Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Would Win In a Fight?
This poll is closed.
Goku 59 31.38%
Luffy 15 7.98%
Ichigo 10 5.32%
Rina, from Idolmaster Cinderella Girls 104 55.32%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Srice posted:

I don't like how the general discourse for big blockbusters has shifted from the movie having to make its case for you to see it, to you having to make the case to not see the movie

and then seeing the movie or not makes a statement that puts you in some kind of culture war camp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm tired of the rhetoric that a thing that makes lovely people mad is automatically good.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I kind of want to see the new Ghostbusters just to spite the people who are mad because it stars women, but I probably won't

and its tempting for that reason even if its a crap reason really. i saw the force awakens late, and at times even caught myself thinking I'd better see the new star wars before people start to think I'm one of the star wars woman boycotter guys.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno if it's good or not but I enjoy it :shrug:

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Srice posted:

I'm tired of the rhetoric that a thing that makes lovely people mad is automatically good.

actually, its good. everything makes someone mad, and everyone is poo poo, therefore everything owns. this is bliss

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I don't watch movies in theaters so I don't give a gently caress

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The two most recent theatrical releases I watched were Star Wars and django

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

El Burbo posted:

The two most recent theatrical releases I watched were Star Wars and django

oh, of course i saw it via a gray market android device, take that for granted

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Wait I saw die hard 5 in theaters and that came out after django. I forgot about that one since it kinda sucked

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The last two I went to see were Star Wars and Fury Road. I don't really watch movies unless they turn up on Netflix nowadays.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I don't think I've seen a Ghostbusters movie in it's entirety

Srice posted:

Even if the movie isn't good, there's good in making the lovely people mad. Because they're lovely

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I have a cheap (for London) cinema 20mn from my flat so I've been going more often.

Still annoyed I missed Hateful Eight though, since Django was so good.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Never seen Ghostbusters, never likely to.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Srice posted:

But how else can I feel smugly superior then.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

If you wanna make lovely people mad just say you saw it without actually giving a bad production your money

Jeez

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Knorth posted:

I don't think I've seen a Ghostbusters movie in it's entirety

Even if the movie isn't good, there's good in making the lovely people mad. Because they're lovely

We call that cutting off the nose to spite the face.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I don't even know how the lovely people collective would even find out that you, specifically, paid money to watch a movie unless you have a million Twitter followers

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Knorth posted:

Where I draw the line is supporting it just for that reason. Obviously if someone thinks they'll like it then it's a nice bonus but if they wanna spend their money to support a cause while watching a movie they won't like there are better ways to accomplish that.

The people who are angry about women in Ghostbusters are gonna find a way to spin it into a rallying cry whether it's a hit or a flop, unfortunately.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Strange Quark posted:

We call that cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Not really...? What are we losing exactly?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Knorth posted:

Not really...? What are we losing exactly?

Money, opportunity cost, and

El Burbo posted:

I don't even know how the lovely people collective would even find out that you, specifically, paid money to watch a movie unless you have a million Twitter followers

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Like there's no way that you, as an individual, can increase the anger of people who are already angry that something exists unless you are hanging around people in those circles (which sucks for you), so I don't see why you need to go out of your way to see something you suspect you will not enjoy for that sole reason.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Lol my point wasn't that I personally was going to make lovely people mad, it was that the movie just being made was enough to piss off a bunch of pretty awful people. And that's good, and if I was even remotely fond of Ghostbusters, I'd probably go see it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i think the people fond of ghostbusters are exactly the kind of people not going to see it

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've determined that Mitchie M goes well with Doom 1.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

wake me up when there are insanely problematically big titted anime teen female leads busting the ghosts

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sorry Corals posted:

wake me up when there are insanely problematically big titted anime teen female leads busting the ghosts

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I go to movies because my friends are going and I enjoy spending time with them

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My housemate has found someone else to go see crappy superhero movies with and I'm both glad and sad at the same time.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i saw the marvel movie over the weekend. i liked the robot mans casual around the house attire

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

whoaaaaaaa someone bought me the av. hahaah epic. thanks my dream of a mebae asuka av has been realized

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Nice av

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

For about 3-4 years now I've been free from going to see movies I won't like just because my friends want to

And heck, it's a good feel

If they plan on doing something afterwards I can just make plans to meet them later

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

And this year I've really weaned myself from watching current anime just because other folks are watching it, and only sticking to things I want to watch

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm now a pop culture hermit AMA

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Srice posted:

have you seen bible black?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
What year in the 2000s have you seen the most shows from, this is important.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

have you seen bible black?

I have not!

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Srice posted:

same

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

What year in the 2000s have you seen the most shows from, this is important.

drat, I'd have to think long and hard about that.

If I had to guess probably 06 or 07ish but I could easily be way off the mark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

hachimitsu scans have volume 16 of kuragehime now, after like a year and a half lol, so expect more kuragehime chapters. they said that volume 17 will probably be the last volume

• Locked thread