Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bare bottom pancakes

Production: Complete
streamer friend swears by his ds4 if that makes any difference to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious

i like the textured matte finish on the ps4 controller it feels like real quality!

Moola
I bought special rubber nubbins for my ds4

they are pleasurable to touch

NyetscapeNavigator

DS4 is garbage unless you replace the sticks with ones from the Xbox One controller.

Ostentatious

warning: sexy fanart underneath

Moola

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

DS4 is garbage unless you replace the sticks with ones from the Xbox One controller.

nah

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
DS4 is honestly the best-feeling controller I've ever used

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

Ostentatious posted:

warning: sexy fanart underneath
are those bird baths or bowls of tears

joke_explainer

Lizard Wizard posted:

even more basic than that please :sweatdrop:

Tip #1: Wait for the hot fix that makes sector AI realize that robots do not need food... all of my robots are running farms... Maybe farming calms their nerves?

Be ready to lose a lot despite not doing anything particularly wrong.

Use shift + click to queue up multiple orders. You can tell your science ship to hit an entire huge ring of planets without having to order it again, or send multiple construct ships to fill up multiple systems with mining stations.

Frontier outposts are super tricky! The map is slightly 3d; check where the planets intersect with your borders to make sure they are close, and build your frontier outposts where you get the largest territory grab. Or if there's something you critically can't afford to lose (I found a system with two habitable gaia worlds of size 22, it became the absolute stronghold of my empire for example).

Try really hard to complete any weird quests you get, they always result in good stuff or game-destroying horror, either way it's good fun.

Dangerous technologies all have the capability to end the game, but it'll generally be fun anyway. Dangerous technologies are marked red: Rare technologies are purple and a generally worth the effort

Always research colony ships first in society b/c you may not get it for 2 or 3 rerolls and that will put you far behind

It can be hard to keep yourself from getting energy starved early on. Build two power plants, a mining plant and a science lab, and upgrade the power plants first... Also, make sure you don't overproduce food (though before the planet is full of pops, an abundance is good).

An admiral with +15 evasion seems to be the best working ones for me

If you do get a war declared on you and you are unprepared, just immediately start putting as many armies as you can afford on your home planet, generally the wars will target that. This will give you a bit more time to spin things up at your other spaceports. Make sure Earth isn't your only spaceport. I try to build like two corvettes a month and keep up that way, generally within a few years you have a big enough force to clean up any space amoeba or crystalline entity mess around your homeward, deal with pirates or space probes or the early separatists event, and have enough of a fleet that the worst of the aggressors won't consider stomping you first b/c it'd be easy.

Fallen empires are terrible forces of incredible destruction, but even they are vulnerable to corvette spam. Huge numbers of upgraded corvettes seem to be better than any battleships or cruisers, though having a few of the bigger ships around for the fleet bonus stuff is nice.

After 5 planets or so, you start to get a 10% debuff on production for every additional planet you colonize, so to combat this you have to make a sector. The sector goes out of your immediate control... you can set a priority for the sector if you have the right tech. Sectors can produce separatists if your ethics gets different enough, which is frustrating, but its nice to not have to micromanage a hundred planets. For best results don't force them to use tile bonuses or they end up doing weird poo poo and let them replace buildings.

There's a ton more but hopefully that helps...

Silver Alicorn

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Lizard Wizard posted:

i mean i don't want to buy a bluetooth adapter. but i was under the impression using the ds4 wired involved a lot of third-party software and was kinda fiddly???

just install SCPtoolkit and all DS4 controllers will act like xbox controllers forever. vibration works and you can even set it up for the face buttons to do proper analog in PCSX2

Scaly Haylie

when you say power plants, mining plants and science labs, those are all tile upgrades right?

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Heard the new dark souls was like this. c/d? would play if it is, looks adorb

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Ostentatious

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
o yeah

if any of you are gaming on a budget, I've been working on this catalog of great-quality freeware games on and off for a while now (some of the links might be dead so just lemme know if that's the case)

Edit: Oh, forgot to put a legend for reference

- Bottom left icons: Number of players supported
- Bottom right icons: Denotes whether the game is downloadable (box w/a down arrow), web-based (globe), or both.
- Bottom middle icon: If a game still hasn't been released in full, these icons donate whether the game is in alpha or beta
- Gold star: Highly recommended, if not essential, game in the indie canon (imo)

HighwireAct fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 19, 2016

Quidthulhu

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

HighwireAct posted:

o yeah

if any of you are gaming on a budget, I've been working on this catalog of great-quality freeware games on and off for a while now (some of the links might be dead so just lemme know if that's the case)

this is a hella good list

Moola
what even are video games?

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Moola posted:

what even are video games?

a social construct

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Video games, are good.

----------------

symbolic

drilldo squirt posted:

Video games, are good.

Quidthulhu

drilldo squirt posted:

Video games, are good.

you don't need a comma there drilldo squirt

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
yeah but how else do you build the suspense

Moola

HighwireAct posted:

a social construct

I literally dont know what this means

symbolic

HighwireAct posted:

yeah but how else do you build the suspense
ellipses, maybe?

Quidthulhu

you could have a post th

FAT32 SHAMER

Moola posted:

I literally dont know what this means

marriage is a social construct that is otherwise unnecessary but only exists because of social and traditional reasons

get it now?

Moola
I like videogames

Hello Meow
the new doom is a good video game to like

bare bottom pancakes

i wish i trusted my laptop to run 3d game, new doom looks :krad:

Shaquin

i dont trust my laptop at all. not since it got drunk and hosed up the front end of my hyundai doing donuts around the black walnut tree at 2 am in the morning.

A Spider Covets

bizarre urge to play the Sims 4 again. time to make an insane couple and make them gently caress constantly so i can see how their wacky kids turn out. heck yea!!!

FAT32 SHAMER

i played sins of a solar empire yesterday since i can't get stellaris for a while and it's pretty good

also cities: skylines has been filling my Sim City 4 needs, though I wish you could do the region play like you can in SC4. Also all the mods I had collected over the years were just awesome.

I think I still have the biggest mod pack for OS X on the internet :3:

The X-man cometh

DraconicImpulse posted:

Jack in more RAM!

Scaly Haylie

A Spider Covets posted:

bizarre urge to play the Sims 4 again. time to make an insane couple and make them gently caress constantly so i can see how their wacky kids turn out. heck yea!!!

the sims 4 is so very disappointing after the wild ride that 3 was.

A Spider Covets

Lizard Wizard posted:

the sims 4 is so very disappointing after the wild ride that 3 was.

it grew on me tbh, it's not the best game but it's alright and i like to mess with it now and then. i do miss the open world. my big problem with sims 3 however was how abysmally slow it was, like i run a pretty good rig and i couldnt load all my expansions at the same time because the game would take 20 minutes to get to the family select screen.

if i added any mods it was just done, son

if 3 didn't have the loading problems it'd be way more popular with me though, i had a lot of fun using this cheat mod to "makeover" other sims before the tattoo parlor thing came out :shobon:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Salmiakki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WZgRMamJ60

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

bare bottom pancakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PnCaSA6PO8

Salmiakki

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

Moola

DraconicImpulse posted:

trick is most people get the bad low fps on games like doom

you wanna get the high fps instead

try that

bare bottom pancakes

whoa, i've been going about this video games thing ALL WRONG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

*flips high fps switch on back of laptop* holy poo poo!