Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yep. Properly manage stockpiles is pretty crucial. From production to eating. The less a pawn has to travel, the more time they have to put in to their actual work. A large mess hall in a central location is always useful to have, but making smaller satellite dining areas with a small stockpile of meals is handy for your miners for example. The same goes for manually setting bed ownership so that pawns will be sleeping closer to where they work, having several smaller medical rooms as opposed to one large one(I find it's more important for a patient to get to a bed faster than a doctor having less time bouncing between patients,) and setting up joy activities spaced around your colony.

Another less useful but still great thing to do is keeping your butcher table in a different room from your dining areas. Less blood splattered on the floors where your pawns are dining, so they get a better mood gain while eating.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I always just put a two or three tile high priority meal storage in my dining area. Food gets ate before it spoils and the minions keep it stocked while leaving most poo poo in the freezer.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also its okay for some food to spoil, just like real life.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Hey you know when you have big Manhunter events and you have like 10 downed wargs, if you enclose a room and put a bunch of animal sleeping spots inside you can 'Rescue' them and eventually tame them. Or piss one of them off and get attacked. I mention this because if you do it you want to define a little 1 tile stockpile to be filled with meat, so they don't go into predator mode.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

My current colony is getting a worrisome amount of cargo pods containing human meat. I like to think that my guys just barely escaped an Event Horizon fate, because apparently every ship in orbit was blown to bits shortly after the crew was butchered into snack packs by something.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Omnicarus posted:

My current colony is getting a worrisome amount of cargo pods containing human meat. I like to think that my guys just barely escaped an Event Horizon fate, because apparently every ship in orbit was blown to bits shortly after the crew was butchered into snack packs by something.

And now they're generously shipping the snack packs downwell. :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm surprised (and tbh, rather impressed) to discover that straight or gay does not really matter thaaaaat much for colonist hookups. :golfclap:

e: They still mash their uglies together but not as often and it's not as fun

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 14, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
My god, this game actually on a ship with a hull. Space decompresses as usual, putting on space suits to patch your ship, etc.

If you gently caress up then you crash land on the rimworld.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Minarchist posted:

Make sure to keep your food stockpile close to your kitchen and dining area. I saw a few screencaps where pawns would have to walk 30-40 tiles minimum each way just to fetch food, cook it, and walk back.

Also having a medicine/secondary food cooler next to your hospital (if its not near your main cooler) cuts down on travel time for doctors feeding/treating patients. Requires a little micromanagement, prioritizing and forbidding but it makes it a lot easier to handle when half the colony gets malaria or w/e and your only doc is running 20 miles a day to keep up.

Refrigerating medicine isn't worth it imo. Medicine kept at 15 degrees or so can last up to two years IIRC.

Also, the talk about organ donation: I've never once in my game needed an organ for a colonist. My colonists will always either instantly die, or manage to be rescued but just have normal wounds. They never lose a kidney or lung or heart.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Blacktoll posted:

My god, this game actually on a ship with a hull. Space decompresses as usual, putting on space suits to patch your ship, etc.

Could you possibly repost this in English

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

It would be neat if you start on a spaceship and try to keep it afloat not unlike FTL but with this games characteristics and when it inevitably crashes down on a planet, presumably a rimworld, that would be fun and cool.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Rimworld as a game title is just hilarious to me because I just can't help but think of rimjob

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Loopoo posted:

Refrigerating medicine isn't worth it imo. Medicine kept at 15 degrees or so can last up to two years IIRC.

Also, the talk about organ donation: I've never once in my game needed an organ for a colonist. My colonists will always either instantly die, or manage to be rescued but just have normal wounds. They never lose a kidney or lung or heart.

I thought people were selling organs to the trade ships.

DBlue135
Dec 21, 2005

Blacktoll posted:

It would be neat if you start on a spaceship and try to keep it afloat not unlike FTL but with this games characteristics and when it inevitably crashes down on a planet, presumably a rimworld, that would be fun and cool.

I was working on a game like this, but then I discovered Rimworld and said "gently caress it - I'll just play Rimworld instead. It's way less work"

Qubee
May 31, 2013

dragon_pamcake posted:

I thought people were selling organs to the trade ships.

I never thought of doing that. I sold a slave once to traders and almost had one of my colonists go through a mental break because everyone was sad I'd sold someone into slavery. Do colonists ever become hardened to this? Like if I keep selling people into slavery, do they just stop giving a drat?

Also, is it more profitable to harvest organs and sell that or should I just sell the whole person? I'll save this for the pesky bastards that are 99 difficulty in recruitment.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Blacktoll posted:

I've had the same thought. Or, what if the ship you build in your colony actually becomes your new "colony"? Rimworld's engine seems robust enough to support a sort of firefly crossover mod.

Apoplexy posted:

Could you possibly repost this in English

I bet you're fun at parties

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'm bad at parties where nobody speaks in English, sure.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

To be fair the guy's post about this being on a spaceship was really hard to understand. I re-read it a bunch of times but just kept getting confused over what he was trying to say.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Blacktoll posted:

My god, - Statement of excitement

this game - Rimworld
actually on a ship - on a vessel
with a hull. - A sealed vessel

Space decompresses as usual - The ships in space. Space acts like space.
putting on space suits - You have gear to go into space
to patch your ship, etc. - You need to fix your ship.

If you gently caress up - It has a failstate
then you crash land on the rimworld. - This lovely game is the fail state .

It's really not that hard to translate.

Apoplexy posted:

I'm bad at parties where nobody speaks in English, sure.
So you're the rear end in a top hat that makes fun of the exchange student but gets lower grades than someone learning in their non-mother tongue?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
You guys are terrible at context and interpretation. If spergmaster like me could figure it out I'm not sure what to tell you.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I mean, I could kinda guess what he was saying but it wasn't exactly clear that he was talking about a "this would be a neat idea to have in the game" and not something else.

And I also think people should be corrected on their mistakes when learning a foreign tongue, so that they can improve their grasp of the language. v:kiddo:v

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Well, that was a spurt of activity in this otherwise-dead thread. Anyone else really enjoying Alpha 13? I am. Let's talk about that instead of a retarded idea by a retarded person who can't even convey that idea in English.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Apoplexy posted:

Well, that was a spurt of activity in this otherwise-dead thread. Anyone else really enjoying Alpha 13? I am. Let's talk about that instead of a retarded idea by a retarded person who can't even convey that idea in English.

I keep trying to do hydroponics farming on glaciers but it's impossible because of electrical shorts and solar flares.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Crimson Harvest posted:

I keep trying to do hydroponics farming on glaciers but it's impossible because of electrical shorts and solar flares.

Any time one of those happens, my crops either outright die, or they'll lose so much HP that when it comes to harvesting time, they give barely any food. It's ridiculous. Hydroponics used to be a sustainable method of keeping your colonists alive, but now it's just poo poo.

1) It takes HUGE amounts of power for just a a small room with 8 basins and 1 sun lamp
2) Any solar flares or electricity shortages resorts in the crops either outright dying, or losing so much health as to not even give much yield at harvest

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Loopoo posted:

Any time one of those happens, my crops either outright die, or they'll lose so much HP that when it comes to harvesting time, they give barely any food. It's ridiculous. Hydroponics used to be a sustainable method of keeping your colonists alive, but now it's just poo poo.

1) It takes HUGE amounts of power for just a a small room with 8 basins and 1 sun lamp
2) Any solar flares or electricity shortages resorts in the crops either outright dying, or losing so much health as to not even give much yield at harvest

Game needs a research for improved power grids in a big way. Make switches also be fuses, add hardening against EM problems (including EMP grenades maybe), and maybe an upgrade in general reliability for electronics and machines. Maybe have a control console you can staff in an emergency to still have your gizmos work during a flare?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

A lot of strong feelings from my lovely cellphone typing. Fyi, the mod that causes chunks of the spaceship to crash onto the surface is great.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
See, now it makes sense. There's nothing wrong with it being the result of typing on a cell phone, just I wish everyone else would've admitted it was nigh-unreadable instead of jerking their knees so hard in defense of it.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I've never used Enhanced Tabs in Alpha 12 before but it, the Numbers mod and Fluffy's Relations mod (youtube video) should be in the base game.

I've had enhanced tabs for a couple of colonies now and never really messed with it. Yesterday I got really fed up with 4 Thrumbo just sleeping on my harvested potatoes and eating them whenever they wanted. I didn't really have the manpower to kill four at once so I tested out the Enhanced Tabs feature where you can raise the priority of jobs for all your colonists. I set everyone to haul 1 and instead of turning down other jobs to make hauling more important for a few individuals, I just raised hauling to the 1st priority for every colonist and boom. All my fields were emptied almost immediately. Turned hauling back down to third from last (default setting) and everyone went back about their normal jobs.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Goons going to the hilt to defend the honor of being a righteous pedantic nerd in response to every display of slightly incoherent enthusiasm definitely make games threads better and not worse.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Loopoo posted:

MarvinKosh's Less Incident Trolling and Ratys' Fuses both make this at lot more like a game and a lot less ARRGHGHG gently caress.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

dylguy90 posted:

Goons going to the hilt to defend the honor of being a righteous pedantic nerd in response to every display of slightly incoherent enthusiasm definitely make games threads better and not worse.

You know, I feel like I should say something because I was the reason for it all.

Apop and others were right in that what I wrote didn't make sense.

Others were right in that he didn't need to be abrasive about it.

Everyone involved was pedantic.

I'd actually like this game to be a little more action oriented because I really like the mechanics behind it. Someone made some equipment from the Aliens universe, now I'd like to see an already made base and Aliens to survive against.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blacktoll posted:

Apop and others were right in that what I wrote didn't make sense.

Others were right in that he didn't need to be abrasive about it.

Everyone involved was pedantic.

In other words, SA in a nutshell

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Goons.

Anyway, Enhanced Tabs just got updated to Fluffy Tabs! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hO8CtsYH2o showing off the mod and its changes. It looks like it's REALLY coming along for the better!

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Nah, think I'll stick with calling people out when they're gigantic assholes and shut people down for no reason. Especially when they shut down people whose only crime is being passionate about something. Don't internalize that negativity for the sake of finding a safe middle ground.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I appreciate the defense but apop being a dickhole doesn't really affect me on that level.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Blacktoll posted:

A lot of strong feelings from my lovely cellphone typing. Fyi, the mod that causes chunks of the spaceship to crash onto the surface is great.

I like the idea behind the crash landing mod, and wouldn't mind seeing something like it in the final game eventually, but oh boy was it a mess of merciless RNG murder the last time I tried it. For instance, it was practically unusable on the ice biome because unless you were lucky to get a wood drop (which I never saw happen once), then you were screwed because you couldn't build a butcher's table. And of course when the first life pod block comes crashing down there's a chance the initial three colonists will be injured or even killed. One time I had all three die straight away and so got the "all your colonists are dead, game over" message barely 5 seconds after starting it up.

It's a cool concept, but needs a lot of balancing. Been a while since I used it, though, so idk how much its changed since the last alpha.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Drunk in Space posted:

I like the idea behind the crash landing mod, and wouldn't mind seeing something like it in the final game eventually, but oh boy was it a mess of merciless RNG murder the last time I tried it. For instance, it was practically unusable on the ice biome because unless you were lucky to get a wood drop (which I never saw happen once), then you were screwed because you couldn't build a butcher's table. And of course when the first life pod block comes crashing down there's a chance the initial three colonists will be injured or even killed. One time I had all three die straight away and so got the "all your colonists are dead, game over" message barely 5 seconds after starting it up.

It's a cool concept, but needs a lot of balancing. Been a while since I used it, though, so idk how much its changed since the last alpha.

I really enjoy the mod, the randomness is part of the story generation. One crash I had 8 survivors (all hurt in some way) and the only thing I could save was glorious art pieces and shivs. It was a grueling start.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I have a tundra colony slowly dying but able to make a butchers table because I deconstructed some lovely wooden art structures. Also saves six colonist but then euthanized 4 because they weren't willing to HAUL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Blacktoll posted:

Also saves six colonist but then euthanized 4 because they weren't willing to HAUL.

Tynan should really think about changing his approach to the no hauling trait. Make it so that people opposed to hauling have a mood debuff, or only carry 50%, or move slowly or something, but the idea that in a survival situation someone will simply refuse to go and pick up medicine or whatever is pretty loving stupid, and even from a gameplay and storytelling perspective doesn't really enhance anything.

Speaking of medicine, doctors should be able to treat themselves as well, at least to some degree.