Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SolTerrasa posted:

Burying the lead is a pattern for these guys. Remember, utterly incapable of admitting failure.

it's burying the lede you failure, you have marred your otherwise flawless and amazing effortpost

Syncopated posted:

someone buy not-Stymie a new av already

its too bad that av is so heavily stymie'd because its otherwise pretty baller tbqh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Doktor Kreig
Feb 16, 2016

exploding mummy posted:

coming to kickstarter and the catte thread soon

no please god no

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We already saw it in the cat thread and general consensus was oh god no

Herr Doktor Kreig
Feb 16, 2016
I can't exactly pinpoint what it is about it that gives me the heebie jeebies

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

how is this NOT one of those fake comedy central infomercials? its too perfect

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Herr Doktor Kreig posted:

I can't exactly pinpoint what it is about it that gives me the heebie jeebies

weird, i only got the jeebies

have to recalibrate my heebie detector

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
*rereads diary of anne frank twelve times*

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Trig Discipline posted:

:wow:

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Skim Milk posted:

I like how the reward for one of the levels is a single pant*alone

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

I like how the reward for one of the levels is a single pant*alone

there was a parody commercial on saturday night live for "three-legged jeans". doesn't look like it's on youtube, though :(

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'm Kickstarting single trous' in very specific colours, just looking for a catchy name.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

there's an achewood for everything

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the barkley 2 kickstarter updated last night, they say it's still coming out https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam/posts/1349919

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

this video is nearly perfect lmao

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

exploding mummy posted:

coming to kickstarter and the catte thread soon

Vicas posted:

i'm feeling intensely uncomfortable now

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
how many times is that cat toy going to be reposted

Sair
May 11, 2007

as many as it takes

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Skim Milk posted:

it was done by a team of comedians

Herr Doktor Kreig
Feb 16, 2016

Trig Discipline posted:

:laffo:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

I notice the guy who made Barkley 1 isn't on the team list anymore and they're talking about how they're still drawing guns.

when does the drama explosion happen

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

warmed my heart to see the words "semper games" again

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I know what I'm playing after I finish Undertale

its Undertale again

then its the first Barkley because I haven't finished it yet

or mother 3

im way behind on bidcons, they can take as long as they need

Herr Doktor Kreig
Feb 16, 2016

minivanmegafun posted:

I know what I'm playing after I finish Undertale

its Undertale again

kinda wish I could erase my memory and play it again right now

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
undertale was good but the people who post about it are usually very very bad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

undertale is cute, but goddamn, it is really nowhere near as good as it's cracked up to be

it's a faux-retro game full of homestuck references and a couple of neat gameplay tricks and it's about children dying. i guess if you're a 14 year old coming at it from nothing but dota and candy crush it seems super deep and meaningful and blows your mind?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
how do you know it was full of homestuck references?

unclean

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
because homestar is super cool and good and worth watching and not shameful at all

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Al! posted:

how do you know it was full of homestuck references?

unclean

this is what others have said. i couldn't tell you which parts of the game specifically are those references

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i read a lot of homestuck in my awful teen years and didn't notice any references

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

SolTerrasa posted:

Everykey: Your Only Key.
https://everykey.com/

Everykey is a bluetooth wristband. When you bring it close to your phone or computer, your device unlocks without a password. It's a hardware kickstarter run by a bunch of amateurs, so obviously it's massively in debt, several years late on its goals, and genuinely terrible communication. Here's three randomly selected backers complaining about it:

Maybe skip the rest of this post if you don't want to hear the long story of why these people suck and how they've found themselves here.

I actually know the entire sordid story of this terrible kickstarter. It is not made up by the founder to enrich himself, it's just made by a bunch of incompetents and amateurs. I went to college with the founder, and I've been following the whole thing since the beginning, about 3 years ago. Effortpost incoming.

This is Chris Wentz:

He's exactly like he looks.

Chris is the consummate Ideas Guy. Lots of broad but vague plans which he's sure would come off perfectly, if he could only find someone to do all the work for him. I'm sure you know the type if you've ever worked in or near a startup. The asshat once made our professor sign a fuckin' NDA before he would present his class project. There is only one thing you need to know about Chris: he is constitutionally incapable of owning up to a failure. As far as he's concerned, he shits gold.

So, they launched a Kickstarter in October, 2014. They've been incubating the idea since January, 2012. They've won pitch competitions and raised a few thousand dollars; they press-ganged some kid into building them a prototype for free (Chris is a Business Student; he doesn't write code or make hardware or know anyone who does. This will cause him problems later when people start expecting things other than blog posts and promises).

He posted this timeline:

If you know anything about hardware manufacturing, this is the part where you start laughing. They have planned 1.5 months from finalizing the design to having a working unit in-hand. This is not just hilariously optimistic, it's practically malpractice. If Microsoft or Google wanted to release this product, they'd plan 6 months from design to release, with a team of 20, minimum. These guys have not only never designed hardware or worked with manufacturers before, they have never laid out a PCB before. It's 2 finance majors, a business major, and a press-ganged part-time CS guy who read up on how to use EAGLE.

Here's what they've promised.

It goes "well", at first: they meet their goal, but only barely and only on the very last day of the campaign. In the days of 6000%-funded hardware projects, this doesn't look great, but still, that's $117,000 raised.

Then they go silent. The first milestone, manufacturing designs finalized, passes and they don't say anything.

The second milestone, beta testing, passes without comment. Kickstarter is starting to get angsty at this point, but politely: "Update please" and so on. The third and fourth milestones pass with no comment either.

In February 2015, one month away from the planned ship date, they finally post something. I'm sure you know what it says.

Burying the lead is a pattern for these guys. Remember, utterly incapable of admitting failure.

In June 2015, 3 months after their original ship date, they post that they have some pre-production units ready, but the colors aren't quite right and they'll be sending them back.

At this point they say that they are 5 weeks away from shipping (in the middle of the last paragraph of the update without further comment).

By this time people are really mad:

In August 2015:

Pleased. On schedule. (5 months late.) At this point they are totally out of money. They take out a loan for another $100k.

Kickstarter is getting madder:

September 23, 2015 ("late September"):

Did you read that word salad? It says they're shipping! But, wait, it says they're doing their first pre-production run? Hm. I think they tell you in entrepreneurship class that it's a good idea to pretend that everything is going well regardless of reality.

But oh no! In an outcome that absolutely could never have been predicted, the first attempt of a bunch of amateurs has gone wrong!

I had to read that three times when I first saw the update. "The USB connectors don't work consistently" is the sane, non-business-school way to say that, I think. A month after that, in mid-November, they post again and delay to December 14, but that's not important. What matters is that in December, it gets really weird.

loving John McAfee. John McAfee, who famously fled Belize to avoid questions in a murder case, alleged narcotics trafficker, public liar, creator of an antivirus program.

This John McAfee:

https://www.wired.com/2012/12/ff-john-mcafees-last-stand/ (He doesn't reholster the gun.)

They picked that guy. And you've gotta think "Well, they're just a bunch of idiot kids; maybe they only remembered seeing the name on an antivirus once, hard to blame them."

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20151228/NEWS/151229905/controversial-security-pioneer-john-mcafee-invests-in-everykey

No, no loving way, no they didn't. There's no way that they "considered the many accusations against McAfee". And this tiny local paper gave you a really good out! "Oh, gosh, sorry, no, we had no idea we went into business with an alleged drug trafficker who's wanted in Belize in connection with a murder investigation". All you had to fuckin' do was say "we hosed up". Just once.

Ugh. The same day, they launch their IndieGoGo campaign. I think it's against some rule someplace to launch a campaign on IndieGoGo if you've already been funded on Kickstarter, but who cares.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/everykey-your-only-key#/story

On IGG, without updating their Kickstarter backers, they promise to have production done by January 22 and to ship by March 14. They raise another $100,000, which brings them to a total income of $200,000, a loan of $100,000, and an "investment" of $500,000 by their old business school professor. $900,000 cash available to them in total.

There's a few more delays / failures that go completely unacknowledged:

December 22, 2015

February 19, 2016

But then! The big news!

March 30, 2016, a full year late, they post excitedly.

So. A year late, they claim success and in the fifth paragraph note that they're dropping support for 3 of their major OSs. I also know that their product requires you to jailbreak your iPhone, but they've never explained that to anyone; I'm looking forward to them explaining that. And you see there where it says "small batches".

We're now 2 months away from that post. Not a single backer has acknowledged receiving an Everykey. There aren't any reviews online. The app isn't in the Play store. Mac / Linux / iOS support hasn't been announced.

But have they come back with a mea culpa? Or acknowledged this at all? Hell no! This is a great success!

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20160513/NEWS/160519897/everykey-moves-into-university-circle-office-starts-shipping-device

At this point you've got to assume the guy is just lying out his rear end. It's like he's trying to gaslight 2,000 people who tried to buy something from him.

It gets worse. Remember how they were targeting Android 4.4? That was the most recent version back then. In the 2 years since they've been developing this, Android has added Smart Unlock, which is just a better version of their entire product. You can unlock your Android phone with anything now. An NFC ring that costs $5 on Amazon. A fitbit. A wifi network, a geofence, and even more stuff. So Android is out. Windows has dropped the BTLE driver from their desktop image, and Everykey refuses to guarantee compatibility with any BTLE chips except the one that they're selling on their website (not included with purchase, of course).

There's a bunch of other funny stuff with these guys, like they have 12 employees and 6 of them are C-levels, with another 2 Vice Presidents, or that Chris's LinkedIn proudly lists his gray market reselling of iPads on eBay as his only previous employment, or the time they leaked their database credentials in a PHP error message (and the password was "peyush is the best"), but whatever, I feel like I've covered the gist of it and no one has time to read a post even longer than this one.

toot here comes the MBA train

somehow this guy is going to leverage the massive failure into 'experience' for some job somewhere

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Improbable Lobster posted:

i read a lot of homestuck in my awful teen years and didn't notice any references

a lot of people latch onto the homestuck thing because the guy who made the game made some music for homestuck once and they want it to be bad by association so they call it homestuck fanfiction or whatever. at least this is my experience. i didnt see any homestuck references either but i havent read that poo poo in years so who knows

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

homestuck is about five trillion pages long so probably anything could be construed as a reference

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i still don't know what homestuck is and i consider that a sign that i have lived well

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

i still don't know what homestuck is and i consider that a sign that i have lived well

there are probably four lonely teenagers who actually know what's going on in homestuck. the creator definitely doesn't know

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Trig Discipline posted:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/yotta-pc-case
The Paradigm.

In the beginning,
computer was a huge object began from lab, military & office.
It had to be a box design
from its mega size.

Personal computer began from this paradigm.
From 1970s to 1990s,
to sell the personal computer to consumer,
it was necessary to let people know
their computer has a look of fine terminal for an office.

No matter how simple & nice they made computer,
computer design was in the range of it.
When we see advertisements
from 1980s to 1990s,
we can find out
how much computer industry made an effort on it.
Even when companies sold their computers for a consumer
who wants to own a computer at home,
they made computers that have office look.
Motto of 80s, 90s was
'Bring professional tool to your desk'.

Since new millennium
there was a movement to give a change.
Change was limited.
Because
they just combined computer with a monitor.
It is not a change.

It is two decades from new millennium now.
Computers are still boxes.
Last 40 years,
computer was a box on a desk.

Now it is age of VR.
We can put computer anyplace at home to enjoy VR life.
It is time to change.

Computer as, not a box.
First movement must rise.
Thank you.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Trig Discipline posted:

some dude decided to make community interactive ms paint cyoa webcomic

it did pretty well that he did it a few times, and it eventually resulted in problem sleuth, where he kept the milieu of a cyoa, but dropped the community suggestions

problem sleuth is kinda dense and long but is p good

then he made homestuck which was in the same vein except its impenetrably dense

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

holy moly :eyepop:

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Computer as, not a box.
First movement must rise.
Thank you.

a poem that accurately describes my morning routine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Trig Discipline posted:

yeah I refuse to admit I've heard of terrible but massively popular franchises too

lol what's a call of duty anyway I don't even own a television :smug:

• Locked thread