Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
start at :55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ9_RJ2EPo0&t=55s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

SciFiDownBeat posted:

princes are even more silly with vow of silence

is there a list somewhere of the bosses that vow of silence works on? I know it works on sage, princes and aldrich at least

Those are the only bosses that should matter.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

This guy likes the gutter from DS2.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Decrepus posted:

It was the only area where the torch mechanic works like it seems it was originally intended. Black Gulch can still go gently caress itself though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Decrepus posted:

I generally like Bunnyhop's videos so I'm interested to hear why he likes it.

His Twitter has been full of him gushing about Bloodborne for the past few days.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Shannow posted:

It was the only area where the torch mechanic works like it seems it was originally intended. Black Gulch can still go gently caress itself though.

Oops I meant Black Gulch. He raves about it. lol

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Decrepus posted:

The gutter is amazing.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

argondamn posted:

The gutter is amazing.

I haven't watched the dude's opinions yet but black gulch is amazing also. "but there are so many fuckin' statues" well it's short dude you can just run through it "it's such a short level" that's why there are so many fuckin' statues! and I still maintain Pharros is in the Rotten somewhere

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Black Gulch is stylish as hell gently caress the haters

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Short is bad because maybe I want more poison hell in my life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

turtlecrunch posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/374320/achievements/

as usual: lol
I don't think there's a website where you can see the ps4 version, not counting that dumb one where people have to register to be counted

I can understand the covenant related stuff since it requires pvp and not everybody wants to do that, and that in turn means that stuff like sorcery/pyromancy achievements aren't going to get done either since there are spells locked away as covenant rewards. But the Master of Infusion one being so low really surprises me, since it's so straightforward to get by the end of the game.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I don't have as much love for Black Gulch but it is so so satisfying to light every torch in the Gutter and also figure out where all the pitfalls are and figure out how to get back to where you were before. I swear it probably took 20-30 playthroughs to have a real solid mental map of where everything was.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Gutter is a cool design. A lot more so than a lot of DS2 levels, anyway. I like how it feels like you're crashing your way into a bunch of dejected, worthless hollows' homes and stealing their poo poo. It also does verticality pretty well. I don't think it holds up as well in either case as much as Blighttown, though. Black Gulch has a few cool secrets, but the neon green is loving hideous, and it's really short and boring.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Jerusalem posted:

I can understand the covenant related stuff since it requires pvp and not everybody wants to do that, and that in turn means that stuff like sorcery/pyromancy achievements aren't going to get done either since there are spells locked away as covenant rewards. But the Master of Infusion one being so low really surprises me, since it's so straightforward to get by the end of the game.
I have to imagine that achievements are sorted by how likely a player is to do the thing over the course of a normal playthrough. Maybe I'm projecting but I can't imagine that most players are going to go even slightly out of their way to get an achievement if there's no in-game reason to do so. Most players are not going to end up using every infusion.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Toady posted:

I'm not talking about the story but gameplay moments. Seeing Oscar in the beginning, the silver knight archers on the walkways, the player build/Gwyn phases in the final boss, and so on. While the game is playable without that context, the whole experience is designed to evoke emotions from DS1 players.

I went BB>DS3>DS2 and I don't feel like I had some sort of lovely game experience because I wasn't on intimate terms with all the corpses littering the the world. Before I bought DS3 I just googled "Dark Souls 1 plot" and read some one page summary, and from that alone I basically knew what was going on. Obviously a lot of the references weren't some mind blowing thing, but I don't think I lost out on a huge experience by not going "Oh man these giant archers murdered me in a different game 7 years ago!". In fact, even not really knowing the universe I felt the game was really immersive and interesting, a lot more than DS2 which by most account seems to be far less "connected" to DS1 than DS3 is.

On a similar subject, basically anyone who bitches about "too many callbacks" is a moron. Only with a fanbase as spergy as this do you get people upset that a franchise game is "referencing" itself. Of course it is, it's a series. I understand the the Soulsborne universe is fairly unique that time isn't linear, but people saying DS3 is pandering to DS1 fans with its references is just idiotic. It's like people being pissed that Skyrim had a lot of references to people and events in Oblivion/Morrowind.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the gutter is like the antithesis of a good design. it's a bunch of wooden platforms free floating in a featureless void. it's by far the worst area in the series, aesthetically speaking. they looked at the valley of defilement and got like halfway through making a level like it before giving up

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

the gutter is like the antithesis of a good design. it's a bunch of wooden platforms free floating in a featureless void. it's by far the worst area in the series, aesthetically speaking. they looked at the valley of defilement and got like halfway through making a level like it before giving up

And it's not like it has much going on encounter wise either, with the poo poo tier hollows and their glow sticks of death or the beefcake pups that damage you by heaving their girth slightly in your direction

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The part about the Lost Bastille in this video does an excellent job outlining my issues with DS2's level design. I don't entirely agree with the recurring complaint about fighting groups that it seems George shares, but the stuff about bonfire placement and the overall less complex level design is spot on. We even seem to agree on what the coolest areas are, though I don't share the excitement about the Gutter, though I also don't hate it the way some people seem to.

I like that he does a detailed breakdown of why the DLC levels are so good, too.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 19, 2016

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

you have bad opinions sir. your criticism is that it's dark and made of wood.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

my criticism is that there's nothing to it visually. like compare it to the tomb of giants or valley of defilement, two areas that have an actual visual design instead of being a bunch of literally nothing+wooden platforms

they aren't even interesting platforms, like in the valley of defilement where there are actual ramshackle homes made of cast off wood

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

And it's not like it has much going on encounter wise either, with the poo poo tier hollows and their glow sticks of death or the beefcake pups that damage you by heaving their girth slightly in your direction

the torch hollows who aggro you from far across the map because you light a torch are actually pretty cool. i've got no excuses for the fleshy dog skeletons though.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

my criticism is that there's nothing to it visually. like compare it to the tomb of giants or valley of defilement, two areas that have an actual visual design instead of being a bunch of literally nothing+wooden platforms

valley of defilement is loving awful from start to finish minus the thematic boss. looks pretty is kind of low on my list of level designs cares, but i will even disagree with you here because The Gutter looks amazing when you light all the torches.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Gutter looks like the designer was just slapping the level together with placeholder textures while he got the geometry worked out and then he went out for a smoke and they accidentally shipped the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You guys are complaining that a ramshackle pit made from poo poo some hollows randomly slapped together doesn't look good :regd09:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I actually thought the Gutter's design was pretty good compared to a lot of areas. I'm no big DS2 defender, to be fair, but the Gutter was actually pretty okay.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it doesn't even look like they live there

it looks like there are some platforms floating in space

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
They are hollows. They are nearly mindless. Of course they can't slap together proper homes. Its supposed to look and feel like a heap of worthless junk that has just barely been cobbled into something resembling a home, but is of course a complete mess because the builders are losing their minds.

I don't recall Upper Blighttown looking like it was a proper abode either.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

it doesn't look like

anything

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

valley of defilement did, which is why I mentioned it and not blighttown

the upper part of the valley is the path that leads into the swamp where the shacks are. I don't really know what's up with blighttown

also I don't get how they could have possibly have made these ridiculous platforms that stand hundreds of feet off the ground either. not that it matters since it's implied that the rotten made it before he lost it, not those brain dead hollows sitting around doing nothing

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
My first run through, I summoned for about 80% of the bosses. I have three more characters running concurrently and now, I'd say 80% of the bosses glitch out the fog door for human summons. I can use NPC summons just fine (what few you get), but besides Wolnir, every single boss I've tried to summon for has glitched out for humans. It's worse than it's ever been. My graphics settings have not changed, my PC has not changed. Why the hell is this stupid glitch A) still happening and B) getting worse??

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's kind of interesting that that Bunnyhop video weaves a thesis about level design around whether you can warp directly from checkpoint to checkpoint from the start. He seems to argue that the loading screens inherent in the warping in Bloodborne and Demon's Souls actually helped those games' level designs to prevent them from being essentially combat hallways between checkpoints (his criticism of DS2's levels). I'm not really 100% sure I buy that as the cause for Bloodborne and Demon's Souls both having warping from the start (unlike DS1) but also avoiding the "combat hallway" level design, especially because DS3 has direct bonfire-to-bonfire warping and avoids that pitfall too.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

You guys are complaining that a ramshackle pit made from poo poo some hollows randomly slapped together doesn't look good :regd09:

I am a mindless hollow let me build my house on 400 foot tall wooden sticks over a black nothing.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Finally invaded someone as a alrich somehow! Even at SL120. Unfortunately, I think they quit the game, since I lost the connection. Wish there was some equivalent of the indictment from DS1!

Unrelated note: I Mis-typed last time. I always seem to do more damage with a refined, rather than sharp, lothric knight sword, not Ricard's Rapier. Refined just seems to be a better choice for certain weapons, even if they skew one stat over the other. And while a 40/40 RR may not do as much damage may not do as much as my dex/int build and CMW, I think consumables may help out elsewhere. I figure that I use magic so rarely in this, it may be nice to try this out instead. And there are always consumables/carthus flame arc for a bit of extra damage.

And I always assumed that gutter were hollows trying to "build up" because they were just tossed down into some dark pit. Maybe as a means to escape, or comfort themselves. Then again, I also seem to like some of the design cues from DS2 more than others. DS3 has better level design overall, certainly, but there were aspects of 2 and its DLC that I preferred. Bloodborne still takes the the top for me out of all the Souls games even though it technically is not one. (And I actually wasn't a huge fan of the valley of defilement! Tower of Latria and Boletaria were my favorite levels from that one).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The housing market collapsed in Drangleic after loving GIANTS WAGED A WAR ON THE COUNTRY.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

valley of defilement did, which is why I mentioned it and not blighttown

the upper part of the valley is the path that leads into the swamp where the shacks are. I don't really know what's up with blighttown

also I don't get how they could have possibly have made these ridiculous platforms that stand hundreds of feet off the ground either. not that it matters since it's implied that the rotten made it before he lost it, not those brain dead hollows sitting around doing nothing

Valley of Defilement wasn't inhabited by mindless zombies, just people with really unfortunate diseases forced to live in a horrid place. It makes sense that they could cobble together places that made more sense as a home.

The Gutter is all that remains of what was supposed to be a sanctuary for the outcasts of the world after it has rotted and fallen to pieces. The structures are crumbling and only have mindless hollows to maintain them, and of course they do a poo poo job. The place literally crumbles as you move through it. You descend deeper into the pit and eventually arrive upon the source of the blight that consumed everything. Going even deeper into there, you find all the remains of the builder who tried to make the whole place work. There's an actual sense of progression between the Gutter and Black Gulch that makes sense. As opposed to other areas in DS2 like Iron Keep and Earthen Peak which don't really have any relation to each other.

I just don't get what else you expect a rotting settlement made out of trash to look like.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
that bunnyhop guy made some nice points but then he said that the old hunters was only mediocre in another video and i cried irl

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
The gutter has a cool premise but my main memory of it is the weird pillars that are supposed to look like they are made of piled up garbage but the textures are all clearly flat and look like a crappy photoshop collage of random junk.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Puntification posted:

The gutter has a cool premise but my main memory of it is the weird pillars that are supposed to look like they are made of piled up garbage but the textures are all clearly flat and look like a crappy photoshop collage of random junk.

yea there are a few pillars withat stuff. that's also in the wharf, actually

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
At level 24 with nothing above +2, the game decided I was ripe to be summoned for NG+ Greatwood. There was another phantom (Couldn't tell whether she was NG+) and she and the host apparently just ran around killing hollows while I tried to kill the boss. It took nearly two minutes of walloping on a single hand pustule before the thing burst.

Experiences like that and impenetrable boss fog and the occasional host too derpy to stay alive aside, Greatwood is a phenomenal way to farm sun medals on a new character and load up on souls while you're at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I also think The Gutter's good and Blighttown is even better. The latter is a challenge even with the Rusted Ring but not too brutal once you git gud. Upper Blighttown has those gruesome mutant dogmen which are pretty fun to kill and the water wheel downtown was pretty unique to the series.

Does anyone know if the Grass Crest Shield's stamina regen is affected by a Simple infusion?