Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

holocaust bloopers posted:

Hey so is gsync a god send for racing sims or what? I'm looking into upgrading from a no frills 1080p panel running on a gtx 970

If you're sticking with a single monitor, go gsync ultrawide!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

njsykora posted:

A mention because I forgot this was coming out as well, the AC Japanese car pack is coming out tomorrow. Roughly 99% of the promotional shots out at the moment are of the MX-5 Cup car, which I think is the 2016 version rather than the 2015 they keep saying. It's weird that there seems to have been no promotion for this pack whatsoever, I don't even think they've released a full car list.

They released the car list a little while back when the pack was officially announced on their blog. The cars are:

Mazda MX-5 road/cup car - http://imgur.com/a/sbcC5
RX-7
2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo - http://imgur.com/a/u3VsB
Nissan GT-R 34
Toyota Supra in three versions
Toyota AE-86 in two versions

I'll try to update with more albums today after the pack is released and people start taking a lot of shots.

In other news, it looks like the complaints/suggestions about VR have not fallen on deaf ears and there will be "Pre-Alpha" support of VR in the update.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Updated the OP a bit, Automobilista for SCE and threw out nkPro.

Anyone up for some AC this weekend? Didn't do anything the last two because I was kinda not in the mood for sim racing. And also a bit bummed because the last race no one showed up at all :(

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

GhostDog posted:

Updated the OP a bit, Automobilista for SCE and threw out nkPro.

Anyone up for some AC this weekend? Didn't do anything the last two because I was kinda not in the mood for sim racing. And also a bit bummed because the last race no one showed up at all :(

If my out of town guests are gone, I'm down. I might be available Sunday.

My work schedule is pretty crazy (freelance) so I can never set solid appointments, but if I'm available I always like to drive a car around a track while goons race in front of and around me.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Ratmtattat posted:

They released the car list a little while back when the pack was officially announced on their blog. The cars are:

Mazda MX-5 road/cup car - http://imgur.com/a/sbcC5
RX-7
2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo - http://imgur.com/a/u3VsB
Nissan GT-R 34
Toyota Supra in three versions
Toyota AE-86 in two versions

Didn't they also pick up the 787b? Could swear I read that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Regarding Formula Truck, it has been confirmed that F-Truck's content is coming to Automobilista as a DLC pack, though it's probably not going to be officially licensed because Formula Truck don't want to be in the same game as Stock Car. Also it'd be free DLC for people who own F-Truck.

I'd be up for AC MX-5 funtimes if I wasn't working all weekend. As it is I'm just curious what's going to be in the new patch whether it's just gonna be a thing to add VR support or a full 1.6 update.

GhostDog posted:

Didn't they also pick up the 787b? Could swear I read that.

Did some searching, the 787b and first gen MX-5 are apparently going to be free content later in the year.

E: Pack is out, £3.99 in the UK.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 18, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There were some issues at first but a hotfix for the patch has been released. Assetto Corsa works with Oculus 1.3. it's still the same thing as before where you have to do everything on your monitor, press drive and then put on the rift. Once you're in the rift, it's all pretty good. There's a UI now so you can access the menus available in game as well as see the normal driving UI.

Some people are reporting they are getting it to work with the Vive via whatever method is used to make rift games work on the Vive.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Gunna drive the gently caress outa that MX5 tonight

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Norns posted:

Gunna drive the gently caress outa that RX-7 tonight

:agreed:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Im gonna drift tofu around.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

OhsH posted:

Im gonna drift tofu around.

Black Cat gunna get a lot of laps in it from me with these cars from today's pack.

I'm done with iracing for a while again...time to adjust to GT3s in AC and find a leauge.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Norns posted:

I'm done with iracing for a while again...time to adjust to GT3s in AC and find a leauge.

Gross

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

Gunna drive the gently caress outa that Skyline tonight

Me too.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

The pop-up headlights on the RX-7 are fully functional so Assetto Corsa is now the greatest sim.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've got a 27" gsync monitor coming my way

:woof:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Every car in this pack is awesome.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

njsykora posted:

Every car in this pack is awesome.

I'm still at loving work! Putting in extra time before my last day on the 30th.

After that im going to have a bunch of time to put in laps.:hellyeah:

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Using a DK2 and ask really happy with the new VR. Great graphics that I liked with the old SDK and now the UI works, which I wasn't expecting right away. Performance is good on my gtx780 until I add 23 opponents, then it seems to just immediately cut the fps in half. Totally going to buy that DLC as well.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I somewhat grudgingly bought the earlier DLCs for a track and one or two cars i actually wanted. This time I wanted everything and everything arrived and it was just like I imagined. The FD is the fastest feeling car in AC for me, driving it around the ring I never felt I had enough space, because it just keeps on pulling. The 370z is really well done as well, feels like an ugly muscle car. The ND is of course fantastic, and feels remarkably close to the test drive I had in one; That was the club, do we know which trim they went with physics-wise?

First lap around the ring with the miata:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuzbajT8nPE

Yes I know I'm bad at driving.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The RX7, AE86, and Nissans are super fun. I wish I could race them this weekend but I won't be anywhere near a computer. :saddowns:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Was just randomly browsing car videos on youtube and really enjoyed this realtime clip of a VW Golf speedo:

It's a 730 horsepower biturbo tune.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Assetto Corsa and all Dream Pack DLCs are 40% off right now.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

All the cars in the Japanese pack are loving fantastic.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

They really are, I loved all those cars in the 90s (if only it was the 300ZX instead of the 370) and Kunos did a really nice job with them.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

GhostDog posted:

Assetto Corsa and all Dream Pack DLCs are 40% off right now.

Wish list didn't say poo poo about this. Grr. Thanks for the heads up.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Wish list didn't say poo poo about this. Grr. Thanks for the heads up.

You'll get a notice tonight or tomorrow, wishlist deal notices are really slow.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
Is it just me or did the sound quality in AC jump up quite a bit with this pack/patch?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Eleeleth posted:

Is it just me or did the sound quality in AC jump up quite a bit with this pack/patch?

The Japan pack cars sound a lot better than DLC has in the past, but still not quite right. The sound mixing though is certainly improved in my opinion.

This is never gonna happen but someone's trying to crowdfund a laser scan of the Isle of Man TT track for modders to use. Aside from no-one's going to help him pay £12k for this someone on the AC forums mentioned AC can't handle tracks that don't fit in a 16x16km box, and the TT track is too long for that. There's also the fact that Sony and Kylotonn have licensed the track for GT and a TT game, and Kylotonn are laser scanning it. Then the issue of this is a track 3x longer than the Nordschleife and no-one is going to take that up as a mod project.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah the 16x16km thing is so disappointing, we'll never see the Targa Florio in AC. Both the original project and subsequent attempts to continue are indefinitely postponed.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Guys. I had no idea RX7s were this loving cool.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Only the greatest car ever built!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Yeah the 16x16km thing is so disappointing, we'll never see the Targa Florio in AC. Both the original project and subsequent attempts to continue are indefinitely postponed.

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huSgVM9O5yw

I downloaded from the description of that. Haven't gotten far enough to tell if physics get weird (I am bad at driving and keep crashing).

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Wasn't their solution to just scale it down a bit?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sound mods are starting to appear for the Japanese cars, there's an AE86 sound mod out that's pretty awesome.

An interesting video that got posted in the Reiza forums, the dudes that got contracted to do the coding for Automobilista did a talk at a development conference. If you're interested in the inner workings of one of these games it's worth a watch.

Also Dirt Rally is apparently getting VR support patched in by the end of June.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 22, 2016

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Sounds like the Japanese pack is a good purchase.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Assetto corsi today?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
It sounded like most people are unavailable today, so I hadn't planned on anything. I wanted to get a regular schedule going, but squeezing in between iRacing sessions on sundays seems to do participation no favor. Quite frankly I don't know what to do.

Edit: I haven't really tried the DLC cars yet, so let's just meet up at 19 GMT and hoon around a bit in open practice, and if we get enough people together we can just start a race. How about that?

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 22, 2016

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GhostDog posted:

It sounded like most people are unavailable today, so I hadn't planned on anything. I wanted to get a regular schedule going, but squeezing in between iRacing sessions on sundays seems to do participation no favor. Quite frankly I don't know what to do.

Edit: I haven't really tried the DLC cars yet, so let's just meet up at 19 GMT and hoon around a bit in open practice, and if we get enough people together we can just start a race. How about that?

put the server up and i'll be there earlier because im bored.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Hi Sim Racing thread :

I've been away from this for a bit, but I just wanted to toss out there:

I convinced my friend with a Consumer Oculus Rift to pick up Project CARS, and I gave him my old Logitech Driving Force GT.

We live in the goddamned future. It is the most immersive, amazing computer racing experience you can possibly imagine. Worth every single penny.

I just need to come up with a lot of pennies, now.

:tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

OhsH posted:

put the server up and i'll be there earlier because im bored.

I'll see if I can make it a bit earlier.