Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I've got an HTC One M8 on verizon and somehow in the transition to Marshmallow a few months ago, HTC Service Pack got all hosed up. Lock screen motion gestures and HTC weather app stuff stopped working. I get intermittent "HTC Service Pack has stopped" toasts (always in pairs,) and battery has been draining noticeably faster since. I've tried a factory reset but it fixed nothing. Almost pulled the trigger on a $150 Moto X 2nd gen the other day but a combination of factors stopped me. Anyone know anything about this issue and if it can be fixed? Is my next step just taking things to the root thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I keep thinking I should just switch to WhatsApp, but I held out with Hangouts, waiting for a native replacement. Now finally Google comes out with...Allo. Based merely on the list of features I'm not really enthused, though I guess I don't know what I was hoping for.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Allo doesn't seem bad, it is just....incredibly...I dont even know. Its probably better than messenger. :shrug:

Google keeps trying to come up with a way to fight against iMessage and it has no idea how to do it without the complete control apple has.

For redundancy don't forget RCS will be a thing not too far off, either.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Allo doesn't seem bad, it is just....incredibly...I dont even know. Its probably better than messenger. :shrug:

Google keeps trying to come up with a way to fight against iMessage and it has no idea how to do it without the complete control apple has.

For redundancy don't forget RCS will be a thing not too far off, either.

The way to fight against iMessage is fairly obvious: make an iMessage clone. Unfortunately, Google isn't interested in that because it would prevent Google themselves from accessing that data (in the same way Apple can't access your iMessage data) and if they were to make it so it was useful to Google and they could access your data then no OEM or carrier would stand for it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Night Mode is gone from Preview 3. What is this bullshit Google?

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
It's still there for me.

Also I can confirm that font resize works in all apps so if you have a large screen you don't have the kb taking up half of it :toot:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

Night Mode is gone from Preview 3. What is this bullshit Google?
This is a listed feature in N with developer docs and such so it won't be gone.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

teagone posted:

Boo, no mention of Android apps running on Chrome OS :(

http://9to5google.com/2016/05/18/its-official-android-apps-and-the-play-store-are-coming-to-chrome/

I guess it got cut from the keynote but was announced online. Android apps will run on chromebooks, play store will be there.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stick100 posted:

I guess it got cut from the keynote but was announced online. Android apps will run on chromebooks, play store will be there.
It's expected to be announced in the Chrome session at 11:00 (local) today.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I would like to come back from the iPhone (for various reasons, Siri is garbage, etc) but the messaging thing really bugs me. iMessage "just works" (most of the time) and regular old SMS/MMS sucks. COME ON GOOGLE.

Diplomatic Immunity
Apr 12, 2006
The King

seiferguy posted:

Did you get the standard size 2800mAh one or one of the extended packs?

Standard size. Almost feel like they gave a better charge than the original battery, but that's more subjective then objective.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I have a problem with browsing a particular website showing me a crippled version for mobile devices. I want to view the full desktop version so I originally tried changing user agent which didn't work. This site is one of those wonderful "responsive designs" that gives you something completely different based on screen resolution. And my phone apparently lies about pixels so it can purposely get the half assed versions of websites. I normally would use the chrome browser, but couldn't configure it to give me the desktop site properly. So I found some obscure about:config setting in Firefox a while ago, and I don't remember the name, but it let me disable this "feature" of reporting 320x200 res or whatever poo poo it does. This gets me the full version of the site but really annoyingly disables pinch zoom. Is there a browser or config setting combo that works?

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 19, 2016

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I would like to come back from the iPhone (for various reasons, Siri is garbage, etc) but the messaging thing really bugs me. iMessage "just works" (most of the time) and regular old SMS/MMS sucks. COME ON GOOGLE.

And I want to go to iPhone for various reasons, but that Google Assist looks good.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

It's looking as though Allo will take over as the SMS app after their push for Hangouts to be your SMS app failed hilariously, dynamically using the best of whichever is available for you. Allo should be a pretty good 'just works' solution, it's just silly they didn't integrate hangouts into it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The problem I've had with getting people to use Hangouts is that people I text all use Samsung's default SMS app and have no desire to switch to a different app. Or they're already using Facebook Messenger and don't care about Hangouts. I suspect this will continue with Allo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, the way this works using phone numbers as your ID means it should be fairly seamless to use the one Allo app as the central point for either old SMS or new Allo, with the extra features only visible between two who've both switched and messages being exchanged by SMS otherwise. Being able to drop-in without actually having to register or change contact lists or lose history or anything makes all the difference for switching people over, I think.

Also, google will probably pay samsung to switch to allo as the default app.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 19, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

MikeJF posted:

Being able to drop-in without actually having to register or change contact lists or lose history or anything makes all the difference for switching people over, I think.

I don't think it will. "But I already am using an app to text, so why should I use a different one?" That's basically the same way Hangouts works, where you switch over and it brings your SMS with and as long as you have someone's email in your contact, it's seamless, but getting someone to open the app in the first place is a sticking point.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Any recommendation for good power banks (UK)? Looking for as high a capacity as possible, USB C support would be a bonus but not a deal breaker as I can just use a USB-A-C cable. Are Anker good? Is there a better thread I could be asking this on?

e:

I'm looking at these 2. I'd rather get the bigger one but it says it requires 2A minimum to charge, which is a bit annoying, whereas the other one is OK from 1A upwards.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Compact-20...nker+power+bank

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgraded-C...nker+power+bank - requires 2A

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

E: Yeah, Anker is good.

And then there's me, the rear end in a top hat who managed to get most of his family and friends using Hangouts but now thinks the bright colors and in-app photo UI of Messenger are really cool while the steady green of Hangouts is old hat.

:smith:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Uthor posted:

and as long as you have someone's email in your contact, it's seamless

And that's where you're overestimating people and why hangouts failed as SMS 2.

Unlike that, Allo should just work, right from install.

I think that they might've even chosen not to integrate hangout conversations deliberately so as not to scare people off with confusion over extra conversations and threads when using it as a drop-in replacement for the SMS app. It just needs to be marketable as just a better SMS app, no effort, no weirdness, does just the same, but sometimes with cool pictures.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 19, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

chippy posted:

Any recommendation for good power banks (UK)? Looking for as high a capacity as possible, USB C support would be a bonus but not a deal breaker as I can just use a USB-A-C cable. Are Anker good? Is there a better thread I could be asking this on?

e:

I'm looking at these 2. I'd rather get the bigger one but it says it requires 2A minimum to charge, which is a bit annoying, whereas the other one is OK from 1A upwards.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Compact-20...nker+power+bank

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgraded-C...nker+power+bank - requires 2A

I've got the second one and it works great, but yeah you have to have a powerful charger or it will never work. Still takes almost 24 hrs to charge with my 2.4amp (also anker) charger!

Thing is big

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 19, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But nobody has it installed, which is the problem. Basically what they've built is WhatsApp, it uses your phone number as an ID but it still requires you to use the app. I didn't see any indication at all that it will support sending/receiving SMS messages. And what am I supposed to do with all the people that I communicate with via Hangouts? What possible justification is there for this being a different app to Hangouts? It's just completely insane.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 19, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hangouts SMS is also not seamless when you have a dropdown that allows you to send the message as SMS or hangout.

SMS messages also didn't show up in your online hangout conversation history.

Hangouts SMS is anything but seamless. God help you if you wanted to have a group conversation with some people being on hangouts and some being on SMS.

Honestly though, in the end I don't really care anymore. The only SMS messages I do now are with my parents. Everyone else has transitioned to Hangouts at this point.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I SMS a ton because a shitload of people here use the iPhone therefore imessage.. I've read the market share is skewed compared to the USA, Hangouts is not common.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

SMS messages also didn't show up in your online hangout conversation history.

Google Voice superiority!

(please ignore the fact that it's a neglected product)

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Why the hell are they pushing AI, or neural networks, or whatever buzzword it is, in a messaging client anyway?

...like am I stupid for thinking that's really, really weird and kind of intrusive? 'Beep boop, a picture of a baby was posted. Appropriate response, weighted for previous messages in the stack: [aww look at the cute baby]'. I don't even need to think when talking to anyone anymore! Thanks Google :downs:

It's like they've gone from the unemployable fuckup cousins making up the Google messaging team, to the insufferable 'you know what Youtube needs? An in-app messaging service!' Ideas Guys.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Why? That's something you have to ask? If Google can mimic your responses, then they know enough about you to figure out what you want. They have the perfect marketing profile.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

MikeJF posted:

It's looking as though Allo will take over as the SMS app after their push for Hangouts to be your SMS app failed hilariously, dynamically using the best of whichever is available for you. Allo should be a pretty good 'just works' solution, it's just silly they didn't integrate hangouts into it.
Well Allo is based on phone number instead of an ID, so that makes sense.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Google Voice superiority!

(please ignore the fact that it's a neglected product)

And not available in a ton of countries :negative:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Why? That's something you have to ask? If Google can mimic your responses, then they know enough about you to figure out what you want. They have the perfect marketing profile.

I can only assume Google inhabit some alternate Silicon Valley-like parallel universe, where I talk all day with my fellow twenty-something barista friends and hiking club members about the different brands of lawnmowers and yard equipment we prefer, and the best spots for truffle foraging.

It's just frustrating that, year after year, the entire Google messaging ecosystem is a wasteland of forgotten, half-baked flavour-of-the-month projects (but this time it has neural nets and emoji!!), instead of attaching all that information they ostensibly have about me into some kind of ... nexus .... so that people don't need to think about app platforms or switching or anything.

Yeah, OK, fine, they have my data; I just don't think this is a very good use of it, at all.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

CLAM DOWN posted:

And not available in a ton of countries :negative:

It sucks, yeah. I feel like no matter what, it's a grass is greener on the other side of the fence scenario. I hate being stuck in hangouts for texting on my phone, but I'd definitely miss texting and stuff from my computer.

spincube posted:

Yeah, OK, fine, they have my data; I just don't think this is a very good use of it, at all.

I agree. Canned responses are fine and dandy if I'm driving or something, but I don't need or want suggestions on how to respond when I'm actually looking at my phone.

I fully expect to look back on this post in year or two and laugh about how stupid I sound.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 19, 2016

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Mogomra posted:

I agree. Canned responses are fine and dandy if I'm driving or something, but I don't need or want suggestions on how to respond when I'm actually looking at my phone.

I fully expect to look back on this post in year or two and laugh about how stupid I sound.

I thought the same thing until I got my work email to a place where I could use Inbox with it. So easy for all those "Thanks, I got it!" type of emails. I'm hoping something similar just for the "K", or "Thanks", or "Yep" chat responses.

Based on everything released so for, Allo is just a WhatsApp / Telegram rip-off. Zero sign up, encryption from phone to server (and phone to phone in "Incognito" mode). Looks like pics + Audio messaging is available also. Google's experience with Hangouts is that people didn't like SMS mixed in, so they've abandoned that.

Voice users? You're going to get hosed by this. They've got no idea how to integrate that product and really, I doubt they have any financial reason to do so. I suspect Voice migrates to being a fancy Voicemail system.

Fi users using the integrated Hangouts SMS convergence. Same, you're going to get stranded with the rest of the Hangouts platform while they figure their poo poo out.

I get the impression that Allo is going to compete in the WhatsApp/Telegram space, Messenger is going to be the "Stock SMS" application only, and Hangouts is going to be the "Business Online Messenger" until they figure out how to kill/merge/whatever it in 2 years.

Personally, I migrated to Fi but also migrated to using Messenger instead of Hangouts after they thoroughly poo poo the bed with that product and group messages (MMS). I've got maybe 3 people I consistently use to converse over Hangouts with and its the same 3 people I've had there for a long time.
Then I managed to migrate most of my friends, in the US, to WhatsApp to support our long running group chats. The killer feature was ZERO SIGN UP. I didn't have to walk them through account creation and verification, just install the app, click next a bunch of times, you're done. Allo has this, but is it too little too late?

With converting all my friends to WhatsApp, I doubt I'll be able to sell them on Allo unless there is some baller feature they haven't announced. My friends like the desktop apps that WhatsApp has now. My wife even specifically said she was fed up with new chat apps and wasn't planning on converting again.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
I had no idea there are people who don't use whatsapp (or do use any other messaging app).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've never installed it nor ever seen it installed on anyone else's device.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

AFAICT basically everyone outside the US uses WhatsApp, while hardly anyone inside the US uses it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

AFAICT basically everyone outside the US uses WhatsApp, while hardly anyone inside the US uses it.

bull3964 posted:

I've never installed it nor ever seen it installed on anyone else's device.
I'm gonna just chalk this up to major sampling bias. While the folks I primarily interact with (university students) are likely in a very different group than your social circle and subject to their own sampling bias, I can safely say that third-party messaging applications like WhatsApp, WeChat, Kakao, and GroupMe are ubiquitous around me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

NihilismNow posted:

I had no idea there are people who don't use whatsapp (or do use any other messaging app).

In my fairly large late 20s/early 30s adult friend and work groups, I can count on one hand how many use Whatsapp. It's just not a thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm gonna just chalk this up to major sampling bias. While the folks I primarily interact with (university students) are likely in a very different group than your social circle and subject to their own sampling bias, I can safely say that third-party messaging applications like WhatsApp, WeChat, Kakao, and GroupMe are ubiquitous around me.

I've never even HEARD of the last three.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I've never even HEARD of the last three.
Must be weird not to know any Chinese or Korean people -- at least in the case of WeChat and Kakao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Must be weird not to know any Chinese or Korean people -- at least in the case of WeChat and Kakao.

I live in Pittsburgh, not exactly the most diverse place in the world.