Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This thread over the past 2 days:

"gently caress boomers for not leaving the workforce" :qq:

"Ageism kicks out people over 50 and makes it so they can't reenter the workforce" :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Pham Nuwen posted:

This thread over the past 2 days:

"gently caress boomers for not leaving the workforce" :qq:

"Ageism kicks out people over 50 and makes it so they can't reenter the workforce" :qq:

Really, both points are valid. :shrug:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I might could work with this, thanks fir the screen grab!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Sure older peopel may have some limitation imposed by age - there's not getting around the fact that at 75 your body aint gonna work like it was at 25 - but literally you see ageism start about 45 when someone is actually these days in their prime. 50? Come on, there's people who do Ironman and do it well. 60? Can still beat the poo poo out of much younger. 70? I've been ripped to shreds by a old guy on a steel bike uphill. I'm drat near fainting and he's like "Hi, isnt this nice?" 80? Still see men and women working happily in their own businesses. 90? Okay now we are talking outliers here but I used to do IT for a guy who was still at his desk every day and you could not put a thing by him, sharper than anyone in the office. Age is no barrier but there is a lot of fuckwits who dont see it that way
Hell, I got into a debate when some younger woman was going on about how "old" people cant do poo poo and and her definition of old was 50. Which I then had great pleasure in telling her what I did a day. Someone half my age B about old and feeble 50 year old when she was face to face with someone who literally does 80km bike and then 2km swim a day whenever I feel like it. I know I'm not the normal 47 year old but come on, 50 aint old anymore, this isnt the 19th century where you were lucky to reach 50. 65 used to be retirement age because that when a fuckload just drat well died. Now? You got 20 years left, 15 of them most likely will be good ones.
In a very real sense this is the problem. People aren't dying at 40, and the reproductive rate hasn't decreased to match the increase in career span. The problem isn't "you're old and incapable, get out" it's "you're old and too experienced and too expensive and wtf are you doing still working?"

And as -isms go it's probably one of the more valid ones. There's no capability difference between races, but there is a very real difference in experience and expectations (in most cases) between a new graduate and a 50 year old veteran.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 18, 2016

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Could you make it of something that's susceptible to breaking up with vibration?

Or make them with a thicker wall for coating, then thin them out afterwards?

Afraid I can't help much. We have some stuff PVD'd by subcontractors on occasion, but it tends to be things that are like half an inch thick and made of stuff like Inconel, so they're pretty resilient.

I hadn't thought of the vibration. Thanks. Makes me wonder if there's something I could dip graphite in in an ultrasonic to break it up.

As far as etching a cylinder down, the trouble is that we can only make something so smooth, so to take a larger cylinder and bring it down, we would need TWO nearly perfect faces (the internal one is the real PITA here- this is on the scale of a 4mm O.D.) whereas with deposition we only need to worry about the outside of the mandrel.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm trying to switch industries right now (IT->design) and am really struggling. Im about to turn 33 and starting over makes me feel like a colossal loser. I'm competing with (and losing to) candidates 10 years younger than me who are fresh out of school and internships with a lot of inertia. It's completely unnerving. When I apply and do info interviews I get a lot of "why are you here?" vibe.

Oh and I've never driven a Cobalt but my wife's 7th gen Civic is pretty solid. 118k and no interior rattles or any other issues. The interior and trunk are also cavernous.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tusen Takk posted:

Also the only thing I've ever heard of deviated septum a from is coke and piercings, what the heck happened that she got one??

Congenital, in her case, apparently. Nobody really looked until now. Took a CT scan to show the problem. The bone in the middle was wider and offset, nearly blocking off one side of her sinuses. I'd have to look at the paperwork again to say exactly what procedures were performed, but it amounted to "making opening to sinuses bigger". She's much better today.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Congenital, in her case, apparently. Nobody really looked until now. Took a CT scan to show the problem. The bone in the middle was wider and offset, nearly blocking off one side of her sinuses. I'd have to look at the paperwork again to say exactly what procedures were performed, but it amounted to "making opening to sinuses bigger". She's much better today.

Glad to hear! :3:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
So the G35 is getting a tiny noticable rattle during "swift" acceleration. All the hangars and such are A-ok, so I'm thinking it's time to replace the cats. I'm thinking high-flow cats, a new cat-back exhaust, and... a pair of electric cutouts. :unsmigghh:

Also, TWC is still rock-solid in my area. I am the 1%

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Devyl posted:

So the G35 is getting a tiny noticable rattle during "swift" acceleration. All the hangars and such are A-ok, so I'm thinking it's time to replace the cats. I'm thinking high-flow cats, a new cat-back exhaust, and... a pair of electric cutouts. :unsmigghh:

Also, TWC is still rock-solid in my area. I am the 1%

60 ms is "rock solid"?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm just hoping to be an expensive consultant by the time "ageism" would even come close to affecting me.

That being said, I don't see how people can justify the "they're close to retirement, they're just gonna leave in a few years anyways" line of reasoning. Paying people less and not caring about loyalty is apparently a thing now (I've experienced it myself, as I ranted about a while ago, I even got a plaque for it!) and if you're assuming they're gonna quit for a higher paid position within 3 years and be replaced by some other sucker, who cares if they're gonna reach retirement age in 5 years? That's 2 years after you expect them to leave anyways.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Sigma X posted:

60 ms is "rock solid"?

NOT ALL OF US ARE FIBER OPTIC OVERLORDS :(

But seriously though, that's a local server here that always has a semi-high ping rate. For TWC, I'm not complaining. I was really expecting TWC to have horrible drops and constant stress-inducing speed issues after the high-speed switch; like a lot of people were complaining about in other areas.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

The answer is you're never truly ready, and half of the baby garbage you bought, you will never touch.

Pretty much. All that's really needed is boobs for food, diapers, wipes, white onesies/clothes, same color socks (gently caress non-matching socks, they always get lost), and a bottle of bleach to turn everything white again in the washer. Beyond that, a carseat and stroller that the car seat clicks into. We did that with our daughter and everything worked out fine since we had a bunch of poo poo we threw out after my son was a few years old. It took me a couple strollers to find one that actually worked out well. My wife always wanted to buy "high end" strollers like Peg Perego bullshit. I hated them, they were flimsy and more importantly, they didn't roll well or turn worth a poo poo. But it had that name brand loving sticker on it and that made it a-ok. The best strollers ever are the cheap Graco click connect stuff with the base, car seat, and stroller and you can get the whole system for under $200.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

keykey posted:

Pretty much. All that's really needed is boobs for food, diapers, wipes, white onesies/clothes, same color socks (gently caress non-matching socks, they always get lost), and a bottle of bleach to turn everything white again in the washer. Beyond that, a carseat and stroller that the car seat clicks into. We did that with our daughter and everything worked out fine since we had a bunch of poo poo we threw out after my son was a few years old. It took me a couple strollers to find one that actually worked out well. My wife always wanted to buy "high end" strollers like Peg Perego bullshit. I hated them, they were flimsy and more importantly, they didn't roll well or turn worth a poo poo. But it had that name brand loving sticker on it and that made it a-ok. The best strollers ever are the cheap Graco click connect stuff with the base, car seat, and stroller and you can get the whole system for under $200.

Don't forget a Pack 'n' Play, or two. You become fully portable with one.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Day three of the new "workflow process" and the daily meeting is already up at 35 minutes, this morning is literally just sorting through emails and filing them on SharePoint despite the fact that I could reply to them way faster.

Send help.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Darchangel posted:

Pretty much the same deal as mine was. Found in a CT scan that was to look at my sinus turbinates. I ended up having surgery on both things at the same time, and it was pretty miserable the day of, but got better rapidly in the following day. Hopefully your wife will see rapid recovery and be able to breath much better!

In the ageism talk, I got pretty lucky to get into my current IT job at 45, and because of how specialized every piece of software in our company is, it's a huge loss whenever some old person retires and takes their 20+ years of experience with them. It's just not something that can be replaced by new people without a lot of time and the pain that comes along with their learning. Luckily, the company seems to understand that, and they have started revising all the pay grades annually to keep up with the market and try to retain people. It's very common to have people with 15-25 years with the company and be well into the 'older' age bracket.

Side effect, we get to see "Our company mourns the loss of...." pieces on the company news feed fairly frequently as old IT dudes that fail to take care of themselves keel over and die before deciding to retire.

Edit: I was in a meeting where the Associate Director of my group was talking to a Senior Director about hiring new people. The consensus was that a new hire that had all the technical knowledge, but no direct experience inside our specific industry would take between 9 months to a year before they could be handed a project and be able to handle it at a reasonable level of proficiency. So basically they have to write off that first year's salary as on the job training. This was not dependent on position either, it was applicable for Business Analyst, Devs, or QA (which is the positions that make up my group).

The Locator fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 18, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

Pretty much the same deal as mine was. Found in a CT scan that was to look at my sinus turbinates. I ended up having surgery on both things at the same time, and it was pretty miserable the day of, but got better rapidly in the following day. Hopefully your wife will see rapid recovery and be able to breath much better!

In the ageism talk, I got pretty lucky to get into my current IT job at 45, and because of how specialized every piece of software in our company is, it's a huge loss whenever some old person retires and takes their 20+ years of experience with them. It's just not something that can be replaced by new people without a lot of time and the pain that comes along with their learning. Luckily, the company seems to understand that, and they have started revising all the pay grades annually to keep up with the market and try to retain people. It's very common to have people with 15-25 years with the company and be well into the 'older' age bracket.

Side effect, we get to see "Our company mourns the loss of...." pieces on the company news feed fairly frequently as old IT dudes that fail to take care of themselves keel over and die before deciding to retire.

Edit: I was in a meeting where the Associate Director of my group was talking to a Senior Director about hiring new people. The consensus was that a new hire that had all the technical knowledge, but no direct experience inside our specific industry would take between 9 months to a year before they could be handed a project and be able to handle it at a reasonable level of proficiency. So basically they have to write off that first year's salary as on the job training. This was not dependent on position either, it was applicable for Business Analyst, Devs, or QA (which is the positions that make up my group).

Yeah, we're having the same issue. It's getting so bad they are starting to rank experience over degree holding.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

blk posted:

I'm trying to switch industries right now (IT->design) and am really struggling. Im about to turn 33 and starting over makes me feel like a colossal loser. I'm competing with (and losing to) candidates 10 years younger than me who are fresh out of school and internships with a lot of inertia. It's completely unnerving. When I apply and do info interviews I get a lot of "why are you here?" vibe.

Oh and I've never driven a Cobalt but my wife's 7th gen Civic is pretty solid. 118k and no interior rattles or any other issues. The interior and trunk are also cavernous.

We should grab lunch one day.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Anyone have experience with the 2015+ Challenger? Had a quick look about and there seem to be some rust issues to do with dumb insulation foam and something to do with a plastic idle tensioner on older R/T models fragging engines. Was looking into getting the Scat Pack because lal poop jokes and just wanted to see if anyone had any major red flags with them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, we're having the same issue. It's getting so bad they are starting to rank experience over degree holding.

My company already does that. If you have experience relevant to a position here, and we have an opening posted, you would have a big advantage over a degree holder without that experience.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Don't forget a Pack 'n' Play, or two. You become fully portable with one.

Good point, I forgot that one it's been a few years. That was one of the items we kept between the two kids. We purposely bought fairly unisex colored accessories with my son because we planned on having 2 kids, had we got all boy stuff our daughter would have just been using boy colors. I mean, it's not like the kid gives a poo poo what color it is, that's more for the adults.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tusen Takk posted:

Glad to hear! :3:

Thanks!

The Locator posted:

Yeah, that the thing they looked at.
Good Lord, yesterday afternoon was nighmarish, though.

Regarding the ageism thing, I'm more than a little bit concerned now. I'm 46, and still a PC/Mac janitor, so...
I have no interest in management, so I guess I've painted myself into a corner. At least the Mac part there puts me a little up the ladder.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
In my tech company community, we're not worried about long term retention, as turnover is probably 2-4 years. The product changes all the time, the market changes all the time. It's fine for someone to be mercenary and just work a short stretch as long as they're effective throughout. When I've interviewed older engineers (like 50 and above), the two things that are the biggest negatives is if they've not kept up with new technologies and if they seem extremely different from overall company culture. Of those two things, the latter is definitely a true form of ageism. Even now, there's a rift at above 30 vs below 30.

blk posted:

Im about to turn 33 and starting over makes me feel like a colossal loser. I'm competing with (and losing to) candidates 10 years younger than me who are fresh out of school and internships with a lot of inertia. It's completely unnerving. When I apply and do info interviews I get a lot of "why are you here?" vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xG4oFny2Pk

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

blk posted:

I'm also trying to switch industries and by the time I get out of school and start looking for a job I will be 34. I also feel like colossal loser.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Oh god what have I done, I just signed up with Frontier. :sigh:

$45/mo for 50/50, so a bit cheaper than TWC's 50/5. And they let me skirt by without a deposit (but they don't give you a reach around on the $80 install fee). TWC wants a deposit on top of an install fee, even though I'd be transferring an existing account. :fuckoff:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

some texas redneck posted:

I just signed up with Frontier. . And they let me skirt by without a deposit

:eng101: That's because they'll keep charging you for three months after you cancel!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

MustardFacial posted:

I'm also trying to switch industries and by the time I get out of school and start looking for a job I will be 34. I also feel like colossal loser.

Would you rather be in that industry or 34 or not be that industry at 34? It's the only pertinent question you should be focusing on.

IN OTHER NEWS...

:siren: I'M OFFICIALLY HALFWAY DONE WITH MY MASTER'S DEGREE :siren:

Despite sliding in with my rear end on fire in Power Systems Analysis this semester, I'm still 4.0 strong throughout the entire fucker. I'm gloating because gently caress you I'm legitimately proud of myself and I really want to savor this particular milestone.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

^

That makes me happy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

:eng101: That's because they'll keep charging you for three months after you cancel!

And THIS is why I never do auto pay.

Also, just missed a call from Frontier (caller ID shows the same number I called to set up service)... they left a voicemail saying "your worst nightmare" in a creepy voice. :stare: Their call center supes are pulling call recordings now.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Haha, I love those voice-to-text voicemail thingers. Once, according to the thinger, my girlfriend left me a message that concluded with "my magazine rusty carlin i can't love you bye".

Is that really what the voicemail said? :ohdear:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Post the audio cmon do it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

scuz posted:

Is that really what the voicemail said? :ohdear:

Yes it is, aside from the "sorry".

fyodor posted:

Post the audio cmon do it.

Any suggestions on how to rip audio from Google Voice easily?

e: :doh: you can download voicemails directly from GV. mp3 here

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 18, 2016

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Adiabatic posted:

Would you rather be in that industry or 34 or not be that industry at 34? It's the only pertinent question you should be focusing on.

I'd rather be in it for sure, but at the same time I wish I had done this when I was 24 instead of grinding away in the games industry because "hurr hurr I make video games for a living." And I definitely wish I'd started this instead of listening to my parents and going into the family business.

But I digress, wishing past events turned out differently is about as useful as an rear end in a top hat on your elbow.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2016/05/14/the-drunkest-and-driest-cities-in-america/

My home state took 12 of the top 20 spots, and 4 of the top 5. I live in #9. :toot:

I'm dragging down that average I barely drink at all anymore.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Gorson posted:

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2016/05/14/the-drunkest-and-driest-cities-in-america/

My home state took 12 of the top 20 spots, and 4 of the top 5. I live in #9. :toot:

Oh good, #13!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

some texas redneck posted:

Yes it is, aside from the "sorry".

Any suggestions on how to rip audio from Google Voice easily?

e: :doh: you can download voicemails directly from GV. mp3 here

That sounds like a goony goon.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Dealership somehow put all the magic smoke back in the truck, and due to nagging from me found the source of the fire. After asking them to inspect a certain section of wiring harness due to smoke and heat coming from that area, they put the truck back on a lift and noticed the positive battery cable was routed wrong and caused it to rub on the steering shaft, causing the insulation on the wire to wear away and finally cause a short. They claim it had to happen during a steering box or rack and pinion swap, but those parts are still the original ones from the factory with 0 work being done in that area. That means the wire somehow lasted 145k miles and 10 years of rubbing against the steering shaft. As for long term effects that may not be noticed, I've got a co-worker with a hate boner for insurance companies and works for his families shop who is perfectly alright with telling my insurance that any electrical issue is tied to this and an insurance agent that agreed to having the shop of my choice determine if any electrical issues I suffered were a result of this. I feel alot better about having my plastic turd back at least. :toot:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Gorson posted:

Oh Wisconsin, never change. Thanks for giving factual support for stereotypes. :thumbsup:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Gorson posted:

That list could alternatively be titled 'College Towns with small non-student populations'. Ames and Iowa City, home to ISU and the University of Iowa are both on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

drat. You know you work at an awesome place when your boss is telling you to blatently lie about something to colleagues so he looks good. The Peter Principle prevails once again at the community college. Also, gently caress that guy. The truth always wins.

• Locked thread