Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The best part of new Doom Guy is his utter contempt for the plot of Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

LGR released his review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGkpqhD431c

fishmech posted:

God, the 32X Doom soundtrack is awful.

Yeah, and it's annoying when you know it could sound like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h94w624s0F4

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

laserghost posted:

That mod is pretty good except those runes which tend to glitch you in the wall or the ceiling.
Player Morphs that are larger than the player that is transforming into them are a one-way trip to glitching into the geometry, because ZDoom makes absolutely no attempt to stop you from "growing into" the wall or ceiling. This is why the Reelism tank is the same physical width and length as plain ol' Doomguy.

fishmech posted:

God, the 32X Doom soundtrack is awful.
32X Doom uses a generic Sega of America sound driver called GEMS, which was used in so many games with varying levels of quality. 32X Doom was reportedly super-rushed to the point of Carmack having to camp out at Sega of America's Redwood City HQ to get it done in time, I guess the music was but one victim of that death-rush.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The thing to keep in mind with GEMS is that it was specifically coded to make porting sound and music from Sega's own mid-late 80s arcade systems very easy, as opposed to make it easy to handle more modern sound.

Sega just expected that other developers would build their own sound/music engines with GEMS as more of a reference point.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The best part of new Doom Guy is his utter contempt for the plot of Doom.

He just oozes character without saying a word. Its loving superb.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Dude, this is awful. Anyone that could watch four hours of this, in one sitting or not, is insane.

Anyone who hasn't done so is a foppish dandy!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Volition put their Doom 2 multiplayer stream online, it's 1 hour and 35 minutes of glorious mayhem. Doom deathmatch is absolutely ridiculous with 40+ people, especially on maps designed for like 8 players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dBRjwzx76I

E: The third map they play has way too few spawn points, so they're basically just spewing telefragged corpses constantly and it's down to pure luck whether you actually get to spawn or just die instantly. It's ridiculous.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 18, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I actually have never played deathmatches in Doom. My only multiplayer experience was with co-op play.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Mak0rz posted:

I actually have never played deathmatches in Doom. My only multiplayer experience was with co-op play.

Same. Ah the days of setting up a LAN to play with respawning enemies to keep me and my best friend on our toes. :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, why haven't we set up some sort of goon Doom tournament? There'd be brackets!

EDIT: Holy poo poo, ChipCheezum works for Volition? NICE! What does he do?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 18, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

laserghost posted:

Yeah, and it's annoying when you know it could sound like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h94w624s0F4
Or this!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

EDIT: Holy poo poo, ChipCheezum works for Volition? NICE! What does he do?
"Stream Czar", if I recall correctly. Every Thursday, he does a stream like this.

I believe this Thursday's is the new Homefront, though - which is apparently a trash fire.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

E: The third map they play has way too few spawn points, so they're basically just spewing telefragged corpses constantly and it's down to pure luck whether you actually get to spawn or just die instantly. It's ridiculous.

Ah, the experience that hardcore 50-man Shipment CoD4 servers were trying to replicate.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I remember the SA co-op Doom playthrough back on its 18th birthday was like that. We had about 13 players trying to play through the original 4 episodes, and the first 1-2 minutes of each level was just a non-stop telefrag explosion. I think it was archived on Youtube but I haven't been able to find it since :(

e: ha, found it

0 rows returned posted:

So my uploads of the skulltag party thing the other night finally finished, well mostly I guess. Like it says in the description I didn't get the entire thing because I didn't start recording until a bunch of people showed up, and then the recording got cut off because I set it to the wrong drive. But that's how it goes.

Episode 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuY6BNQFTNQ

Episodes 2 & 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iAzc_1nO-0

Oh yeah and

Convex fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 18, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is Wolfendoom: Blade of Agony as good as it looks? I'll wait until it's finished regardless, but it seems really impressive.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shadow Hog posted:

"Stream Czar", if I recall correctly. Every Thursday, he does a stream like this.

I think he does all kinds of other video editing as well, not just streams.

Watching his LPs and stuff, it's obvious that he's quite talented at it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mordja posted:

Is Wolfendoom: Blade of Agony as good as it looks? I'll wait until it's finished regardless, but it seems really impressive.

Still being tuned - there were ammo/weapon availability issues in the first release - but it feels like a good RTCW-era Wolfenstein game with a GZDoom spin.

KozmoNaut posted:

I think he does all kinds of other video editing as well, not just streams.

Watching his LPs and stuff, it's obvious that he's quite talented at it.

Yeah, he's video editor/community manager/stream guy. Jack of various trades, and a large part of the public face of the company now. He's also the one that dug up that long-post Saints Row PSP game from a back room, dumped it, shared it and streamed it along with some of the original devs on call.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mordja posted:

Last I played it, it was painfully slow with linear "cinematic" levels. Pass.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
So I've been playing the new doom, and most of the nods and callbacks have made me smile, but this one?

Dead Simple in Doom 2. "Dead Simple" (The Necropolis) in Doom 2016 :haw:

You guys. This game is cool and good. :allears:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Reading through the earlier posts in this thread and peoples predictions for Doom 4 is kind of amusing. That was back when Carmack was still with id software and the game was to be set on Earth and run at 30 frames per second instead of 60.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Thyrork posted:

You guys. This game is cool and good. :allears:

I laughed the moment I walked into that room and Mancubi spawned on the pillars. It's just a pity they didn't go all the way into phase 2 of that battle, but it was a clever architectural nod.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

laserghost posted:

If happiness is a warm gun, then what love is?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

fishmech posted:

You'll notice how the PSX version (which is nearly identical to the Jaguar/Saturn/GBA version) is rather simplified, while the SNES version ends up being much closer to the original PC layout.

Of course, the SNES port was on an entirely different engine with other sacrifices, like no transparent wall textures and solid-color floors and ceilings.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Dominic White posted:

I laughed the moment I walked into that room and Mancubi spawned on the pillars. It's just a pity they didn't go all the way into phase 2 of that battle, but it was a clever architectural nod.
I would've loved for a rearranged version of Shawn's Got The Shotgun to start playing when you walked into that room.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Keiya posted:

Of course, the SNES port was on an entirely different engine with other sacrifices, like no transparent wall textures and solid-color floors and ceilings.

Yeah but the PlayStation/Saturn/GBA could have handled the SNES map design with their larger selection of textures. We can see this because in the Doom II part of Saturn/PSX Doom, the detail level jumps drastically, to about the map detail level of the SNES port for original Doom levels.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They should seriously sell the little Doomguy toys.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Reading through the earlier posts in this thread and peoples predictions for Doom 4 is kind of amusing. That was back when Carmack was still with id software and the game was to be set on Earth and run at 30 frames per second instead of 60.
IF it ran at 30 I could actually play it. Is there anyone here running it on AMD? Did you have to do some voodoo?

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

eSporks posted:

IF it ran at 30 I could actually play it. Is there anyone here running it on AMD? Did you have to do some voodoo?

Works just fine for me on an R9 290. Didn't have to do anything, only had 1 CTD that updating my drivers solved.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I decided that I'm going to finish Quake. I'm nearly done, I'm on Azure Agony. gently caress the Pain Maze and Azure Agony. Other than that I'm still really fond of Quake. Although I did kinda skip past Hell's Atrium because I was able to make the jump across that lava pit.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

catlord posted:

I decided that I'm going to finish Quake. I'm nearly done, I'm on Azure Agony. gently caress the Pain Maze and Azure Agony. Other than that I'm still really fond of Quake. Although I did kinda skip past Hell's Atrium because I was able to make the jump across that lava pit.

Check out Scourge of Armagon too, it's awesome.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

A Quake expansion pack taught me the meaning of the word "Dissolution" and I've been shoehorning it into daily conversation ever since.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ok, just finished Quake. Liked it a lot.

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm still pissed that the Ultimate Quake collection didn't have any of the expansions. There are even videos on the discs about the behind the scenes stuff, and you can see them playing the expansions, but they're nowhere to be found. "Ultimate" my rear end. I would quite like to play the expansions, anyway, but I haven't gotten around to picking them up yet.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

I'm still pissed that the Ultimate Quake collection didn't have any of the expansions. There are even videos on the discs about the behind the scenes stuff, and you can see them playing the expansions, but they're nowhere to be found. "Ultimate" my rear end. I would quite like to play the expansions, anyway, but I haven't gotten around to picking them up yet.
They're both five bucks on Steam (or a tenner for everything on GOG), but if I were a betting man I'd say there'll be a sale on the series in a month or so to mark Quake 1's 20th birthday.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

They succeeded in making finding the BFG a properly religious experience in the new doom

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So question on Doom Builder shenanigans. Could I use the Doom64.WAD generated for the game as a sort-of resource to play in GZDoom and the like? Or is that WAD explicitly made to be used in the things it came with?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

They're both five bucks on Steam (or a tenner for everything on GOG), but if I were a betting man I'd say there'll be a sale on the series in a month or so to mark Quake 1's 20th birthday.

If not specifically for Quake's birthday, then the upcoming Summer Steam sale will undoubtedly have them on sale for ~75% off (or $1.75 a piece, basically).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

widespread posted:

So question on Doom Builder shenanigans. Could I use the Doom64.WAD generated for the game as a sort-of resource to play in GZDoom and the like? Or is that WAD explicitly made to be used in the things it came with?

Related question: is there a remake wad of Doom 64's maps made with Doom 2 assets?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

widespread posted:

You can't use doom64.wad in GZDoom as-is, but you can export the assets to PNGs using SLADE3 and throw 'em into a WAD or PK3 as you so desire.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

Related question: is there a remake wad of Doom 64's maps made with Doom 2 assets?
There was this, but I believe it died off.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

The Kins posted:

You can't use doom64.wad in GZDoom as-is, but you can export the assets to PNGs using SLADE3 and throw 'em into a WAD or PK3 as you so desire.

Oh. I meant like, "a resource for DB to use when I make a map". Alternatively, I could just use the PSXDoom.WAD to fulfill the atmospheric part at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

widespread posted:

Oh. I meant like, "a resource for DB to use when I make a map". Alternatively, I could just use the PSXDoom.WAD to fulfill the atmospheric part at least.
Yeah, that's what I mean. Whack the texture PNGs into a WAD between TX_START/TX_END lumps, or into a PK3 in a "textures" folder, and you can load them as a resource in GZDoom Builder.