Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Teenage Fansub posted:

In Future Quest you can tell Parker left JL United too soon. He's still using the mysterious space and time warping anomalies concept.

Also, it's weird that they ended American Alien on a Lobo fight..

but who's complaining.

Oh Lobo went back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Was American Alien foreshadowing Doomsday just to gently caress with us? Or did I imagine that?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh Lobo went back to normal.

Considering that's an alternate universe, not really.

He was also somehow even more of a callous, uncaring jerk than Lobo normally is (was).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

I've been out of comics for a few years now. Superman has a kid? jfc

Is Damian Wayne still as cool as he was before he died? Looks like he's plastered all over the place now since he's in TT and that other team-up book with Supermans kid. Makes me think he probably sucks now. The psychopathic Damian was best.

Well, the new comics haven't come out, but 'Batman and Robin' and his solo Robin series were great.

Dad Superman is the Superman from before the New 52 reboot. There was an event that brought parts of different DC eras together and him, Lois and the kid they had during it ported over and have been living in secret in the N52 the whole time.

The current miniseries 'Lois and Clark' is about them, and he'll take over as Superman for Rebirth.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Harley Quinn first comic appearance will be reprinted (with a new cover by Jonboy Meyers) as an exclusive for Megacon

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/look-dc-and-megacon-bring-back-harley-quinns-first-comic-with-a-modern-variant-twist

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, the new comics haven't come out, but 'Batman and Robin' and his solo Robin series were great.

Dad Superman is the Superman from before the New 52 reboot. There was an event that brought parts of different DC eras together and him, Lois and the kid they had during it ported over and have been living in secret in the N52 the whole time.

The current miniseries 'Lois and Clark' is about them, and he'll take over as Superman for Rebirth.

I haven't really followed the dad Superman series but have they gone into it all about how insanely hosed up it must be for everyone Clark and Lois knows to be dead? Like Lois' entire family is dead, Clark's parents are dead, their adopted son Chris is dead, Jimmy Olsen is dead, Perry White is dead, ect, ect, and they're all replaced by similar-but-different versions.It seems like that must be insanely depressing that they can't actually reference anyone they ever knew without being reminded that they all got effectively murdered by Barry Allen.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

I haven't really followed the dad Superman series but have they gone into it all about how insanely hosed up it must be for everyone Clark and Lois knows to be dead? Like Lois' entire family is dead, Clark's parents are dead, their adopted son Chris is dead, Jimmy Olsen is dead, Perry White is dead, ect, ect, and they're all replaced by similar-but-different versions.It seems like that must be insanely depressing that they can't actually reference anyone they ever knew without being reminded that they all got effectively murdered by Barry Allen.

Nope. The closest Jurgens came to adress that issue was in two pages back in issue three were Superdad almost blew his cover helping Bruce because he felt lonely.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

gninjagnome posted:

Jim lee is saying on his facebook page that "The nooks and angles are meant to evoke the Superman "S", the Wonder Woman "WW" emblem and the Bat logo"

Not seeing it at all.

Look at the upper right of the C and compare to the upper right of the Superman S. The upper left of the D looks like the wing on the Batman logo. Inside the D and C corners are triangles that look like the points on Wonder Woman's.

I totally believe it is real and intentional because of how poo poo and muddled it is. You just know they told an intern to rewrite DC so it looked like their logos and that is what they got.

DC is just loving awful.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Lois is burying those feelings into raising Chris and in her solo reporting work -- she specifically said so long as she has Jon and Clark she'll be able to push on. Superman feels uneasy in this world because of how edgy it is or whatever and has been doing behind the scenes superhero work.

I'd say he doesn't see his universe as dead and this is just another universe they got stranded on, but he's outright said his world died so that's not really the case. I guess he's seen it happen a few times so it might be a case of "welp, it'll probably fix itself eventually." There's not much he can do about it, he doesn't even know about Flashpoint or why it happened.

Heathen posted:

Look at the upper right of the C and compare to the upper right of the Superman S. The upper left of the D looks like the wing on the Batman logo. Inside the D and C corners are triangles that look like the points on Wonder Woman's.

I totally believe it is real and intentional because of how poo poo and muddled it is. You just know they told an intern to rewrite DC so it looked like their logos and that is what they got.

DC is just loving awful.

It was actually a very successful design consultancy called Pentagram.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

At the end of Convergence, Clark flew into the original Crisis to allow his world and every other continuity to live on in an infinite multiverse. What that even really means is unclear cause Convergence was a pile of nonsense, but that's the implication.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Teenage Fansub posted:

At the end of Convergence, Clark flew into the original Crisis to allow his world and every other continuity to live on in an infinite multiverse. What that even really means is unclear cause Convergence was a pile of nonsense, but that's the implication.

The actual pages in that issue very clearly showed the Convergence worlds fading away to be replaced by their Multiversity counterparts.

DC editorial being what it is, the current state of things is much less clear.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Future Quest feels like Parker's JLU but with different characters. I hope that he has more free range to tell the story he wants to tell now. Also Shaner is awesome and the book was fun.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

The actual pages in that issue very clearly showed the Convergence worlds fading away to be replaced by their Multiversity counterparts.

DC editorial being what it is, the current state of things is much less clear.

I think it's still implied that there's space in the infinite multiverse for a pre-Flashpoint world to exist that it's Metropolis can return to and divert from it's crisis. I mean, if preventing COIE and morphing to modern day is the only thing, then that wouldn't be possible and would go against the point of the whole "We can now use everything from anywhere" messaging.
Again, vague nonsense. It probably would've served them better to make it even more vague and simplified like the end of Secret Wars where the Richards family is just dreaming universes back.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 19, 2016

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Also: buried at the end of an article largely about his new films role, but it sounds like Johns may not be writing any of the ongoing Rebirth books. At least, not anymore.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/05/geoff-johns-dc-films.html

quote:

That said, he’s currently taking a break from writing comics for a while. He penned a status-quo-altering one-shot issue called DC Universe: Rebirth, which comes out in a week and was the topic of conversation at today’s journalist gathering — but after that his hands will be too full. Whatever he does next, it’ll be rooted in a belief that DC needs to understand the deep-seated warmth and love that people feel toward its pantheon. “There’s a lot of emotional underpinning of the characters and the stories," he said. "It's not that people take it for granted. They’re just not as aware of it. But when it’s not there, you really feel that emptiness.”

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think it's still implied that there's space in the infinite multiverse for a pre-Flashpoint world to exist that it's Metropolis can return to and divert from it's crisis. I mean, if preventing COIE and morphing to modern day is the only thing, then that wouldn't be possible and would go against the point of the whole "We can now use everything from anywhere" messaging.
Again, vague nonsense. It probably would've served them better to make it even more vague and simplified like the end of Secret Wars where the Richards family is just dreaming universes back.

There wasn't "we can use anywhere from everything" messaging in the issue itself, IIRC; that was DC editorial subsequently muddying the waters in interviews. The actual spread shows the Multiversity worlds in full color, with characters from the most analogous Convergence worlds hovering above them like ghosts. "Each world has evolved, but they all still exist."

Of course, this is all pointless, but still.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 19, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Legend of Wonder Woman Volume 2 confirmed

gently caress yeaas.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Between this and Johns not writing any of the new DC books this is a good day.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Okay, hate to drag out the new logo talk even more, but I figured it's possible they could use the new logo in a way that better pays tribute to the old '76 bullet logo in a tasteful and unobtrusive way. So I created a quick mock up of what I theorized,

It isn't great, and I'm certainly not a graphic designer, but it conveys what I was thinking.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Boy, Mikel Janín's Poser models really show through on that Action Comics cover. Yuck.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dad Superman's entire narrative has been that his world died and there's nothing to go back to.

Obviously it's comics and saying anything is permanent is daft, but the only comic that's even touching on the issue is saying there's no more Pre-Flashpoint Earth.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Dad Superman's entire narrative has been that his world died and there's nothing to go back to.

Obviously it's comics and saying anything is permanent is daft, but the only comic that's even touching on the issue is saying there's no more Pre-Flashpoint Earth.

I know Clark said in his first issue "At the time we didn't know we'd lost a world," but in the final issue of Convergence there's a whole group of pre-Flashpoint heroes in front of Braniac, who he returns, leaving only L+C, Paralax, COIE Supergirl and Flash and the E2ers.

Maybe they convinced their Barry Allen not to go save his mom and Dick Grayson Batman's gonna warp in and go "Hey Superman. Everyone's cool back home. It's all good. Hey is that Nightwing me over there? I'mma go team up with him and paralyzed leg E2 Batman me for a bit. Later."

e: Wikipedia concludes "The old worlds of the classic Multiverse live on in both their original versions and the modernized forms depicted in The Multiversity. All worlds and timelines now exist." with a link to a Jeff King interview, but that's enough looking back at dumb old Convergence for me for today!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 19, 2016

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

I know Clark said in his first issue "At the time we didn't know we'd lost a world," but in the final issue of Convergence there's a whole group of pre-Flashpoint heroes in front of Braniac, who he returns, leaving only L+C, Paralax, COIE Supergirl and Flash and the E2ers.

Maybe they convinced their Barry Allen not to go save his mom and Dick Grayson Batman's gonna warp in and go "Hey Superman. Everyone's cool back home. It's all good. Hey is that Nightwing me over there? I'mma go team up with him and paralyzed leg E2 Batman me for a bit. Later."

e: Wikipedia concludes "The old worlds of the classic Multiverse live on in both their original versions and the modernized forms depicted in The Multiversity. All worlds and timelines now exist." with a link to a Jeff King interview, but that's enough looking back at dumb old Convergence for me for today!

The darkest parts of my mind want like a two issue arc of Superdad going after history's greatest monster Barry Allen yelling at him to leave the time traveling to Rip Hunter, and The Legion. Followed in a huge twist instead of ripping his arms off he rips his legs off. Launching into a new series for Barry in being the fastest Oracle alive. :v:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Okay, hate to drag out the new logo talk even more, but I figured it's possible they could use the new logo in a way that better pays tribute to the old '76 bullet logo in a tasteful and unobtrusive way. So I created a quick mock up of what I theorized,

It isn't great, and I'm certainly not a graphic designer, but it conveys what I was thinking.

It looks 100x better tilted, especially small or at a distance.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Jiro posted:

The darkest parts of my mind want like a two issue arc of Superdad going after history's greatest monster Barry Allen yelling at him to leave the time traveling to Rip Hunter, and The Legion. Followed in a huge twist instead of ripping his arms off he rips his legs off. Launching into a new series for Barry in being the fastest Oracle alive. :v:

You should go read the original Flashpoint. It's basically about if Barry Allen was the only superhero but also he ended up being crippled so only had his super speed thinking to help humanity. Fastest Oracle Alive indeed.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
DC's REBIRTH Is 'Back To Basics' & 'Almost A Reset' According To DIDIO & LEE

Some bits of note

quote:

Newsarama: Dan and Jim, with Rebirth being such a status quo-changing event, are you seeing this as something the “New 52” needs to move on? One of the tag lines was that "something's missing" from the “New 52.” Was that the way the “New 52” felt, and what brought about Rebirth?

Jim Lee: I think as exciting as the “New 52” was, it didn't address certain elements that were very unique and identifiably DC. And I think over the years, as we moved the “New 52” forward, we realized we were missing an opportunity by overlooking things like legacy and generations and the things that were hallmarks of the DC Universe.

So what that allows us to do is talk again about, was there a Justice Society?

Talk again about a multi-generation of heroes and sidekicks.

And in a way, this was all there before Flashpoint, before the “New 52.”

Geoff came up with this brilliant story that basically allows us to seat the “New 52” within the continuity that preceded it.

So it really synchronizes and harmonizes pre-52 with “New 52” continuity, I think in an elegant way that allows, I think, long-time fans to have their cake and eat it too, and all the new fans that we got through the “New 52” to keep up with the fact that the universe is continuing to grow and evolve and is exciting and new.

Dan DiDio: You know, as an overarching plan, it really was about trying to find ways to align all the storytelling, to bring it all in to some sort of harmony.

It felt like we had these cold starts and stops in the DC Universe, but it's all one, continuous universe moving forward.

---

DiDio: We're putting out, I believe, just as many or slightly less Batman product, with the double ships. What we did was eliminate some of the lower ranked titles, and we're trying to incorporate those ideas into the main books themselves, because we feel that makes the main books stronger, Fatigue only occurs if the stories aren't good.

We're hoping the quality of the material carries the day, moving all these series forward.

Lee: Right. There's like 17 twice-monthlies and 14 monthlies, so the actual title count is less than the “New 52.”

DiDio: Yep.

And one last thing also, Vaneta, is that we do have breaks in our schedule, where we'll decide whether or not a double-ship is working. And you might see some of these things slow down to monthly status at a later date. And we're going to be examining that on a regular basis. We're not going to keep book double-shipping if we don't think the demand is there.

Nrama: Another approach you're taking is spreading out the #1 issues over the summer, as opposed to the sudden release of everything at once. I know that Marvel tends to relaunch and have events that signal change quite frequently, particularly over the last five years while you guys kind of ran with the “New 52” and then, to a smaller degree, with “DC You.” Now that you're having a status quo-altering event that goes over a few months, do you feel like the market needs that more often? Or do you think you're sticking with this another 52 issues?

Lee: I think there's a danger of diminishing returns when one goes back to the well too often. The plan is not to do that.

We want to create sustainable comics.

That's why we brought in Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns to work with all the individual writers and editors on their books, really focusing on these characters, deconstructing them down to their core DNA and building out story arcs based on that DNA, which really focusing on why these characters are special and unique within the DC Universe.

And even the variant covers, we're only using specialty variants with comic book shops and variant covers in judicious ways. We're not going to have a gazillion SKUs across the entire line. We find that, at that point, why publish a story inside at all, if you're just going to build a business based on variant covers.

We're still using variant covers, but we're actually using one variant cover artist for each book. They sort of get tenure, as it were. And they're going to be responsible for being the alternate cover artist on that book. And we're only doing it on our top-selling books.

We realize we get an initial bump by doing first issues, but we have a long-term game plan, and everything we're doing is about retaining customers and creating demand, getting in the stores every week. And you only do that, ultimately, with great stories. That's the bottom line.

---

Nrama: Wow, that's probably the biggest change though, with Rebirth. DC doesn't have a Geoff Johns book. I just realized it.

DiDio: Oh we realized it beforehand!

Nrama: But they're all sort of infused with Geoff Johns I guess.

Lee: Yeah he meets with the editors once a week, and we brought in writers that he sat down with for, you know, four to six hours over days, with editors and writers. And he has experience working in writers rooms, and that's very much the approach he takes with it.

So his influence is felt across the entire line. And that is a trade-off. But at the same time, I think we have some awesome stories that speak to what makes these characters so unique and exciting.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So it's not a reboot...but it's a reboot.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

quote:

Nrama: But they're all sort of infused with Geoff Johns I guess.

Gross!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I hope some of the comics are good but I stopped paying attention to anything Dan DiDio and Jim Lee say a while ago. I would prefer them away from DC altogether.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Nah, it's fairly clear from the solicitations that it's mostly a continuation of New 52 continuity, not a re-reboot or unreboot. It's much less clear how many caveats are contained in that "mostly," but we'll find out next week, I guess.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm excited. It can't possibly be worse than it is now. :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Norns posted:

Look at this poor, naive little soul.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hey, I got Tom King Batman. That's something at least.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's an editorial reboot but not a narrative continuity reboot.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Norns posted:

Hey, I got Tom King Batman. That's something at least.

Never underestimate DC's ability to turn what should be a wonderful thing into a monkey's paw curse.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Norns posted:

By now the narrative is that DC hasn't done anything good since the 90's, or early 2000's or whenever Didio wasn't around, or whenever Johns didn't write anything, or something like that. Just accept it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Madkal posted:

By now the narrative is that DC hasn't done anything good since the 90's, or early 2000's or whenever Didio wasn't around, or whenever Johns didn't write anything, or something like that. Just accept it.

Now now. It''s when Identify Crisis was published. That's the turning point.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Two Tone Shoes posted:

You should go read the original Flashpoint. It's basically about if Barry Allen was the only superhero but also he ended up being crippled so only had his super speed thinking to help humanity. Fastest Oracle Alive indeed.

There are two Flashpoints? Basically what I was getting at is Johns made me absolutely hate Barry and this whole bullshit of the most recent Flashpoint SHOULD have stayed as a Flash arc and not some half assed event that they've been trying to slowly undo since it happened.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Jiro posted:

There are two Flashpoints? Basically what I was getting at is Johns made me absolutely hate Barry and this whole bullshit of the most recent Flashpoint SHOULD have stayed as a Flash arc and not some half assed event that they've been trying to slowly undo since it happened.

Yep, the original Flashpoint was an elseworld story in the 90s. Written by McGreal if you're interested.

And yes, Johns' Flashpoint was supposed to be closer to Chain Lightning than Crisis, but editorial hijacked it to usher in a reboot because they didn't have anything to setup and it was a financial emergency.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Norns posted:

Yes what a horrible era we've been living in recently. I know I buy every issue of American Alien, Martian Manhunter, Midnighter, Omega Men, Grayson, Batman, Lois and Clark, Gotham Academy, Darkseid War, Batgirl, Black Canary, Robin, Doctor Fate, Batman/TMNT, Hellblazer (and probably a couple more fine comics I enjoy but can't recall ATM) and just puke and puke at the awfulness.
I got three pages into Future Quest and had to throw it right in the garbage.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 19, 2016

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

A bunch of those aren't particularly good so that's not saying much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

A bunch of those aren't particularly good

They aren't? Oops. My mistake.