Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slammy posted:

Whoops Sisters

Good art, IMO, but not sure it's caught on here.
Yeah, it's just not very interesting, I-

wait what posted:

I may stick with it until the strip where the sisters kill a child. You don't see that often in The New Yorker.
:staredog: okay at least do that

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (June 9, 1943)

... What are they talking about with painting headlights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Zereth posted:

... What are they talking about with painting headlights?

Given the strips are from 1943, I assume it's something to do with potential air raids. Minimize lights and you make it harder for enemy bombers to find the city at night.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SomeMathGuy posted:

Given the strips are from 1943, I assume it's something to do with potential air raids. Minimize lights and you make it harder for enemy bombers to find the city at night.

Likewise harder for planes to navigate based on traffic. Ironically a measure like this is likely to have been far more lethal than what it was meant to counter, given that the Japanese only managed to start up some bush fires in Oregon but I can guarantee people died due to dimmed lights.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Howard Beale posted:

Whoa! Polly Ballew is a definite Bob & Ray shout-out if ever there was one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o64yX58_wJg

Not enough foundries cast ingots with the housewife in mind these days.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

SomeMathGuy posted:

Surely there was never a real threat of bombing raids on the US mainland? It was common in Britain during WWII, though, because as you say air navigation was in its infancy, and no building was allowed to display a light, and any vehicle light had to be shaded to reduce illumination to a sliver. One of my uncles was in the army during WWII, and I remember him saying that due to the blackout, shrouded headlights, and all the road signs being removed, whenever his unit moved anywhere by road they would get lost nine times out of ten.

Ah, apparently apart from coastal areas the blackout in the US was mostly for psychological effect.

Stuccojeff
May 2, 2009

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Could someone clear up a question for me? Is Wahoo Terminal supposed to be Brooke's earlier comic before 9 Chickweed Lane and he's redrawing it?

I ask because the fawning pathetic dog and the horrifically drawn cat could be considered a perfect parody of his "Men become slobbering fools around women" comics and it would be uncharacteristically aware of him to draw such a funny wink at the audience.

I mean, he still thinks that he's drawing beautiful women, right?

He still thinks that his recurring joke that women need only hint that they have a body under their clothes is enough to cause any man to nearly explode into a sexual frenzy, right?

It would be weird if he was suddenly in on the joke.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Slammy posted:

Whoops Sisters

Good art, IMO, but not sure it's caught on here. I may stick with it until the strip where the sisters kill a child. You don't see that often in The New Yorker.

Well, I'm pretty sure there was one posted a little bit ago where they kidnapped some random kid. It's certainly interesting, but if you do decide to drop it, yeah, wait until at least that one because holy poo poo.

I like a lot of the stuff you post though. Rarebit Fiend is one that I tend to skip over, not because I don't like it but because it really need to be opened in another tab and zoomed in on to appreciate. Good Time Guy I skip because it's pretty wordy, but when I do read it I like it. I'm really liking the various flapper comics/Gladys Parker comics though, as well as (of course) Everett True, Guess If They Are Married, And He Did and Mr. Tweedy. I don't always read Feiffer, but I do like it when I do. loving scathing. And of course, never stop Wee Pals.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set looks for bargains.

Working Daze gives me a headache.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix love the creamy middles.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Mastermind posted:

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Doonesbury panel seems apt. I like Doonesbury so it's not meant as a burn.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (May 21, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Five (November 15-17, 1954)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts: Year Five (November 15-17, 1954)

So that's where Time Cube from.

e: I just found out that the Time Cube site gone.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 19, 2016

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Hobnob posted:

Surely there was never a real threat of bombing raids on the US mainland? It was common in Britain during WWII, though, because as you say air navigation was in its infancy, and no building was allowed to display a light, and any vehicle light had to be shaded to reduce illumination to a sliver. One of my uncles was in the army during WWII, and I remember him saying that due to the blackout, shrouded headlights, and all the road signs being removed, whenever his unit moved anywhere by road they would get lost nine times out of ten.

Ah, apparently apart from coastal areas the blackout in the US was mostly for psychological effect.

Thousands of Japanese balloon-borne bombs were lofted into the US and Canada. A lot of them are still out there somewhere.

Of course blackouts woudn't have helped the US or Canada avoid those.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Okay, I'm interested to see where the Mary Worth storyline is going. I kind of feel like they're going for "It's totally possible for an older man and a younger woman to just be friends without attraction, and Dawn's classmates are wrong to assume things," but there's also still the possibility of "Teacher is trying to start a romantic relationship with her and she gets upset" and/or "Dawn realizes that she should have listened to Mary and done things with her classmates instead of a teacher."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Darthemed posted:

I seriously want a week of just this. Hell, a month.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Darthemed posted:

I seriously want a week of just this. Hell, a month.

Start posting Fred Basset. That'd get you most of the way there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

treasureplane posted:

Start posting Fred Basset. That'd get you most of the way there.

Maybe if you removed Fred's thought balloons.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

gently caress this comic and it's sassy children. Any field trip in grade school was great and exciting because you got to leave the classroom. We went to the local historical thing in my area in the 3rd grade and it was great and amazing and I still remember it to this day. :argh:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 20-21, 1929)

Peanuts (May 22, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Cancershaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (April 15-16, 1929)

Thimble Theater (December 6, 1929)

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Fingerpori

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

:what:

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Candorville

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

http://penultimate-panel.blogspot.com/

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Good second panel. All those people are just napping instead of the horrific destruction it looks like, but it's still a good panel.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (April 26, 1951)

Barnaby (October 1, 1942)

Nancy (June 10, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (February 21, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (March 22, 1923)

Lil' Abner (November 5, 1936)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Wait, Is that Thing even a Dog Comix?

Pooch Café

Hudson's owner is the only character in the strip who realizes how insane this all is, he's like the strip's own Frank Grimes. It's a shame he's going to die.

Ballard Street

That dog is built almost exactly like a cow.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I like Tina's Groove. It's cute and clever enough most of the time. Please keep posting :)

Oh and Ballard St. is my jam, 100%.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Ok, the person with minutes of experience in running a garment factory is worried that her new veteran employees won't be able to handle this job?

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Needs a lemon-yellow pimpsuit.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Oh come on at least make it resemble something that someone would actually use for a tarot deck. How is it possible that this strip continually tops itself in awfulness? This one and 9CL are both like that.

F Minus ruins a joke to make a joke

Mary Worth

I am looking forward to seeing the new Sunday artist draw Mary.

Rex Morgan MD

I actually thought this might be going this way.

Edit: By that I mean the skunk, not a stoned Sarah.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

I thought he left the hospital. Oh well.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I am looking forward to seeing the new Sunday artist draw Mary.
Oh Christ this is going to end with Mary coming into the class and lecturing everyone that a professor and his first-year student can be friends without there being anything else going on, isn't it?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I apoligize for nitpicking, but the original's "some hippie has pushed over a tomb stone" is such a perfect punchline, in Finnish at least, that it deserves to be quoted in verbatim! :v:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Needs a lemon-yellow pimpsuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWNQTqMkezc

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh Christ this is going to end with Mary coming into the class and lecturing everyone that a professor and his first-year student can be friends without there being anything else going on, isn't it?

I hope so. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Gasoline Alley

Heavenly Nostrils

Big Nate – developing a cosplay fetish at an early age.

Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot – Be glad that this hasn’t been retroactively colorized. Given the competence of the daily colorists we would expect the sweatshirt to be forest green.

Cul de Sac

• Locked thread