Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The are plenty of Russia-excusing dipshits that don't believe half of Europe has rights and ought to be good little slaves to Russia for in publications as obscure as NY Times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Sorry you were apparently blind and deaf when the war actually happened?
The one thing the Russians are best at: delusion.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The NYT has literally run editorials by Vladimir Putin before. Bashar al-Assad appeared in an interview on American public television.

Bloodshit
Mar 31, 2016

by zen death robot
Loga Mira- I hope you understand that not all Americans think that way. There's a lot of people in the West who don't have a colonial and imperialist mentality towards other countries.

It's not the fault of the regular working American. Think about it from our perspective- you have a wide array of different media sources all claiming to be objective and unbiased pushing the same narrative and the same agenda. Unless you have really good critical thinking skills, it's almost inevitable that you'll be sucked into the disinformation and distortion. Most people are too busy with their work and their family to spend time doing research and figuring out what the gently caress is actually happening in the rest of the world.

Bloodshit fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 18, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bloodshit posted:

Loga Mira- I hope you understand that not all Americans think that way. There's a lot of people in the West who don't have a colonial and imperialist mentality towards other countries.

It's not the fault of the regular working American. Think about it from our perspective- you have a wide array of different media sources all claiming to be objective and unbiased pushing the same narrative and the same agenda. Unless you have really good critical thinking skills, it's almost inevitable that you'll be sucked into the disinformation and distortion. Most people are too busy with their work and their family to spend time doing research and figuring out what the gently caress is actually happening in the rest of the world.

Can you rewrite this in non-"Frankenstein Gangster Computer God" syntax? Thanks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Now tell me about the reptilians, please.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How insecure are the people of the Great Mother Russia if they consider free expression of their country's faults an act of imperialism (while invading countries is not, apparently)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

fishmech posted:

Can you rewrite this in non-"Frankenstein Gangster Computer God" syntax? Thanks.

Is that a Chomsky joke?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Is that a Chomsky joke?
http://www.bentoandstarchky.com/dec/containmentpolicy.htm

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I think I've just gained a little insight as to how seemingly-ordinary dudes get mad and go join ISIS. Please banned guy do not go join ISIS.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If anything, he'll stalk Ukraine and shoot imaginary Nazis.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Flesh Forge posted:

I think I've just gained a little insight as to how seemingly-ordinary dudes get mad and go join ISIS. Please banned guy do not go join ISIS.

Don't listen to this guy, embrace your destiny and become the Eastern European Caro.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I literally keep a list of each Negro the US has lynched in my bookmarks bar oh gently caress someone already made that joke arghhh!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Does the Assad regime take foreign recruits?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Does the Assad regime take foreign recruits?

Does the Assad regime have anyone non-foreign fighting for them these days?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

OddObserver posted:

Does the Assad regime have anyone non-foreign fighting for them these days?
The Russian Army
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AaRUNafB2k&t=160s

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Bloodshit posted:

Think about it from our perspective- you have a wide array of different media sources all claiming to be objective and unbiased pushing the same narrative and the same agenda. Unless you have really good critical thinking skills, it's almost inevitable that you'll be sucked into the disinformation and distortion. Most people are too busy with their work and their family to spend time doing research and figuring out what the gently caress is actually happening in the rest of the world.

The average person in an English-speaking country has it pretty freaken good wrt multiple competing information sources, it's not like a lot of places where a pensioner without internet access might only get news from state-owned TV broadcasts. Also, there's a whole lot more English-language internet media out there compared to other languages

I don't know if you're arguing in good faith or not but America's media landscape is extremely diverse compared to most of the world. It's true that a lot of Americans choose to get their news from lovely sources but that's true anyplace where you have a big media marketplace

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

A Polish former MP for the Self Defense party and founder of the pro-Russian political party "Change" has been arrested for spying for Russia. He is a proponent of panslavism is and was one of the "independent" international observers of the Crimea referendum.

This guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mateusz_Piskorski

edit: also a Russian bus carrying military officers plunged off a cliff in South Ossetia killing six and injuring at least sixteen others.

A Pale Horse fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 19, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I am honestly skeptical about anybody being arrested for espionage under the current paranoid government.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bashar al-Assad has got to have the highest kill count of any optometrist in history. And that's counting 18th century doctors!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Palpek posted:

I am honestly skeptical about anybody being arrested for espionage under the current paranoid government.

I'm also skeptical that those Russian soldiers really died in a bus accident.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I dont know if anyone has posted this yet, but the Navy has released more footage of the Russian SU-24s flying over the USS Cook from last month.
https://theaviationist.com/2016/05/...the-baltic-sea/
Apparently the Russians flew a helicopter insanely close to the ship as well. Man I dont know how those sailors felt about it but I think if the US was buzzing a russian ship our planes would have definitely got shot down.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Young Freud posted:

I'm also skeptical that those Russian soldiers really died in a bus accident.

Tbh it's kind of realistic if you know what those roads in Caucasus Mountains look like.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Isn't South Ossetia pretty safe/friendly too? I would be skeptical of any "bus accidents" in Syria, but don't see a reason to get all :tinfoil: over this.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

So remember how PiS cut off funding to an organization helping women victims of domestic violence, well now they've also decided to cut off funding to an NGO called Nobody's Children (Dzieci Niczyje) which has been helping children victims of abuse and domestic violence for the past 21 years. Their justification is that it doesn't provide comprehensive services to all victims of crime (only children) which was also their justification for cutting off aid to the women's abuse charity. They're getting into mustache twirling levels of evil and its frankly gross. How do you call yourself a Catholic and cut off funding for abused children?

edit: haha, I read a little more about it and turns out the NGO was attacked last year by right wing media for promoting sexual education and interfering with families. Now it makes sense. :barf:

A Pale Horse fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 19, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Charliegrs posted:

I dont know if anyone has posted this yet, but the Navy has released more footage of the Russian SU-24s flying over the USS Cook from last month.
https://theaviationist.com/2016/05/...the-baltic-sea/
Apparently the Russians flew a helicopter insanely close to the ship as well. Man I dont know how those sailors felt about it but I think if the US was buzzing a russian ship our planes would have definitely got shot down.

Well, I'd assume keeping your calm would be one of the chief objectives of the Navy training, given the past decades of experience with Iran in the Gulf.

Also I'm sure no Russian commander ever would OK a shooting down of an American plane, no matter the situation. Remember that even the USSR allowed a puny Western civilian light aircraft to fly in the middle of Russia and land in Moscow (according to many historians this anecdote did more to bring down Communism in Russia than all Reagan's policies combined)

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 19, 2016

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

So remember how PiS cut off funding to an organization helping women victims of domestic violence, well now they've also decided to cut off funding to an NGO called Nobody's Children (Dzieci Niczyje) which has been helping children victims of abuse and domestic violence for the past 21 years. Their justification is that it doesn't provide comprehensive services to all victims of crime (only children) which was also their justification for cutting off aid to the women's abuse charity. They're getting into mustache twirling levels of evil and its frankly gross. How do you call yourself a Catholic and cut off funding for abused children?

edit: haha, I read a little more about it and turns out the NGO was attacked last year by right wing media for promoting sexual education and interfering with families. Now it makes sense. :barf:

Evil. Just plain evil.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are there at least signs of resistance, or is the whole country broken?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Also I'm sure no Russian commander ever would OK a shooting down of an American plane, no matter the situation.

Werent they under the impression that the Korean airliner that was downed was an American spy plane?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

They used to shoot down American planes all the time when they got the chance. Generally they actually were spy flights though.

az
Dec 2, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Also I'm sure no Russian commander ever would OK a shooting down of an American plane, no matter the situation. Remember that even the USSR allowed a puny Western civilian light aircraft to fly in the middle of Russia and land in Moscow (according to many historians this anecdote did more to bring down Communism in Russia than all Reagan's policies combined)

Eh, the Soviet Union shot down over a dozen NATO and civilian planes in and around their airspace and got into tons of near engagement situations but they did calm down significantly after Cuba.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Russia already made an example of Turkey for shooting down its bomber by banning cheap vacations in Turkey and cheap Turkish fruit. The most recent blow, prohibition of Turkish lettuce should have also driven the point home.
Be afraid.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

woodenchicken posted:

Russia already made an example of Turkey for shooting down its bomber by banning cheap vacations in Turkey and cheap Turkish fruit. The most recent blow, prohibition of Turkish lettuce should have also driven the point home.
Be afraid.

That'll help with the sanctions

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A Pale Horse posted:

You have to fund those new cathedrals somehow.

The exchange of favors between the government and the Church is so apparent and disgusting at this point. The Church is telling the population how to vote in exchange for funding, eliminating 'problematic' organizations, retaining the right to buy and sell land when everybody else is forbidden to, changing the law on various social issues etc.

I'm becoming convinced that the plan is for Poland to head into the direction of a radical Catholic state complete with a Polish version of the burqa.

My only hope is that the Church is losing more people than it's gaining with this crap and when the dust settles it will be another step to desecularization.

steinrokkan posted:

Are there at least signs of resistance, or is the whole country broken?
The country is run by a party that can single-handedly do this poo poo which is why it's such a disaster. But of course there's opposition and many people who even voted for PiS find all of this as horrendous as they should.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 20, 2016

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Soon there will be The Catholic State videos with Poles blowing up EU officials cars with gregorian chanting playing on the background

Ave Maria!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Palpek posted:

You have to fund those new cathedrals somehow.

The exchange of favors between the government and the Church is so apparent and disgusting at this point. The Church is telling the population how to vote in exchange for funding, eliminating 'problematic' organizations, retaining the right to buy and sell land when everybody else is forbidden to, changing the law on various social issues etc.

I'm becoming convinced that the plan is for Poland to head into the direction of a radical Catholic state complete with a Polish version of the burqa.
The Papal states have a long and proud history of glorious infighting and being the largest most corrupt whorehouse in all of Europe, Poland will be more stronk if this happens!

quote:

desecularization

Theocracy ftw.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I'm looking forward to The Borgias: Poland 2017 edition. Except with less nudity and more Jeremy Irons talking about FAMILY.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Palpek posted:

My only hope is that the Church is losing more people than it's gaining with this crap and when the dust settles it will be another step to desecularization.

You probably want the opposite of that word.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Trogdos! posted:

Soon there will be The Catholic State videos with Poles blowing up EU officials cars with gregorian chanting playing on the background

Ave Maria!

Deus vult!

I hope at some point the Pope gets involved and the more conservative Polish priests go full schismatic and proclaim him the Antichrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Schism with Rome due to Pope being too liberal for them, I think this is a first.