Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Sophian posted:

Also, how is my source poo poo? Direct footage of the events from cellphones and periscopes seem like pretty solid sources. It's a lot harder to spin things when it's not through the filter of a major media outlet. Remember the protests in Ferguson? The unedited footage of events provided by Democracy Now and Vice showed a very different picture than the slick production of the mainstream media at the time.

When footage on the ground shows a police force tear gassing the community it is a lot different and more credible than two or three unnamed white people yelling at each other for 'reasons'. To think that that can't be filmed and edited to manufacturer a particular narrative is pretty naive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophian
Jun 16, 2007
I'm nothing.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think a middle of the road answer might be that Bernie got ratfucked, in complete accordance with the written rules and procedures.

Now, if these guys who got decertified can show that something fishy happened, e.g., someone changed their registration without their knowledge, maybe this story has some wings.

This was my hunch, pretty much. It's all legal and according to the rules but still bullshit. As far as the registration stuff goes, I believe it was in Arizona that we saw thousands of folks mysteriously have their registration changed without their knowledge and, in some cases, with forged signatures. A few folks even brought their registration cards with them to prove that they were registered Democrats but they still weren't allowed to vote. I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means but when enough people start to have the same story regarding registration shenanigans, it makes my spidey sense tingle.

Edit: New York had a similar issue

Sophian fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 19, 2016

Sophian
Jun 16, 2007
I'm nothing.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That's the claim.

I think it's way more likely that these delegates were independents and either hosed up their registration, or changed back to independent after the primary because they thought it was over.

Ok, fair enough. But if this is the case, is it really that hard for the chair to stop for a minute and clarify everything? Sorry, but after working a 5 year stint in retail, I have a hard time seeing how a person in a public-facing role is so incompetent in framing an unfavorable situation in a manner that is easily understood by ordinary people. Best case scenario, this was extremely disrespectful to people new to the political process and will only serve to alienate this sudden infusion of first time voters. If the DNC was smart, they would've treated this with kid gloves so as to secure the loyalty of the new generation that adores Sanders.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Its pretty easy to lie on the internet. Especially when its your first election and you dont really have any clue how any of this works or whats normal. All you have a vauge theories and accusations and nothing to back any of it up. This is all a bunch of facebook/reddit nonsense.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 19, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sophian posted:

This was my hunch, pretty much. It's all legal and according to the rules but still bullshit. As far as the registration stuff goes, I believe it was in Arizona that we saw thousands of folks mysteriously have their registration changed without their knowledge and, in some cases, with forged signatures. A few folks even brought their registration cards with them to prove that they were registered Democrats but they still weren't allowed to vote. I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means but when enough people start to have the same story regarding registration shenanigans, it makes my spidey sense tingle.

I'm not aware of any forged signature accusations in Arizona, I did see one accusation in New York.
For people who said that they'd been a Democrat forever and then were denied at the polls, they were able to confirm at the Secretary of State's office that they were indeed registered and that their provisional ballot would be counted.

If I had confidence in the Maricopa County Recorder, Helen Purcell, I might believe there were shenanigans. Helen is lovely enough that I believe that incompetence is a far more likely cause.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sophian posted:

Ok, fair enough. But if this is the case, is it really that hard for the chair to stop for a minute and clarify everything? Sorry, but after working a 5 year stint in retail, I have a hard time seeing how a person in a public-facing role is so incompetent in framing an unfavorable situation in a manner that is easily understood by ordinary people. Best case scenario, this was extremely disrespectful to people new to the political process and will only serve to alienate this sudden infusion of first time voters. If the DNC was smart, they would've treated this with kid gloves so as to secure the loyalty of the new generation that adores Sanders.

They were yelling and screaming from the first instant they heard the first thing they didn't like, how do you kids glove that? And why even would you? Because they felt entitled to a share of the delegates beyond the share of the popular vote they earned?

Sanders and his people love caucuses and the arcane bullshit they enable, unless of course it's not them benefiting, then it's time to loving riot. I'm not going to lose sleep over people with no ideological consistency or even the faint glimmer of maybe having loyalty to the party for even a single day being boxed out, especially if "being screwed" is defined as "rules both campaigns agreed on allot delegates proportionally to how the popular vote shook out"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
To be fair, showing up when the other side doesn't, and getting more votes as a result is pretty low on the scale. That said, they should (and apparently did) anticipate that there'd be an attempt to undo that.

Politics is a rough sport, people gently caress over people that they like, there's no reason to expect fair treatment if you're disliked.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Good opportunity to write your Representative and let them know they're an idiot for letting this continue.

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/733107033055055872

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

VitalSigns posted:

Let me make sure I understand the conspiracy theory here. So after winning the Obama coalition of diverse groups of voters across the country, including in Nevada, racking up a lead of hundreds of pledged delegates, and reaching the point at which because of the proportional allocation system Hillary is all but guaranteed to clinch the nomination after the big contests of June 7th, she nevertheless ordered the Nevada Democratic Party to fabricate the registration status of Sanders delegates to unrightfully refuse to seat them and somehow pulling off this devious plot was easier than just making sure all her delegates showed which would have given her the majority anyway... all so she could steal 2 delegates which won't change the outcome of the convention.

Is that right.
You forgot the part about doing it for the explicit purpose of getting our troops killed in multiple foreign wars and to cement the Establishment in a perpetual corpse-reign atop a golden throne made from the bones of young people. And also that she is literally the same as Donald Trump.

You just can't trust her, you see. She's Hillary Clinton!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Sophian posted:

Also, how is my source poo poo? Direct footage of the events from cellphones and periscopes seem like pretty solid sources. It's a lot harder to spin things when it's not through the filter of a major media outlet. Remember the protests in Ferguson? The unedited footage of events provided by Democracy Now and Vice showed a very different picture than the slick production of the mainstream media at the time.

It's Reddit dude. They're the echoest of echo chambers. Any evidence showing anything other than plucky ol bernbros getting stomped on would get down voted all the way to the pedo page.

Should also point out that Hillary has about 3mil more primary votes too. It's legitimate win and bernie needs to shut it down.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 19, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

DemeaninDemon posted:

It's Reddit dude. They're the echoest of echo chambers. Any evidence showing anything other than plucky ol bernbros getting stomped on would get down voted all the way to the pedo page.

Should also point out that Hillary has about 3mil more primary votes too. It's legitimate win and bernie needs to shut it down.

Popular vote doesn't matter. If it did we would be at the end of term two of Hillary.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Obama won that by 0.1% or about 40k votes according to real clear. That's where I got the 3mil number too.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Obama won that by 0.1% or about 40k votes according to real clear. That's where I got the 3mil number too.

Again popular vote doesn't matter. It is the delegate total that matters.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mr Hootington posted:

Again popular vote doesn't matter. It is the delegate total that matters.

Cool! Thanks for letting me know.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Bernie's caucus strategy made trying to get ahead in the popular vote and using that as an argument to lure the superdelegates completely impossible. In fact if every contest had been a primary, Bernie would've probably been :fork: after Super Tuesday I. Well, he essentially was even in this universe.

You just can't make a "the popular vote matters" argument and then also claim caucuses are legitimate results.

Oh gently caress, dem primary chat!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Idk I think people yelling and shouting about things that they are emotionally invested in is an inevitable consequence of getting people who are outsiders to the political process engaged for the first time. That doesn't excuse death threats and the gross misogynistic insults tossed around but a bunch of 60 and 70 year old people saying this is an affront to democracy (in which case I would smugly point out that America is a republic) and acting like this is a scene that has never taken place in modern American politics is loving laughable after 1968.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

His Purple Majesty posted:

Nah that just makes you a closet white nationalist

What does "our good looks" in that quote mean to you

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Joementum posted:

Good opportunity to write your Representative and let them know they're an idiot for letting this continue.

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/733107033055055872

Entirely disagree, without a new AUMF to authorize action it would cripple all overseas antiterrorist activity, as the President, in sixty days, would be in violation of the war powers act without Congressional authorization. I'm not willing to risk the credibility of American use of military force with an obstructionist Congress.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
yeah i'm sure the continuation of drone ops and jsoc stuff is totally contingent on the AUMF heehee hoho haha

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DemeaninDemon posted:

Fine. Add in assisted suicide to help nature get off its lazy rear end. It's up to either the person or the family just like other care.

So did you miss this part?

quote:

Detectives said Hager told them he had contemplated shooting his wife for several days. Hager said his wife had talked about her desire to die, but she never asked him to kill her, according to his arrest report.

That isn't helping nature take its course. That isn't assisted suicide. That's homicide.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

TheQat posted:

yeah i'm sure the continuation of drone ops and jsoc stuff is totally contingent on the AUMF heehee hoho haha

It is if you give a poo poo about the US being a nation ruled by laws rather than the whims of its leaders.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

TheQat posted:

Covert and deniable operations are not, most drone strikes would be. Though it's somewhat of an open question considering that the War Powers Act requires the President to get authority within 60 days of American troops involved in foreign conflict actions overseas and drones are obviously unmanned, but the point remains that the AUMF of 2001 is nonetheless the source of legal authority for most overseas action.

This is particularly relevant since the Paris-Cairo plane that just crashed was likely due to terrorism, according to aviation experts (of which I'm not one obviously, there's not a lot of information known yet).

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

VanSandman posted:

It is if you give a poo poo about the US being a nation ruled by laws rather than the whims of its leaders.

this is a world run by wolves, now

and you're no wolf

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Did anyone else hear this poo poo yesterday like I did?

"Oh wow, did you hear about Venezuela? They don't even have basic services, sanitation in their hospitals, people are dying from preventable diseases and waiting on line for food...THIS is what 'feel the Bern' is really like, amirite?"

I don't even know where to start with how horribly ignorant this statement is. Never ceases to amaze me how good the right is at making buzzwords and twisting facts.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We can't rescind the AUMF, then we couldn't have eternal war forever and ever.

We're just about to beat terrorism you guys, blowing up this next hospital will do it for sure.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VH4Ever posted:

Did anyone else hear this poo poo yesterday like I did?

"Oh wow, did you hear about Venezuela? They don't even have basic services, sanitation in their hospitals, people are dying from preventable diseases and waiting on line for food...THIS is what 'feel the Bern' is really like, amirite?"

I don't even know where to start with how horribly ignorant this statement is. Never ceases to amaze me how good the right is at making buzzwords and twisting facts.

I'm pretty sure the average American, regardless of political party thinks that the rest of the world is some kind of dystopian hellscape where people die from simple diseases and there is no running water with the exception of Western Europe, Canada, and Japan.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

VanSandman posted:

i mean, I care about those things, but i'm not holding out much hope that the drone/jsoc apparatus will be reeled in or even scaled back that much by AUMF repeal. like the NSA saying "okay, we stopped collecting phone data," it would be pretty unverifiable for average citizens. and there would be something to replace it on the table every congressional season

emdash fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 19, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Radish posted:

I'm pretty sure the average American, regardless of political party thinks that the rest of the world is some kind of dystopian hellscape where people die from simple diseases and there is no running water with the exception of Western Europe, Canada, and Japan.

Those things actually are happening in Venezuela, whose insane kleptocracy keeps getting worse.

The Venezuela thread is really depressing. :smith:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Night10194 posted:

Those things actually are happening in Venezuela, whose insane kleptocracy keeps getting worse.

The Venezuela thread is really depressing. :smith:

Showing my ignorance. That's terrible. :smith:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

We can't rescind the AUMF, then we couldn't have eternal war forever and ever.

We're just about to beat terrorism you guys, blowing up this next hospital will do it for sure.

We can't rescind the AUMF without something to replace, because even discounting the legitimate national security reasons, it'd critically undermine American credibility, and that's something that's incredibly dangerous. It's really not in our best interests to do so.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ah yes the war on terror, that great boost to American credibility abroad.

Let's do it forever.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/733280631493382145

PPP getting sharp on the haters

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Radish posted:

I have spoken to Americans who think this is the case in Europe and Canada as well. It's fascinating to meet someone who has literally no curiosity about the world outside their tiny bubble.

Sophian posted:

Edit: New York had a similar issue

And yet here we are discussing conspiracy theories.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Ah yes the war on terror, that great boost to American credibility abroad.

Let's do it forever.

Do you actually know what credibly means in a foreign policy/IR context?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yes it means how much can you please a Henry Kissinger type with your commitment to bombing other countries with no public accountability or oversight.

The ideal of course is a blank check to the executive for endless open-ended war with an undefined enemy.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

I feel moral revulsion at the prospect of a suffering terminally ill person being forced to remain in pain against their will just so the Reverend Mrs Lovejoy doesn't have her religious sensibilities offended, what now.

I feel revolted at people pressuring their loved ones to commit suicide. Also still no answer to being morally and revolted on either cop brutality of rampant visible inequality.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

I feel revolted at people pressuring their loved ones to commit suicide. Also still no answer to being morally and revolted on either cop brutality of rampant visible inequality.

I don't know why you didn't take the angle of why is it ok to execute an enfeebled, old person but not someone who committed genocide.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Radish posted:

Australia wasn't named, checks out.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quote:

In the final days of his life, former Utah Republican Senator Bob Bennett turned to his son and asked him, "Are there any Muslims in this hospital?"

The question caught his son, Jim Bennett, off-guard. It felt like a non-sequitur, and he thought it may have had something to do with his father's recent stroke.

But Jim said his father, even after the stroke, was "sharp as a tack."

"So I was standing there with him in the hospital and out of nowhere he asked me, 'Are there any Muslims in this hospital?'" Jim Bennett told NBC News Wednesday evening.

"I said, 'Yes, dad, I'm sure there are.'" Jim said of the conversation, which was first reported by the Daily Beast. "And he was very emotional and said, 'I want to go up to every single one of them and apologize, I want to go up to every single one of them and tell them how grateful I am that they are in this country and apologize on behalf of the Republican Party for Donald Trump.'"

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/gop-senator-bob-bennett-apologized-muslims-trump-while-deathbed-n576566

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Taerkar posted:

Australia wasn't named, checks out.
As an American that has seen several nature documentaries, I'm pretty sure that getting water in Australia requires taking a bucket down to the local billabong, where one is constantly at risk of attacks from crocodiles and drop bears.

• Locked thread