselves in a public washroom safely is pretty important. Surely such basic human rights are more important than money, or is this just the leftist version of FYGM?

It's the old leftist bullshit about marginalised groups agitating for their particular concerns getting in the way of the ~real~ revolution, which is the white male worker's.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
"justin really is better u guys he'll make canada the best it can be just give him a chance"
:qqsay:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

"justin really is better u guys he'll make canada the best it can be just give him a chance"
:qqsay:

You know I'm right when CI mocks me.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

JVNO posted:

I specifically said things aren't peachy for trans people in Canada- in fact far from it.

Yeah, it seemed obvious to me that's what you meant. Guess this isn't important to people.

Also given that poo poo like someone literally firebombing a sex reassignment clinic in Montreal this month it's definitely more of a "thank god we have this silver-lining moment" than a token "pat on the Canuck back" moment.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/arsonist-attempted-to-set-fire-to-canadas-only-clinic-providing-sex-reassignment-surgeries

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

When will Trans Mountain be required to pass a new review process as promised during the election?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

THC posted:

When will Trans Mountain be required to pass a new review process as promised during the election?

Right now?

Case in point on the cherry picking.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The LPC is very different from the CPC in the way they frame issues and manage issues, but looking at the end legislation I don't think they differ at all. The LPC is for sure walking back some legislation that touches on social issues but the CPC did all the deregulation dirty work for them which will remain on the books.

At the end of the day lobbyists and industry group lawyers write the bills that get tabled by both parties.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

That's not a new process. They just added some steps to the existing process. We were promised an entirely new review.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Did PT6A and Helsing just body-swap or something? What is going on?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

THC posted:

That's not a new process. They just added some steps to the existing process. We were promised an entirely new review.

Ah yes, the classic splitting hairs. No true Scotsman and poo poo. Yes, it is a new process. And yes, they need to be reviewed.

But I'm sorry we're not immediately cancelling it. Or wait, would you bitch about that if we did because the LPC did it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Funkdreamer posted:

Did PT6A and Helsing just body-swap or something? What is going on?

Helsing's been slightly more like me lately, but I don't think I've moderated myself at all. All truculence, all the time!

In all honesty, I think my positions are more or less completely consistent with what I've always said, barring the occasions where I've admitted to being wrong and changing my view.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 18, 2016

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

When NEB approves KM TM on Friday I will only be mad because it's a Liberal government doing it

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
drat near brawl in the House Of Common. Justin becoming more and more like his father.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

THC posted:

When NEB approves KM TM on Friday I will only be mad because it's a Liberal government doing it

Uh-huh.

So, no other comments on me pointing out your cherry picking? Would you like a link to all the poo poo done different from the CPC? How about all the bills the NDP voted in lockstep with the CPC on? But yes, yes, since you are so sure this will be happening, this proves the LPC is evil and terrible.

This kinda circlejerk bs is why I don't post. Also, Helsing stopped posting. Whoops. As I see it, someone who comes here to talk about their feelings about a political should have the loving balls to actually debate and discuss when their poo poo gets called out instead of going "liberal/tory same story"

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lmao

it's cherry picking when it's facts you don't like bitch

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

You calling it a new review process is like if I claimed I put out an entirely new app today when really I just fixed some issues resolving dates in regions that use the Buddhist calendar.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
namaste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

THC posted:

You calling it a new review process is like if I claimed I put out an entirely new app today when really I just fixed some issues resolving dates in regions that use the Buddhist calendar.

And you are calling it the old process like if we changed the app, updated it, added new features, disabled gps, fixed bugs like we left the font the same.

Also, again, you are ignoring all my other points, but then again, you do that with anything you disagree with.